Fritz Lang's Metropolis BluRay 14.72 + $2.98 ship + Tax @ Borders.com

battra92

CAGiversary!
The film is listing at $21.97 on Borders
https://www.borders.com/online/store/TitleDetail?sku=738329071325

Lo and behold promo code BNX5246L took 33% off ($7.25) off making it $14.72.

Borders has free shipping on orders $25 or more but there wasn't anything else I wanted at this time (plus I didn't want to risk the 33% going to a smaller, cheaper item) so I paid the $2.98 shipping and the $0.92 to Deval Patrick. $18.62 for a KINO is a great price (53.4% off!) Amazon Warehouse is selling damaged copies for $18.99 ATM ...

[quote name='ssjmichael']Great price[/QUOTE]

Indeed, I think 50% off was the best I've ever seen a KINO get discounted at.

Another thing to note -- if you have a Borders store nearby, you can get free shipping by selecting "ship to store" during checkout.

Yet another nonsensical move by Borders -- they use the exact same shipping method to ship a product to the store that they would to ship it to your house. Items shipped to store are shipped in a single parcel via UPS or USPS. It costs them no less to ship it to the store than it would to ship it to your home, yet shipping anything (no minimum) to the store is free. The only way that I've ever been able to even vaguely make sense of this policy is that maybe they think it will get you to buy more stuff when you're in the store.

Anyway, regardless, thanks OP. After tax and with the free shipping, came out to $15.46 total for me.

[quote name='battra92']Indeed, I think 50% off was the best I've ever seen a KINO get discounted at.[/QUOTE]

There were the $9.99 Kino titles at Best Buy last year. Haven't seen anything even close to that since, though -- in fact, I think this is about the closest I've seen.

Actually, the reason I believe Borders does that free shipping to store, is to hopefully get more money out of you. Once you come into the store, they want you to see something else you like, and buy that along with what you're picking up. So it does make sense from a business point of you.

[quote name='gojiboy']Actually, the reason I believe Borders does that free shipping to store, is to hopefully get more money out of you. Once you come into the store, they want you to see something else you like, and buy that along with what you're picking up. So it does make sense from a business point of you.[/QUOTE]

Erm . . . Didn't I pretty much say exactly that?

If there's a decent coupon available when I go to pick it up, I may grab something else, but otherwise, they're out of luck. :lol:

Anyway, "Backorder-Usually ships within 2 weeks." -- I just hope that Borders manages to stay in business long enough to get it to me!

[quote name='arcane93']Anyway, "Backorder-Usually ships within 2 weeks." -- I just hope that Borders manages to stay in business long enough to get it to me![/QUOTE]

Here's hoping that they can turn themselves around. I know there is talk of a merger with B&N and perhaps they might end up like Sears and Kmart where they appear to be holding on.

I miss the Borders of 2001/2 when my older brother and I would get our grandmother to drive us to the one in Albany (now closed) or the one in Saratoga Springs, NY and we'd spend hours looking at DVDs and books and usually walk away with a stack while Borders would keep all the money we had made that week.

[quote name='chuckywang']Does this version of Metropolis contain the 2008 discovery of almost all the missing scenes?[/QUOTE]

This is the "Complete" Metropolis. It is the newest cut that was shown in Berlin.

Only a few scenes - about eight minutes overall - were not included in the new cut because they were too badly damaged to repair or still missing; this gives the film a running time of 145 minutes. The film goes black for the original duration of the missing footage; in case of important scenes, an intertitle with a different typeface explains the content of the missing footage.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Damn, no Borders has this in stock except for one reaaal far away.[/QUOTE]

This price is online only -- if you did find it in stock in a Borders store, it would be $39.99 (i.e., MSRP). It's really no wonder that Borders is struggling financially, but I digress. If you want to get it for this price, order it from the website, and if you want to pick it up in the store (and not pay shipping), select the ship-to-store option.

[quote name='Sporadic']This is the "Complete" Metropolis. It is the newest cut that was shown in Berlin.[/QUOTE]

I saw the film with a live organ score late last year and it was amazing! I went back to the Kino DVD and there's a lot more content in this one and even though that disclaimer comes up, there's only a couple of those black title messages.

