FYE BOGO1/2off Sale on Anime & Related Items Event Sun. Jan 27

fairyland

CAGiversary!
Just got back from FYE and I had seen quite a few signs advertising "buy one get one 1/2 off" on anime and related items. It's some special event sponsored by Manga Entertainment, one day only, Sun Jan 27th. It seems to apply to all anime, manga, related toys, etc, etc with no stated stipulations, which I assume is free game for anything. I have no idea if it's YMMV, but I doubt it. Also, as crazy as this may seem, my store is having an anime costume contest at 3PM. I'm bringing my camera just in case anyone actually does it! Your store my have something zany going on as well.

Before I get flamed and people tell me that FYE sucks because they over charge, I think that you can use this on anime boxsets. If so then this deal "could" make it worth your while. Who knows? But they do tend to have newest anime, which if you cannot wait to get it cheaper, then you'll do well here as well but then your best buy could be cheaper on the very same discs even after the sale, so do be a smart shopper and compare before the sale happens. Also the manga and toys will be on sale, which is rarely on sale elsewhere other than a clearance sale. Anyway, enjoy the sale if you make it!

Actually FYE is famous for having items on sale/clearance on and not marking them, so this could pan out into something cool indeed. Thanks OP!

I wouldn't disagree that on occasions FYE does have solid deals. I recently snagged the complete Samurai Champloo set for approximately $79.00 dollars or so, Karas: Relevation *&* Prophecy complete collection for $14.77 or so.

But then again, quite frequently when "sales" roll around, prices automatically jump back up to retail premium, and a theoretically hot sale no longer screams hot. These buy 1, get 1 half off translates into sales that can be had elsewhere.

Will investigate and hopefully acquire some of geneon titles (maybe others) ONLY if mathematically sale-worthy relative to internet pricing.

[quote name='mounism']whats OP?[/quote]

OP = Original Poster (the person who started the thread)

Transworld stores are also currently doing the bonus 45% trade in deal, and $10 off all $15.99 (regularly priced, not sale price) and up Funimation, Geneon & Bandai dvds.

[quote name='Bezerker']Transworld stores are also currently doing the bonus 45% trade in deal, and $10 off all $15.99 (regularly priced, not sale price) and up Funimation, Geneon & Bandai dvds.[/quote]

Is this universal for all stores or the dreaded YMMV effect?

At $29.99 regularly "FYE/Suncoast" priced titles, $19.99 each on FUN, Geneon, and Bandai seems like an average sale offering.

What's the normal trade in value at FYE/Suncoast stores a on single dvd? If it's 2 - 3 dollars a title, then it seems pointless. Might as well just ebay them despite the extra time and hassle.

Prices vary, check the 45% trade in thread in the VG forums for details. One guy found a buncha titles for $1.50 at a pawn shop that got $9 each.

I'm not going to tell the name of the cd, but an old EP for one of my favorite bands is worth $21.75, i can get em for $7-$10 each.

I was at FYE on Wednesday and saw that they had $10 off all Bandai, Geneon, and Funimation titles that were $14.99. Was thinking about filling the gaps in my Chobits collection, Vol.1, 3, and 5, but they didn't have them :(

[quote name='bokmeow']I was at FYE on Wednesday and saw that they had $10 off all Bandai, Geneon, and Funimation titles that were $14.99. Was thinking about filling the gaps in my Chobits collection, Vol.1, 3, and 5, but they didn't have them :([/QUOTE]

Holy crap. I might just go pick up Ikkitousen if this is in effect in my area.

Its going on at all Transworld stores, and on Sunday select FYE's & Suncoasts will be running a Buy 1 Get 1 50% off on top of the $10 off sale.

[quote name='Bezerker']Its going on at all Transworld stores, and on Sunday select FYE's & Suncoasts will be running a Buy 1 Get 1 50% off on top of the $10 off sale.[/quote]

I assume you work at one?
If this is true....:D

No, i'm just friends with the managers at a few of the local stores. They usually give me heads up on deals and whatnot.

Its YMMV though, not everyone has the luxury of having competent employees.

BUMP! ( That's why I double Post)

FYE in Redwood City is going to have a "Anime" festival.
Supposed to get a HUGH prize for the winner.
Not sure if all stores are having it.

Just, FYI.

Would anyone happen to know how much the Beck volumes retail for instore? It's the only show I would be interested in picking up for this sale. Thanks ahead of time.

