FYE in Astoria, NY closing down - modest sale so far

superdry

CAGiversary!
So, I went into FYE a few days ago to trade in a few games and the clerk told me that the store isn't take any trades because they are closing down.

The store is currently having a 20% off all games (excluding Wii titles), and 10% off DVDs and CDs. The sign stated on the lowest sticker price and didn't exclude used games too. So, 20% off for games isn't too bad of a deal.

This is for the FYE on Steinway street between Broadway and 31st Ave in Astoria, NY.

The store updated the sign. Games, excluding Wii titles, are 30% off.

Unfortunately, DVDs are still only at 10% off.

Funny, I had a feeling they were going to close when I saw the sales announcing space for rent. I will have to check it out this weekend. Sigh.

Hey, does anyone know if they are participating in any of the sales? For example, the Buffy seasons for 16.99 sale?

Just a heads up, DVD's are now 20% off, and games are 30% off. Picked up Ratchet and Clank for 42, Buffy Season 1 for 16, and Angel Season 5 for 16.

If you can find something you want, the sale is not bad (new that is). Otherwise, it's a whole lot of garbage. Used games are not part of the sale, but are buy 2 get 1 free. Unfortunately their prices are so inflated that it's hardly a sale at all (even with the B2G1).

oohhh I might have to make a stop there, just hate the parking around that area.........any PS3 or 360 games left?

[quote name='kleptoix']oohhh I might have to make a stop there, just hate the parking around that area.........any PS3 or 360 games left?[/QUOTE]

When I was there on Thursday there was a decent amount left. I got the last copy of Ratchet and Clank. I might go back this week, see if they have dropped prices/increased discounts any.

Oh yea, there were lots of games left. Anything good, I don't know. They did have copies of some psp games I want (hopefully they're still there after my CC clears this week).

I did pick up some anime dvds for cheap yesterday. I liked the fact that the store was doing sales and the clearance % off sale stacked.

FYI...one of the clerks told me that the store is closing on the 17th. Maybe next week the sale might even be better considering the store is still pretty much stocked. I have feeling FYE might open up somewhere else around Broadway and Steinway (one of the managers a month back actually mentioned that to me that if the current location closes...there are other spots to reopen).

[quote name='superdry']Oh yea, there were lots of games left. Anything good, I don't know. They did have copies of some psp games I want (hopefully they're still there after my CC clears this week).

I did pick up some anime dvds for cheap yesterday. I liked the fact that the store was doing sales and the clearance % off sale stacked.

FYI...one of the clerks told me that the store is closing on the 17th. Maybe next week the sale might even be better considering the store is still pretty much stocked. I have feeling FYE might open up somewhere else around Broadway and Steinway (one of the managers a month back actually mentioned that to me that if the current location closes...there are other spots to reopen).[/QUOTE]

I may have to go back this week, and see if they are going to discount Wii games, or discount other games any further.

damn i just drove by steinway too and totally forgot about fye. will try to remember tomorrow. I want Bioshock for 360 and thats about it.

Just a heads up, games are at 40% now. Someone beat me to the punch today of purchasing the 360 points cards at that price, but I did pick up a 3 month live Card for 12 bucks, in case I cant find a 1 year sub for cheap before mine runs out. Still no wii sales though.

Nice. Definitely time to pick up some PSP games I want if they are still there. What I hate about the store though is the fact that the DS games are behind the counter so it's hard to browse through them.

Are DVDs still at 20% off though?

[quote name='superdry']Nice. Definitely time to pick up some PSP games I want if they are still there. What I hate about the store though is the fact that the DS games are behind the counter so it's hard to browse through them.

Are DVDs still at 20% off though?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, and Blu-Ray and HD-DVD titles are still excluded.

Finally stopped by, picked up Bioshock, Mass Effect and Ghost Recon 2 for just over $100, games are now 40% off but Wii games are still excluded. Really wanted a PS3 game but there was nothing worth getting. Maybe orange box, thats it.

[quote name='kleptoix']Finally stopped by, picked up Bioshock, Mass Effect and Ghost Recon 2 for just over $100, games are now 40% off but Wii games are still excluded. Really wanted a PS3 game but there was nothing worth getting. Maybe orange box, thats it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it sucks that Wii games are excluded. I believe they are closing tomorrow, but I've picked up everything I wanted from them(Ratchet and Clank, Angel Season 5, Buffy Season 1, Bruce Springsteen Live CD, a hard plastic shell case for my Ipod, and my 3 month Xbox Live sub card). If it wasnt so cold/20 minute walk home, I'd go today and take another look at the games, but at this point, its not worth it to me. I have too many games as is. I still have an unopened Uncharted from Christmas, and an unopened Metroid Prime 3 from September.

are they closing tomorrow? But they still have so much crap! damn, maybe I'll swing by later today one more time before I head out for dinner, only PS3 game I would want is R&C but I dont recall seeing it. Oh well. The DVDs are still pretty expensive too. Are they just relocating the merchandise to other stores?

I went yesterday, and did not see any further discounts. They must be moving that merchandise elsewhere. They still have tons of stuff, and their horrible inflated prices on Used games are not worth it. They even ruined it further by making it by 3 get 1 free. 2 weeks ago, it was buy 2 get 1 free.

I don't quite understand their logic.

[quote name='kleptoix']are they closing tomorrow? But they still have so much crap! damn, maybe I'll swing by later today one more time before I head out for dinner, only PS3 game I would want is R&C but I dont recall seeing it. Oh well. The DVDs are still pretty expensive too. Are they just relocating the merchandise to other stores?[/QUOTE]

I suspect that the merchandise will be moved to Jackson Heights. I picked up the last R&C 2 weeks ago, when it was 30% off. I was hoping games would get to 50% off, so I could pick up Madden, but no dice. The DVD's are still pretty pricey, and 20% off isnt worth it for most of them.

Damn. Forgot all bout this ... Anyone know if by "Closing on the 17th" they mean "at the end of the day on the 17th" or "instead of opening, we're packing up and shipping out"?

bread's done
Back