Freshly Picked: Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland Official Thread - Now Shipping!

Troz1820

CAGiversary!
Feedback
57 (100%)
[size=+2]Now Shipping![/size]

tingle08.jpg
tingle_rpg_europe.jpg
tingle03.jpg

More Screenshots
tingle01.jpg
tingle02.jpg
tingle04.jpg

tingle05.jpg
tingle06.jpg
tingle07.jpg

Official Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland website - Join Tingle, 35 and single, on his quest for happiness :rofl:

Pre-Orders are available at NCSX for those of you wishing to do so at a steep price of $49.90 (ouch)!

Also available at overseas sites that will ship to the US:
Sendit.com - £24.89 ($50.33) plus shipping
Game.co.uk - £24.99 ($50.53) plus shipping

Nintendo of Europe has annouced that the Tingle RPG is coming to Europe on September 14th! I thought for sure this game would never be translated to English. There's no date for the US yet, and who knows if there will be after the supposed negative response given to Nintendo through their survey a while back (not me, I wanted this game). There is no US version on the way. The US audience has given no reason for Nintendo of America to bring this game over here. For me, it's more about the gameplay. Taken from the Wikipedia page on the game:
The object of Freshly Picked - Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland is to continually build up a tower found under a spring to the west of Tingle's house. In order to do this the player must feed rupees into the tower. Subsequent gameplay is built upon finding as much money as possible, but is also mixed with traditional Zelda dungeon adventuring and puzzle elements. Among this, however, is a deep bargaining system for interacting with NPCs, as items and information must be bought via offering what the player thinks is a suitable price. If the price is too low, the player may not receive anything, but if the price offered is too high they may be needlessly spending too much.
Your only option is to import. Import Away!

09.12 Update
Now shipping from NCSX!

09.06 Update
Nintendo Europe interview with game producer Kensuke Tanabe from Nintendo (SPD3) and supervisor Mari Shirakawa from Vanpool (Shamelessly ripped from this post at NeoGAF) posted in spoiler below.
Nintendo of Europe: Many interesting characters appeared in the Zelda games over the years. What was the particular attraction in picking Tingle out of the bunch to star in his own game?

Kensuke Tanabe: "A little while before we started this project, I was talking with my boss at that time, saying; 'Nintendo will need to consider promoting new characters other than Mario and Link.'

"We were looking for a character that had a totally different flavour from Mario and Link and who would have a strong impact, and we came to the conclusion, 'What about Tingle?'

"He is not a cool guy at all, and he is not a character whom everybody likes. However, at least I can say he is a person who cannot be ignored.

"I believed there was a chance his public image could be changed from unfavourable to favourable depending on what kind of game we made, so I took a risk and chose him, despite knowing he was not liked by the people - especially in the U.S."

NoE: The character Wario is like the anti-Mario. Do you think Tingle is the anti-Link, or would you describe him in a different way?

KT: "I think Tingle is a character that is not specially made with Link in mind, but that was created in a very relaxed manner by a character designer at EAD (the Entertainment Analysis & Development Department at Nintendo Co., Ltd,. Ed.), who was also in charge of character design of F-Zero and Star Fox.

"The concept of the character is 'a middle-aged guy who dreams of becoming a fairy.' In this project, we wanted to make this character with ridiculous characteristics look ever more unique. Therefore in my opinion, Tingle should not be compared with Link or thought of as being anti-Link or pro-Link. Of course, there aren’t any problems at all if you regard him as an anti-Link character."

NoE: Can you tell us something about the birth of this game? Did you set out to make a Tingle game and develop the gameplay concept from there, or did it go in a different way?

KT: "I think I have answered this question in the previous answers, however, I would like to reiterate the points. Firstly, we chose to use Tingle in the game. Next we asked Vanpool, who started to work with Nintendo at that time, to develop this game because I thought the company fitted well with the character. Then, we talked with Vanpool’s creators about the game concepts. When we came to the conclusion that every problem in the game could be solved with money, the potential we saw in the Tingle game world suddenly broadened.

"For example, the main character never grows; he pays mercenary soldiers to defend him. In the game, the information you will be able to obtain depends on how much money you spend and you will have to negotiate all the time. This is the idea that we came up with in the first place."

