Game Craze: doing customer service right

crunchberries

CAGiversary!
Feedback
32 (100%)
Yesterday, I visited a Game Craze and met an employee who, I thought, exemplified the concept of 'above and beyond'. For those of you not in the Western NY area, Game Craze is a teeny tiny chain--seriously, there's like maybe two stores I've ever seen--that's been operating in Rochester and Batavia since the early nineties.

Anyway, I went to the Mount Hope location yesterday, hoping to get my copy of Fallout 3 refinished. The disk was in terrible shape because someone had kicked my 360 over while I was in the middle of playing and I believed I had no hope of getting it restored, but thought it was worth a try anyway. So I walked in and was met by a cheerful guy, about mid twenties, who welcomed me with a smile. I asked him about the store's refinishing services and he told me that they usually have a guy come once or twice a week to fix all the disks.

Unfortunately, I only come up to Mount Hope once a week and it's not on one of the days the guy comes over, so I was stuck. He told me he could hold the disk for me, even for a week, and since that seemed like the best solution at the time, I agreed. When I handed over my game though, he opened it up, took a look at the disk, grinned, and said, "Wait, I can do one better."

As I watched, he took a used copy from the shelf, checked the disk to see if it had scratches, told me it was in mint condition, and popped the disk into my case. I half expected this to be a gag as he pushed the case back into my hands; like he'd grab my game away at the last second and put it in the back or something and tell me to return in a week.

But no. He'd actually given me a free copy of the game. I wasn't so naive as to think he wouldn't recoup the cost of what he'd done; after all, I had given him my old disk and there was still a chance, even if I didn't really believe it, that he could refinish it and sell it as a used copy. Still, it was a random act of kindness that I never would have expected from anyone and it made my day.

P.S: If you're on CAG, Game Craze Guy, I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart. You're awesome and I'm definitely going to buy games from your store in the future.

Yeah, I was a game crazy employee like that and had tons of repeat customers. Unfortunately for that company, and I guess me, every time I was eligible for an automatic raise, I got the max amount. Then when I got a full time job elsewhere and had to cut down on my hours, despite being liked by customers and being the top salesperson in the district based on percentages...I was fired...because I made too much money. So that employee has that to look forward to if he keeps customers happy and coming back to the store...

That's definitely cool, OP. I still love when I run across an employee that truly seems enjoy making sure the customers are happy.

I don't think breaking store policy is typically what I'd call going 'above and beyond'. Now someone else may have to face receiving a resurfaced disc that may or may not work.
Nice dude though

[quote name='muhsheesuh']I don't think breaking store policy is typically what I'd call going 'above and beyond'. Now someone else may have to face receiving a resurfaced disc that may or may not work.
Nice dude though[/QUOTE]

If you're buying used, you're running the risk of a resurfaced disk to begin with- and if it doesn't work, it'll just get returned.

Mu guess is when the game came out, the guy saw a popular title he knew sold well used, and a chance to both make a happy customer and take away the responsibility of keeping track of someone else's game for a week- a win-win situation all around.

Not that I'll ever be in NY, but just case, I'll remember this place.

To be honest it doesn't surprise me. It saves him a lot of hassle to just give you another disc. Their buffers are of the best quality money can buy. I have had them buff out incredibly deep circular scratches from discs to make them look near-mint and completely functional. Usually if its only one disc, they don't even bother to charge me for it. Unfortunately their store sucks so I can't repay them any favors, but the people in the stores are generally pretty helpful.

bread's done
Back