FYE false advertising? What do you think?

Cry Havoc

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I got an ad in the mail from FYE a few days ago. It advertised what I thought was an awesome deal.

"All used CDs, DVDs, & Games
$7.99 or 3 for $20
Mix & Match"

There is no small print anywhere qualifying what games are eligible.

FYE is close enough for me to walk to, so I drove there because I'm lazy. I grabbed 5 games that I wanted right away, but before I went searching for a 6th, and possibly more, I wanted to ask someone if there was a limit on the "3 for $20" deal. There is some small print that says they can limit quantities, and I didn't want to get to the check out only to be forced to choose only 3 games.

The floor person didn't know and got a manager. The manager stated that the ad refers to a bunch of games, cds, and dvds in bins that are marked $7.99 (all crap obviously). A discussion followed where I pointed out that that is not what the ad says. It doesn't say that "some" games or "many" games are $7.99, and it doesn't say that all games that are $7.99 are also 3 for $20. It says that ALL used games are that price. Again, there is no fine print to qualify which games. The ad says "All."

He actually agreed with me and apologized for it, but still denied me. I put the games on the magazine rack, kicked it over, threw a few handfuls of glitter, and left.

So what do you think? Worth complaining to some higher-ups about? Unless there is some loophole through, "we can limit quantities," I think it's false advertising, and I would like to get the games they said I could get at that price. Then again, I don't want to bother the higher-ups if I'm being a baby.

What say ye?

Ah, I hated working in retail because of people like you. Sure the advertisement may seem misleading but it clearly does say $7.99 or 3 for $20. There's definitely price points on games and movies, and it's not the company's fault that you have misunderstood the sale. This reminds me of an example of when I used to work at a Game Crazy and sales papers showed us having the Wii, then I would get whining customers who throw tantrums (i.e. see people who kick things over and throw glitter.), simply because we were sold out due to it being a hot commodity for the Christmas time. You can rant on and email companies because you couldn't get the deal you wanted due to your misinterpretation but I promise you, all you will get is a block formated e-mail apologizing for the inconvienance. Now I personally think you acted a bit childish by kicking things and throwing things, too bad no one went to your place of employment and did the same thing.

Hard to tell without a scan. It's likely a matter of bad wording, though.

EDIT: Scan added. Looks like it's a sale on all used items, all right. Have you tried different FYEs? Some might honor the ad as written.

[quote name='Beast9287']Ah, I hated working in retail because of people like you. Sure the advertisement may seem misleading but it clearly does say $7.99 or 3 for $20. There's definitely price points on games and movies, and it's not the company's fault that you have misunderstood the sale. This reminds me of an example of when I used to work at a Game Crazy and sales papers showed us having the Wii, then I would get whining customers who throw tantrums (i.e. see people who kick things over and throw glitter.), simply because we were sold out due to it being a hot commodity for the Christmas time. You can rant on and email companies because you couldn't get the deal you wanted due to your misinterpretation but I promise you, all you will get is a block formated e-mail apologizing for the inconvienance. Now I personally think you acted a bit childish by kicking things and throwing things, too bad no one went to your place of employment and did the same thing.[/quote]

:lol:Jesus Christ, I didn't actually knock crap over and throw glitter. It's a recurring joke seen on this site, although usually it "happens" at Gamestop. Stick around a bit, maybe you'll learn something. As it happened, the conversation with the manager went something like this:

Me: Hi. I just wanted to know if there's a limit on the 3 for $20 deal.
Him: *looks at the games I have* Oh, actually the sale isn't on all used games. *leads me to the bins I mentioned* It's only on these games that are marked $7.99
Me: Really? Because the ad states that "All" used games are $7.99 or 3 for $20. I figured there might be some catch, but there's no fine print or anything that says otherwise.
Him: Yeah, it's just these games.
Me: Well, you guys obviously meant one thing but didn't advertise that. So you're telling me you won't honor this ad?
Him: I'm sorry, but it's only for games already marked $7.99.
Me: Darn, you really got my hopes up. Well, ok. Thanks.

And I don't believe I misunderstood that ad. If you think I did I'd be interested in you explaining it, because like I said I'm not into bothering people just because I think I'm right. I only want to do it if I am right.