There's always a free shipping code to ship to your home with no minimum, too, but I don't have it right in front of me. Borders has an in-store "in stock guarantee" where they'll ship anything to your home for free that they don't have in the store. If you're in a Borders, go to a borders.com computer and click "in stock guarantee" toward the top of the screen to get the code; it changes about once a week. If you call a Borders and ask for that code they should give it to you, too.

That said, I don't recommend ordering things on backorder from Borders. I like Borders way more than most people on this board (their coupons are basically unmatched if you're after obscure DVDs; they only suck if you want, you know, The Blind Side or whatever), but that said, I've had some nightmare experiences with things they claim to be on backorder. They won't come for months and you won't hear from them, they cancel without notice, it's a pain if you decide to cancel it yourself, etc. Once after several months of waiting they sent me the wrong item (not even close--it was a totally different thing altogether) and it was a big hassle to get that fixed, etc. Honestly, I stay away from borders.com altogether if I can help it; I like the stores much better when that's an option.

Question, Borders has some OK prices on Criterion Blu-Rays but some have BR listed as the format while some have BR in the title, but the format is still DVD. For instance,
Seven Samurai 3-Disks - Format - DVD - $47
Seven Samurai 2-Disks [Blu-Ray] - Format - DVD $30
is this an error? I'll probably pick up Last Year at Marienbad since it's only $24.

Edit: a word about Bookstores and in store pick up.
From Borders, I had them hold a cook book for me. It was $50 online but when you select to pick it up in store, the price changed to $75. I had a 40% off coupon so I wasn't too mad.
From B&N, a book online was $15 and when I got to the store it was cover price, $24.
I realize that retail stores have operating costs that prevent them from offering as good of a discount in store as they can online but make sure you pay online and aren't just picking it up as the price may be higher.

[quote name='arcane93']This price is online only -- if you did find it in stock in a Borders store, it would be $39.99 (i.e., MSRP). It's really no wonder that Borders is struggling financially, but I digress. If you want to get it for this price, order it from the website, and if you want to pick it up in the store (and not pay shipping), select the ship-to-store option.[/QUOTE]
Ship to store option-- DUHHH. Thanks Arcane. I was able to pull the trigger for just a hair under 16.00. Can't wait to rewatch this.

[quote name='vodkablast']Edit: a word about Bookstores and in store pick up.
From Borders, I had them hold a cook book for me. It was $50 online but when you select to pick it up in store, the price changed to $75. I had a 40% off coupon so I wasn't too mad.
From B&N, a book online was $15 and when I got to the store it was cover price, $24.
I realize that retail stores have operating costs that prevent them from offering as good of a discount in store as they can online but make sure you pay online and aren't just picking it up as the price may be higher.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's important to note that "Ship To Store" and "Reserve In Store" are two entirely different options. When you use "Ship To Store", which is a shipping option during the check-out process, you're actually ordering it from the website (at the website price), and they're just shipping it to the store instead of shipping it directly to you. You have to wait for the item to be shipped and to arrive just like you would if you were having it sent you your home. When you use "Reserve In Store", you're actually having them hold a copy that they already have at the store for you; you can get the item right away, but you're paying the in-store price for it.

On another note, in my experience, the Borders "Reserve In Store" option is nearly useless, because the stores are too lazy/incompetent to implement it properly. The past three times that I've tried to use it, I haven't actually been able to get the item that I requested. Two of those times, I know for certain that it was because the lazy store employees never actually bothered to even look for the item until I contacted them about it because I hadn't heard anything. The first time, when I went into the store seven hours after placing the request, they "hadn't gotten around to it" yet (the store wasn't busy, so I have no idea what the excuse was for that). Of course, the item that I wanted had been sold out in the meantime. The second time, I called them when I hadn't heard anything from them after three hours (the confirmation email they send says that you'll hear back from them "within two hours"), and again, the item was gone by that point. I don't think I'm going to bother to use that service again, because it's worthless if the stores can't even be bothered to follow up on it in a timely manner.

