Game Boy Micro

Hairball128

CAG Veteran
Hey I'm kinda new here, though I've lurked a bit.

Does anyone know where to find a Game Boy Micro? I know it's kind of pointless to get one, but I'd like to buy a used one just for collection cause it seems neat.

i remember finding some in the eb i usually go to, though they're all gone now (there were 2 of them there for over a month or 2). I would recommend checking out classifieds (eg. kijiji/craigslist/usedxxxxx) for something like that, or even ebay if you want.

Yeah maybe I'll check out EB and see.

The prices are pretty high on eBay though... I guess it'll be tough finding one at a good price!

[quote name='magiic']I have like four. I have no idea why.[/QUOTE]

someone's excuse to me was that they couldnt fit their ds in their pocket so they carried their micro around. i told him to get looser pants & he said no lol.

They're probably the easiest of the GBA systems to find.. with the originals being non-existent (and ugly), and SPs being really tough to find new these days.

Check your local 'big box shops'; places like Zellers and Wal-Mart frequently have a handful either near the DS section of systems, or put away. You can find most regular Micros for cheaper than an SP on eBay as well.

And let it be said, the Micro is my favorite Gameboy.

[quote name='EvilMario']They're probably the easiest of the GBA systems to find.. with the originals being non-existent (and ugly), and SPs being really tough to find new these days.

Check your local 'big box shops'; places like Zellers and Wal-Mart frequently have a handful either near the DS section of systems, or put away. You can find most regular Micros for cheaper than an SP on eBay as well.

Hmm, when I was down the state I saw a bunch of GameStop's selling GameBoy Micro's for 29.99 new and like 19.99 used or something like that.

I'm not sure if they sell them anymore because last time I saw them was in September, not saying I don't go down the states it's just the last time I looked for them.

[quote name='EvilMario']They're probably the easiest of the GBA systems to find.. with the originals being non-existent (and ugly), and SPs being really tough to find new these days.

Haha, this is kinda funny. I just got a helluva deal on both Golden Sun games yesterday ($3 for both!!!), but no GBA/DS to play it on atm. I have an SP at home, but was always sorta curious about the Micro. I haven't seen one in years though :/

The micro had a lower resolution than the GBA, right? Huh, I just looked it up and they were the same, that's news to me. Maybe I should look for a Micro too.

[quote name='Griptor']What is this, an old IRC reunion? Hairy, EvilMario and I! Glad to see we all evolved from our teens to become....cheap asses :bouncy:

I have a Micro that I used once...I got it because it went on sale for like 60 dollars and it was the Famicom version. Cool collectable, but too small for me to use comfortably. Go figure...

Surely you can find it for cheaper than 60 now, so aim for that or lower. Must be rare though.[/QUOTE]

Hi Grippy ;) I don't really remember EvilMario though.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']The micro had a lower resolution than the GBA, right? Huh, I just looked it up and they were the same, that's news to me. Maybe I should look for a Micro too.[/QUOTE]

I think it's the same resolution as the regular GBA, but the screen is smaller, so it'd just be sharper.

It has the same resolution as the GBA and a very bright back lit screen. The D-pad is really good on it. The shoulder buttons feel strange but not to many games use the. Reading RPG's on it works fine. I bought mine for $30 new at EB it was well worth it to have a very small system in my purse all the time. I've used it in many times for a quick round of Mario 3 while stuck in a line or when the car breaks down.

Call around at a few EB's and see if they have any. Used handhelds the do not display so you don't know if they have any in stock so just ask.

[quote name='Hairball128']Hi Grippy ;) I don't really remember EvilMario though.[/QUOTE]

I'm not that memorable. (although I do remember you!)

Griptor, you'll be happy to know, I keep #generation-n alive in your honour on Dorksnet. Give me a PM sometime! :D

Th Micro is the only system to rightfully bear the 'portable gaming device' moniker. No other system comes close.
Technically the PSP go is only a little bigger, but the fact it doesn't have a media drive kills the portability aspect.

