Free XBLA game: Aegis Wing

Worth every penny!!!

Seriously, did the three guys who made this ever play shooters? A room full of dead monkeys could have come up with something more fun than this!!!

[quote name='lurknomore']I know that it is free, but is it even worth the bother? It is sounding as if it is not even worth being free.[/quote]maybe for gamerpoints?

It can't hurt to download and try (simply because it's free), but seriously - there are much better shooters from the late 80's than this poop-fest!

You honestly have to wonder how hard it must be to develop for XBLA when something of this quality makes it out there...

Man, you guys are harsh... I thought it was fun. I played it for about 2 hours. There are a couple of challenging achievements to grab (that Ace one looks pretty hard as the game ended before I could get that many points).

I'd say it would have been an OK 400 point game (barely). Hopefully they keep stuff like this coming for free!

I found it way too slow with way too boring of enemies. That being said, it didn't cost me a dime and I will keep it just for fun. If there had been a demo, it would not have convinced me to purchase.

I wonder what the odds are of that recent Dreamcast title, Last Hope, getting ported to XBLA? It would seem a perfect fit for shooters.

Looking at the prices of some of these XBLA games, the max price should be 400 points, and even then, i woud say free after 6 months...

[quote name='elwood731']I found it way too slow with way too boring of enemies. That being said, it didn't cost me a dime and I will keep it just for fun. If there had been a demo, it would not have convinced me to purchase.

I wonder what the odds are of that recent Dreamcast title, Last Hope, getting ported to XBLA? It would seem a perfect fit for shooters.[/quote]

I would seriously freak if they ported DC games on the XBLA. I would like to see some cannon spike action.

[quote name='elwood731']I found it way too slow with way too boring of enemies. [/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly. Thank God it's free.

I find it funny how many people get all serious in these forums about things getting reposted. Give it a rest already. It's not like your paying to be a part of this web community, so what if you see the same content being posted. If you've read it already, then go to the next topic and ignore it. This would be different if you were paying a monthly fee to obtain this content and saw the same content being posted over and over. Search is an option, not a requirement. If everyone sat around and searched the entire board before they posted something, half of them would never even post. It's really pretty stupid to be getting your panties in a bundle over.

As for the game I wasn't aware and downloaded it. It's pretty fun, but I wish it was a bit more colorful. There seems to be a certain color scheme they are sticking to which seems a bit darker, maybe it's the tv I'm using.

The game seems short to me with only 6 levels, and with co-op the game can get really easy. But free is free:)

you what though, what can you ask from 3 MS Soft interns. They did the best job with the tools they had. Its not like they had a billion dollar budget and could make this game better. Its a good SHUMP for what they used. Thanks MS Soft interns for allowing the game to be free.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Sure, it's another schmup, but the linking ships together so one guy can steer and the other shoots is unique, or at least I've never heard of a game that used that idea before. [/quote]

in the free multiplayer top-down space shooter Subspace/Continuum (PC) you can link ships in what is called a turret where you and several other players basically pile on another player's ship. you control your guns and bombs while the other guy "drives".

fun game, haven't played it in forever, but I wasted many a night on Continuum playing CTF in the Extreme Games zone.

[quote name='ryanflucas']I find it funny how many people get all serious in these forums about things getting reposted. Give it a rest already. It's not like your paying to be a part of this web community, so what if you see the same content being posted. If you've read it already, then go to the next topic and ignore it. This would be different if you were paying a monthly fee to obtain this content and saw the same content being posted over and over. Search is an option, not a requirement. If everyone sat around and searched the entire board before they posted something, half of them would never even post. It's really pretty stupid to be getting your panties in a bundle over.

As for the game I wasn't aware and downloaded it. It's pretty fun, but I wish it was a bit more colorful. There seems to be a certain color scheme they are sticking to which seems a bit darker, maybe it's the tv I'm using.[/quote]
AFAIK its been dropped for 2 pages now. No need to keep talking about it. Not that I disagree with you.

I don't think it's too bad. I was never a shooter fan in their hey day, but it's nice to revisit the genre.

It may be free, but it's free for a reason -- it's absolutely horrible. As an intern project I suppose they did a good job...but as a game that is supposed to be entertaining it's borderline-awful. I agree with another poster that a 1985 arcade shooter is infinitely more satisfying than this.

IMO it's barely worth the energy to download. Certainly after playing it for a few minutes I have no inclination to ever play it again.

It's definitely decent. I don't see myself playing this enough to get many of the achievements but I suppose it could be more fun playing multiplayer. It was worth the couple seconds it took to download and doesn't really take any space so I'll keep it.

[quote name='phantomfriar2002']It may be free, but it's free for a reason -- it's absolutely horrible. As an intern project I suppose they did a good job...but as a game that is supposed to be entertaining it's borderline-awful. I agree with another poster that a 1985 arcade shooter is infinitely more satisfying than this.

IMO it's barely worth the energy to download. Certainly after playing it for a few minutes I have no inclination to ever play it again.[/quote]

It was developed by INTERNS. What exactly are you expecting, Einhander?(look it up if you don't know it)

As a game developer myself, interns are just that, inexperienced individuals who don't have the skill sets to master a field yet. Considering everything that goes into making a game, I am highly impressed considering their ability (or lack thereof). The people who bitch about anything FREE simply amaze me.

[quote name='R0wdi']Does anyone know if this game is exclusively free for the 16th only?[/quote]

From everything I've seen, it's always free. Just download it already.

[quote name='jhaymond1']This MB tends to get on my nerves..and no, not because people don't always use the search function, or not because people ask questions that were asked days ago, or not because someone doesn't go back and read a thread that is 30 pages long...it is people like you who are nice enough to point out things like that.

Does it really bother you that much? By doing what you are doing, you are basically bumping a topic that has already been discussed; therefore, you are doing the opposite of what you want done, which is to see this thread sink to the bottom.

As a person who works 50+ hours a week, I would never go back and read a thread 30 pages long, nor would I search previous days threads to see if it had been mentioned.

Someone was trying to post something to help everyone out, get over that it has been covered. Also, if someone asks a question, aren't we all in this for the same goal in mind..to get videogames at a cheaper price?? Not to sit here and put up a hissy fit because someone overlooked something.

Sorry I had to vent but I have seen this far too many times by far too many regulars to let it go. Let's share the love people, and if something has already been covered, just let it go.

With that said..if it is in the wrong forum...FLAME THEM!!;) Kidding..[/QUOTE]
What a waste of time. SHUT IT UP!

[quote name='mtxbass1']It was developed by INTERNS. What exactly are you expecting, Einhander?(look it up if you don't know it)

As a game developer myself, interns are just that, inexperienced individuals who don't have the skill sets to master a field yet. Considering everything that goes into making a game, I am highly impressed considering their ability (or lack thereof). The people who bitch about anything FREE simply amaze me.[/QUOTE]
Just reminded me of a Simpsons episode.

---------
Comic Book Guy: Last night's "Itchy & Scratchy" was, without a doubt, the worst episode ever. Rest assured that I was on the Internet within minutes, registering my disgust throughout the world.

Bart: Hey, I know it wasn't great, but what right do you have to complain?

Comic Book Guy: As a loyal viewer, I feel they owe me.

Bart: What? They're giving you thousands of hours of entertainment for free. What could they possibly owe you? If anything, you owe them.

Comic Book Guy: [pauses] Worst episode ever.

[quote name='MrNEWZ']Wow, you flew through. I'm missing a few.[/quote]

i can help you out if you want, most of the achievements are pretty easy to get through multiplayer. trying to finish singleplayer with 185,000 points however is freaking hard..

bread's done
Back