NoE: Tingle will do anything to earn Rupees. What is the key to successful negotiations in the game?

Mari Shirakawa: "The key is not to become too greedy! However, I would also recommend the thrill you will feel when you avidly negotiate in order to earn one more Rupee. Although it is not clearly mentioned, there are some hidden hints In the game - in the dialogues for example - that suggest standard market prices of goods. When you look at the faces of the characters you are bartering with, their expressions will sometimes help you decide on your approach. If you look for these pointers, I think you will be able to make money more efficiently."

NoE: How does the game use the DS-specific features?

MS: "You will use the +Control Pad to move your character, but you use the stylus for other controls. We have made many places in the game that you can interact with via the Touch Screen, so you should try to interact with various things you find. There are some areas of the gameplay where your interaction will have no connection with the main storyline and I think you may also find it fun to look for these places.

"You can also touch the Touch Screen to help Tingle during battle. I think this is more exciting than expected, and will make you feel as though you are actually joining in the battle.

"In terms of utilising the dual screens, the calculator that appears during the negotiations is a good example. We wanted players to look at the characters’ faces, so the upper screen shows half of the characters’ faces in close-up, while the lower screen only shows the calculator. I believe that seeing the half-face helps to enhance players’ bartering."

NoE: There are many differences between Tingle’s adventure and those of Link in the Legend of Zelda, but there are also some similarities. Can you mention some things that Zelda fans will recognize in Tingle’s adventure?

MS: "As Kensuke Tanabe has also mentioned, this title has a different starting point than the Legend of Zelda series. Also, we did not want to make the game something only Zelda fans can enjoy. So Zelda fans will find many differences.

"In fact, I myself have not played the Zelda series a lot, and I sometimes felt lonely when I was the only one who could not participate in the lively conversation about the Zelda games during our development meetings! We did not want players to have that feeling, so we incorporated things from Zelda games to the extent that Zelda fans can smile, and someone who doesn't know the Zelda series will also enjoy them.

"If you are a Zelda fan, I think you may find the sound effects and geographic names in the game familiar. Besides that though, you will find items with unique names with unique explanations, and there are lots of interesting things to discover. So I think if you look carefully at these details and thoroughly play the game you will have a better understanding of the different world of Freshly-Picked: Tingle’s Rosy Rupeeland."

NoE: How do you see the future for Tingle? Will we see him again in Zelda games or will he be doing his own thing from now?

KT: "I heard from EAD that they decided not to use Tingle after Wind Waker because Tingle was unpopular, especially in the US. As a matter of fact, he did not actually appear in Twilight Princess. You may want to ask Mr. Aonuma about the future plan!

"As for our team, SPD3 (Software Planning & Development Department, Production Group No.3), we have just started on our making-Tingle-a-main-character-project. In the works we produce, he will continue to move in his own direction."

NoE: Have you spoken to Mr. Sakurai (developer of Super Smash Bros. Brawl) about Tingle appearing in Super Smash Bros. Brawl?

MS: "We have talked only within our team about how It would be great if Tingle appeared in Smash Bros. However, we have never brought a proposal to Mr.Sakurai regarding this. I just hope he appears as a character some time in the future. Although he would be a very weak character to play as!"

NoE: Do you have plans for a Wii game featuring Tingle, and if so, what kind of game would that be?

MS: "We hope to spread this unique character around, more and more all over the world. Unfortunately, however, there isn’t any concrete plan at this point in time. Meanwhile, I am actually curious about what impression European players will have of ths title and what kind of sequel they will expect."

NoE: If you had to summarize the appeal of this game into one sentence, what would it be?

KT: "It has the appearance of something covered with colourful peel, which may make it look unlike a Nintendo game, however, what lies inside will tell you that it is surely a Nintendo game."

MS: "I would say this is a game that gives you a glimpse of your hidden aspects! Because the theme of the game is money, it's close to ordinary reality and I think your nature will spontaneously come out. Please enjoy your journey as you look for yourself!"

NoE: Thank you very much for your time!

If you still think this is coming to the US:
KT: "I heard from EAD that they decided not to use Tingle after Wind Waker because Tingle was unpopular, especially in the US. As a matter of fact, he did not actually appear in Twilight Princess. You may want to ask Mr. Aonuma about the future plan!
Thank you US customers that complained about Tingle and voted against him in Nintendo's poll a while back. You can go fuck yourself!