If I were you I would be pissed. That is false advertising, "All used CDs, DVDs, & Games
$7.99 or 3 for $20 Mix & Match" Unless it said "Select used CDs, DVDs, & Games $7.99 or 3 for $20" the so called 'sale' was very misleading. I would've definitely complained about the manager. He should have honored their mistake.

[quote name='evilmrhenry']Hard to tell without a scan. It's likely a matter of bad wording, though.[/quote]

Sorry, no scanner. I guess I could take a picture and see how that works.

Edit: Added pic to OP.

I would file a complaint with the BBB or check your local state laws to see what constitutes false advertising in your state and if this would fall under that. If you are really pissed and want to put some effort into it I would also contact local news media, since they love stories like this.

Also see www.consumerist.com for complaint techniques, I would also recommend submitting this to their site. Again, only if you care enough to make the effort.

Could it be that the manager was just being a dick and that the sale was really going on, I would have had them at least scan 3 games to see if they would come up 3 for 20.

But thanks for warning us that any sale advertised from FYE is YMMV at best.

That add is badly worded. I don't think you would get anywhere from complaining to higher ups, but you are right. The wording you assume is logical and they are at fault for terrible wording.

I agree with you, but you didn't expect to get used copies of new releases and stuff for $8 each, did you? Seems too good to be true. However, ALL should mean everything....

[quote name='Beast9287']Ah, I hated working in retail because of people like you. Sure the advertisement may seem misleading but it clearly does say $7.99 or 3 for $20.[/QUOTE]

Yeah? And? After looking at the pic I would assume all used CDs, DVDs, and games were $7.99. If they were trying to say "All used CDs, DVDs, and games priced at $7.99 are three for $20" they should have worded it as such. I doubt they would have dragged anyone into the store if they had said that though.

[quote name='help1']I agree with you, but you didn't expect to get used copies of new releases and stuff for $8 each, did you? Seems too good to be true. However, ALL should mean everything....[/QUOTE]
Blockbuster did that three years ago.

FYE must of forgot to have that looked over before going to press. Either they need to have an ad correction in store informing people that its only on select titles or honor the wording.

You know, I just went to FYE today and I saw the ads around the store. Maybe I just interpreted it as used games and CDs listed at $7.99 3 for 20. Either way, they never have any good used games. Although the do have an ad "Buy a used DVD, get one free" or something like that, but the free DVD has to be taken out of a bin of used DVDs.

Reminds me of the "deal" I saw at Blockbuster today. All used DVD's $3.99 or less, 5 for $20. Yeah you'd actually lose money with that deal

[quote name='YoshiFan1']Reminds me of the "deal" I saw at Blockbuster today. All used DVD's $3.99 or less, 5 for $20. Yeah you'd actually lose money with that deal[/quote]

Actually, to BBV you're probably just 'breaking even' with that 'deal', since what's .05 really? It's not a deal, really, but then again BBV never has many which are GOOD(minus that buy 2 get one game free sale where a glitch would allow the most expensive game to be free).

Oh and OP, I noticed a bunch of fuzzy writing at the bottom of that ad flyer you posted a pic of. I'd definitely suggest reading that writing before trying to cause a stink, since it probably lists the exclusions to the sales on the flyer there. Though, I will admit that I'm shocked I didn't see an asterisk after the sale headline on that coupon, which typically directs you to the exclusions section which is somewhere else on the flyer itself.

As for The Consumerist, I've been on that site and it's usually a bunch of whiny soccer moms bitching about how while they were on their cell phone at Best Buy they weren't waited on hand and foot and treated like the self deluded queens they think they are. I usually only go there for the laughs I get from all of the idiots posting their 'woe is me' tales, since most of them fall into the 'if I were behind you in line and you pulled that shit, I'd smack ya' catergory.

The code in the system is 3 $7.99 games for $20. The ads are very misleading. I know most of the people at the local FYE and they said they get at least 15 people a day bringing up 3 $50 games and expecting to get all 3 for $20 total.

