Future Shop Calgary stores Now taking trade ins!

WTF is a broadwat? is this their new used games service? I guess I'm all for it but their employees will have to wise up. let's hope they do EB one better and don't put a 1000 stickers everywhere on their games.

Does this mean EB and Futureshop will be competing thus higher TIV's ? Or are these games people returned to FS ?

i'm with magiic on this. Futureshop taking in trades is out of nowhere, and i can't see any good coming from this since they have enough to worry about with all the non-game stuff they carry.

if this does happen around here, i can't see it lasting for too long.

It's understandable, the used gaming market is huge and only grows every year. Accepting trades would take a bite out of EB, ensure they get more customers and get them spend more money on games. It makes perfect sense but very unusual for a big retailer, I can't see this lasting too long, it's strange a big box store would resort to taking used product to attract new customers.

Then again this could just be another outlet for them, no harm in attempting to make profit on accepting used product that's applied to new products.

So soon people will come in to Futureshop and buy USED things -_- If they do this trade in thing they would have to open a counter for games. This could cause issues. Also, I don't know if Futureshop is too fond of people walking in and out with games in their hand without receipt etc. They would have to open a special counter cause normal cashiers won't know a thing about games and what ever trade in values they have.

Well they already do have customer service desks right by every entrance, so that's not much of a problem.

I wanna head over to Broadway tomorrow and check it out :D

People who go to Broadway FS: try to go with older games such as PS2, Xbox,Gamecube and see if they have a TIV for these games...

It might be an opportunity to unload old games.

[quote name='ragnar14']Well they already do have customer service desks right by every entrance, so that's not much of a problem.
[/quote]

it's true they do have that desk at the entrance, but almost every time i go to my local Futureshop (peak hours or not), their line is backed WAY up with folks returning cameras, fans, printers, software, or just bringing in computers to get fixed. oh, and folks (like me) who go to pricematch stuff after they've bought it.

my point is, if i wanted to trade in games, i wouldn't want to wait in a 30 minute line. the staff at this store is already woefully inept at handling their basic tasks, and i'd hate to see another thing like trade values get tossed in to muck it up. i'd probably just head'er over to Microplay or EB.

I am very EXCITED to see this pop at up my local Futureshop. I hope they have some GOOD trade in values. Maybe we will see some EPIC trade in deals.

I was there today, because I couldn't believe it until I saw it with my own eyes. It's the sign of the apocalypse. From talking with the employee there, it seems that it's going well and will likely be rolled out to the other stores in a few months.

bumping an old thread. i taled to a futureshop guy in video games department the other day. he mentioned that this is coming to ontario too. they should have details in mid june and it should start in July.

Future Shop Introduces Used Video Games to Calgary
Monday June 16, 5:02 pm ET
New offering gives Calgary's gaming enthusiasts a chance to purchase games at lower prices and trade-in past favourites

BURNABY, BRITISH COLUMBIA--(MARKET WIRE)--Jun 16, 2008 -- Calgary video gaming enthusiasts have a new source for quality used video games and a place to trade-in previously played titles. Future Shop, Canada's largest retailer and e-tailer of consumer electronics, today announced the launch of their used gaming program at six stores in Calgary. The city has been selected as the pilot city for the program which will roll out nationally by late summer.Calgary customers can retire games in exchange for credit towards other previously-owned titles. Or, they can take advantage of purchasing used versus new games for their collection. When the program rolls out nationally, customers outside Calgary can turn-in their used games for a credit on a gift card to use towards purchasing any item in-store. All used games will be tested, cleaned, and re-packaged in like new condition for customers and will be backed with a 30-day guarantee.

"Future Shop recognizes the growing demand for used games with the increased interest in social gaming, online gaming across Canada especially in the City of Calgary," said Anita Sehgal, Director of Customer Experience, Future Shop. "We're thrilled to meet the lifestyle needs and cycles of customers with families, new gamers and gamers looking for the next challenge or to increase their library of video games.

Future Shop will accept selected titles for five of the current gaming consoles: XBOX 360, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable, Nintendo Wii and Nintendo DS.
Thousands of titles will be accepted for trade-in and sale at six participating Future Shop stores in the Calgary area:

- Northland Village (420-5111 Northland Drive NW)
- Northeast Calgary (3319-26 Avenue NE)
- Shawnessy Towne Centre (110 - 350R Shawville Boulevard SE)
- Coventry Hills (331-130 Country Village Road NE)
- Deerfoot Meadows (1180 - 33 Heritage Meadows Way SE)
- Beacon Hill (11810 Sarcee Trail NW)

Calgary is a healthy market for piloting Future Shop's used gaming launch. Earlier this year, in response to the popularity of video gaming in Calgary, the company launched two new positions including: Head Gamer and Gaming Experts. These are store associates who have extensive gaming backgrounds and product knowledge.

[quote name='method47']All Future Shops should be starting this soon.[/quote]

[quote name='danthemightyone']bumping an old thread. i taled to a futureshop guy in video games department the other day. he mentioned that this is coming to ontario too. they should have details in mid june and it should start in July.[/quote]

East Coast isn't schedule until 1st quarter of '09, I think to do it after the Xmas rush.

I don't see TIVs being so high, but I do see since FS is jumping into this is every once in a while having some CRAZY trade in values that hoarders and CAGers alike will take advantage of.

Has anyone actually gotten any trade in values from them yet? The Broadway trial has been going on for awhile... As far as value, well, I think FS store credit is worth more than BBV credit.. FS tends to have better sales once in awhile.

Wow that's crazy I'll have to look into this Futureshop does have good sales every now and again but they dont have buy 2's get 1 free or trade 3 get 1 free type promos thats places like Blockbuster or EB games have had so I dont know if I'll use them.

It's a shame the credit can't be used for other purchases :D such as TVs and such.

And I hope those two new positions come with pay raises, a frivolous and very embarrassing title like that should come with a pay raise.

I went by the Broadway location yesterday to check some TIVs. They seem relatively consistent based on the resale value of the game. Used games are 20% off retail.

I was quoted $18 each for Battalion Wars 2, Resident Evil UC, and Super Mario Galaxy. So unlike EB popularity/publisher doesn't matter, hence the $18 for Galaxy. Puzzle Quest Wii was $8.40.

Their system is ridiculously slow and highly inefficient as well.

I would guess that TIVs are about 35% of retail. XBOX, GBA, and GC games are ineligible.

[quote name='GuardianFlash']So soon people will come in to Futureshop and buy USED things -_- If they do this trade in thing they would have to open a counter for games. This could cause issues. Also, I don't know if Futureshop is too fond of people walking in and out with games in their hand without receipt etc. They would have to open a special counter cause normal cashiers won't know a thing about games and what ever trade in values they have.[/quote]

Cashiers don't know shit to begin with. ;)

[quote name='turgore2008']If they do that means they will sell used games ?[/quote]
Nope. They just buy them from people and melt them. It increases demand for the remaining copies of the game.

[quote name='Teddite']Nope. They just buy them from people and melt them. It increases demand for the remaining copies of the game.[/quote]

"To the SMELTING MACHINE!!!" - Austin Powers 3.

[quote name='magiic']I am very EXCITED to see this pop at up my local Futureshop. I hope they have some GOOD trade in values. Maybe we will see some EPIC trade in deals.[/quote]
I expect the sales to be much better now . The best deal I got at them was Perfect Dark Zero a while ago for 20 bucks while in other places it was double or more.

bread's done
Back