Previous Updates

Official site opened

First video for the English version

Screenshots added

NCSX has pre-orders available for the import now, if anyone is interested. I've updated the first post with the link and price.

Yikes! This price makes baby jesus roll over in his grave. I'll pick it up around Christmas and/or hope for a US release.

lol, I thought the box-art for this was a joke at first.

That upwards-thrusting erect tower is only a tiny bit suggestive, eh?

Totally importing this once I have a ds.

[quote name='Strell']WILL BE IMPORTED.

BEST NEWS EVER.
[/QUOTE]
This. Even though it's an extremely old post, and I've known about this for months. :lol:

Screenshots from the English version added to first post. Only 2 weeks to go until release! I've got it preordered (can't believe I'm spending $50 on a DS game) and will give impressions when it arrives.

Official site opened! Love the tagline: Join Tingle, 35 and single, on his quest for happiness! :rofl:

The official site has a good amount of information, and it looks like an interview will be posted at some point. I'm not a Club Nintendo member so hopefully someone that is will post it elsewhere online.

I made this the official thread since I've been updating the first post and seem to be one of a very small group very interested in this game.

I would definitely buy this game if it were released in the US. It's a much harder sell when it's a $50 import though. I'm sure I'll eventually consider importing it if they really decide not to release it here. Which makes no sense to me... even if it's not popular, the game's already been translated into English, so what reason could they possibly have for not at least giving it a limited release? How is it even possible that we'd get stuff like Cubivore and Electroplankton, but not a Zelda spinoff(that's already been translated and everything)?

I wasn't interested in this at first, but after seeing the info posted here, I'm thinking I might have to import this one. It was really the '35 and single' tagline that convinced me. :) So thanks, Troz1820!

How did I miss this... So that $50 price is the lowest price huh? Man that hurts.. This looks just odd enough to lure me in though.

And we're absotively posolutely sure this will never ever ever see the light of day in the U.S.? Once Nintendo goes to the trouble of doing the translation, it seems like they'd take that one extra step and release it here, even if only through their Web site.

[quote name='pete5883']Only if you're turning 35 and are single.[/QUOTE]

Dang, then it isn't a coincidence. Though in this case I guess that would be good lol.

Spoiler video of what you get when you collect all of the rupee treasures in the game:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/107035.html

Video contains the identity of the villain in the game, so that's a major spoiler (especially if you're just starting the game), also a spoiler of Pinkle's true identity. Don't watch if you plan on playing through the game yourself and collecting all of the treasures.

[quote name='Snake2715']How did I miss this... So that $50 price is the lowest price huh? Man that hurts.. This looks just odd enough to lure me in though.[/quote]
European DS game prices are absurd. 40€ is the standard price for DS games, and 30€ is the budget title price. That's ridiculous even before you convert it to USD. The exchange rate raped my bank account this summer

[quote name='Yertle']European DS game prices are absurd. 40€ is the standard price for DS games, and 30€ is the budget title price. That's ridiculous even before you convert it to USD. The exchange rate raped my bank account this summer[/QUOTE]

yeah I try to stay away from imports. Depending on if I get some stuff on ebay I may pick this up still.

[quote name='maigoyume']and for the love of all things good, don't start wearing green spandex[/QUOTE]

I did that back before Tingle made it cool. When it was still underground.

I was the Lime Ladies Man. The Sauve Sage. The Malachite Magnum.

Then Tingle showed up and ruined everything for me. He kept calling himself the Aquamarine Asstronaut, and I think we all know why.

Not groovy.

I've logged around 5-6 hours in the land of Tingle and have been pleased with the experience thus far. Let me start by saying this game is not a RPG, nor is it a platformer. I think the best classification would be that of a classic adventure game with some action elements. Tingle can attack enemies, but you have very little control over the battle.

Battles:
Battles occur when Tingle or his bodyguard (more on that later) run into an enemy, which generates a sort of dust cloud battle animation consisting of the attacker and the enemy. You have two ways of influencing the battle: Tapping with the stylus to "help" Tingle or the bodyguard OR moving the battle towards another enemy to get them inside the battle. The more enemies you have in your battle the better your rewards will be with, of course, greater potential damage. Damage to Tingle is the loss of Rupees. Run out of Rupees and you die. Rewards from battles consist of Rupees and items.