I feel for them. Its not the employee's fault, its Transworld's idiotic promotion. I hope someone loses a job, but know Transworld's intelligence, they'll give the guy a raise.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Actually, to BBV you're probably just 'breaking even' with that 'deal', since what's .05 really? [/quote]

He means that if you buy 5 $1.99 movies, rather than $9.95, it'll cost $20.

You were right about the ad but kicking something down that you don't own is going too far. It's fine if you want to complain but don't mess with property.

I had the same thing happen to me with coupons from Subways. The cashier tells me something else so I decide to walk out without the sandwiches.

Mike, these kinds of ad errors are actually pretty common. The trick to taking full advantage of them is not to argue with the original store over it, but to see which of their competitors are willing to match the price/deal in their own store.

Having the physical coupon in hand is a big credit to your credibility when you try to negotiate with the other stores, but admittedly, it is a bit ambiguous, and I don't know how many chain stores actually consider FYE a competitor, but it's worth trying at your local Wal-Mart, Best Buy, or Circuit City.

Just to give you two examples of my own attempts:

"Buy 1 $20 XBox Live Accessory, Get 1 Free" - Circuit City ran this deal in their ad, but was meant to be for those who bought a 360, and they forgot to mention it. Although CC ran out of the 1600 Live Marketplace Point Cards I wanted, I took the ad to Best Buy and bought 6 for $60.

"Avatar: Book 2: Earth, Chapter 3 - $14.99" - Best Buy ran this deal in their ad, but mistakenly put a picture of the Entire Book 1 DVD Box Set (Retails at $55). Best Buy had already put a correction notice up in the DVD section of their store, but Wal-Mart price matched me without issue.

Take the ad and shop around, you never know which store might take you up on it.

~HotShotX

[quote name='Bezerker']The code in the system is 3 $7.99 games for $20. The ads are very misleading. I know most of the people at the local FYE and they said they get at least 15 people a day bringing up 3 $50 games and expecting to get all 3 for $20 total.

I feel for them. Its not the employee's fault, its Transworld's idiotic promotion. I hope someone loses a job, but know Transworld's intelligence, they'll give the guy a raise.

He means that if you buy 5 $1.99 movies, rather than $9.95, it'll cost $20.[/quote]

Wait....BBV has $1.99 movies that aren't 25 years old, on betamax? Seriously? I NEVER see a movie UNDER maybe $3 there, EVER.

But, I definitely understand how you'd be losing $$$ if you did take all $2 movies. I just make sure that when they have these 'buy so many for xyz amount' that I buy games/movies/music that are at the same level across the board and covered by their sale.

I know one of the FYE's around here had a 'buy 3 games for $20' deal the one time and I made sure I read and re-read the ad about 20 times, to make sure I'd be getting my moneys worth with the deal.

FYE screws up quite often. I bought a few games, because of the in-store signs pointing to a rebate. Turned out, the employees didn't take the signs down after the rebate period ended. Since, there was no date on the signs, and only a generic rebate form was given by the sales clerk, I didn't find out I was ineligible until I got a notice from corporate 6 weeks later.

Or, I could point to the San Fernando, CA store closing down, and sending their pre-orders to corporate, who now has no record of my pre-orders. I have two receipts, but the next-closest store won't honor them.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']Reminds me of the "deal" I saw at Blockbuster today. All used DVD's $3.99 or less, 5 for $20. Yeah you'd actually lose money with that deal[/quote]

Reminds me of this sign I found at Dick's Pawn Shop in Myrtle Beach SC

tn_dicks_pawn.jpg

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']FYE screws up quite often. I bought a few games, because of the in-store signs pointing to a rebate. Turned out, the employees didn't take the signs down after the rebate period ended. [/quote]
This happened to me once, but the employee actually knew the rebate expired and just took the $ directly off the price. It was pretty nice.

As for the OP, the ad is badly worded. I don't think you can realistically expect 360 games for $7.99. Hotshot is right about this being the sort of thing that would make a great price match, but the fact that it says "used" is going to limit where you can use it.