[quote name='poiuiu']Th Micro is the only system to rightfully bear the 'portable gaming device' moniker. No other system comes close.
Technically the PSP go is only a little bigger, but the fact it doesn't have a media drive kills the portability aspect.
[/QUOTE]

Doesn't the fact that the PSP is download-only make it more portable than any other handheld out there? No fumbling with games!

You would have an argument if the thing allows you to play your existing library.

However, because you're forced to start from scratch, it's a poor portable device since you have to be at home or whatever you synched your PSP to in order to add a new game. With the case of the Micro (or any other current portable with a media drive), you can buy games pretty much anywhere and slap it on with little worry about them working or not.

Got kinda lucky yesterday and found a decent shape Famicon Micro in a GS yesterday for $35. Also grabbed FF1&2 Dawn of Souls :gba: for $9.
I'm pretty impressed with the thing. I wish I had picked one up earlier.
I was doing some searching today and found this thread. Anyone know where to get extra faceplates? It may not even be possible at this point I guess. I was reading that the Nintendo store was selling them a while back but they no longer seem to carry them. Any ideas?
Anybody still seeing the Micros themselves new in stores? I'd love to grab a second new one for cheap...

[quote name='Vader582']I was doing some searching today and found this thread. Anyone know where to get extra faceplates? It may not even be possible at this point I guess. I was reading that the Nintendo store was selling them a while back but they no longer seem to carry them. Any ideas?
Anybody still seeing these new in stores? I'd love to grab a second new one for cheap...[/QUOTE]

Congrats on the find. Love my Game Boy Micro and still use if extensively - hopefully you'll enjoy the purchase for a long time to come.

I've looked for faceplates and haven't found any. On rare occasions, a set of third-party faceplates will pop up on eBay... but didn't see any last time I checked. Count me in as interested if anyone has a line on where to get some.

As for finding new Micros still in stores, they're getting really tough to come by. I haven't seen any new ones since visiting an out of the way Zellers a couple years back and finding some marked for Clearance. Plenty of used systems are still floating around though, and can sometimes be grabbed cheap.

[quote name='ejamer']Congrats on the find. Love my Game Boy Micro and still use if extensively - hopefully you'll enjoy the purchase for a long time to come.

I've looked for faceplates and haven't found any. On rare occasions, a set of third-party faceplates will pop up on eBay... but didn't see any last time I checked. Count me in as interested if anyone has a line on where to get some.

As for finding new Micros still in stores, they're getting really tough to come by. I haven't seen any new ones since visiting an out of the way Zellers a couple years back and finding some marked for Clearance. Plenty of used systems are still floating around though, and can sometimes be grabbed cheap.[/QUOTE]
Thanks! I'm really enjoying the thing so far.
The faceplate on mine isn't in real bad shape but there a few scraps over the viewing screen. The screen/body underneath are in great shape, if it had a new faceplate the thing would be damn-near perfect.
I hate I'm so late to this show!:lol:
I'll keep my eyes open and post here should I find any faceplates.

I'm surprised you decided to bump such an old topic for an out-of-date-handheld system.

Scratch that.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='feelgoodinc']I'm surprised you decided to bump such an old topic for an out-of-date-handheld system.[/QUOTE]
Really noob?:roll:

The ultimate Game Boy Micro thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138520

Over time, I waffled between really liking the Micro, and thinking the GBASP or even the DS was better for GBA games. After realizing how portable GBA games are in design, and how not portable anything but the Micro is, I have come to realize that the Micro really is the epitome of portable gaming.

The controls feel great. The screen is sharp. It fits in any pocket, not just big pockets. The GBA library is amazing.

My only complaints: I wish the screen was about 1cm larger and the built-in speaker was louder.