Rupees:
As you probably know by now, Tingle's existence is fueled by Rupees as is the entire world in the game. Tingle can gain Rupees via battles, treasures, tasks, map-making, and items. Treasure can be found in the dungeons and throughout the land and generally contains a significant number of Rupees. Tasks generally consist of helping another character with a particular problem. The catch is that you get to decide the amount of your reward. Ask for too much and you'll end up with nothing for being too greedy. In some cases if you ask for too much you'll get a second chance, but not always. Map-making involves circling key landmarks to locate them on a map. Of course, you first have to find and purchase a map of the area before you can begin. You then sell the maps to the town's map-maker for profit. Lastly, items can be either sold as-is for very little or can be used in recopies, which sell for a great deal more. All finished recopies are stored in bottles, which you'll gain throughout your journey. Some recopies are given to you whereas others must be negotiated.

Negotiations:
All transactions and conversations involve negotiating a price, aside from a select few. This negotiation is generally one-way and can result in the loss of rupees. For example, in the beginning of the game you are charged with finding a fairy for the daughter a townsperson. You must give the mother Rupees to get any information. The more Rupees you give, the more information she will dispense. Later in the game you need to negotiate purchases. If you try an amount too little, your offer will be denied and the Rupees you offered will be taken as well, and they do not accumulate towards your purchase! Negotiations also take place for the hiring of bodyguards.

Bodyguards:
Hiring bodyguards is essential for Tingle's survival. Bodyguards can engage the enemy and take damage instead of you. They use the classic Zelda hearts for their life. I've yet to run a bodyguard to zero hearts, so I don't know exactly what happens although I'd wager it involves another negotiation to get them to return to service. Their hearts can be replenished with a potion formulated by you once you obtain the recipe. Of course, the items you need for the potion are the same ones received from the enemies.

Dungeons:
I've gone through two of the dungeons so far, both being very different in their playing style. The first dungeon has enemies, some easy puzzle solving, and the spider boss you can see in the video. The second dungeon had no enemies aside from the boss, which was a completely different play-mechanic from the first, and some very light puzzles. It was after the second dungeon that I began to question the overall difficulty for the game, but I think it may be too soon for me to come to a conclusion. I did die a few times from having too few rupees and accidentally entering a battle.

The Tower:
The end goal is to grow the tower to the height of Rupeeland so that you may move there. The Tower grows with the addition of Rupees to the lake at the top of it. You are often told via Pinkle (your assistant via computer screen) to feed the tower Rupees. At first I ignored her but soon learned why that was not a good idea as it set me back a bit, so pay attention and keep feeding the tower periodically.

Misc:
The difficulty has seemed to ramp up a bit following the second dungeon. There are many more opportunities to lose Rupees via negotiations at this point, and losing a big chunk can be a huge setback. The save system is a little cumbersome, but I understand 100% the point of it and think the developers made the correct decision. You can only save the game in Tingle's house. You can return home at almost any point via balloon, but returning to where you were can take some time. I can only assume the developers chose this save method to prevent players from saving a game, attempting a negotiation, failing, and then loading their saved game to try a different amount.

Overall:
Is the game worth the $50 import price? For some it will be yes, others no. I'm glad I made the choice to import it and have no regrets. I welcome unique experiences and this is certainly one of those. Again, shame on Nintendo of America for not releasing this game here.

I've played about an hour, and your impressions are spot on. I instantly thought of a classic point-and-click adventure game when I was playing it.

[quote name='Strell']I did that back before Tingle made it cool. When it was still underground.

I was the Lime Ladies Man. The Sauve Sage. The Malachite Magnum.

Then Tingle showed up and ruined everything for me. He kept calling himself the Aquamarine Asstronaut, and I think we all know why.

