Free Windows Vista Business & Office Professional 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally finished watching the videos, and they're all showing as completed, but no email was sent.

Here's hoping it worked.

We're sorry, there are no more gifts available. There are still plenty of things to explore and to learn about Windows Vista. Enter now to learn more!

they've been sold out for awhile now.. don't waste your time.

Anyone get an email after the 'sold out' message was displayed? I finished my last video right around the time it went up, and have recieved no email.

Anyone have any luck?

Anyone know do you have to let the videos play to the end for them to show complete? I ran the first two videos to the end. The third one I fast forwarded to the end and it's still showing PENDING.

[quote name='horrido']Anyone get an email after the 'sold out' message was displayed? I finished my last video right around the time it went up, and have recieved no email.

Anyone have any luck?[/quote]

They do the confirmation e-mails in batches, and as far as I know, it takes a couple days for that e-mail to be sent out after the video is marked as complete.

[quote name='Chitown021']Anyone know do you have to let the videos play to the end for them to show complete? I ran the first two videos to the end. The third one I fast forwarded to the end and it's still showing PENDING.[/quote]

I don't think so. To be honest, I got in when it was hard to access the site. For some reason none of the Vista videos would even open for me (got an error message everytime I tried to watch them), but it still counted as me watching them.

To be on the safe side though, I did go in and "watch" other videos just in case it didn't get counted.

[quote name='maddfrog']I don't think so. To be honest, I got in when it was hard to access the site. For some reason none of the Vista videos would even open for me (got an error message everytime I tried to watch them), but it still counted as me watching them.

To be on the safe side though, I did go in and "watch" other videos just in case it didn't get counted.[/quote]

I went in and let the third video (the one stuck on pending) run for the entire length on my PC while I did other things last night. I also clicked on a couple of additional videos for backup. I finally have 3 videos showing completed so hopefully I am good to go.

I guess they send out e-mails once the videos are complete to confirm that you're getting the offer??

My "My Stuff" page is now showing that I have completed the offer and my software will ship within 6-8 weeks of the product launch.

My Office 2007 was shown completed, and said it will ship,( no email , just on the my stuff page) I received some emails to rate the webcasts, are these required? i'm assuming it's just standard MSDN workings, watch a webcast, get a survey.

[quote name='fireball343']My Office 2007 was shown completed, and said it will ship,( no email , just on the my stuff page) I received some emails to rate the webcasts, are these required? i'm assuming it's just standard MSDN workings, watch a webcast, get a survey.[/quote]

I've gotten the same thing. My page says that the software will ship and I've received e-mails to rate the site.

According to the channel 9 site, a person who is connected to this MS promotion stated an e-mail will only be sent when the products you've applied for is ready to be shipped. He also went on to state that it may take the full 6-8 weeks, since they are still in manufacturing.

I guess we'll just have to wait until mid to late Jan. to get an update.

I'm already using the release versions of both Vista Ultimate and Office 2007, and they are both really nice. Vista has got some really great new features but isn't exactly a revolution. Office 2007 is another story though. Anyone that hasn't used it before be prepared to be a bit confused at first. It's radically different, but way better than the previous versions.

[quote name='maddfrog']According to the channel 9 site, a person who is connected to this MS promotion stated an e-mail will only be sent when the products you've applied for is ready to be shipped. He also went on to state that it may take the full 6-8 weeks, since they are still in manufacturing.

I guess we'll just have to wait until mid to late Jan. to get an update.[/quote]

Since it's free I have no problem waiting until Jan for it to be shipped!

[quote name='maddfrog']Just to let everyone know that the confirmation e-mails are being sent out. Received mine today.[/quote]

Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep an eye out for mine.

Weird, I only got confirmation for Vista.

vistajr3.jpg

Oh well, beggers can't be choosers.

Sporadic, you get a confirmation e-mail for each. It took around 2-3 hours to get the second e-mail for office. So don't hoild out hope.

erehwon, I'm printing out the W-9 form as we speak. I was thinking does anyone know when and how you pay for the taxes? I was thinking it would be something that would show up next year during tax time. I guess I could go take a look through what I can find on the net.

[quote name='maddfrog']Sporadic, you get a confirmation e-mail for each. It took around 2-3 hours to get the second e-mail for office. So don't hoild out hope.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've just gotten my office confirmation.

Got the confirmation for my free Vista thing a few hours ago. If I actually get that thing, I'll be pleased as punch.

I got a confirmation email for Vista earlier today. I'm not going to get too excited until I actually have the disc in my hands, though.

I have both confirmations, but I'm weary of this W9 business. I'm still not completely convinced this is 100% legit and that they won't sell/abuse my information. The fact that they want me to file it at their website (and thus I need to put my social security number) is making me extremely suspicious.

[quote name='Moxio']I have both confirmations, but I'm weary of this W9 business. I'm still not completely convinced this is 100% legit and that they won't sell/abuse my information. The fact that they want me to file it at their website (and thus I need to put my social security number) is making me extremely suspicious.[/QUOTE]

You don't have to fill out the W9 form.

That's only if you want both of them.

If you are worried about doing it online, you can print it out and fax it to them.

----------

btw, everyone.

We should be shipping late this week and early next week.

Apologies for the delay. We had an issue over the holidays and with most everyone out we had to wait until people returned to get resolved.

So sit tight. We're putting them together and slapping shipping labels on 'em folks

http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=270923#270923

Got my confirmation for Vista also, was stuck in my spam folder so I probably wouldn't have checked it if I didn't know about the confirmation e-mail.

I got my confirmation in the mail today also.

As far as the w9 goes. When Ive gone to Renton to do testing, depending on the situation and how many times youve tested. (like the monetary value of all of your "girfs" ) you do have to fill out a w9. I think it actually says on the powertogether site WHY you need to fill out the W9

EDIT

This is directly from the PowerTogether site.