And thanks for the heads up OP.

[quote name='darkcrawlspace']Would anyone happen to know how much the Beck volumes retail for instore? It's the only show I would be interested in picking up for this sale. Thanks ahead of time.

And thanks for the heads up OP.[/quote]
They should be $19.99 each or two for $30. If your store is incompetent, they'll be $19.99 each or two for $45 (yea, i'm sure they'll try to explain that math...)

[quote name='georox']My goals are: Black Lagoon
Hellsing
Ragnarok
Slayers
Witchblade[/quote]

Ragnarok! The one with the guy and the girl's a light mage?
That one?

I think it's more of a rent, then an own.
But my opinion.

[quote name='Veronica Mars']Ragnarok! The one with the guy and the girl's a light mage?
That one?

I think it's more of a rent, then an own.
But my opinion.[/quote]

No idea. I just know the (Didn't get a proper ending... bastards/douchebags/etc.) Manga was pretty cool. I'm probably skipping Ragnarok since only 1 or 2 volumes are out, which prioritizes Witchblade more.

[quote name='Bezerker']They should be $19.99 each or two for $30. If your store is incompetent, they'll be $19.99 each or two for $45 (yea, i'm sure they'll try to explain that math...)[/quote]
Bezerker, since you're in the know, what's the deal on Ikki Tousen (Geneon Title, or any other Geneon/Funimation title) with a $10 deal off if the listed current price printed directly on the yellow price sticker is at $14.99 (with a $29.99 crossed off).

Note that the $14.99 print looks exactly like the normal $29.99 print; it's not one of those white/red sticker tag either. The $14.99 is printed on the yellow sticker.

I'd figure it would come to $4.99, but was told differently.

[quote name='strawberryshortcake']Bezerker, since you're in the know, what's the deal on Ikki Tousen (Geneon Title, or any other Geneon/Funimation title) with a $10 deal off if the listed current price printed directly on the yellow price sticker is at $14.99 (with a $29.99 crossed off).

I'd figure it would come to $4.99, but was told differently.[/quote]

I think they got back to regular price, but you can always fight and see.

[quote name='Veronica Mars']I think they got back to regular price, but you can always fight and see.[/quote]
The thing that's strange is that the $14.99 price is the same font and size as a normal regular $29.99 price tag found on all other anime volumes regardless of series. Plus, the $14.99 print has been on the yellow sticker (with the $29.99 crossed off in smaller font) forever.

And all this is printed (not written) on the yellow sticker.

[quote name='Veronica Mars']BUMP! ( That's why I double Post)

FYE in Redwood City is going to have a "Anime" festival.
Supposed to get a HUGH prize for the winner.
Not sure if all stores are having it.

Just, FYI.[/quote]

How's the anime selection at the Redwood City FYE? Is it fairly large?

They re-did the store. Haven't been there since.
The store is the biggest one in the peninsula.

Going there later today.
They have all the DVD's, I want.

So is this deal dead with the BOGO 1/2 off sale starting today? It would be great if it was still going on, and both deals stacked like Bezerker said. If anyone happens to pick anything up today, let us know.

[quote name='strawberryshortcake']The thing that's strange is that the $14.99 price is the same font and size as a normal regular $29.99 price tag found on all other anime volumes regardless of series. Plus, the $14.99 print has been on the yellow sticker (with the $29.99 crossed off in smaller font) forever.

And all this is printed (not written) on the yellow sticker.[/QUOTE]

The regular price for Ikkitousen is $14.99. It's not a mistake and should ring up $4.99. I got Gunslinger Girl for $4.99 and it was labeled at $14.99.

The B1G1Half is only for today. Today is their Animania festival. They'll be doing the sale, along with trivia & giveaways.

Its mostly Funimation & SJ stuff that they give away, so there may be some Death Note prizes this time around.

[quote name='Veronica Mars']I'm going soon.
But I'm not dressing up.
Lol.[/quote]
Our Suncoast used to be in the most ghetto mall in Tampa. At their last Animania, there were only two people who dressed up, two emo kids dressed as Sasuke. You should've seen the looks they were getting from all the thugs & wiggers. I was seriously suprised that no one got shot.

Well, my FYEs anime selection was very picked through, so the 10 off part meant nothing.. knew nothing of the b1g1 50% off thing. No witchblade, burst angel, only 2 volumes of hellsing, not the same set even... no anything really.