[quote name='Beast9287']Ah, I hated working in retail because of people like you. Sure the advertisement may seem misleading but it clearly does say $7.99 or 3 for $20. There's definitely price points on games and movies, and it's not the company's fault that you have misunderstood the sale. This reminds me of an example of when I used to work at a Game Crazy and sales papers showed us having the Wii, then I would get whining customers who throw tantrums (i.e. see people who kick things over and throw glitter.), simply because we were sold out due to it being a hot commodity for the Christmas time. You can rant on and email companies because you couldn't get the deal you wanted due to your misinterpretation but I promise you, all you will get is a block formated e-mail apologizing for the inconvienance. Now I personally think you acted a bit childish by kicking things and throwing things, too bad no one went to your place of employment and did the same thing.[/quote]

And I hate numb skulls like you who have no moral code.

Horrido, your kind words is what truly makes retail jobs so great. Just to see people like you rant off on the internet and bitch and moan, it truly puts a smile on my face. :)

[quote name='evilmrhenry']Have you tried different FYEs? Some might honor the ad as written.[/quote]

There's only one other FYE near here, and they don't carry games.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
Oh and OP, I noticed a bunch of fuzzy writing at the bottom of that ad flyer you posted a pic of. I'd definitely suggest reading that writing before trying to cause a stink, since it probably lists the exclusions to the sales on the flyer there. Though, I will admit that I'm shocked I didn't see an asterisk after the sale headline on that coupon, which typically directs you to the exclusions section which is somewhere else on the flyer itself.[/quote]

Yeah, I made sure to read all that. There is an asterisk below, but it refers to trade-in restrictions, so far as I can tell. Nothing about the 3 for $20. I added a scan to the OP so that all the fine print is visible.

[quote name='HotShotX']Mike, these kinds of ad errors are actually pretty common. The trick to taking full advantage of them is not to argue with the original store over it, but to see which of their competitors are willing to match the price/deal in their own store.[/quote]

That's a good idea, I never thought of that. Although as someone else mentioned, since that ad is for used games my options are limited. I guess I could've tried to see if CC would PM it, assuming they had any decent used games, which they usually don't. I'll keep that in mind in case this or something similar happens again.

[quote name='Hostile']You were right about the ad but kicking something down that you don't own is going too far. It's fine if you want to complain but don't mess with property.[/quote]

Your answer to this is on post #4.

I'm actually a bit surprised there are that many people that disagree with me. However, more agree with me than disagree so I'll fire off an email to a few VIPs at FYE. If nothing else, it'll give me a little practice for my business writing class I'm in right now. Who knows, maybe I'll be able to use the email in an assignment sometime.

complaing wont do a thing. My cousin ordered a lot of the box sets around thanksgiving

BUY 1 get 1 free. got 10 dvd box sets so 5 buy and 5 for free

Well the SOB cancelled 4 of the 5 Free box sets BUT still had the balls to charged them for the 4 Paid for box sets

Cousin Disputed the charges and send the items back to the company. Package came back a few days later and the mail man said the company refused pacakge. credit card company told them to keep them and dont pay the bill and they didnt

#$#$#$ FYE

They sent in 25 emails and 5 written letters and never heard a thing from anyone

[quote name='Access_Denied']The ad clearly states, ALL games, so I'd complain. It's their fault that their ad team sucks.[/QUOTE]

Bingo. It's not like they posted something indicating their error and apologizing...

I always like to dig this one up when referring to price mistakes, but the consumer comments here make some of the CAG stuff when "steals" don't pan out seem awesome: http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/2005-11-14-expedia-error_x.htm

Yes, I will never shop Expedia again! They wouldn't honor the 5* hotel in Japan for 7 nights for $40! BOO!

--- as an aside, FYE still hasn't refunded me for an item I canceled late last year so I don't exactly look upon their practices positively.

At this point I would just agree to disagree with FYE. The ad is absolutely, positively, misleading because it is phrased weird and wrong, but what the employee said/showed to you with the games in the bin marked at $7.99 was correct. It's frustrating I know, but a retail chain isn't going to give you 3 $50 games for $20.

So basically, the ad is not "false advertising" because it is worded funny, but it is misleading. You can certainly complain to someone higher up in the company, but they will probably give you a coupon for 10% off or something instead. Don't expect this "deal" to be honored unless the employees are dumb.

Honestly, the people who wrote the ad should be fired, that's for sure.

