Game Boy Player (Gamecube) -- $9.99

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone played GBP on an HD set with S-Video cables? I have some inappropriately-long Psyclone cables for Gamecube, no component. I really like the sharpness of NES emulation on Wii and wouldn't mind playing Ghost Babel on a TV.

Getting GC component cables for $5 is by far the best thing I have ever bought from a gamestop.

I have since disconnected my GC from my TV but can't bring myself to get rid of it solely for the prospect of playing the GBA versions of final fantasy in 480p. I even have the SNES to GC controller adapter and an official SNES controller.

[quote name='ZombieToast'] But it's okay 'cause he has the name of a Pokémon (Merrill) and he's basically the most non-GameStop-like employee you can find. He's always been super helpful, he actually suggests where to get stuff for a better deal, and he only mentions pre-orders once.[/QUOTE]

So you're saying he will be fired soon?

[quote name='Ruahrc']Getting GC component cables for $5 is by far the best thing I have ever bought from a gamestop.

I have since disconnected my GC from my TV but can't bring myself to get rid of it solely for the prospect of playing the GBA versions of final fantasy in 480p. I even have the SNES to GC controller adapter and an official SNES controller.[/QUOTE]

For anyone who's planning on play GBA games using the GBA Player, you need something like this. The L/R buttons on the GC controller suck for GBA games. Actually, no GB/GBC/GBA game I played using the GC controller felt right... probably because of that big ass "A" button.

Heh, I have good experiences with these. My friend and I go game hunting a lot, though he's more interested in peripherals. One of those days he bought one of these on a whim, and after that I got pretty jealous and needed one. Game Boy Players are hard to find in our area, but my friend would always look at peripherals anyway, so one time when I was looking at PS2 games (my thing) my friend's like, there's a Game Boy Player here. No original boot disk box so I say no. He jokingly says, okay I'll find you another one. And sure enough he comes back with another. I bought it and my friend bought the other, and another since so we can play 5 TVs Four Swords ;). The last one Gamestop actually lost the boot disk but we hadn't seen one in so long, plus we figured you could probably share boot disks. The Gamestop called back a few days later when they found it, good thing my friend used his PUR card.

[quote name='Inferno-X']So you're saying he will be fired soon?[/QUOTE]
Ha ha, you would think so, but he's been working there as long as I lived in this town (just over 3 years). I think he might be the manager, but I'm not at all sure about that.

Love the avatar, by the way. I wake up just about everyday hoping there will be an announcement for Seaman Kinect and/or Seaman 3DS.

So, just to clarify, how would a component cable on a gamecube running a gameboy game through the player have a particularly better resolution than the standard video cable? It's still just an 8-bit game...

Edit: Called up a few GS stores around me, none have it. They are clearing it out of their inventory this week, so those discrepancies will be gone soon. :( Bummer too, $10 was a good deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a gameboy player and its awesome to play such big hit gameboy games as Stop That Roach, Fish Dude and King James Bible!

[quote name='negative_antimatter']So, just to clarify, how would a component cable on a gamecube running a gameboy game through the player have a particularly better resolution than the standard video cable? It's still just an 8-bit game...[/QUOTE]

Nothing *major* - but the GCN Component Cables allow the GameCube to output in Progressive Scan. As Game Boy/GBC/GBA Games are programed for the LCD screen on the Game Boy, they're already set to display a progressive image... Also, I think the colors are quite a bit sharper through Component, but that might not be the Component per say, that could just be my TV or such.

Found one of these today with the disk. Had terrible luck with GBA games though.

This might be a stupid question, but does this thing play original gameboy games?

[quote name='blindinglights']Found one of these today with the disk. Had terrible luck with GBA games though.

This might be a stupid question, but does this thing play original gameboy games?[/QUOTE]

Yes. It plays GB, GBC, and GBA games.

Found a player over the weekend for myself. I've been looking for component cables for a few years, buy haven't had any luck (and I refuse to pay the crazy ebay prices).

[quote name='UncleBob']Nothing *major* - but the GCN Component Cables allow the GameCube to output in Progressive Scan. As Game Boy/GBC/GBA Games are programed for the LCD screen on the Game Boy, they're already set to display a progressive image... Also, I think the colors are quite a bit sharper through Component, but that might not be the Component per say, that could just be my TV or such.[/QUOTE]

Not all gamecubes can use the component cables the later ones had the extra port removed.

[quote name='WingsDJY']Yes. It plays GB, GBC, and GBA games.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, tried a few of my old original GB games and they all worked fine. This will probably give me some incentive to replay a few of them since it means I don't have to play them on my old school GameBoy. That screen isn't exactly easy on the eyes.

helo since gs sell retro game now will they ever have gbplayer on sale for this price again. ples pm me if u kno answer becauise im not reading this thread agin. thx tim.

PEPSIMAN! My main man! Good to see you again!

200.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back