FYE Wii PreOrder Update - It's a Bundle?!

Ecofreak

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
Good grief - there are so many Wii threads I really wish we could have kept them all in one thread. But enough ranting.

I just got a call from FYE telling me that my Wii will be available Sunday (Woo!!!) Surprising news is that I have to buy additional two games to go w/ the system for a total of $349.99, which I had no prior information when I reserved it in April.

Did anyone else get a call and say you needed a bundle? I have two games reserved @ Gamestop so worse comes to worst I'll just return the FYE games a week or two later. No biggie.

FYE has forced bundles since the PSP release and even older systems sometimes require a bundle purchase so it was to be expected. 1 FYE I went to last year wouldn't even sell me an XBox 1 unless I bought it with 2 games and an extra controller (I went to a 2nd FYE who broke the policy and sold me just the system)

Last year, I pre-ordered an XBox 360 from FYE and got it on launch day without buying two games. But I was on good terms with the manager, so he might have left me off the hook. Unfortunately, he left the store and there's a new manager there now. So I'm guessing I'll have to buy the two games with my pre-ordered Wii system. No biggie. I planned on getting 2 to 4 games anyway.

Yeah Fye always has bundles , but 2 games is nothing. Obviously Zelda and I think you can pick one other.

You know, if they didn't tell you that there was going to be a bundle, then told you the only way you could get your Wii is in a bundle, I'd call the Better Business Bureau. That sounds like Bait and Switch.

[quote name='Bazz']Yeah Fye always has bundles , but 2 games is nothing. Obviously Zelda and I think you can pick one other.[/QUOTE]

Two Zeldas! Hide one in a pot!

I was talking to the manager of the FYE where my preorder is at today and she said it is to a) help with the tie rate and b) discourage e-bayers. She said the only people that ever get pissed off about buying 2 games are those whore going to flip it on e-bay and that sounds about right to me. Honestly, if you can't find 2 games that you want to buy you should either a) wait until there are games more in line with what you want or b) not turn around to e-bay it instantly you greedy bastard.

[quote name='oyabun']You know, if they didn't tell you that there was going to be a bundle, then told you the only way you could get your Wii is in a bundle, I'd call the Better Business Bureau. That sounds like Bait and Switch.[/quote]

They told me when I preordered in May that it would be in a bundle.

[quote name='Plinko']They told me when I preordered in May that it would be in a bundle.[/quote]

so glad I was able to get mine back on sept. 15 through amazon.com

[quote name='Tromack']I was talking to the manager of the FYE where my preorder is at today and she said it is to a) help with the tie rate and b) discourage e-bayers. She said the only people that ever get pissed off about buying 2 games are those whore going to flip it on e-bay and that sounds about right to me. Honestly, if you can't find 2 games that you want to buy you should either a) wait until there are games more in line with what you want or b) not turn around to e-bay it instantly you greedy bastard.[/QUOTE]

QFT. It's not like they're asking you to get 8 or more games like some bundles are.

[quote name='Tromack']I was talking to the manager of the FYE where my preorder is at today and she said it is to a) help with the tie rate and b) discourage e-bayers. She said the only people that ever get pissed off about buying 2 games are those whore going to flip it on e-bay and that sounds about right to me. Honestly, if you can't find 2 games that you want to buy you should either a) wait until there are games more in line with what you want or b) not turn around to e-bay it instantly you greedy bastard.[/QUOTE]

That's besides the point. If someone wanted to get the games cheaper elsewhere, they should be able to. If I'm not mistaken, other stores are having Wii game/accessory deals.

The point is this: If they didn't tell you when you pre-ordered it would be a bundle and they force you to take one, it's bait and switch. They advertised the product at one price to get you to the store, then change it.

They don't care about discouraging eBayers. They care about their attach rate.

[quote name='oyabun']You know, if they didn't tell you that there was going to be a bundle, then told you the only way you could get your Wii is in a bundle, I'd call the Better Business Bureau. That sounds like Bait and Switch.[/QUOTE]

Yes, and by the time the BBB sends letters to FYE's corporate headquarters, and they respond to the BBB, and the BBB gets back to you, the market will be flooded with Wiis and it won't matter.