Not groovy.[/quote]i don't think i can sleep soundly EVER again :drool:

[quote name='Troz1820']
Negotiations:
All transactions and conversations involve negotiating a price, aside from a select few. This negotiation is generally one-way and can result in the loss of rupees. For example, in the beginning of the game you are charged with finding a fairy for the daughter a townsperson. You must give the mother Rupees to get any information. The more Rupees you give, the more information she will dispense. Later in the game you need to negotiate purchases. If you try an amount too little, your offer will be denied and the Rupees you offered will be taken as well, and they do not accumulate towards your purchase! Negotiations also take place for the hiring of bodyguards.[/QUOTE]
Is this as frustrating as it sounds? Because it sounds very.

Oh how i wish Nintendo would offer this online or at least at the Nintendo Store like they did with elektroplankton.

[quote name='maigoyume']i don't think i can sleep soundly EVER again :drool:[/QUOTE]

Then I'm here to make it even worse!

Tingle shows up one day at the club, right? Sporting some new green spandex with a lot of sequins arranged very suggestively. He has some shots of tequila and starts swaggering around screaming out I'M THE CHARTREUSE CABOOSE! ALL ABOARD THE TRAIN! WOO WOO!

A little while (and several drinks) later he topped this with the Peagreen Penis. This devolved into the Peacock Penis, the Peacock Pea Penis, the Pea Penis, the Peanis, and the Peacock.

I had to throw away so many green sets of clothing after that night, you wouldn't even believe it.

Nintendo had better not make another mascot that's going to fuck up my already limited color choices.

[quote name='pete5883']Is this as frustrating as it sounds? Because it sounds very.[/QUOTE]
Honestly it's not. The general price-range something should be in is not too difficult to guess, so it depends on how cheap you want to try to be. If you're too greedy you'll get burned, but it'll be your own fault.

I don't know, Troz. My first few hours into the game were pretty delightful, but I'm finding I'm frequently having to spend a while battle-grinding with my Bodyguard to get items. Then I head home, make recipes, and sell the concotions to the various buyers. It's a little boring when you've really finished everything you can do in an area.

At least I'm learning now which Bodyguards are useful and which suck. I'm all for the defensive Bodyguards; the aggressive ones suck to get battle combos, and the indifferent Bodyguards can go to hell (after they kindly pick a lock for me, that is).

For the current cost of importing and that lovely exchange rate, I really can't recommend this game to everyone. Maybe in a few months when the price is a little lower and you can maybe get a good deal on eBay, sure. But for $50-$60 dollars on the importing side, your feelings might get a little hurt.

Edit: Gah, just finished playing for a couple hours. I can't resist the game. Aside from the ocassionally frustrating money troubles, the game has so much style and charm and amusing situations and enemies and settings -- it's pretty damn swell.

I dunno. For folks who want to give the game a try, you could import it, then if you hate it, sell it on eBay for maybe only a few bucks lost. Worth a shot.

I've hit the grinding situations as well. I don't have enough money to feed the tower and can't seem to make it fast enough. What are your best techniques for getting the battle combos.
I'm not having much luck with the perfume to attract the monsters. I'm still on Lon Lon...

I haven't messed with the item you mentioned yet, and I'm on the first island of the second continent.

I tend to spend a lot of time with my Bodyguard before I move on to the next area. Having a Bodyguard which has the defensive trait is better than the others for getting combos. Mike (guy in the black suit) and the big guy with the wooden club are both defensive types. They won't attack enemies until you do. It allows you to steer towards other enemies to get great combos, as you have a little bit of a head start before the Bodyguard joins.

I usually go through a number of Tinglys as I battle-grind to get recipe items. I never let my Bodyguards fall anymore, as I'd rather make Tingly than pay to revive them. It can get boring, this search for recipe items, but the game always rewards your progress by opening up new story paths, areas, and so forth.

Are either of you two planning on selling it when you are done? And if so, can I buy it? :)

If not I think Imma import a copy.

[quote name='Strell']Are either of you two planning on selling it when you are done? And if so, can I buy it? :)

If not I think Imma import a copy.[/quote]
I can't sell my copy, as I wear an eye patch when I play.

NCSX is the only US retailer I've found stocking the game. I don't know how cost effective anyplace will be with the US Dollar going in the shitter, but the NCSX price isn't bad for a European import.

I'd be happy to add more to the first post if anyone knows of another site selling the game. I don't even see any current eBay auctions for it...

bread's done
Back