That article is imo stupid. People KNEW when they booked that, that they were getting like 99 percent off. Then they complained when the company said they were sorry. Jesus people, if you get in on a pricing mistake then all the power to you, but to get mad at a company for not possibly "Going out of business", because of something like this is insane. This sale is relatively small compared to expedia, but still not something you should complain about. It was a misprint, people make mistakes, try being a bit more compassionate on stuff like this.

Many of these people are assholes, until it happens to them. I just wish for one day, everyone who bitches, rants and has a bloody vagina through the internet would get the same customers that they are. They will then probably make another forum rant on it.

It was obviously a misprint. They aren't going to give you newer used games for that big of a discount. That's simply common sense. And stores all reserve the right to not honor what is printed in ads and such. As others have said, if you get a store to honor an obvious error, good for you, but putting up a big stink is another story.

You're a bitch, but you're still right. All means all. It's as simple as that. Personally I'd call and threaten litigation. That tends to get people's attention.

Give them a call, hell call your lawyers while you're at it and claim that since they didn't honor this coupon it has caused emotional damage to you and because of that you had to divorce your wife and become an alcoholic. On a serious note, no one really complains on the forum here of any other misprint. When I used to work at Game Crazy (about last month), we had a regular flyer up, as it showed Gran Turismo 4, the idiots at the corporate office put "Also on Xbox 360". Now tell me, with a misprint like that, no one whined and moaned here, but yet no one tends to read the fine print...and they have all hell break loose? Interesting, isn't it? And I'll be working at FYE soon, so I truly can't wait to see this coupon. :)

[quote name='Beast9287']Give them a call, hell call your lawyers while you're at it and claim that since they didn't honor this coupon it has caused emotional damage to you and because of that you had to divorce your wife and become an alcoholic. On a serious note, no one really complains on the forum here of any other misprint. When I used to work at Game Crazy (about last month), we had a regular flyer up, as it showed Gran Turismo 4, the idiots at the corporate office put "Also on Xbox 360". Now tell me, with a misprint like that, no one whined and moaned here, but yet no one tends to read the fine print...and they have all hell break loose? Interesting, isn't it? And I'll be working at FYE soon, so I truly can't wait to see this coupon. :)[/quote]

Are all these asshole comments directed at me? If so, you are seriously overreacting. I haven't ranted and raved. I haven't bitched about it. I told what happened and asked what everyone thought. Many, including you, have disagreed with me. That's fine. That's what I made this thread for-- to get differing opinions, not to rally the masses behind me.

I can chuckle and look the other way when you throw a fit about my knocking over magazine racks, because evidently you didn't know the background of the joke. But now you're just being a fuckwad.

I never claimed this had any huge damaging effect on me, because it didn't. I pointed out that the FYE is within walking distance, so it wasn't a huge waste of time. I chose to drive, so any waste of gas is my fault for driving instead of walking.

So do me a favor and cut the shit. I spent about a minute with a manager trying to convince him to honor the ad as printed. Even though HE AGREED WITH MY INTERPRETATION and was genuinely sorry, he said he couldn't do anything. It was a normal conversation. I know better than to throw a hissy fit when I don't get my way. However, I also know better than to just lie down and take it up the ass if I feel a corporation is trying to pull a fast one on me.

Was it really bad enough to complain to those responsible? I don't know, that's why I made this thread. It seems the vote is pretty even, but I have a slight edge, so I'll shoot off an email asking them to correct the situation. Will anything happen? Who knows, but either way I'll feel better for 1)knowing I'm not blowing it completely out of proportion, as others seem to agree with my point of view and 2)doing something about it, although it may be small.

I'm not out to get the manager's head. It's not his fault the ad is printed that way, he was doing his job. If I complain to corporate, I'm not going to mention his name except to say that he handled the situation well. He didn't just give me the finger and walk away. He apologized about the ad and showed me the correct games.

I'm not mad at the employees. Hell, I'm not mad at all. I'm not putting up a "big stink" as someone else said. It's not that big of a deal.

So quit blowing my actions and intentions out of proportion and making me out to be some guy who was and is ranting and raving about his rights.

To sum up, I'm not whining. I'm trying to discuss. Feel free to disagree with me. Just don't be a fucking moron when you do it.

