FS: Windows XP Professional Retail Version

JediSB

CAGiversary!
This is the original CD release of Windows XP Pro. In other words, the disc contains the original version of Windows XP, pre-SP1. I will also include a CD-R with SP2 on it as well as an program for creating your own 'slipstreamed' install CD with SP2 from the original CD. Instructions for creating the slipstreamed disc will be included as well.

Asking $100.00 USD, shipped.

PM me if you're interested.

It is an ok deal for $100 but the price of software drops like hot potatoe considering you can get the boot legged version and just download all the updates.

It is hard to sell software online.

[quote name='bigdaddysheikh']It is an ok deal for $100 but the price of software drops like hot potatoe considering you can get the boot legged version and just download all the updates.

It is hard to sell software online.[/quote]

most people on here don't promote or condone illegal activity, so it is a good deal actually unless you can find it cheaper.

most people on here don't promote or condone illegal activity, so it is a good deal actually unless you can find it cheaper.

Thanks for pointing that out. I thought it was a good deal, about 50% less than buying it somewhere.

Before posting this I checked various places (Froogle search, Ebay, etc.) for this specific product and most places are selling it for around $200. The newest retail box (including SP2) sells for $300 at Amazon.com. So for a 66% saving you have to install SP2 yourself. I think that's worth it.

I should reiterate that this the full install CD, not the upgrade only version, and it is definitely not OEM. It is the full retail box.

Why am I selling it? I work for Gamestop (store 109, Jefferson Mall, Louisville KY) and qualify for Microsoft's training sites. Through their Windows Mobile training I earned enough reward points for Windows XP and promptly ordered one for myself. I few months later I emailed them inquiring about additional training as there had been none added to the site for a while. For some unknown reason, they sent me another copy of WinXP a week later. I called them and told them I didn't order it, that I didn't want my reward points reduced, etc. They said that was fine but to go ahead and keep the extra copy, compliments of them. I don't need two copies of XP as I only have one PC, so I'm selling the extra copy.

[quote name='JediSB']

Thanks for pointing that out. I thought it was a good deal, about 50% less than buying it somewhere.

Before posting this I checked various places (Froogle search, Ebay, etc.) for this specific product and most places are selling it for around $200. The newest retail box (including SP2) sells for $300 at Amazon.com. So for a 66% saving you have to install SP2 yourself. I think that's worth it.

I should reiterate that this the full install CD, not the upgrade only version, and it is definitely not OEM. It is the full retail box.

Why am I selling it? I work for Gamestop (store 109, Jefferson Mall, Louisville KY) and qualify for Microsoft's training sites. Through their Windows Mobile training I earned enough reward points for Windows XP and promptly ordered one for myself. I few months later I emailed them inquiring about additional training as there had been none added to the site for a while. For some unknown reason, they sent me another copy of WinXP a week later. I called them and told them I didn't order it, that I didn't want my reward points reduced, etc. They said that was fine but to go ahead and keep the extra copy, compliments of them. I don't need two copies of XP as I only have one PC, so I'm selling the extra copy.[/quote]

Full version, non OEM and not an upgrade?

If someone doesn't bite on this I'm going to buy it and I don't need it!

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Can someone tell me what is included in the full retail version that you won't get with the OEM version?[/quote]

Absolutely nothing. Oh, the colorful box...

[quote name='beerguy961'][quote name='RedvsBlue']Can someone tell me what is included in the full retail version that you won't get with the OEM version?[/quote]

Absolutely nothing. Oh, the colorful box...[/quote]

So why the big deal between OEM and Retail, I thought I read that the OEM didn't have nearly as many drivers and is missing a few of the "bells and whistles" that Retail has.

OEM has no Microsoft Support. Retail does.

If you ever have the need to contact Microsoft Tech Support, you have to insert your CD-Key first and OEM keys are not accpeted, they'll direct you to your OEM manufacturer.

I've never had the need to contact MS tech support so I just went with the XP Pro full OEM. Purcahsed in '02 for ~$115.

This would be a hot deal.

[quote name='RedvsBlue'][quote name='beerguy961'][quote name='RedvsBlue']Can someone tell me what is included in the full retail version that you won't get with the OEM version?[/quote]

So why the big deal between OEM and Retail, I thought I read that the OEM didn't have nearly as many drivers and is missing a few of the "bells and whistles" that Retail has.[/quote]

OEM versions are about half the price of Retail version.

[quote name='beerguy961'][quote name='RedvsBlue'][quote name='beerguy961'][quote name='RedvsBlue']Can someone tell me what is included in the full retail version that you won't get with the OEM version?[/quote]

So why the big deal between OEM and Retail, I thought I read that the OEM didn't have nearly as many drivers and is missing a few of the "bells and whistles" that Retail has.[/quote]

OEM versions are about half the price of Retail version.[/quote]

That's what I was getting at, why is it twice as much if you don't get anything extra.

Also, when you say no support does that include updates and service packs?

You get all the updates and service packs with oem versions. There are only 4 major differeneces. (besides price)

1. OEM version comes in a small package with a small manual.
2. OEM version gets no technical support from Microsoft.
3. OEM version can only be installed a small amount of times before you have to call microsoft for a new cd-key ever time you re-install.
4. OEM version has to be purchased with some type of hardware to be a legal sale. (like an IDE cable for $5)

So if you dont need tech support and dont plan on installing and re-installing windows alot then the oem verion is probably fine for you.

Also, in regards to this deal. There is no full oem version of windows xp pro. So considering that an oem verion of home goes for $80-$100, this is a very good deal.

Oh yah, if you send first ill take it. Have paypal?

I believe number three on your list is not exclusive to OEM verisons. All verisons of XP have hardware tracking. Any major changes within a certain amount of time will result in the "call MS for new key" error.

Even if you install the oem version on the same computer like 4-5 times you will have to call microsoft. When no hardware has been changed. I know I did when I was having problems with the computer I built.

I'm positive that's not the case because my OEM XP Pro installed on the same machine (same hardware) has not had that problem.

The problem is the hardware config you activated with. Having partial drivers installed on one activation and different drivers installed on another activation will confuse the process. Same thing happened to me.

bread's done
Back