Fry's: BioShock 2 Special Editions $59.99 (updated 03/26)

and another thing to send me over the boiling point as to why I paid $100 release day, to not open, but to collect, and there are probably more copies of this than any other CE ever. piles of them! I can see this getting as low as $30 clearanced..

[quote name='SuperJedi']Lesson Learned HARD... STOP buying games at FULL price ever again!!![/QUOTE]

Welcome to CheapAssGamer.com.

[quote name='token2k6']and another thing to send me over the boiling point as to why I paid $100 release day, to not open, but to collect, and there are probably more copies of this than any other CE ever. piles of them! I can see this getting as low as $30 clearanced..[/QUOTE]

You're an idiot.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']You're an idiot.[/QUOTE]

Ya know, once upon a time I did the same collector sort of thing with Simpsons figures. I knew it was silly, but it was a pretty fun lark and I had some extra cash lying around. I think a few people told me I was an idiot too. Then one day I got tired of it and cashed out and made an absurd pile of money off of them. So you just never know - one man's idiot is another man's pride and joy/entertainment/goldmine.

[quote name='handsomepete']Ya know, once upon a time I did the same collector sort of thing with Simpsons figures. I knew it was silly, but it was a pretty fun lark and I had some extra cash lying around. I think a few people told me I was an idiot too. Then one day I got tired of it and cashed out and made an absurd pile of money off of them. So you just never know - one man's idiot is another man's pride and joy/entertainment/goldmine.[/QUOTE]

Video games != action figures.

The prior Walmart Bioshock deal w/ BCB was still cheaper by a dollar...at least the PC version. I'm sure we'll continue to see drops ala Halo 3 Legendary.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Video games != action figures.[/QUOTE]

Ugh, fine.

You're an idiot too.

Not sure why you care what he does with his money anyways, but whatever. Back on topic - this CE looks slick as all get out, but I don't think I'll like Bioshock (I haven't played either, not a big fps fan). How are the extras?

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Video games != action figures.[/QUOTE]
bioshock 1 CE sells pretty good these days but then again B1CE is much better than 2's

Tempting and I want to play this game sooo bad... gotta resist. It's just a matter of time before this game hits the bargain bin!

.... RESIST!!!

[quote name='token2k6']and another thing to send me over the boiling point as to why I paid $100 release day, to not open, but to collect, and there are probably more copies of this than any other CE ever. piles of them! I can see this getting as low as $30 clearanced..[/QUOTE]

Lesson learned! Its a hard one but Thorough. Just learn and move on but depending where you bought it from if it is sealed you have 30 days for a full refund. For collecting unless its LIMITED you can usually find the deals. Just have to be patient. Good luck have fun

I finally played Bioshock a few weeks ago, and really enjoyed it. Got the regular version of Bioshock 2 at Amazon looking forward to it...

Well at least you didnt also buy the collectors GUIDE thinking that would also be a collectors item (I wonder why they still even make guides)

I laid off the bioshock 2 CE, I had a feeling it would be overproduced and end up like the fallout 3 CE (dont say things like that in the deal thread before the game is released, the fan boys will get so angry :lol:

I actually saw this at Fry's too when I went yesterday. Posted about it here, but guess mine was a repost =P

A recent auction of the 3 posters included did end for about $30 on ebay though. And frankly, I like the quality of the box it came in, but I really wish it included more than paper and media. Even a Big Daddy keychain would have been nice.

[quote name='BaboonSqueezer']Well at least you didnt also buy the collectors GUIDE thinking that would also be a collectors item (I wonder why they still even make guides)

I laid off the bioshock 2 CE, I had a feeling it would be overproduced and end up like the fallout 3 CE (dont say things like that in the deal thread before the game is released, the fan boys will get so angry :lol:[/QUOTE]

I dunno, the Fallout 3 CE had cool contents at least. I enjoy my lunchbox/bobblehead. This I just don't see me caring much on the extras. People need to stop buying LEs for "rarity" (Protip: 9/10 ARE MASSSIVELY OVERPRODUCED) and start buying because they want the contents.

I'm laughing at everyone who thought this was going to be hot and made fun of me for saying this was going to be Arkham Asylum part 2. Wait till it hits $50 and then i'm on it.

[quote name='handsomepete']Ugh, fine.

You're an idiot too.

Not sure why you care what he does with his money anyways, but whatever. Back on topic - this CE looks slick as all get out, but I don't think I'll like Bioshock (I haven't played either, not a big fps fan). How are the extras?[/QUOTE]

Ooo, one example out of the thousands of games released every year. Investing in video games is stupid as fuck.

I didn't realize that this CE had so many copies. I will wait until it his $30-$40.