And yeah, I don't really buy the argument about the operating costs. Ok, maybe they can't sell things quite as cheaply as Amazon or their own websites, but at the same time . . . charging MSRP for nearly everything is just ridiculous. Best Buy, Target, Wal-Mart, etc. don't charge MSRP for most of their DVDs, blu-rays, CDs, or even books, and somehow they're able to make it and even thrive in those departments. The simple fact of the matter is that while I'd honestly rather shop in Borders and/or Barnes and Noble than any of those other stores, I'm not going to do so when it's going to cost me so much more, and so they lose a huge amount of my business that they'd likely have otherwise. I'm pretty sure that I'm nowhere near the only person who feels this way either. When I hear that they're struggling to survive, I can only shake my head and sigh. While I'll hate to see them go, I'm honestly amazed that they've been able to survive as long as they have with business practices like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good points. I also like B&N and Boarders as stores but find it ridiculous that they still charge MSRP on media. That approach obviously didn't work with different Trans World Entertainment stores (FYE, Sam Goody, Suncoast, Saturday Matinee) and other "mall stores" like The Wall, and look where those stores are now. When music piracy really started to pose a threat to physical media, I would look to those stores and say "why the fuck are you still doing this? Why do you think it's still a good idea to sell a CD for $18?" This is why wholesale exists, so you can add a few bucks for profit and for operating costs to items. Everyone knows DVDs and CDs cost a fraction of MSRP to get wholesale and yet stores still want to get full price.

[quote name='sirhansirhan']That said, I don't recommend ordering things on backorder from Borders. I like Borders way more than most people on this board (their coupons are basically unmatched if you're after obscure DVDs; they only suck if you want, you know, The Blind Side or whatever), but that said, I've had some nightmare experiences with things they claim to be on backorder. They won't come for months and you won't hear from them, they cancel without notice, it's a pain if you decide to cancel it yourself, etc. Once after several months of waiting they sent me the wrong item (not even close--it was a totally different thing altogether) and it was a big hassle to get that fixed, etc. Honestly, I stay away from borders.com altogether if I can help it; I like the stores much better when that's an option.[/QUOTE]

I wish I read this before I ordered, haha. Oh well, I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best. Got it for $15.60; thanks OP

In store pick up Only! Pre-ordered Soul Eater Part 1 & 2 Box Set (Bluray) under $25 after taxes and Samurai Champloo Box Set (Bluray) Under $20 after taxes ;)

Hate to revive a dead thread but has it shipped for anyone yet? Mine says expected ship dayte Jan 20-24 so if it doesn't ship today I'll be a bit peeved.

Mine hasn't. It has the same shipping estimate as yours. Curiously, the Border's store I requested my copy shipped to received 2 for the in-store stock (after being OOS for several weeks) late last week.

Well the lady from Borders Customer service told me in very broken English to just wait 2-4 more weeks.

Great customer service there, Borders.

[quote name='battra92']Hate to revive a dead thread but has it shipped for anyone yet? Mine says expected ship dayte Jan 20-24 so if it doesn't ship today I'll be a bit peeved.[/QUOTE]

Ditto.

M

Same here -- "expected" shipping date of Jan. 20th to 24th, but nothing has shipped. When I placed the order, it said "Backorder-Usually ships within 2 weeks", so I'm willing to give them two weeks. If it's more than that, I'll probably just call them and cancel, and consider it the final nail in the coffin of my dealings with Borders.

Has anyone else had this shipped yet? It's at two weeks now and still nothing. Given that it's not really a hard item to get, I don't see what the holdup could be.

(I'm also a little peeved that Mikerocosms got his shipping confirmation nearly a week ago, when based on the ordering of posts in this thread, anyway, I'm pretty sure that I placed my order a couple of hours before he placed his. No offense, Mikerocosms. ;))

[quote name='arcane93']Has anyone else had this shipped yet? It's at two weeks now and still nothing. Given that it's not really a hard item to get, I don't see what the holdup could be.

(I'm also a little peeved that Mikerocosms got his shipping confirmation nearly a week ago, when based on the ordering of posts in this thread, anyway, I'm pretty sure that I placed my order a couple of hours before he placed his. No offense, Mikerocosms. ;))[/QUOTE]

LOL, I don't hardly even remember when I ordered mine. They sent it via Fed Ex Smartpost which is by far the worst way to send anything. I'm due to receive it tomorrow. I'll post an update when/if I get it.

