Frequent disconnections from XBL. ONLY XBL.

Sofa King Kool

CAGiversary!
Feedback
18 (100%)
Just posting to inquire whether or not anyone else experiences frequent disconnections from XBL. I know everyone is going to immediately say it's my connection, but it honestly isn't. Everything else in the house works just fine; we've got three, sometimes four computers and two Wiis that all connect with no issues at all. It's just my 360.

Weird, unexplainable problems:

- I'll turn the console on, and the auto sign-in won't work because it cant find a connection, so I sign in manually and it connects for a few seconds, then disconnects. The next five minutes is a battle between me and the console where I press "connect", it connects for a few seconds, then disconnects. I usually have to do this anywhere from 5 to 25 times.

- Once I'm connected, if I immediately start moving through the tabs or selecting things, it disconnects me again. I usually have to let it sit for a minute or two after I've connected.

- Certain games disconnect more often than others. For instance, I never get disconnected from COD4, but I can rarely make it through a single chapter in Left 4 Dead due to incessant disconnections.

- Once I get disconnected after being connected long enough to actually play for a few minutes, I have absolutely no trouble reconnecting, proving that my connection is fine. Ten minutes later, it happens again.

This is absolutely infuriating. Everything is as it should be, but I just cannot maintain a solid connection on this thing. I can play games on my PC for hours without so much as a hiccup, but my 360 just will not stay connected. At this point, I'm completely convinced something is broken or not working properly in the console, because it's the only machine in the house giving me trouble.

If anyone has any sort of input on how to fix this, please tell me.

i've been having problems too. when playing catan, as soon as the game is over it tells me i'm disconnected from xbox live. i press a and everything is back to normal. it's also been telling me similar thing when downloading stuff from marketplace.

I feel really bad for my friends online. They have to see/hear that little notification every time I sign in, which I imagine gets really annoying after ten times...

This may seem obvious and you may have already done this, but when you first sign on, go to the settings menu (whatever it's called) and see what your internet connection looks like. That may give you a better idea of something.

I can never stay connected to psn but I never have problems with XBL

If you use a wireless adapter try using a cable. If you use a cable try using a wireless adapter or a different cable.

Also be sure that whichever you use is fully plugged into the port and isn't loose.

[quote name='kilatofu']Did you get a new router? You prolly have done this already, but try to open up the right ports in your router. I experienced the same exact problems your facing, when I opened up the ports it fixed my problems. Here is a link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908874

Hope this helps.[/QUOTE]

That's probably the solution, actually. It's our same old router, but about a year ago my father changed some firewall settings on it and, now that I think about it, that's about when I started having trouble.

Only problem is I have no idea how to access the router settings...

First go through the Xbox 360 connection wizard, if it says there is a NAT issue then...

See what is listed for your XBox 360s Ip Address and write it down. May be something like 192.168.1.11

On a Windows Vist PC
Click Start -> then type CMD in the search box

On a Windows 2000/XP pc
Click Start -> Run -> type CMD

A DOS prompt should pop up

type IPCONFIG

at the bottom of the info should be something that says Default Gateway and has some numbers like 192.168.1.1

Goto internet explorer and in the address bar type that number that was shown in the DOS prompt next to Default Gateway, press enter

You should either get into the router or be asked for a username and password

The default username is usually admin and the default password is usually either admin or password... if a username and password has been set in the router as it should be, ask your father to log in.

The ports you need to open and forward to your XBox 360s Ip Address are listed here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908874
  • TCP 80
  • UDP 88
  • UDP 3074
  • TCP 3074
  • UDP 53
  • TCP 53
Also check your ethernet cable, if it is damaged in any way such as the cord has been creased or actually pinched or folded, you may just have a bad cable.

At one point I started getting random drops from parties on xbl, then sometimes dropping from certain games (like Castle Crashers), but not every game. It turned out to be my router. I had the most updated firmware and changed MTU to the suggested amount for xbl, but it was like 7 years old. I bought a new one and fixed all my problems.

I used to have similar issues. The problem was coming from the Cat5 line. I used to run it through a surge protector and there were very slight fluctuations to the Xbox from it (mostly from other things startup). The xbox is very temperamental to changes with internet connectivity.

bread's done
Back