Why do I have to provide my Social Security Number on a W9 form to receive my gift?

The combined retail value for participants who register and qualify for both the Microsoft Office and Windows Vista offer is $798. IRS rules require that any gift over $600 is taxable which requires us to collect W9 information from participants and to file a 1099 with the IRS for the value of both products. This is why you received an email that directed you to a secure website to provide that information and we must receive it before shipping your product.

Got both of mine too. I had said I was going to upgrade to Vista as soon as I found a good deal on it, but I never guessed that deal would be "free". :p

For those people that are worried of sending personal info online, you can't do it. What you do is fill out the form on MS site and it will put it into a PDF form of the actual W9 form. You can't file it through the net because they need your signature and date.

Sending mine form later today.

Got my confirmation, they are supposed to be coming next week, not in 6-8 like the email said (that was the original plan) so expect them next week... and if you are worried about the W2 forum, its microsoft, not some 3rd party site, and i think the fact that they are making you claim all of this makes them more legit, that is just me thought...

Still no confirmation e-mail for me. I double checked the website and it still says I completed all of the videos and they would be sending my software once confirmation is complete (6-8 weeks). I had better check my spam folder...

I really wish I took advantage of this when I had the chance. In what way does Vista improve graphics and stuff? I have no idea how this stuff works.

[quote name='d00k']I really wish I took advantage of this when I had the chance. In what way does Vista improve graphics and stuff? I have no idea how this stuff works.[/QUOTE]

It has the ability of better graphics over XP, You still need hardware that can take advantage of DX10 and programmers that use that capability.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']It has the ability of better graphics over XP, You still need hardware that can take advantage of DX10 and programmers that use that capability.[/quote]

Actually there is a little bit more than that. On my home computer that I use for gaming I have a 26 inch widescreen lcd tv for gaming, and when I used XP a lot of my games would get stretched because they didn't support the widescreen resolutions. Since I've switched to Vista I can actually play those games in widescreen resolutions. I don't know how it works, it just does.:lol:

[quote name='d00k']I really wish I took advantage of this when I had the chance. In what way does Vista improve graphics and stuff? I have no idea how this stuff works.[/QUOTE]
The point of Vista is to make your computer run like shit.

Stick with XP until you absolutely can't stand it anymore.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Stick with XP until you absolutely can't stand it anymore.[/QUOTE]

Or dual boot and only use Vista for the handful of DX10 games that will be released in 2007, and keep it around for future DX10 tittles.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']The point of Vista is to make your computer run like shit.

Stick with XP until you absolutely can't stand it anymore.[/quote]

I love all these forums and the people that can't shut up despite not having a clue what they are talking about.

[quote name='n25philly']I love all these forums and the people that can't shut up despite not having a clue what they are talking about.[/QUOTE]

Pickup the latest issue of Games for Windows (the mag formerly known as CGW). Though they are using a not quite ready for prime time release, Vista is running DX9 titles significantly slower than XP. It has been speculated that this will not be remedied by final versions of Vista, though. Perhaps brute horsepower in the form of higher clocked CPU's may help your Vista PC to run DX9 titles at what you have come to expect from XP. Also, forget about running any DOS games whatsoever. The author of the article (D. Gladstone) tried running Crusader: No Remorse and failed.

According to another forum, they have started to ship to participants.

Also, you should be able to upgrade to Vista Ultimate for $139.00

Finally, I also read something about once you have a valid Vista Ultimate code, you can purchase additional "Home" licenses for $49.00 for a limited time.

[quote name='Sporadic']I'm guessing they are give the real deal out since you have to file a W-9 if you apply for both of them.[/quote]

Never, ever give out your SS# to anyone especially online. That's how people get scammed.

Damn I signed up for Office only and still have yet to see my e-mail. I've been checking my junk e-mail folder and haven't come across it but it's possible I might've deleted it.

The site still says I qualified so I hope mine will be on the way.

Have any of you guys sent off that W-9 form? I'm not really sure if I want to send that out since it has my social security number on it. I wonder which gift I'll get if I don't send it in.

[quote name='lupinckc']According to another forum, they have started to ship to participants.

Also, you should be able to upgrade to Vista Ultimate for $139.00

Finally, I also read something about once you have a valid Vista Ultimate code, you can purchase additional "Home" licenses for $49.00 for a limited time.[/QUOTE]

Hrm...I may have to upgrade then, since Business doesn't include the Media Center functionality. Here's a chart of what the different version do & don't include for anyone that's interested:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/editions/default.mspx

[quote name='erehwon']Have any of you guys sent off that W-9 form? I'm not really sure if I want to send that out since it has my social security number on it. I wonder which gift I'll get if I don't send it in.[/quote] I didn't and I never will. (1) those free Microsoft freebies are not worth giving out SSN for; (2) they are not worth getting tax implications for...at least to me. I can always use the software at work :)

Just a status on mine, I applied for just the free copy of Vista not the office and I too got my confirmation letter about a week ago, it however doesnt mention anything about a W9 or filling out any paper work..

gift.jpg

[quote name='MagicArc']Just a status on mine, I applied for just the free copy of Vista not the office and I too got my confirmation letter about a week ago, it however doesnt mention anything about a W9 or filling out any paper work..

gift.jpg
[/quote]

If you only ordered one of the gifts you won't get the W-2 form request. It was only sent for both because the "value" of the combined gifts is high enough it must be reported to the IRS for tax purposes.

I got emails for both and I don't think I'm going to do the tax form since I'm not comfortable with sending in my SSN. I'm wondering what one I'll get if I don't. I rather have vista than office.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back