FYE is ticking me off

Antwaan12

CAG Veteran
I preordered a copy of zelda: 4 swords there and my game still hasnt come in. Also when i was in there today I decided i'd buy a network adapter for my ps2. Well, i have some old cds i was gonna trade in so i wip them out to see how much i'll get to go towards my network adapter. So the guy starts ringing the cds up and then hes like, wait, how old are you? So i go, well, im 17 why? So he tells me that i have to be 18 or with an adult to trade in cds. I could trade in my games there but not cds unless im with my parents- How stupid is this... what the hell kind of store policy is that?

well, should i stick with trading my cds and games in with Ebgames or should i still go with Fye and just bring my freakin dad with me...? which place has the best deals?

[quote name='skittlez jr.']I wish I had an FYE near me since they have so many great MIR deals.[/quote]

only downside to the MIR deals is they have another company deal with them and blame all problems on that company, it's rare but when it happens it's annoying, not big enough reason to stop going there though.

[quote name='Antwaan12']So the guy starts ringing the cds up and then hes like, wait, how old are you? So i go, well, im 17 why? So he tells me that i have to be 18 or with an adult to trade in cds. I could trade in my games there but not cds unless im with my parents- How stupid is this... what the hell kind of store policy is that?[/quote]

This isn't store policy, it's the law. Minors cannot make contracts.

[quote name='Antwaan12']i dont understand that

then why can i trade in my cds at ebgames though?[/quote]

Easy, they dont care. Its wierd. Sometimes, the law states that minors cant trade for cash, but can trade for credit. But one town over, minors cannot trade at all. EB would loose too much money if they made parents come in (and parents complain about trade values when they come in), so as long as the law never comes in, they will do it. When the law comes in and says stop, they stop for a while, then when they lay low for a while, they start doing it again.

yea FYE/coconuts sucks. The only good thing about them is their MIR which still suck cause you gotta wait like 2-3 months to get it. You hardly ever can trade stuff in cause they get so many that in order for them to take it you gotta call like 3 days a head of time and still get there when they open. Plus their customer service sucks....90% of the poeple that work there are rude and ignorgant. I went to buy an X-Box there cause of the MIR and I stood around for like 20 mins before they finally decided to tell me that were all out. How do you not know how many X-boxs you have in stock??? Its not like its a specific CD or something like that....its a damn X-Box....and plus......they still had tons of signs advertising the deal!!! I mean no offense to any employees of FYE/Coconuts.....I've just had some bad experiences there.

[quote name='ElwoodCuse'][quote name='Antwaan12']So the guy starts ringing the cds up and then hes like, wait, how old are you? So i go, well, im 17 why? So he tells me that i have to be 18 or with an adult to trade in cds. I could trade in my games there but not cds unless im with my parents- How stupid is this... what the hell kind of store policy is that?[/quote]

This isn't store policy, it's the law. Minors cannot make contracts.[/quote]

if they were following that they would never sell to a minor either.

Selling item isn't going into a contract with them. Most states/locales have pawn laws, that's what's referred to as the contract.

[quote name='Antwaan12']I preordered a copy of zelda: 4 swords there and my game still hasnt come in.[/quote]
Thats really bad. The game has been out for a few weeks.

[quote name='paz9x'][quote name='ElwoodCuse'][quote name='Antwaan12']So the guy starts ringing the cds up and then hes like, wait, how old are you? So i go, well, im 17 why? So he tells me that i have to be 18 or with an adult to trade in cds. I could trade in my games there but not cds unless im with my parents- How stupid is this... what the hell kind of store policy is that?[/quote]

This isn't store policy, it's the law. Minors cannot make contracts.[/quote]

if they were following that they would never sell to a minor either.[/quote]

I also do not trade or buy from those under 18. Its just bad policy. A parent can come a week later and demand the games back or you are liable for the cost of replacement. If a 12 year old has cash to buy a game then its assumed they are able to have that cash via a parent. Cash is meant to be spent. Games, items, and merchandise are actually owned by the parent of any minor and they are not to be used as a cash replacement.

[quote name='JAMMR']Selling item isn't going into a contract with them. Most states/locales have pawn laws, that's what's referred to as the contract.[/quote]
I can speak for california. a sale is a contract. a minor, contracts with a retailer to buy said game. a minor by law is incapable to form a valid contract. any contract formed by a minor is void.
that is why a car dealership will not sell a car to a minor even if he walks in the door with cash.
because a minor does not have the legal capacity to understand a contract.
its the law, not my opinion.

Isn't FYE, Coconuts and Wherehouse all the same?

If so, I sold like 18 CDs to Wherehouse for around $80? Pretty good, and they never told me about some kind of age requirement. Weird. I'm 17 btw

It depends on local law too. The EB near me just got cracked down on, and can't take any trades unless you produce a lisence or other picture ID with your address, etc. I asked about it, and it's a local law to the village of Johnson City, where the store is located, because we had a dealer of very ill repute for some years, who ruined it for everyone with his shady deals. He's incidentally relocated two towns over where they don't have special laws to deal with him. I also know this to be true because I work with JCPD often, and this dealer has come up in conversations with the detectives.

I think the stores just make it up. When I was with a friend before he tryed trading in a bunch of stuff and they said he had to be 18 but he could trade in a few items. I've also been asked to see my lisense when I was under 18 but they still took it. I'm 18 now though so I don't have to worry about it.

bread's done
Back