Leave the BBB to deal with actual crooks. If you don't want a bundle, don't buy it. Move on.

[quote name='battleroyal33']so glad I was able to get mine back on sept. 15 through amazon.com[/QUOTE]
So am I, assuming the damn thing ships on time.

I didn't get a call today, but I called them, and the guy that answered the phone told me I'd have to probably just buy two games with the system. At least we know in advance...so I can just go get my accessories (extra controller at bestbuy or gamestop if they come in early.)

Finally with their return policy, I'll just return the game, especially since
Zelda will suck all the extra time I have.

[quote name='eshbums']Yes, and by the time the BBB sends letters to FYE's corporate headquarters, and they respond to the BBB, and the BBB gets back to you, the market will be flooded with Wiis and it won't matter.

Leave the BBB to deal with actual crooks. [/QUOTE]

Bait and switch is crooked. It's fraud.

If you don't want a bundle, don't buy it. Move on.

I'm not buying a FYE Bundle. People who preordered at FYE without knowing they'd be forced into a bundle should not be forced to buy the bundle in order to secure their Wii at FYE.

[quote name='oyabun']Bait and switch is crooked. It's fraud.

I'm not buying a FYE Bundle. People who preordered at FYE without knowing they'd be forced into a bundle should not be forced to buy the bundle in order to secure their Wii at FYE.[/QUOTE]

Ok, we get it you have a grudge against FYE and their "hidden" bundles. Now, go troll somewhere else.

I'm not buying a FYE Bundle. People who preordered at FYE without knowing they'd be forced into a bundle should not be forced to buy the bundle in order to secure their Wii at FYE.[/QUOTE]

I agree it's a horseshit move to not tell people that bundles would be required, but just bitch to their corporate office. Getting the BBB involved will not get you what you want.

yea, what they said is no lie, i was there today and i saw new posters saying you gotta buy two games, i believe on the poster was zelda and red steel, but im pretty sure it said your choice.

I wasn't told about this at my FYE, but if I did have to get two games it'd be Zelda... and, um.. honestly I'd much rather wait till Metal Slug Anthology, so if I could preorder that game and pay it in full, in lieu of buying another Wii game, I'd prefer that.

Anyone know how long it takes them to get the next way of Wii's? I'm number 13, and they're only getting 12 Wii's at launch. Ouch.

Wow, I can't believe there're a few of you so enraged about this. You knew FYE usually does some sort of bundle, and the word comes from their corporate office, not the individual stores. If you bitch, then complain about gamestop's ridiculous 700.+ bundles, but not about having to pick another game besides Zelda.

Yes, it's about the principle, but come on...you didn't even have to get up early to go to ToysRus to pre-order or wait inline at gamestop, or buy some ridiculous bundle online. Nope, you walked in a few months back at your leisure and your console will be waiting whenever you pick it up on Sunday. To me that's worth an extra 50 bucs (which is not even a loss, as you could return it at a later date)...

That's very illegal for them to do. You have absolutely no obligation to get 2 games with the system if you preordered the system only.

Woa woa woa - let's get one thing straight. I, for one, am not upset; just a little surprised because I did not know about this when I had originally reserved my Wii months ago. I plan on buy 4 games at launch so the required two is nothing to me.

It is, however, inconvenient because I already pre-ordered my games at a Gamestop so now I have to go and get a refund; which I know Gamestop hates doing.

Then throw in the possibility of maybe getting my Wii @ Costco instead due to the warranty and I really confuse myself. But that's my own fucking fault so go me! ;)

Well that sucks. The day I pre-ordered, the manager specifically told me there wasn't going to be a bundle. I wasn't planning on buying any other games, but I guess it isn't that bad. It's just the principle of the matter that bothers me.

I can't believe you people. Illegal? What law school did you go to? It's nice and simple. If you don't like it, get your $50 deposit back. BFD!!!

