Funimation's Comic-Con Sale - Title changed

Dragamagic

CAGiversary!
I'm not sure, but I was looking at some of the S.A.V.E. box sets, and it appears the prices are lower than the usual prices for most sets (I think Negima?! was one that was still around 19.49 hence the reason I put most.)

Just in case anyone in interested.

Edit: Updated title with thirdrose's findings. See the link below. Thanks for letting me know what was going on.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jedimario']So is that a good price on fairy tail?[/QUOTE]

Fairy Tail is a really good anime, but I remember picking up my four volumes for something like $20.99 each. It'll get cheaper again, just depends how long you want to wait.

I've seen most of these cheaper during other sales. I'd wait for a better sale to bite.

Prices actually seems like the usual for me. Probably a good deal on some SAVE titles, but I was interested in none of them. Anything that's typically 13 episodes from Funi is apparently becoming a collection now later on (This would probably include Fairy Tail in the near future). I just saw Spice and Wolf S1 and S2 in this sale but they are putting them in one set in September, so yeah. Probably only good for SAVE animes.

Is Claymore worth it for the price ($26.49 on Blu-ray)? Is it actually a good sale in comparison to what it normally goes for? I've enjoyed the manga, never watched the anime, and I'm aware that it ends on its own (in comparison to the former, which is still going).

[quote name='clawfrombelow']Am I right in assuming that the S.A.V.E. versions have the green S.A.V.E. banner incorporated into the artwork?[/QUOTE]

Yup, but it is reversible if you don't like it.

[quote name='clawfrombelow']Am I right in assuming that the S.A.V.E. versions have the green S.A.V.E. banner incorporated into the artwork?[/QUOTE]

Not all of them. Only the ones that have the vertical bars. Some of the ones that have the small horizontal save logo on it only have the logo on the shrink wrap, but not on the actual box. But as tuklaw noted, you can reverse the cover art too, since the bar looks awful.

[quote name='Squarehard']Not all of them. Only the ones that have the vertical bars. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, not all have the title on the spine. The only one in my collection that doesn't have the title on the reversible spine is Magikano.

Also, some S.A.V.E. editions are repackaged Viridian Collection editions. I know Galaxy Railways is one that comes in the old cardboard box that has no real holders for the discs, just cardboard sleeves that can easily scratch the discs.

[quote name='monkeymanofmars']Anyone know how long this sale typically lasts for?[/QUOTE]

Considering it's a "Comic-Con" sale, I'd say it will continue until at least July 12th-15th.

I am the only one that thinks this is kind of a "meh" sale? Seems like the sale they had during christmas last year was better than this, where stuff like Kanon & School Rumble were under $12.

Picked up Case Closed: Countdown to Heaven thus completing my collection. Wish Funimation would pick up more episodes or at least the Detective Conan/Lupin crossover.

Thanks, OP.

I just got my order from the Funimation Shop Channel using the Buy one get one deal on save editions. When I was ordering I was somehow able to glitch an extra free save edition in my cart, which I was unable to replicate again. I did'nt think they would honor it but in the end they ended up shipping it.

Item Details PriceSubtotal:$29.98 Shipping:$0.00 Grand Total:$29.98
1 x MAGIKANO - COMPLETE SERIES - S.A.V.E. Gift Wrapping: $0.00
1 x Mushishi - Box Set - S.A.V.E. Gift Wrapping: $29.98
1 x Shuffle - Complete Box Set - S.A.V.E. Gift Wrapping: $0.00

Is there any other time of year that DB/DBZ seasons are usually cheaper? Like maybe $10 a set? Regular, not Kai.

[quote name='Deserter Goose']Is Claymore worth it for the price ($26.49 on Blu-ray)? Is it actually a good sale in comparison to what it normally goes for? I've enjoyed the manga, never watched the anime, and I'm aware that it ends on its own (in comparison to the former, which is still going).[/QUOTE]

I would say it is. I'll freely admit that I'm not the biggest anime aficionado and haven't read the manga, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

....and upon further inspection, it appears that the whole thing is on Hulu right now (no sub required) so you can either watch it there or sample a few episodes.

[quote name='Rogueleader17']picked up Fruits basket, looked funny anyway.[/QUOTE]

it starts out that way, but as the series progresses (if i recall) it gets more dramatic and even heartbreaking. you've been warned.

[quote name='Cjrosa6']Is there any other time of year that DB/DBZ seasons are usually cheaper? Like maybe $10 a set? Regular, not Kai.[/QUOTE]

I've honestly never seen them under $15 new before (maybe used?)

And I'd love to suggest the Dragon Boxes, but #2 itself is worth over $200 used, and on here only 5-7 are available for very good prices...

Not sure, but I want Spice & Wolf. First season is on Netflix and loved it. Season 2... only access I have to it is Funimation HD channel on U-Verse, but I don't have all the episodes recorded.

[quote name='sleepydumbdude']OK what is the best DBZ set to buy if I like the original funimation music and not the japanese one?[/QUOTE]

The orange season sets. The stereo english tracks have the shitty soundtrack.

I think the japanese one sounds corny and generic. That is the set that has cut off a lot of the scenes to make it "wide screen" right? If so I'll just stick with my copies I recorded with my dvr.

[quote name='sleepydumbdude']I think the japanese one sounds corny and generic. That is the set that has cut off a lot of the scenes to make it "wide screen" right? If so I'll just stick with my copies I recorded with my dvr.[/QUOTE]

Yes, the orange sets have cropping.

Why Funi decided to keep those POS sets in print and discontinue Dragon Boxes is beyond me.

[quote name='sleepydumbdude']I think the japanese one sounds corny and generic. That is the set that has cut off a lot of the scenes to make it "wide screen" right? If so I'll just stick with my copies I recorded with my dvr.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. The english soundtrack is way better. Hopefully they do a blu ray box set in the future that's not cropped.

[quote name='gmsick']Agreed. The english soundtrack is way better. Hopefully they do a blu ray box set in the future that's not cropped.[/QUOTE]

They did start one with the original japanese master but unfortunatly they stopped after the first season due to it not selling well enough.

[quote name='b3b0p']Not sure, but I want Spice & Wolf. First season is on Netflix and loved it. Season 2... only access I have to it is Funimation HD channel on U-Verse, but I don't have all the episodes recorded.[/QUOTE]

Both seasons of Spice & Wolf are great.

[quote name='Deserter Goose']Is Claymore worth it for the price ($26.49 on Blu-ray)? Is it actually a good sale in comparison to what it normally goes for? I've enjoyed the manga, never watched the anime, and I'm aware that it ends on its own (in comparison to the former, which is still going).[/QUOTE]

It's pretty good series, if you have netflix watch it there to see if you like it.

bread's done
Back