P.S. If you really do want to see the ad (it's not a coupon) you can find it in the OP. If you're just saying that to be an ass, then fuck off.

[quote name='mikej012']Are all these asshole comments directed at me? If so, you are seriously overreacting. I haven't ranted and raved. I haven't bitched about it. I told what happened and asked what everyone thought. Many, including you, have disagreed with me. That's fine. That's what I made this thread for-- to get differing opinions, not to rally the masses behind me.

I can chuckle and look the other way when you throw a fit about my knocking over magazine racks, because evidently you didn't know the background of the joke. But now you're just being a fuckwad.

I never claimed this had any huge damaging effect on me, because it didn't. I pointed out that the FYE is within walking distance, so it wasn't a huge waste of time. I chose to drive, so any waste of gas is my fault for driving instead of walking.

So do me a favor and cut the shit. I spent about a minute with a manager trying to convince him to honor the ad as printed. Even though HE AGREED WITH MY INTERPRETATION and was genuinely sorry, he said he couldn't do anything. It was a normal conversation. I know better than to throw a hissy fit when I don't get my way. However, I also know better than to just lie down and take it up the ass if I feel a corporation is trying to pull a fast one on me.

Was it really bad enough to complain to those responsible? I don't know, that's why I made this thread. It seems the vote is pretty even, but I have a slight edge, so I'll shoot off an email asking them to correct the situation. Will anything happen? Who knows, but either way I'll feel better for 1)knowing I'm not blowing it completely out of proportion, as others seem to agree with my point of view and 2)doing something about it, although it may be small.

I'm not out to get the manager's head. It's not his fault the ad is printed that way, he was doing his job. If I complain to corporate, I'm not going to mention his name except to say that he handled the situation well. He didn't just give me the finger and walk away. He apologized about the ad and showed me the correct games.

I'm not mad at the employees. Hell, I'm not mad at all. I'm not putting up a "big stink" as someone else said. It's not that big of a deal.

So quit blowing my actions and intentions out of proportion and making me out to be some guy who was and is ranting and raving about his rights.

To sum up, I'm not whining. I'm trying to discuss. Feel free to disagree with me. Just don't be a fucking moron when you do it.

P.S. If you really do want to see the ad (it's not a coupon) you can find it in the OP. If you're just saying that to be an ass, then fuck off.[/quote]

That was actually toward Mietha, but nice rant there for an effortless reason. :applause:

[quote name='Beast9287']That was actually toward Mietha, but nice rant there for an effortless reason. :applause:[/quote]

Effortless reason? And thank you. I suppose I'll put it up there with your rant about how you hate shitty customers like me knocking over magazine racks.

[quote name='hhhdx4']everyone here is going crazy.[/QUOTE]

No, just some douchebag new poster who can't seem to grasp inside jokes, and takes everything at face value.

[quote name='mikej012']Effortless reason? And thank you. I suppose I'll put it up there with your rant about how you hate shitty customers like me knocking over magazine racks.[/quote]

If you wish to throw a tantrum and blog about it, continue to do so. It will just make you look like an ass, and create comic relief. Thank you. :lol:

*sigh*

I guess I can't explain or clarify my side without someone considering it a mindless rant. You win. I can't compete with you. Afterall, even trying would be for an "effortless reason."

Stay in school, kiddo.

Actually you should know that the rant I was speaking of wasn't yours previously but you implicated it was. So due to you not understanding when I told you the first time, it seems you need the schooling. :)

"I guess I can't explain"--a.k.a. my original post, post #1, the OP

"or clarify"---a.k.a. my long-winded follow up for an "effortless reason"

I covered both because I wasn't sure. Shall we continue?

[quote name='mikej012']*sigh*

I guess I can't explain or clarify my side without someone considering it a mindless rant. You win. I can't compete with you. Afterall, even trying would be for an "effortless reason."

Stay in school, kiddo.[/quote]

Follow your own advice, junior. ;)

It's not the store manager's fault, it's corporate. The ad is misleading and you could write a letter to FYE corporate about it, but to take it out on the store level is placing blame in the wrong place.

Misleading for sure. They just want to get a few confused customers to come in looking for the deal and then have it denied.

"Well im already here, might as well pick up ____"

bread's done
Back