[quote name='Tromack']Ok, we get it you have a grudge against FYE and their "hidden" bundles. Now, go troll somewhere else.[/QUOTE]

Since when is helping other cheapass gamers trolling?

If the store they pre-ordered at didn't say there would be a bundle, they knew, and there's nothing to be done.

But if they weren't told and were going to visit, say, Rhino for their accessories. Or Meijer. Or if they did the GS/EB Zelda deal, then they are not obligated to buy the bundle. Whether or not they were going to buy 2 games is immaterial.

[quote name='dragonjud']
Wow, I can't believe there're a few of you so enraged about this. You knew FYE usually does some sort of bundle,[/QUOTE]

The FYE in downtown Chicago didn't mention this when they tried to get me to pre-order back in April. Same for the one in River Oaks in April.

and the word comes from their corporate office, not the individual stores.

Which is why I said to go to the BBB if a person is upset that they are being forced into a bundle. The BBB can straighten it out with corporate.

Why do you all think some folks at Best Buy lost their jobs for forcing 360 bundles?

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/2005/11/best_buys_respo.html

If you bitch, then complain about gamestop's ridiculous 700.+ bundles, but not about having to pick another game besides Zelda.

If you buy from Gamestop online, they tell you that you're getting a bundle. You go into that situation with your eyes wide open. And if someone wants to spend $700 on stuff so that they don't have to wait in line, then that's their perogative. But the person knew ahead of time, so they can't complain.

I sold my Wii FYE preorder on ebay a week ago for $450. Sucks they are forcing the bundle but good to know they are getting it at launch.

People have the right to be disappointed, irritated, pissed, etc., but if you think FYE did anything illegal with their NO RISK, MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE $50 deposit, you are clueless.

I just called my local FYE that I have my preorder at and they said they are only getting 5 Wiis in on launch. Luckily, I'm number 5! I asked about the bundle and she said that I was going to need to buy 2 games with it, but she "believes they come with it." Maybe she is thinking of Wii Sports, who knows, but I was going to be buying at least 2 games anyways.

[quote name='oyabun']Why do you all think some folks at Best Buy lost their jobs for forcing 360 bundles?

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/2005/11/best_buys_respo.html

[/QUOTE]

Because they went against a corporate policy and made their own huge bundles.

That's different from a chain-wide bundle.

Listen, I don't give a rat's ass if people have to buy pliers with their pre-order, that's up to the store. If the customer doesn't like it, pull your preorder money out and go somewhere else. My problem was your solution of just reporting this to the BBB. There is no way in hell it will get resolved in time to make any difference in this instance, and long term there will be no policy change. If someone really is against this, pull out your cash and buy nothing from them. Nothing makes a company move faster than fucking up their bottom line.

I called my FYE last night at Southpoint Mall in Durham, NC. They said they'd be able to cover all pre-orders, and there would be no bundle forced. Maybe it's from corporate but it's optional? I know it was the manager on the phone, so it seems like he would know.

He's making a point, and a valid one. If you weren't told you'd have to get a bundle, you shouldn't have to buy one. People calling him a troll and to stop complaining obviously have no problem with their consumer rights being trampled on. If you keep letting crap like this happen to you, and just accept it, it's going to keep happening (which is why console launches are in the pathetic state that they're in). Unless you're a tool who likes getting screwed-over, reporting incidents like this is a good idea, not to make your immediate situation any easier (takes time you know, and in fact, it's a minor inconvenience) but to report that these kind of abuses are being perpetrated. The FYE bundle is a whole lot less abusive than what other retailers are pulling, but that doesn't make it any less wrong. The thing is, is it even necessary (one like this certainly isn't)? I don't remember being forced to buy a Dreamcast bundle, but I walked out with three games and an extra controller. Same goes for any other console I've bought at launch.

[quote name='oyabun']You know, if they didn't tell you that there was going to be a bundle, then told you the only way you could get your Wii is in a bundle, I'd call the Better Business Bureau. That sounds like Bait and Switch.[/QUOTE]

I really wish people would stop saying "Bait and Switch" when they have no idea what it really means.

