Game Boy Micro for $25 @ WalMart (and as always, severe YMMV)

khaos2639

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I was just at a local Walmart here, and they had 5 Game Boy Micros for $25 each on clearance, I think it was the black and silver one.

I have a DS and an SP, is it even worth me picking one up? Like does it have any redeeming qualities or a decent resale value if I took them to a preplayed store????

[quote name='khaos2639']I have a DS and an SP, is it even worth me picking one up?[/QUOTE]
No.

I should probably expand on that some...you won't get the $25 back if you resell it to EB or GameStop, so it's not worth it for that. As far as using it, if you've got a DS and an SP, it seems like you're more than covered when it comes to GBA games. Personally, I can't stand the Micro because of how small it is - the SP is already uncomfortable for me to use because of how it's shaped, and the Micro's smaller size definitely does not help matters there.

Given your circumstances, I wouldn't spend the money, but it's up to you.

[quote name='Gothic_Walrus']No.[/quote]

That's what I thought, but I figured there might be a chance, so I threw it up on here.

Hell yeah, for $25 it is definitely worth picking up. I take mine with me everywhere because it takes up less room than a cell phone. It probably doesn't have any resale at a GameStop but I'm sure you'll find takers in the CAG Trading Forum.

[quote name='bassec']Any chance you could grab one for me? I'd pay you cost + shipping. :)[/quote]

I could do that, it's in a town about a half hour away, and I'll probably be going back there today sometime, so I can pick one up for you.

[quote name='khaos2639']I was just at a local Walmart here, and they had 5 Game Boy Micros for $25 each on clearance, I think it was the black and silver one.

I have a DS and an SP, is it even worth me picking one up? Like does it have any redeeming qualities or a decent resale value if I took them to a preplayed store????[/quote]

Yes.

The Micro is an incredible piece of hardware. Playing GBA games on the DS sucks...and the Micro is way more portable than the SP. Plus, $25?? Why not?

[quote name='khaos2639']I could do that, it's in a town about a half hour away, and I'll probably be going back there today sometime, so I can pick one up for you.[/quote]

Nice! Just let me know how much!

Thanks!!!

Hell yeah its worth it!

I bought one for 50 and it was worth every penny.

A DS is no good in playing GBA games, its a nice feature to have but you need an actual GBA for a GBA game. The Micro is just better than the SP, the screen is brighter and its TINY, I take it everywere, I mean everywere other portables I don't but this I can easily take in anywhere with the huge catalog the GBA has it is a must have.

[quote name='D_Icon']A GameBoy is worth the $25. I'm going to my Walmart.

If you scanned your receipt would people be able to pm it?[/quote]

This may sound a bit naive, but I could do that, but why??

[quote name='D_Icon']Do you think it is $25 on all Wal-Marts?[/quote]

No, we have 2 Wal-mart supercenters in the city I live in, and neither of them have it, despite a gigantic electronics clearance on Wednesday, they both have 10ft double sided gondolas full of what-not.

Anyway, I saw it at a tiny Wal-Mart, non super-center, in a small town about a half hour from here, it really took me by surprise, I didn't expect to see them there, since I had just been at 2 other Wal-Marts browsing the electronics clearance sections just a few days past.

[quote name='D_Icon']Do you think it is $25 on all Wal-Marts?[/quote]

No. Walmart prices, especially clearances and drastic markdowns, are very YMMV.

someone here got Xbox 360 wireless controllers for $20, but only one other person on CAG got that price...and many of us checked multiple walmarts.

Thanks for the heads up... though I got a supply of Silvers and 20th anniverary ones I got from sears I am trying to sell off, and Walmart flooding the cheap micro market sucks for me....(I'm unemployed at the moment, so reselling clearance stuff is paying bills).

However, it is an awesome unit, and I have a DS lite. Sell/trade your SP and keep the micro. I'm keeping one of the famicon ones, and we have 1 micro already and 2 dslites... my wife doesn;t like the kids using the DS, and the micro....sigh...I'm tmepted to keep 2 so we have 3 micros and 2 DSes! They're that great, esp for $50 or less.

