Gabriel Knight 3 - Better then the Davinci Code

Trancendental

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I don't know if anyone remembers this game, but in terms of story and presentation I found it to be much more enjoyable and superior to the phenominally cheesy "Davinci Code" book.

Granted the game has some problems being that it was one of the first 3d games with those clunky polygons and one or two of the puzzles don't make any sense, but overall the game is alot of fun, the story cut-scenes keep compelling you to move forward, the voice acting is top notch, and there are some genuine spooky adventure game style thrills.

I was just thinking about this because I noticed the Davinci Code has been sued for ripping off the book that Gabriel Knight 3 pays homage to, "The Holy Blood and The Holy Grail."

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/books/10/28/books.davincidispute.ap/index.html

"The Da Vinci Code" is crap. The ideas Dan Brown presents are semi-novel, but the writing is as hackneyed and formulaic as all the rest of his books. I read "Angels and Demons" and couldn't put it down. Then I read "Da Vinci Code" and thought, "Well, that was alright, but it was kind of the same." Then I read "Deception Point" and "Digital Fortress" and figured out the plot of each within the two chapters. Better to give money to an author with some talent.

[quote name='camoor']

I was just thinking about this because I noticed the Davinci Code has been sued for ripping off the book that Gabriel Knight 3 pays homage to, "The Holy Blood and The Holy Grail."

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/books/10/28/books.davincidispute.ap/index.html[/QUOTE]

It's about time they sued Dan Brown and co. IIRC they even mentioned that the two books had alot of similarities on some History channel special or something and that was like nearly a year ago. I just figured they wouldn't chance it after the other lawsuit failed. I don't know if they will win though, Brown's book just takes semi-historical events and twists them around whereas Holy Blood and the Holy Grail is apparently non-fcition. Guess it depends on the UK's copyright laws.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']/insert anti-pop culture thread #37965[/QUOTE]
Horrors! Heaven forfend someone actually have a single independent thought and dare to go against the grain, criticizing something everyone else loves!!! Where's a good old-fashioned totalitarian movement when you need one?

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']It's about time they sued Dan Brown and co. IIRC they even mentioned that the two books had alot of similarities on some History channel special or something and that was like nearly a year ago. I just figured they wouldn't chance it after the other lawsuit failed. I don't know if they will win though, Brown's book just takes semi-historical events and twists them around whereas Holy Blood and the Holy Grail is apparently non-fcition. Guess it depends on the UK's copyright laws.[/QUOTE]

Is the book non-fiction in the sense that books on "Big Foot" and ghosts are non-fiction? If so, I would think there is some grounds for suing. Especially because as I was playing GB3 I kept thinking "damn, this is too similar".

[quote name='RedvsBlue'] /insert anti-pop culture thread #37965[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure if this is directed at me, but I like many pop-culture phenoms. For example I enjoy Lost, Xenosaga, and Smallville, I just believe that an author/director/artist should credit his sources and have a modicum of respect for the audience's intelligence.

Please save this for the dude who always puts 'Halo' in the 'worst games evar' thread.

[quote name='Nirvanaguy777']I remeber that game, always wanted too pick it it and perhaps now I will.[/QUOTE]

I believe I have an extra copy!! Jewjl case only 4 discs I believe.

[quote name='RELmajor03']"The Da Vinci Code" is crap. The ideas Dan Brown presents are semi-novel, but the writing is as hackneyed and formulaic as all the rest of his books. I read "Angels and Demons" and couldn't put it down. Then I read "Da Vinci Code" and thought, "Well, that was alright, but it was kind of the same." Then I read "Deception Point" and "Digital Fortress" and figured out the plot of each within the two chapters. Better to give money to an author with some talent.[/QUOTE]
Bulls-eye. Granted, I haven't read any of his other books besides Angels and Demons (my friend saved me the trouble by telling me they were all worse :D) but your comments were right on the money. It was one of the most exciting, entertaining, and interesting books I've read. On the other hand, it feels like it was written by one of the guys they hire to write books based on video games. Also, you can tell Dan Brown is in love with Robert Langdon (main character), and wishes he could have his life, or at least fellate him. Whether it's true or not, I don't know, but I don't care. It's fiction.

And as for pop culture, I have nothing against it. Lost is one of my favorite shows, I really liked Garden State, and Maroon 5 is actually pretty good. But now I'm curious to play this game, because I really did enjoy the Da Vinci Code.

I loved the three Gabriel Knight games. I have the first one on my computer but the text goes by too quickly for me to read even on DOSBOX :whistle2:(

[quote name='m0nkeybl1tz']And as for pop culture, I have nothing against it. Lost is one of my favorite shows, I really liked Garden State, and Maroon 5 is actually pretty good. But now I'm curious to play this game, because I really did enjoy the Da Vinci Code.[/QUOTE]
Dude, I totally agree. Things become popular because people like them; I think Lost is awesome, and I still listen to my Maroon 5 album a couple of times a week (never seen Garden State, though). Just because someone says they don't like something everyone else likes doesn't make them a reactionary.

also, monkey, I just noticed you're from Oakland, CA, which happens to be my hometown. Coincidence? perhaps not.

[quote name='vietgurl']I loved the three Gabriel Knight games. I have the first one on my computer but the text goes by too quickly for me to read even on DOSBOX :whistle2:([/QUOTE]
Try it with VDMS; it worked for me for The Dig.

[quote name='m0nkeybl1tz']Bulls-eye. Granted, I haven't read any of his other books besides Angels and Demons (my friend saved me the trouble by telling me they were all worse :D) but your comments were right on the money. It was one of the most exciting, entertaining, and interesting books I've read. On the other hand, it feels like it was written by one of the guys they hire to write books based on video games. Also, you can tell Dan Brown is in love with Robert Langdon (main character), and wishes he could have his life, or at least fellate him. Whether it's true or not, I don't know, but I don't care. It's fiction.

And as for pop culture, I have nothing against it. Lost is one of my favorite shows, I really liked Garden State, and Maroon 5 is actually pretty good. But now I'm curious to play this game, because I really did enjoy the Da Vinci Code.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:nice.

i read angels and demons first, and then finished the rest of his books. RELmajor3 speaks the truth! :)

[quote name='vietgurl']I loved the three Gabriel Knight games. I have the first one on my computer but the text goes by too quickly for me to read even on DOSBOX :whistle2:([/QUOTE]

Why not get the speech version that came on CD?

Need a copy of it. I can burn it for you since you already own the original. Pm me

[quote name='camoor']Is the book non-fiction in the sense that books on "Big Foot" and ghosts are non-fiction? If so, I would think there is some grounds for suing. Especially because as I was playing GB3 I kept thinking "damn, this is too similar".[/quote]

Can't say it it's really actually non-fiction, personally I've never read their book (though i probably should sometime). But I know the authors insist that it's not a fly-by-night conspiracy theory and it's based on real research they did for like 10 years. So if they intend it to be historical fact (though my guess is most of that fact is speculation and overinterpretation), it's hard to put a copyright on history.

However, I do know people have been pointing out similarities between the two for sometime now and like I said it was even mentioned in one of those TV specials and I'm sure it's mentioned in alot of those Cracking the Da Vinci Code books that are now all over the place as well. Also I have no idea how the English do copyright laws so this should be an interesting thing to follow.

In regards to the pop culture comments near the top, I mean we are in an online community that's rooted in pop culture. We come here to mainly discuss things like video games, movies, etc. So 98% of the posts here will be talking about things we either like or don't like in pop culture, reports on pop culture, etc. If you don't fancy being around people commenting on it alot, I'd just stay in the deals forum.

bread's done
Back