Bait and switch is advertising an item - then saying the item is out of stock and trying to sell a comparitive item in its stead. None of this is what is happening.

Bait and Switch would be advertising the Wii, then attempting to sell 360s instead. Which is what will happen when they legitimately run out of Wiis. The only way this scam is illegal is if you never actually had Wii units in the first place.

Has there been any mention of how long you have to come pick up your bundle after launch? Is it assumed if you don't come on launch day that they will sell it to the next guy? I have a preorder at FYE, but I can't pick the system up until December 3 as I'm out of the country ... any thoughts or knowledge on how this might go?

[quote name='nyprimus4']I sold my Wii FYE preorder on ebay a week ago for $450. Sucks they are forcing the bundle but good to know they are getting it at launch.[/quote]

Holy crap!!! $450 for a preorder!?!?!!!?!?!! Maybe the Wii will be worth something on ebay...

I got the call, actually a voicemail, and there was no mention of a bundle. Only that I was in the first wave and could come pick it up on Sunday and at the latest "the following Monday." I'm assuming from the terminology used that I have eight days from Sunday to pick it up. I doubt "the following Monday" meant one day later, but who knows.

[quote name='dragonjud']Wow, I can't believe there're a few of you so enraged about this. You knew FYE usually does some sort of bundle, and the word comes from their corporate office, not the individual stores. If you bitch, then complain about gamestop's ridiculous 700.+ bundles, but not about having to pick another game besides Zelda.

Yes, it's about the principle, but come on...you didn't even have to get up early to go to ToysRus to pre-order or wait inline at gamestop, or buy some ridiculous bundle online. Nope, you walked in a few months back at your leisure and your console will be waiting whenever you pick it up on Sunday. To me that's worth an extra 50 bucs (which is not even a loss, as you could return it at a later date)...[/quote]

Lol, so we have no right to bitch even when we werent informed when we pre-ordered? That is not legal for FYE to do buddy. Anyway I might just buy 2 games or take it furthur, but if FYE doesent get the two games I want then you'll know where this goes....

I wouldn't complain at all, bc my fye got 1 Wii. Thats right 1 Wii !

What about PS3's you say? How about....wait for it....0.

I got so screwed, and Im so mad. Oh well now im just gonna have to camp
at Sears.

[quote name='papalatistudios']I wouldn't complain at all, bc my fye got 1 Wii. Thats right 1 Wii !

at Sears.[/QUOTE]
Mine got 1 Wii, 0 PS3 as well. Good thing I was #1 on the Wii list. Actually I'm the only one on the Wii list (which scared me more than being 1 of 20, I was worried corporate would just decide to send none to this store since only 1 person had pre-ordered)

Confimed that I have a wii coming

was informed that you have to buy 2 games or 1 game & 1 controller

i can handle that

[quote name='papalatistudios']I wouldn't complain at all, bc my fye got 1 Wii. Thats right 1 Wii !

at Sears.[/quote]

I just called, and was told that they will have 6, but I think I'm number 7. The manager is waiting to have in the store before calling anyone. Not panicking really, but if I don't get a call by Saturday, I'll just go to a local store on Sunday morning.
The Wii situation reminds me more of the Dreamcast launch than the 360 or ps2 disasters...we'll see.

at Sears.[/quote]

OH YEAH!?!?!

I just got off the phone with the fuck ckers that work at my FYE. I was number one on their list but they won't even be getting mine in. EFF them:bomb: :bomb: :bomb: :bomb: :bomb: :bomb: !!!

THIS JUST IN: FYE SUCKS COMPLETE fuckING ASS AND I WILL NOT BE DEALING WITH THEIR LOUSY ASSES IN THE FUTURE. They only got 1 in stock at my store even though I was 2 on the list.

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller8884.html

Look at reseller ratings, 2.00 out of 10, thats an AWFUL rating, cant get much worse than that. fuck FYE!!

bread's done
Back