[quote name='ducksoda7']Happy I found a used one at EB 2 weeks ago for $10 . :)[/QUOTE]
Incredible find! I think I'd like to get one. I find GBA games way better than DS games, but the SP is a little bulky and the screen is noticibly poorer in quality than that of the DS. I think the Micro would be a nice fit, no pun intended... well actually, pun intended, I love puns :mrgreen:

I seen one today but it was too scratched up. the screen and faceplate. It was hard not to gamble but I have to be patience.

[quote name='Rocky071']Incredible find! I think I'd like to get one. I find GBA games way better than DS games, but the SP is a little bulky and the screen is noticibly poorer in quality than that of the DS. I think the Micro would be a nice fit, no pun intended... well actually, pun intended, I love puns :mrgreen:[/QUOTE]
I know what you mean. Buying my Micro made me fall in love with the GBA all over again. It just has that classic charm: no dual screens or using a stylus. Now I want to get all those Pokemon and Mario games I skipped that generation.

I wonder how those screens get scratched. I have two micros that I have carried with me almost every day and they only have those microscopic scratches which you can only see by looking at reflected light at an angle. I mean the system comes with a damn carrying case. There is no reason for there to be any significant scratches.

[quote name='ducksoda7']I know what you mean. Buying my Micro made me fall in love with the GBA all over again. It just has that classic charm: no dual screens or using a stylus. [/QUOTE]
fuck that. No dual screen, no stylus, no bullshit nub, no bullshit 3d graphix, no bs ghosting, no bs media functions, no bs download-only games! As I said much earlier in this thread, the Micro is the epitome of portable gaming.

[quote name='Zing']I wonder how those screens get scratched. I have two micros that I have carried with me almost every day and they only have those microscopic scratches which you can only see by looking at reflected light at an angle. I mean the system comes with a damn carrying case. There is no reason for there to be any significant scratches.[/QUOTE]
I was thinking about it today, and really, a cell phone screen protector would probably fit pretty close (or could be cut to size). Most of them are quite thin too. Might be a good investment.

I see that Zagg still sells a GB Micro screen protector. I've got one of their products on my phone and it works very well. If I end up buying a new, unopened Micro, I'll def. be getting of those.

Even the used ones are fetching a decent price on Ebay! Crazy for an "out-of-date-handheld system". :lol:

[quote name='Vader582']
Even the used ones are fetching a decent price on Ebay! Crazy for an "out-of-date-handheld system". :lol:

[/QUOTE]

I can admit I was not aware of the success of this system. I do apologize for my abrupt attack of this thread.

[quote name='game_fanatic']Doesn't the fact that the PSP is download-only make it more portable than any other handheld out there? No fumbling with games![/QUOTE]

Ssssshhhhh, don't get all technical with the fanboys! Their heads pop!

[quote name='kathos']Ssssshhhhh, don't get all technical with the fanboys! Their heads pop![/QUOTE]

Kinda seems like your the only fanboy here.:lol:

I love my PSP as well but the Micro is very portable. I like having physical media so I wouldn't opt for a PSPgo.

And btw, if you're sticking to your "downloads only" and size criteria, the Touch is probably more "portable" then the Go. Just some food for thought. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
If I had unlimited funds, I would definitely opt for a PSP Go. The system is really sweet. Unfortunately, it's also very expensive and has less functionality than the cheaper, regular PSP systems.

The Micro isn't perfect, but it does exactly what I want and is considerably cheaper.

[quote name='Vader582']Kinda seems like your the only fanboy here.:lol:

I love my PSP as well but the Micro is very portable. I like having physical media so I wouldn't opt for a PSPgo.

And btw, if you're sticking to your "downloads only" and size criteria, the Touch is probably more "portable" then the Go. Just some food for thought. :D[/QUOTE]

Eh? When did I say anything about the Go? Don't make any assumptions. I still carry around a Micro, but game_fanatic made a very good point, without devolving it into a pissing match.

