Freshly Picked ~ Tingle's Rupeeland $34.95 + $3.99 S/H

[quote name='Ed_']Everyone's favorite queer fairy stars in his own adventure that wasn't released stateside[/QUOTE]

Yeah, George Michael isn't a big draw in the US anymore.

Is this the only Tingle DS game released in Europe? I saw this as well but it's Japanese.

I'm a sucker for ALL things Zelda so I'm definitely interested. It's more than I normally pay for any DS game but I am aware imports cost more. Still kicking myself for not buying Virtual-On Force for 360 for $50 since it too appears to not be getting a release date in the states. Sigh..

The game is hard as fuck unless you have an English FAQ in front of you, and so far, there aren't any complete ones available. Essentially, you have to make some offers with your own batch of rupees, and if you don't at least offer the minimum amount, you STILL have to give the rupees to the seller.

Very niche gameplay. I did love the fact that they brought back the Subrosians, though.

[quote name='maddog66']I'm assuming this won't play on an U.S. Ds?[/QUOTE]

It should work since the DS is not region locked. Unless you have a DSi. In which case I can't say for sure. I know the DSi stuff is region locked because of blah blah who cares but non-DSi games are region-free.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']It should since the DS is not region locked. Unless you have a DSi. In which case I can't say for sure. I know the DSi stuff is region locked because of blah blah who cares but non-DSi games are region-free.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm. I have a dsi so i don"t know if I should bite. I've wanted this game for years, but i'm not gonna drop the dough if it won't work on my system...

Considering Last Window (Also a Euro release) plays fine on my DSi, I would guess this would play fine.

I was just thinking the other day that I wished I had got this while it was still easily available...and here it is! In for one. Thanks, OP!

[quote name='bookwo3107']This is the European version so it would have English available...[/QUOTE]

Do you bother to read? I said there aren't any English FAQs, which means anyone who goes into this game without one is going to have a rude awakening. The gameplay is unforgiving and slow... overall, the game is downright unplayable.

I'm stuck at a part where I have to have a bridge made by an effeminate YMCA-looking dude, and no matter what my offer is, it ends up being wrong, so ALL of my rupees have to be given to him. That's what I call an effed-up gameplay mechanic, and is archaically akin to a poorly-developed NES-generation title (which were rampant). If you make an offer and it ends up being wrong, you shouldn't have to give all of your money to the NPC.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']Is this the only Tingle DS game released in Europe? I saw this as well but it's Japanese.

I'm a sucker for ALL things Zelda so I'm definitely interested. It's more than I normally pay for any DS game but I am aware imports cost more. Still kicking myself for not buying Virtual-On Force for 360 for $50 since it too appears to not be getting a release date in the states. Sigh..[/QUOTE]

It is the only EU version, there was another one that was released in JP.

Everyone on this site should feel right at home with this game. Of course, I'm referring to the gambling aspect of trying to figure out just how much you need to spend without spending too much. Personally, I found it really fun and addictive.

[quote name='sayu']Everyone on this site should feel right at home with this game. Of course, I'm referring to the gambling aspect of trying to figure out just how much you need to spend without spending too much. Personally, I found it really fun and addictive.[/QUOTE]

Ooo, a sly dig a CAGgers, huh?

[quote name='Nintendonly']Ooo, a sly dig a CAGgers, huh?[/QUOTE]

Hey, I'm one of them. If I wasn't, I wouldn't have been able to make the comparison. No disrespect meant.

[quote name='Nintendonly']
I'm stuck at a part where I have to have a bridge made by an effeminate YMCA-looking dude, and no matter what my offer is, it ends up being wrong, so ALL of my rupees have to be given to him.
[/QUOTE]

If I recall correctly, making low offers to the bridge guy is cumulative: He keeps what you offer, but adds it toward the hidden total amount at which he'll start working. It's the same when you have to pay to get into a dungeon. Some of the NPCs work this way, others simply take your lowball amount and it is lost. The worst is if you get a monster chest in a dungeon, and you don't have enough rupees to pay it - you're pretty much F'd.

[quote name='Nintendonly']
That's what I call an effed-up gameplay mechanic, and is archaically akin to a poorly-developed NES-generation title (which were rampant). If you make an offer and it ends up being wrong, you shouldn't have to give all of your money to the NPC.[/QUOTE]

I think the point of this was to show how much of a loser Tingle is. Anyone, even a child, can take his money and there's nothing he can do. (The guy can barely fight, and needs to hire bodyguards for 99% of the enemies in the game.) But yeah, it definitely doesn't make for fun gameplay. Just go back home and save before you make any offers... assuming you can; sometimes you can't. Or just use a walkthrough for those parts.

I finished the game, enjoyed the exploration parts of it, but not the trial-and-error guessing games. Didn't bother finding all the hidden Rupee Goods. Can definitely see why Nintendo didn't release it here (as opposed to, say, Xenoblade). Worth playing if you have a little patience and/or a willingness to look things up online to make the annoying parts easier.

Got my copy today. I haven't seen this style of DS case before (super-fat and transparent). Is this normal for European releases?

[quote name='highwaypatrolman']Got my copy today. I haven't seen this style of DS case before (super-fat and transparent). Is this normal for European releases?[/QUOTE]

This is normal

If you want this I'd jump on it. I just placed my order and it said they only have 2 copies left. Afterwards I put it in my cart again and it said the same thing, so hopefully I'll actually get a copy.

[quote name='dstan']I haven't seen it for that price for awhile, how did you order it? The cheapest I see it is 45 bucks...[/QUOTE]

He probably got one of the last couple the next lowest seller had. It was $35 shipped when I bit. Box is bizarre but whatever the game is quirky and the best games are.

Hate to be the bringer of bad news, but:

http://www.dvd.co.uk/buy/catni65339/freshly-picked-tingles-rosy-rupeeland-nintendo-ds.htm

You can order it there and international shipping is only 1.29 pounds. It's about $25 shipped to the US.

Always make sure you check the actual European stores before importing D: Sometimes international shipping is cheaper than the import premium that domestic sellers charge.

That site in particular is pretty good. Check around for other import favorites like Last Window and Another Code: R.

[quote name='Mit']Hate to be the bringer of bad news, but:

http://www.dvd.co.uk/buy/catni65339/freshly-picked-tingles-rosy-rupeeland-nintendo-ds.htm

You can order it there and international shipping is only 1.29 pounds. It's about $25 shipped to the US.

Always make sure you check the actual European stores before importing D: Sometimes international shipping is cheaper than the import premium that domestic sellers charge.

That site in particular is pretty good. Check around for other import favorites like Last Window and Another Code: R.[/QUOTE]Well that's depressing. Too late to cancel my order, I guess it's good news for those who missed out on the other one.

bread's done
Back