Does anyone know how rare these CE's are:

Assassins Creed Master Edition (PS3)
Batman Arkham Asylum Collectors Edition (PS3)
Mass Effect 2 Collectiors Edition (360)

[quote name='GUNNM']bioshock 1 CE sells pretty good these days but then again B1CE is much better than 2's[/QUOTE]

a big part of it has to do with the big daddy figure it came with

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Ooo, one example out of the thousands of games released every year. Investing in video games is stupid as fuck.[/QUOTE]Only 15 bucks max over msrp...
Great investment indeed. :lol:
The seller will get what he paid for it after shipping and ebay+paypal fees.

Games are not valuable 99% of the time.
Even when it does become fairly limited, it's not usually more than double to three times the msrp.
Which in perspective, isn't that much at all.

[quote name='dallow']Only 15 bucks max over msrp...
Great investment indeed. :lol:
The seller will get what he paid for it after shipping and ebay+paypal fees.

Games are not valuable 99% of the time.
Even when it does become fairly limited, it's not usually more than double to three times the msrp.
Which in perspective, isn't that much at all.[/QUOTE]

i agree games are not valuable most of the time - its the content of the CE or LE things that can sell for a decent amount - such as parting out the fallout 3 set or the ghostbusters set

[quote name='turboice']i agree games are not valuable most of the time - its the content of the CE or LE things that can sell for a decent amount - such as parting out the fallout 3 set or the ghostbusters set[/QUOTE]
Parting out CEs will help subsidize the cost.
That's a game of chance though.

I don't understand sometimes why the people who buy them don't just buy the CE itself and sell the game.

it's always hard to say if a limited edition will satisfy demand. Even now, because this thing is so giant, you might see stores clearancing it to free the shelf space. But then a few months down the line, there could be steady demand and it could be difficult/costly to find again.

Demon's Soul CE shot up to 2x the price too, so it's not always a bad investment. GoW3 LE is also sold out just about everywhere, so I think that could potentially be rare. ME2 is sold out just about anywhere. Most everything else, I wouldn't bother with unless you want it yourself and don't want to risk not having it.

Good indication is probably if pre-orders sell out. For Bioshock 2, the preorders were available even the day before release; Agarest LE is still available, so it'll likely not be rare in the long run (even though I ordered 2 myself, but that's beside the point). Bayonetta Climax Edition sold out super fast.

Edit: In addition to Agarest, I don't think Lunar:SSH:LE, and Sakura Wars:SLML:pE will be worth buying either unless you actually want it.

[quote name='elessar123']Demon's Soul CE shot up to 2x the price too, so it's not always a bad investment. GoW3 LE is also sold out just about everywhere, so I think that could potentially be rare. ME2 is sold out just about anywhere. Most everything else, I wouldn't bother with unless you want it yourself and don't want to risk not having it.

Good indication is probably if pre-orders sell out. For Bioshock 2, the preorders were available even the day before release; Agarest LE is still available, so it'll likely not be rare in the long run (even though I ordered 2 myself, but that's beside the point). Bayonetta Climax Edition sold out super fast.

Edit: In addition to Agarest, I don't think Lunar:SSH:LE, and Sakura Wars:SLML:pE will be worth buying either unless you actually want it.[/QUOTE]

Never heard of Bayonetta Climax Edition. Was that even available in the US?

[quote name='leesiulung']Never heard of Bayonetta Climax Edition. Was that even available in the US?[/QUOTE]

Nope =( It came with a small replica of a Scarborough Fair =(

[quote name='elessar123']Nope =( It came with a small replica of a Scarborough Fair =([/QUOTE]

With apparently a really crappy paint job, apparently because that's what I've read. Sucks for the people that got it, but atleast I don't mind missing out(on a hot pink gun...god why do I want these things?)

AC2 CE (PS3 and 360) and Mass Effect 2 CE (360) are very tough to find. They're only available, it seems, on ebay and other auction sites.

[quote name='flameofdoom666']I didn't realize that this CE had so many copies. I will wait until it his $30-$40.

Assassins Creed Master Edition (PS3)
Batman Arkham Asylum Collectors Edition (PS3)
Mass Effect 2 Collectiors Edition (360)[/QUOTE]

[quote name='flameofdoom666']I didn't realize that this CE had so many copies. I will wait until it his $30-$40.

Assassins Creed Master Edition (PS3) You'll get less than retail.
Batman Arkham Asylum Collectors Edition (PS3) Dropped to $60 and will continue to drop.
Mass Effect 2 Collectiors Edition (360)[/QUOTE] Somewhat rare now, but it won't be as rare as many people believe. This isn't like the Mass Effect 1 CE.

[quote name='Estebon']I'm laughing at everyone who thought this was going to be hot and made fun of me for saying this was going to be Arkham Asylum part 2. Wait till it hits $50 and then i'm on it.[/QUOTE]

How exactly is this Arkham Asylum part 2, that CE didn't sell because it was terrible and poorly made. Anyone who has actually bought this CE (which I'm guessing most of you haven't) would know that it's an incredibly well made CE that was worth the money paid and is an even better value at the Fry's price.