[quote name='khaos2639']This may sound a bit naive, but I could do that, but why??[/QUOTE]
That's a good question. I don't recall having heard of Wal-Marts price matching scanned receipts before. I'm not sure why they would, given that it's a clearance item and a copied receipt would be easy to fake anyway... :whistle2:k

oh, and I know of 2 walmart near me that have TONS of Micros, at $50 ea (no famicons, jsut black/silver w/o the extra faceplates).

It's because Wal-Mart prices are usually exclusive to that store. So in order to get a GB Micro for $25 at my local Wal-Mart I might try to get them to pricematch a copy of a receipt. I'm doubting that would work w/o an original receipt though.

I might buy one as well if it isn't any trouble, PM me and let me know how much you'd want. Bonus points if you can find a red/gold Famicom version.

The screen of the Micro is too small, you can't play GB or GBC games and the screen isn't protected like it is with the SP or DS. The SP is the best option for playing GB/GBA games and you can probably find a like-new one for around the same price.

[quote name='Nemo_Hyde']No. Walmart prices, especially clearances and drastic markdowns, are very YMMV.

someone here got Xbox 360 wireless controllers for $20, but only one other person on CAG got that price...and many of us checked multiple walmarts.

Thanks for the heads up... though I got a supply of Silvers and 20th anniverary ones I got from sears I am trying to sell off, and Walmart flooding the cheap micro market sucks for me....(I'm unemployed at the moment, so reselling clearance stuff is paying bills).

However, it is an awesome unit, and I have a DS lite. Sell/trade your SP and keep the micro. I'm keeping one of the famicon ones, and we have 1 micro already and 2 dslites... my wife doesn;t like the kids using the DS, and the micro....sigh...I'm tmepted to keep 2 so we have 3 micros and 2 DSes! They're that great, esp for $50 or less.[/quote]

I'd prefer the Famicom edition myself. Would you do $30 shipped for it?

[quote name='fairtrade']

I might buy one as well if it isn't any trouble, PM me and let me know how much you'd want. Bonus points if you can find a red/gold Famicom version.[/quote]

Ok, that makes 2 that I guess I'm picking up today. if memory serves correctly, and no one else has bought them, there should be 2 left, any other takers?

Nemo_Hyde, do you want another one for your reselling venture, I'm not taking a cut, just cost and shipping??

[quote name='Gothic_Walrus']That's a good question. I don't recall having heard of Wal-Marts price matching scanned receipts before. I'm not sure why they would, given that it's a clearance item and a copied receipt would be easy to fake anyway... :whistle2:k[/quote]

Some time ago I copied a reciept that my uncle sent me. He bought Nascar06 for $25+tax. My Wal-Mart was selling it at $39.99. I toke the printed receipt and got Nascar06 for $Twenty-something.

[quote name='bassec']I'd prefer the Famicom edition myself. Would you do $30 shipped for it?[/quote]

Honestly don't know, from what I saw it was all black and silvers. As for the $30, I don't know that either, I've never shipped a micro so I have no clue on what the cost is, or if I should put some insurance on it for you folks because I have little faith in the delicacy of the US postal service

[quote name='khaos2639']Honestly don't know, from what I saw it was all black and silvers. As for the $30, I don't know that either, I've never shipped a micro so I have no clue on what the cost is, or if I should put some insurance on it for you folks because I have little faith in the delicacy of the US postal service[/quote]

Either way, I'll take one. Just prefer the Famicom edition. :)

[quote name='bassec']Either way, I'll take one. Just prefer the Famicom edition. :)[/quote]

Ok, I'll keep that in mind.

On a slighty different note, what's so special about the famicon one? I've seen them, and I personally don't like the look of them. Where's the appeal to all you CAGs in them?

[quote name='khaos2639']Ok, I'll keep that in mind.

