Full Metal Alchemist

[quote name='Fatso2027']I'm looking for a deal on the first and second season box sets, $50 is ridiculous. Something in the $20 range for each set would be nice, thanks![/QUOTE]

Are you saying that $50 each, or total, is too much? When I got them,
I paid $38 for each one.

Um, you must be new to the Anime scene. Around 2003, I got the Cowboy
Bebop
DVD's. This was before US publishers realized that their high markup
was driving fans to bootlegging their shows. Now, what I got was the original
six DVD's, before the Remix releases. I paid, for each, $20. Normally, they were $25. So, in total, I paid $120. Now, you can get the Remix box set for....$40.

So, I think that you are asking too much from them. But, if you really must,
wait for Amazon's next Anime sale. They had one a month or so ago.
I don't know what they were going for, back then.

Anywho, I think that you're asking too much from them. It's plenty cheap.
Just go for it.

[quote name='genfuyung']Skip it and buy fullmetal alchemist brotherhood. Its much better.[/QUOTE]

What, what, what???

Why the devil should they do that? They're all good.

Yep, all good. Just don't watch both series back to back, as Brotherhood initially borrows a lot from the first series and it might be a little off-putting at first. Bearing that in mind, can't go wrong with either.

[quote name='Fatso2027']I'm looking for a deal on the first and second season box sets, $50 is ridiculous. Something in the $20 range for each set would be nice, thanks![/QUOTE]

*Expecting* an average of less than $1 per episode is unrealistic (usually only happens with old/bad series), the aforementioned $30 apiece is a fair price.

I dunno, I guess I'm not new per say, I don't watch a whole lot of anime, mostly what's on Adult Swim, and I've never bought anything, that's why I'm wanting to find these on the cheap. $30 seems pretty reasonable to me, I'll have to pick at least one season up for now.
What was the Amazon sale? Like how much off was it?

I went through Right Stuff, and they came out at 40 a piece, am I doing something wrong?

Nothing wrong, you were likely pricing a different set. The one rehtz mentioned for $29.99 (price after applying 40% 'alchemist' coupon) is the DVD Part 1 of FMA: Brotherhood. The blu-ray part 1 would be 32.99 after coupon for comparison.

The original season 1 boxset is $41.98 after coupon. Same for season 2.

I haven't watched Brotherhood since I have the original, and saw no reason to go with a retelling. Maybe it gets better, but the first few eps bugged me as it felt choppy, or something, since the scenes were taken from the originals and spliced differently.

You missed a previous sale where RightStuf was discounting further all of their single disc closeout bargain bin stuff and you could have gotten the single disc Viridians for under $4 each.

They're not unreasonably priced on eBay, but be VERY careful of bootlegs on there. If a price sounds too good to be true, it probably is, always make sure it's an official Region 1 (US) release.

[quote name='Hibiwa']I haven't watched Brotherhood since I have the original, and saw no reason to go with a retelling. Maybe it gets better, but the first few eps bugged me as it felt choppy, or something, since the scenes were taken from the originals and spliced differently.[/QUOTE]

The first few episodes are a major rehash, but it eventually shifts and expands considerably.

There's tons more on Van Hohenheim, the Homunculi origins, the Truth, etc.

I won't say either is better. But if you can tough it out through the first bunch of episodes, you'll be rewarded. Brotherhood seems to more closely follow the manga, from what I've read so far.

I can't link you directly to the specific pages, but Rightstuf (yes, that is spelled correctly, only one f) has each boxset discounted to $19.99 right now, and last I checked they also had a coupon/sale going on a bunch of other funimation stuff, including brotherhood.

I can't link you directly to the specific pages, but Rightstuf (yes, that is spelled correctly, only one f) has each boxset discounted to $19.99 right now, and last I checked they also had a coupon/sale going on a bunch of other funimation stuff, including brotherhood.

Kaiselius means the DVD part 1 - 4 box sets are $19.00 each. No additional discounts can be applied to these though.

Box set 1

Box set 2

Box set 3

Box set 4

There are slight differences between the complete season box sets and the one's above. Forgot what, but it was related to the number of discs and the special features. All have the full eps nonetheless.

[quote name='Kylearan']The first few episodes are a major rehash, but it eventually shifts and expands considerably.

There's tons more on Van Hohenheim, the Homunculi origins, the Truth, etc.

I won't say either is better. But if you can tough it out through the first bunch of episodes, you'll be rewarded. Brotherhood seems to more closely follow the manga, from what I've read so far.[/QUOTE]

Interesting... do they actually use new animation and dialogue? I think I can muster up the strength to see it through for the new content you mentioned.

Thanks.

[quote name='Hibiwa']
I haven't watched Brotherhood since I have the original, and saw no reason to go with a retelling. Maybe it gets better, but the first few eps bugged me as it felt choppy, or something, since the scenes were taken from the originals and spliced differently.
.[/QUOTE]

Definitely check out Brotherhood. Yes, it seems like a rehash at first, because they are produced from the same source material, but the series takes a major swerve after Hughes' death.

I can't remember where I saw it but the manga author stated that the original series followed along very closely and she was heavily involved up until the mid point, when the production out paced the manga. Instead of demanding they stop until she had built up buffer of new stories or produce filler she let the production team finish out the story the way they wanted to while she refocused on the manga.

You are doing yourself a major disservice if you skip over Brotherhood just because it seems like a rehash. It really picks up steam when it gets into the new material and where it's at now is crazy awesome.

The 1st 10 episodes or so of Brotherhood are like expedited episodes of the anime. Then the story completely breaks off and they become almost completely different.

Both are good in their own way.

[quote name='ChuckFirsto']
You are doing yourself a major disservice if you skip over Brotherhood just because it seems like a rehash. It really picks up steam when it gets into the new material and where it's at now is crazy awesome.[/QUOTE]

Don't know why I thought it was a gimmick when they announced Brotherhood. You know, like introducing a shortened version for those who missed out the first series.

As for Fatso2027 - Watch the original first! You have to appreciate the full journey for the brothers, and not breeze through the 10 abridged eps (from what I'm reading here). It's really, really good.

Now, I can't wait to catch up on Brotherhood and fill in the blanks with new stuff. :dunce:

Alright :) I just gotta wait and find a deal on it now! I think $30 is my bite price on this one.
Just ordered S1 P1 from Rightstuf! I'm excited to start watching!

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back