I think people were giving you and others shit because people were making a poor comparison and also claiming that this will go the way of the the Halo 3 cat helmet. If this CE shows up everywhere in 6 months for $30, it's because there are so many gamers without maturity and taste in their CE's, not because it was a poorly made or 'rip-off' CE.

Anyone on the fence about this CE should grab a copy - the game is solid, the art book is sweet, record and CD are great, and the 3 posters having freaking hidden messages on them ... plus the box is great.

Sure you can wait til it's dirt cheap ... but the biggest problem with doing that is that you risk getting a mangled CE. I've already seen a bunch of these that will clearance out at Target, not because they aren't worth the money but because the spider cables they use on these at most big box stores completely mangle the packaging and who wants to buy a collector's edition that is jacked up at full price.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad I didn't get this CE though I did get 2 of the guides.

The ME2 CE may be rare if there's no reprint especially because of people opening it to sell the Collector Armor code.

The GoW 3 Ultimate Edition looks like it could be rare also. It's sold out at least for now at Gamestop, Amazon, and Walmart. Worst Buy still has it to ship but they removed the store pick up option on it. I think its a pretty good buy though regardless since it comes with Pandoras Box + the Dominus Skin. Both those I imagine would take a decent chunk out of the $100 price tag if you wanted to sell on ebay.

Basically like someone else said if you're going to buy a CE and hope it becomes rare GET IT SOMEWHERE YOU CAN RETURN IT IN CASE THAT DOESNT HAPPEN.

Saw these at Fry's in Sacramento priced at 79. They did have this shitty anti-theft wrap on them that was damaging the box and cover. In my opinion these will be clearanced out, i see them everywhere. Lucky i only paid like 3 bucks for mine with my amazon credit card points.

[quote name='GeorgeCostanza']Saw these at Fry's in Sacramento priced at 79. They did have this shitty anti-theft wrap on them that was damaging the box and cover. In my opinion these will be clearanced out, i see them everywhere. Lucky i only paid like 3 bucks for mine with my amazon credit card points.[/QUOTE]
Do you think they'll still have it tomorrow? I will try to make it over there afterschool.

This is one of those rare instances where paying retail wasn't a bad thing, not in the slightest. This was a sweet CE, and a great game. The book alone (the big selling point for me) was well worth the original price. Everything else was a bonus for me.

They did overproduce them, but that's the chance you take. If they hadn't (and they didn't overproduce the first game's CE) you folks would be scrambling to pick up the CE contents at well over retail. I'll gladly trade a few extra bucks to ensure I got mine on day one, minty fresh.

Plus, I want to support good games and good CE's like this one. Waiting to bottom-feed after prices are slashed basically makes your vote meaningless. You are among the ignored as far as retailers and producers are concerned. Fine for most stuff, but if you care about it then it's not the way to go.

You see, you choose and pick games to collect.

I had a big problem buying LE/CE now, since most game, as mentioned before, are massively produced for maximized profit.

Kind of kicking myself in the head for not picking up GoWIII Ultimate Edition though, but that's another story for another time.

Note: most console exclusive games tend to run limited number on their CE/LE, whereas cross-console games are more likely screw you over. That goes for PS3, not so much for M$'s 360.

Edited: Holy crap... I'm typing like a foreigner under influence.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I don't see the hype behind the GOW UE ... it's a box and it has DLC ... but I guess that's where I differ from many other gamers. I loved the record and artbook but the GoW UE looked like a waste of money to me. Granted, it may be worth more from a collectible standpoint simply because GoW has a more rabid fanbase than Bioshock ever did.

My money is still on the Alan Wake CE being the next bioshock 1 level CE as far as value goes, assuming the game garners positive reviews.

[quote name='etcrane']Personally I don't see the hype behind the GOW UE ... it's a box and it has DLC ... but I guess that's where I differ from many other gamers. I loved the record and artbook but the GoW UE looked like a waste of money to me. Granted, it may be worth more from a collectible standpoint simply because GoW has a more rabid fanbase than Bioshock ever did.

My money is still on the Alan Wake CE being the next bioshock 1 level CE as far as value goes, assuming the game garners positive reviews.[/QUOTE]

Well, I personally judge the value of a CE/LE item by how much I enjoy the franchise, and, most importantly, how many are being shipped out. I don't have anything against Halo 3, but its legendary edition is probably one of the most worthless purchase one could have possibly made.

That's just me though. I do agree, though, on the Alan Wake CE. Don't imagine they'll ship out too many of those. :cool:

So yeah...I spent the $100 on this. Am I upset that it's cheaper now? Yes. Am I going to lose sleep over it? No. Sure, I could have saved a few bucks, but $10-$30 in savings is not going to make or break a person's bank account. Chill out. Don't feel stupid for buying on release day. I wanted it on release day, and I bought it on release day. I assume anybody else who bought it, wanted it, so be happy that you've got it.

bioshocker.jpg

I thought this thread was missing something ...

bread's done
Back