[quote name='kathos']Eh? When did I say anything about the Go? Don't make any assumptions. I still carry around a Micro, but game_fanatic made a very good point, without devolving it into a pissing match.[/QUOTE]
You responded directly to someone who mentioned the PSP being download only, which could only be the PSPgo. I didn't assume. You might have misread his original statement.

Heh.

[quote name='Vader582']

And btw, if you're sticking to your "downloads only" and size criteria, the Touch is probably more "portable" then the Go. Just some food for thought. :D[/QUOTE]
And if you want to take that even further (especially if you don't put cost into the equation) an iPhone with 3G would be the best and most 'portable' device you can ever have since you can download apps anywhere without having to rely on hotspots (nuts to that). I mean, the PSP STILL doesn't support anything over WPA (I only use WPA2); one of the biggest flaws of the PSP, imo.

And while I don't deny my own fanboyism (I love my PSP 2000 over a lot of devices), I'm glad the Go has proven to be a massive commercial failure worldwide.

And I stand by my original snarky remark.

Back when I was assistant manager at Sam Goody (before they closed our store) we were going through OLD stock and I found 4 unopened Game Boy Micro systems. I checked them and they rang up at $9.99 each! I said "What the hell" and I bought 3 and let a female co-worker buy the other one. When I got home, I checked out the prices on ebay, and I have to admit I was blown away by how much they go for! I sold each one for no less then $70. If I remember correctly, one went for $73, one went for $85, and the other was $82. CRAZY.

I worked at a used video game (mom and pop type place) store a couple years ago and we had like 9 of these things. No one ever wanted to buy them. What a difference a couple years can make I guess.

[quote name='Dr. Venkman']Back when I was assistant manager at Sam Goody (before they closed our store) we were going through OLD stock and I found 4 unopened Game Boy Micro systems. I checked them and they rang up at $9.99 each! I said "What the hell" and I bought 3 and let a female co-worker buy the other one. When I got home, I checked out the prices on ebay, and I have to admit I was blown away by how much they go for! I sold each one for no less then $70. If I remember correctly, one went for $73, one went for $85, and the other was $82. CRAZY.

I worked at a used video game (mom and pop type place) store a couple years ago and we had like 9 of these things. No one ever wanted to buy them. What a difference a couple years can make I guess.[/QUOTE]
Lucky! :applause: This is the kind of dream-find I'm hoping for!:lol:

I have GB Micro sock (material) to carry them around and a leather type shell lol. I bought them at Toys-R-Us before they sold out but I never got a Micro so... if anyone wants them :)

[quote name='Dr. Venkman']Back when I was assistant manager at Sam Goody (before they closed our store) we were going through OLD stock and I found 4 unopened Game Boy Micro systems. I checked them and they rang up at $9.99 each! I said "What the hell" and I bought 3 and let a female co-worker buy the other one. When I got home, I checked out the prices on ebay, and I have to admit I was blown away by how much they go for! I sold each one for no less then $70. If I remember correctly, one went for $73, one went for $85, and the other was $82. CRAZY.

I worked at a used video game (mom and pop type place) store a couple years ago and we had like 9 of these things. No one ever wanted to buy them. What a difference a couple years can make I guess.[/QUOTE]
Jealous! :bomb:

[quote name='Dr. Venkman']Back when I was assistant manager at Sam Goody (before they closed our store) we were going through OLD stock and I found 4 unopened Game Boy Micro systems...[/QUOTE]

Oh man lucky! I would've kept them myself, like the 360 HD DVD drives I bought like 4-5 just in case my current one break (bought 'em for like $5 apiece).

[quote name='kathos']Oh man lucky! I would've kept them myself, like the 360 HD DVD drives I bought like 4-5 just in case my current one break (bought 'em for like $5 apiece).[/QUOTE]
You'll need 73 xbox 360's to last you long enough to go through 5 HD-DVD players. :D

bread's done
Back