Front Mission 3 or 4 -- which to get?

boyward

CAGiversary!
Feedback
75 (100%)
From the reviews I've read of both games, Front Mission 3 was great for its time, and then Front Mission 4 didn't really improve on that game, so it was a disappointment. Folks were expecting a dramatic change since 4 was coming out on the flashy new PS2 hardware, and this game did not deliver. But from what I understand, it's a disappointment only because in the jump to the PS2 it didn't really improve any.

Side by side, regardless of the time or platform on which they were released, they seem to be the same basic game, at least from the reviews I've read.

I'm interested in getting either 3 or 4, so my question is: is there a good reason to get the more expensive 3 (upwards of $18), or will be I just as well off getting a cheap copy of 4 for $5-9?

if your just looking to play the game, I'd go with 4. It's easy to find and cheap. If you like it, then track down part 3, which is much harder to find.

Get both. FM3 is easily one of my favorite ps1 games, and the first game that genuinely needs 100 plus hours put into it. Great story, and its awesome playing through the second storyline when all your enemies are now your teammates and vice-versa.

I bought FM4 for $50 at launch, and really didnt regret it. The major flaw in the game is the storyline - it tried the dual storyline again, and instead of choosing one you play both at the same time. THe problem is that the really have nothing to do with each other at all, so its disjointing switching back and forth when theres no cohesion to both. You'll likely figure out which is your favorite quickly, then get irritated when you have to jump back to the other story.

The other gripe is that the game is too hard at the beginning, but I think its a positive - its one of the rare games that rewards you for sticking with it and playing smart. Its frustrating at the beginning with few AP and links, but at the end when you are stomping the shit out of people with 4 person attacks, its really really fun. Game has some damn good music too.

Front Mission 3 is probably the better game, but theres really no reason not to own 4 since its so damn cheap

Dave

How hard is it to find 3? I loved 4 and am cursing Squeenix for not releasing 5 in English (yet?), so I'd like to get 3 sometime (especially since I have a new slimline PS2 which hasn't been giving me any problems with PS1 games thus far).

Both are excellent strategy RPG's and well worth getting if you're into that sort of thing.

I think FM4 is very much underrated. It takes more effort because of the customization of the wanzers and your pilots but I liked that aspect of it. The graphics don't impress but that's not really important for a strategy RPG (and not to say they aren't bad, I though it was fine).

How hard is it to find 3? I loved 4 and am cursing Squeenix for not releasing 5 in English (yet?), so I'd like to get 3 sometime (especially since I have a new slimline PS2 which hasn't been giving me any problems with PS1 games thus far).

Don't forget about not releasing Front Mission Online. =(

[quote name='blueshinra']How hard is it to find 3? I loved 4 and am cursing Squeenix for not releasing 5 in English (yet?), so I'd like to get 3 sometime (especially since I have a new slimline PS2 which hasn't been giving me any problems with PS1 games thus far).[/quote]

You can get 3 on ebay for $20-25 shipped.

Front Mission 3 is a better game. FM4 is very easy compared to FM3, also I find the story to be lacking. I would get FM4 first because if you played FM3 first, FM4 would feel like a disappointment. You should get both since FM4 only cost like $10.

Also if you haven't played Final Fantasy Tactics, get that too. DO NOT buy the FF Tactics advance for GBA its garbage.

Front Mission 3 is a better game. FM4 is very easy compared to FM3, also I find the story to be lacking. I would get FM4 first because if you played FM3 first, FM4 would feel like a disappointment. You should get both since FM4 only cost like $10.

New for $10?

Also if you haven't played Final Fantasy Tactics, get that too. DO NOT buy the FF Tactics advance for GBA its garbage.

I agree, I hated FFTA. I also recommend Vandal Hearts 1.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I bought Front Mission 3 (complete) for $13 shipped, and I figure since 4 is so readily available I can hold off on purchasing that until a later date.

[quote name='Slayzz']I would get FM4 first because if you played FM3 first, FM4 would feel like a disappointment.[/quote]

Hmm, I read your advice after I already made my decision. I'm really looking to play only the best games out there since I already have a backlog of probably 50 games. No need to add to it unnecessarily. :)

Please keep discussing this series. I find it all very interesting.

