Friend has a vinatge diamond ring to sell..

donut

CAGiversary!
Feedback
111 (100%)
Anyone have any ideas the Best place to try and sell it?

1940's ladies appraised at $1600 (documented) in 2006.
craigslist seems flooded..ebay or ?

Thanks in advance, she asked me but I have no expertise on reselling jewelry...

Wal-Mart parking lot?

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081121/A_NEWS02/81120021

STOCKTON - A 30-year-old Stockton woman bought what she thought was a diamond from a woman in a parking lot and was later shocked to learn it was fake.

The Stockton Police Department reported the woman encountered two people about 10:30 a.m. Thursday in the parking lot of the Wal-Mart Supercenter at 3223 E. Hammer Lane.

One, a woman, was offering to sell what she said was a diamond to the other, a man, who took the diamond and returned with what appeared to be $20,000 cash. The parking lot diamond vendor then asked the victim how much she could offer for another diamond. The victim offered $1,900, retrieved the money and received her jewel, according to the Police Department.

She later took the gem to a pawnshop, where she was told it was a fake.

The woman selling fake diamonds was described as a 45-year-old Latina, 5 feet 1 to 5 feet 3 inches tall and about 165 pounds, with brown hair and brown eyes.

Police said the man is a likely accomplice and described him as 45 years old, Latino, 5 feet 9 inches tall and about 165 pounds, with short brown hair and brown eyes. He wore a black baseball cap, a maroon shirt and blue jeans.

What the hell is up with people selling shit in Walmart parking lots ... I swear ... "Tamale .... Tamale??" or "Perfume ... perfume" ... I'm waiting for someone to pull up with a van full of people and start selling them too ....

[quote name='etcrane']What the hell is up with people selling shit in Walmart parking lots ... I swear ... "Tamale .... Tamale??" or "Perfume ... perfume" ... I'm waiting for someone to pull up with a van full of people and start selling them too ....[/quote]

There's a difference b/w selling tamales and selling fake diamonds (unless the tamales were fake too, in which case I withdraw my comment).

[quote name='pacifickarma']The woman selling fake diamonds was described as a 45-year-old Latina, 5 feet 1 to 5 feet 3 inches tall and about 165 pounds, with brown hair and brown eyes.[/quote]

Wow, that really narrows it down.

Regardless of what's being sold, Walmart is consistently the only place I know of where people tend to sell things in parking lots ...

[quote name='donut']Anyone have any ideas the Best place to try and sell it?

1940's ladies appraised at $1600 (documented) in 2006.
craigslist seems flooded..ebay or ?

Thanks in advance, she asked me but I have no expertise on reselling jewelry...[/quote]

Pawn shop?

I would try local pawnshops and there are usually ads in the classfieds for people that buy gold. I hear ads for the company Cash4Gold and maybe have your friend enquire with them and they might be able to tell him a ballpark figure of what they'd give for the ring.

Don't listen to the CAG above me! Cash4Gold is a clear scam the name practically says it. Do a quick google search "cash4gold scam" to find-out more.

Go to a jewelry store and get it appraised.
Ebay and Craigslist is sketch, but it will probably yield the most return.
Watch out for gankers.

Don't use cash4gold for starters.

I would take to a couple of different pawn shops and see what they offer you. If you have a big city nearby, try there as well. In other words, drive around. See who offers you the most. Try at least 4 stores and sell to one who offers the most.

Craigslist and ebay won't help much because it's a big ticket item. Too many scammers. Everybody will think YOU are the scammer.

Sorry, didn't know cash4gold was such a scam. Heard the advertisements quite a bit on the Stern Show and on TV and was just throwing it out there.

[quote name='Musichead13']Sorry, didn't know cash4gold was such a scam. Heard the advertisements quite a bit on the Stern Show and on TV and was just throwing it out there.[/quote]

No worries, but if you couldn't tell Howard cares most about $$$ everything else, the show included is secondary.

eBay, with insurance, and look into options eBay has for security and controlling who bids - b/c it's a high ticket item, you may be able to restrict it to bidders of only a certain feedback or higher,or something like that.