M

[quote name='Mikerocosms']They sent it via Fed Ex Smartpost which is by far the worst way to send anything.[/QUOTE]

Haha, no, I'm pretty sure that DHL Global Mail is by far the worst way to send anything. Barnes and Noble sent me a recent order using them, and it sat in one DHL facility (on weekdays, no less) for three days before it actually moved.

I'll post an image of their stupidity. I live closer to L.A. than Dallas. Not to mention why didn't they just drop it off at USPS in the first place.

1539z60.png

M

I gave up and canceled my order after doing better at B&N with the Buy 2 Get 1 free sale and a 50% off "surprise" coupon. I ended up getting Metropolis and two other discs for under $12 each.

I picked up mine up on Sunday. They got it on Saturday around noon, then called me around closing the same day. I'm happy, a much better experience than what I was anticipating given many of the comments in this thread. Granted, I probably won't go out of my way to order from them unless the deal outweighs the grief.

[quote name='battra92']Why oh why could Borders be in trouble?[/QUOTE]

Heh, indeed. Borders is so fucking worthless. I just tried to call them, and the woman that I got couldn't tell me a thing other than that it was "on backorder" and couldn't explain why the site still says that it ships within 24 hours. I asked how other people who had ordered after I did are receiving their orders already while mine is still on backorder, and of course she had no answer. She said that she had no information on when it will be available, but that backorders usually take two to four weeks, so I told her that they've used two already, and if I don't have it in two more weeks I'm canceling.

I seriously think I'm just done with Borders entirely. Between incidents like this, the problems with the "reserve in store" option that I mentioned earlier, and other issues that I've encountered with them, they just make it far too difficult for me to give them my money. Clearly other retailers want it more.

Not to rub salt in the wound arcane93, but I just got mine today. I sincerely hope you get yours shipped soon.

M

Well, at least they haven't charged my credit card yet. I checked my account half expecting they would have, at which point I would have really been raising hell.

It's not like it really matters that much, I'm not in that great a hurry to get it (I wouldn't have even ordered it for now without this deal), but . . . it's the principle of the thing. I've been a loyal Borders customer for years, but lately they just keep screwing up majorly every time I try to deal with them. I hate to see them go so far downhill, but at this point it's looking like a lost cause.

Huh. Just checked the email account that my Borders mail is directed to, and I got a shipping notice a few hours after I called them. I wonder if that was just coincidence or whether calling them brought the order to their attention.

Oh well, either way, on its way finally. Fed Ex Smartpost, though. :whistle2:|

Edit: Holy shit, you weren't kidding about Fed Ex Smartpost. The parcel shipped on Tuesday evening from Allentown, PA, which is less than a four hour drive away, and their estimated delivery date is next Tuesday. An item shipped from there via regular USPS would have easily been here tomorrow or Friday at the worst. What is this, shipped from Allentown via Chicago?

Finally got mine yesterday. I thought that the Metropolis blu-ray had a lenticular image on the front of the slipcase, though? Mine's just a regular cardboard case with the cover image printed on it (a new/later printing, I guess?) I'm vaguely debating finding another Borders that has it in stock and seeing if they have the lenticular case, and exchanging it if they do. Not sure whether it's really worth the effort, though.

Also, in the "how incompetent can Borders get?" department -- According to my tracking info, the parcel was delivered in Friday's mail. I didn't get a call from them on Friday, and I was too busy to get there that day anyway, so I let it go. Over the weekend, when I still hadn't gotten a call from them, I called them. I was told that the mail "gets delivered to a different building" which they "can't get into on the weekend", and that I'd have to call again on Monday. What? So Monday, when I hadn't heard from them by 2pm, I called them again. They still hadn't checked their mail (from Friday or the entire weekend, even), so the guy that I talked to had to run over and do it, and then called me back to let me know that they had it. Then, 20 minutes after that, someone else called me (again) to inform me that it was there. Unbelievable. :roll:

bread's done
Back