[quote name='Noodle Pirate']Front mission is the best series Square ever made! Get both![/quote]

Wow, that's quite a claim considering their stable of excellent games. :)

[quote name='Slayzz']Also if you haven't played Final Fantasy Tactics, get that too. DO NOT buy the FF Tactics advance for GBA its garbage.[/quote]

Agreed on the FFTA comment.

[quote name='espy605']I also recommend Vandal Hearts 1.[/quote]

I never even researched that one. What's it similar to?

[quote name='Roufuss']Front Mission 3 has the worst voice acting and the most annoying characters of any game I've ever played.[/quote]

Well, that's unfortunate. Does anyone else feel that way or is Roufuss in the minority?

[quote name='boyward']Well, that's unfortunate. Does anyone else feel that way or is Roufuss in the minority?[/QUOTE]That is unfortunate. If it matters, FM4 has some of the best voice acting I've ever heard in a game.

Managed to pick up FM3 myself, by the way-- used but complete, $11.00 shipped.

I never even researched that one. What's it similar to?

It's a Tactics style game, so it's similar to all these. It's a little easier than some SRPGs, but it has great art, story and music. I would probably say it's my favorite SRPG of all time. Medieval-type setting and when players "grow up" they can pick between one of two job classes.

Suikoden Tactics is also worth a play and can be found new for $10-$15 at many places. Decent story, standard gameplay, good art.

I enjoyed FM3 a lot more, beat it about 3 or 4 times. FM4 I didn't make it past the first 5 hours before losing interest.

[quote name='espy605']It's a Tactics style game, so it's similar to all these. It's a little easier than some SRPGs, but it has great art, story and music. I would probably say it's my favorite SRPG of all time. Medieval-type setting and when players "grow up" they can pick between one of two job classes.[/quote]

I'm very interested. How good, in your opinion, is Vandal Hearts II compared to the first?

Suikoden Tactics is also worth a play and can be found new for $10-$15 at many places. Decent story, standard gameplay, good art.

Thanks, I just made a trade for Suik Tactics. :bouncy:

I'm very interested. How good, in your opinion, is Vandal Hearts II compared to the first?

I bought it expecting more of the first, but the change in art style was too much for me. I didn't play more than an hour. I still have the game though so maybe one day I'll go back and play it.

VH1 had anime-style drawings, VH2 for some reason, looked like the art-style of those creepy Lord of the Rings cartoons from decades ago.

[quote name='Roufuss']Front Mission 3 has the worst voice acting and the most annoying characters of any game I've ever played.[/QUOTE]

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Front Misson 3 has any voice acting; it was all written dialogue. If you meant Front Mission 4, I actually liked the voice acting especially with all the different European accents. There are definitely games with worse voice acting, that's for sure.

Front Mission 1 and 2 are Japanese-language only, correct?

[quote name='MightySlacker']FM3 is easily one of my favorite ps1 games, and the first game that genuinely needs 100 plus hours put into it.[/quote]

Is Front Mission 3 really 100 hours long?

[quote name='boyward']Front Mission 1 and 2 are Japanese-language only, correct?[/quote]

front mission 2 is a platformer. not worth your time unless you like old platformers.

[quote name='stainremover']front mission 2 is a platformer. not worth your time unless you like old platformers.[/QUOTE]

I had no idea. Thanks for the info. :)

3 by far. I gladly spent 50+ hours on fm3, and enjoyed the storyline and mech customization. fm4 on the ps2 just didnt hold my interest for some reason. i never bothered to finish it, could be because it just seemed like mots.

[quote name='dopa345']Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Front Misson 3 has any voice acting; it was all written dialogue. If you meant Front Mission 4, I actually liked the voice acting especially with all the different European accents. There are definitely games with worse voice acting, that's for sure.[/QUOTE]

I could have sworn it had voice acting... maybe it's just the fact that it was translated like shit and the characters are EXTREMELY annoying. You've got this protagonist who gets angry at the stupidest shit, some asshole surfer guy... I started skipping over the story just to get to the missions (which were cool). Eventually my hatred of the story and characters just made me stop playing.

I definitely enjoyed the 11 or 12 missions I played of FM 4, no complaints there.

bread's done
Back