Don't waste your time on Craigslist - not to pick on people, but more people are on Craigslist trying to sell to pay their bills, not buy high-ticket items.

Not a good time for this, honestly.

Oh - and Cash4Gold IS a scam.

Is it a solitaire? If you live near a 'big-city' you should be able to find a gem-broker who might buy it. Expect an offer of about half of your appraised value- as appraised values are primarily insurance "replacement" values. Most buyers are going to offer you wholesale value or slightly less.

[quote name='seen']Don't listen to the CAG above me! Cash4Gold is a clear scam the name practically says it. Do a quick google search "cash4gold scam" to find-out more.[/quote]

Most of these places aren't actually a scam (I don't know much about Cash 4 Gold). People just need to realize what they are getting into when dealing with these places. My brother in law operates a Cash for Gold type outfit.

They buy gold from individuals, typically offering 1/2 of it's fair market value. With gold at $900ish per ounce this is around $450 per ounce. They then combine all of this gold and send it to a smelter who melts down the gold and then sends a check for the full market value of the gold, less their processing fees.

These Cash4Gold places aren't interested in the artistic value of the gold, or any of the gemstones, they just want the material. To them gold is simply a raw material that will be melted, regardless of what shape it is currently in.

Gold also comes in varying qualities. 14k gold is worth far less (and is far less pure) than 24k gold.

Now you may ask why one would sell their gold for 1/2 the fair market value. The answer is that no one will pay you anywhere close to the full market value unless you can deal with them in bulk. We're talking 5-10 pounds of gold before you see anywhere near $900 / ounce.

Rings are very light, and not worth much at all. I would not recommend selling it this way. Your best bet is to find a local jewelry store that offers consignment. They will take a % of the sale, but it saves you the trouble.

[quote name='daminion']Most of these places aren't actually a scam (I don't know much about Cash 4 Gold). People just need to realize what they are getting into when dealing with these places. My brother in law operates a Cash for Gold type outfit.

They buy gold from individuals, typically offering 1/2 of it's fair market value. With gold at $900ish per ounce this is around $450 per ounce. They then combine all of this gold and send it to a smelter who melts down the gold and then sends a check for the full market value of the gold, less their processing fees.

These Cash4Gold places aren't interested in the artistic value of the gold, or any of the gemstones, they just want the material. To them gold is simply a raw material that will be melted, regardless of what shape it is currently in.

Gold also comes in varying qualities. 14k gold is worth far less (and is far less pure) than 24k gold.

Now you may ask why one would sell their gold for 1/2 the fair market value. The answer is that no one will pay you anywhere close to the full market value unless you can deal with them in bulk. We're talking 5-10 pounds of gold before you see anywhere near $900 / ounce.

Rings are very light, and not worth much at all. I would not recommend selling it this way. Your best bet is to find a local jewelry store that offers consignment. They will take a % of the sale, but it saves you the trouble.[/quote]

If it's in mini ingots, bars or coinage then you can get very near the full price. Your right about jewelry- Which has to be melted using labor and tons of energy, getting it to a marketable commodity costs them.

have been in the market for an engagement ring lately and shopped around, dropped 15k for a diamond :(.. but your best bet based on the quality of what you have, since being appraised at $1600 will be craigslist, ebay, local pawnshop, I wouldn't expect a return of more than 700

[quote name='daminion']Most of these places aren't actually a scam (I don't know much about Cash 4 Gold). People just need to realize what they are getting into when dealing with these places. My brother in law operates a Cash for Gold type outfit.[/QUOTE]

Cash4Gold specifically IS a scam and pays less than pawnbrokers. By the time you want to turn down what they've offered you, they have your shit, you have a check, and the process to get it swapped back is a pain in the ass.

My mom used cash for gold. Biggest scam ever. She sent in some bracelets and a couple rings (not super expensive rings but I'm talking around 60-80 each) and do you know what she got in return after about a slow ass service of a month and a half? $45. I heard this and called them wondering why it was so low. After arguing with them for about half an hour they finally said they would send my mom a $100 check. Shows those jackasses

bread's done
Back