On a slighty different note, what's so special about the famicon one? I've seen them, and I personally don't like the look of them. Where's the appeal to all you CAGs in them?[/quote]

Nostalgia? :)

I jsut shipped a micro last night. In a box just bigger than it, with paper padding, it's about $5 priority. Just under $9 in a flat-rate priority box. It's too heavy for 1st Class.

Thanks for the offer, but the margin is so small on these I don't want to risk too much ( I can always return the ones I have to sears).

I paid $35 + tax at sears for the famicons, so I can't really sell them for $30 shipped and profit ;)

[quote name='iamthekiller']I can't believe not a single person has asked WHERE the OP found this deal. Which Walmart is it - where do you live?[/quote]

The Wal-Mart is in New London, Wisconsin

If you're interested in talking with the OP about the possibility of getting a Micro for the price he can find it for, don't bloat this thread with posts, PM them directly.

[quote name='MisterNewGuy']i wish i can leave work and not goto class and just goto walmart funk!!!!!!!!! and the rumble pak for 2.50!! :([/quote]
Dang, my Wal-Mart had the rumble pak for a pricey $4!

I can't say I'm a fan of the micro- i snagged one used at GS/EB a few months ago. The size was nice for the whole unit, but the screen size left a lot to be desired IMO. I ended up getting a graphite SP with the brighter screen and sold the micro to my boss for what I paid for it. I too own every gameboy (even the boosterboy for the original gb),just minus the micro now ( and the indiglo edition pocket), and it just didn't hack it for me.

[quote name='onikage']The screen of the Micro is too small, you can't play GB or GBC games and the screen isn't protected like it is with the SP or DS. The SP is the best option for playing GB/GBA games and you can probably find a like-new one for around the same price.[/quote]

Actually, the screen is protected. The faceplates completely cover the screen.

Hellz yeah the Micro is worth $25! First of all, they go for $40-50 on ebay, so its not like you couldnt make your money back. Buy 2, sell one, free Micro!

Before I had one, I wouldve sworn the screen was gonna be too small. But its not. The screen is soo bright and crisp and clear. Its better than the older SP with the frontlit screen imo. I dont own the new backlit SP, so I cant compare those.

But I love my micro, its soo tiny it really does fit in my pocket, and I can bust it out anywhere when I need a gaming fix.

i'd probably get a couple at this price just so I can play that stupid 4 swords game on the Wii with more than 1 person......

I bought my micro a couple months ago for $25 from ecost.com and I love it because it's so small, you can take it anywhere! Plus, I think the screen is really nice, it's bright and much better than a DS for playing GBA games.

[quote name='bassec']Nostalgia? :)[/quote]

Yeah, nostalgia for a console design only released in Japan that most Americans have never even seen in person. :rofl:

[quote name='elmyra']Yeah, nostalgia for a console design only released in Japan that most Americans have never even seen in person. :rofl:[/quote]

Nostalgia for gaming's past and Nintendo's past.

Very portable, but WAY too small for my eyes.

Side note: I wish they had used the awesome Micro volume rocker buttons on the DSLite...the slider is terrible.

I just want to say the GBmicro is an awesome addition to your gaming collection. It's by far the most compact handheld with super high quality screen and so freaken sexy. It fits into your pocket without pulling your pants down, and it's tiny screen actually makes most GBA games look even sharper! (I have no problem playing RPGs on it)

The only warning is if you have giant hands/fingers then you might want to try test holding one before you buy. My hand span is 9 inches and I have really fat fingers but I feel very comfortable playing the micro, mainly because it is so light weight, so prolonged gaming does not cram my hands like the GBA SP/DS lite would.

I have a GBcolor, GBA SP, DS lite and the micro.. and when I want to play GBA games, the micro is the only one I use. The DS lite is sweet but the micro is definietly sexier.

I posted that I would pay shipping if someone would grab me one at $25. I would prefer silver, but I'll take what I can get.

Not sure what happened to my original post...

**EDIT** - just saw Shrike's post....but why? What if someone other than the original OP gets the deal and can hook someone up?

bread's done
Back