Just got back. There was actually 5 people dressed up and probably 15 to 20 anime fans. Take a look:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Tsubasa_Kurenai/DSCF2527.jpg?t=1201473844

Sadly I arrived there late and the anime was either too high or just too expensive for my blood, as the Starland and Right Stuf sales spoiled me greatly. I bought two manga as a memento of the event.

Also, I stole a quiz so if you wanted to see what they had asked the people then look below. Sadly I don't like most of the series they asked about, so I only got 3 right and won a silly pin. Others won magazines and DVDs and whatever. My no life Otaku friend actually knew all the answers and pointed out that several was either trick questions or was not entirely correctly asked.

1 - What does Fooly Cooly mean?
2 - What saying is printed across the bottom of NERV crest?
3. In Cowboy Bebop, which Character Dies? Spike, Faye, or Ed.
4 - In Trigun, what is the reward for capturing Vash the Stampede?
5 - Lupin the Third was first shown in what decade?
6 - What mark does inuyasha's arch nemisis bear?
and
Where is it located?
7 - What upcoming FUNimation title is based off a popular MMORPG?
8 - What show has Action Bastard as a hero?
9 - The Rara Army is from where?
10 - The villian known as Garma Zabi hails from what evil organization?

[quote name='fairyland']Just got back. There was actually 5 people dressed up and probably 15 to 20 anime fans. Take a look:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Tsubasa_Kurenai/DSCF2527.jpg?t=1201473844

Sadly I arrived there late and the anime was either too high or just too expensive for my blood, as the Starland and Right Stuf sales spoiled me greatly. I bought two manga as a memento of the event.

Also, I stole a quiz so if you wanted to see what they had asked the people then look below. Sadly I don't like most of the series they asked about, so I only got 3 right and won a silly pin. Others won magazines and DVDs and whatever. My no life Otaku friend actually knew all the answers and pointed out that several was either trick questions or was not entirely correctly asked.

and
Where is it located?
10 - The villian known as Garma Zabi hails from what evil organization?[/quote]

I don't know any answers to the above questions. It serves me right for not watching enough anime. And it'll probably stay that way too. Backlogged anime is the way to go for me right now ;)

I can provide the answers (rather what my Otaku friend said was the answers), but I think it'll be more fun for people to quess for a while. LOL

[quote name='fairyland']Just got back. There was actually 5 people dressed up and probably 15 to 20 anime fans. Take a look:

and
Where is it located?
10 - The villian known as Garma Zabi hails from what evil organization?[/quote]
1- FL/CL?
2- No idea
3- I thought Spike.. but I'm not sure if he really died or if that was me catching a weird part of an episode.
4- 10 billion "double dollars"
5- I thought the 60s... maybe 70s?
6- spider on his back
7- Ragnarok?
8- SHIN CHAN!
9- ??
10- ??

Yea... Thats only going off the top of my head. I have a feeling only 2 of those are right.

[quote name='georox']1- FL/CL?
2- No idea
3- I thought Spike.. but I'm not sure if he really died or if that was me catching a weird part of an episode.
4- 10 billion "double dollars"
5- I thought the 60s... maybe 70s?
6- spider on his back
7- Ragnarok?
8- SHIN CHAN!
9- ??
10- ??

Yea... Thats only going off the top of my head. I have a feeling only 2 of those are right.[/QUOTE]

You're far better than I am!

3 is correct, but it's a trick question that my friend is upset about, as it depends on what version of the show you are watching or something like that. I've never watched it.

4, 7 and 8 are all correct. I felt stupid on #8 as I guessed BASTARD!...I've only read Crayon Shin Chan manga and never the horrid anime edition that is on TV.

5, you need to remember anime was almost all in black and white in the 60s, so it's definitely the 70s.

Hints,

1 - I don't know, my friend says this is trick/ bad question. I'm clueless.

2 - It's obviously an Evangelion quesiton. I hate the show, so I did not know it, but it's easy if you're a fan.

6 - we are wondering who they are thinking about...it could be a couple people...so the answer could vary.

9 - It's from an obscure anime that is a rip off Evangelion from the makers of Tenchi Muyo anime. I have the damn show and loved it, but I had forgotten about it as it's been a long time since I seen it. >.<

10 - I don't know this anime, but my friend does. It starts with a Z. My friend also says this is a trick question.

bread's done
Back