Game Crazy selling PS2 Art of Fighting Collection *new* for $15!

[quote name='nonggame']Is this game any good?[/quote]
AOF1 and 2 are absolute shit. It's the stuff Angry Video Game Nerd videos are made of. AOF3 is a shined up turd. The animation's nice, and there are some interesting gameplay elements, but a turd is still a turd.

I can't believe they're even bothering with the AOF collection. Where are the KOF collections? Last Blade collection? fuckING GAROU MARK OF THE WOLVES ON THE PS2 WITH ONLINE MULTIPLAYER?! The only thing that could top that is Garou on XBLA.

Makes me wonder if this thing will have an MSRP of $15 or under, this is now the second place that has put it at an extremely cheap MSRP compared to what other games go for.

I'd drop $15 on this, if it was a universal MSRP.

Yeah, AoF was not a high point for SNK. I'm just worried about what kind of message we are sending if we DON'T buy it. I mean, 12-15 bucks is a small price to pay for a cup coaster if it'll force their hands to release the KOF or Fatal Fury Collections....maybe even SamSho!

It is more than worth it. AOF1 was amazing for it's time. AOF3 is a very good game, just not up to SNK standards. But the final boss more than makes up for it. And AOF2 is very possibly the hardest game ever made. You just can't pass this up.

[quote name='Nohbdy']It is a universal MSRP. It's not supposed to be any more expensive than $15.[/QUOTE]

EB/GS have it for $19.99

I did a GCO on buy.com and paid $7.39 total. I decided that was a better option since TRU is carrying both Odin Sphere and Atelier Iris 3 so I'm hoping to get those for $10 by winter, instead of $30 ;)

[quote name='Lord Omega Yagami']It is more than worth it. AOF1 was amazing for it's time. AOF3 is a very good game, just not up to SNK standards. But the final boss more than makes up for it. And AOF2 is very possibly the hardest game ever made. You just can't pass this up.[/QUOTE]

What are you smoking? I'd rather play Superman 64 than any of these games.

Yes, the AOF games were really impressive when they came out. They had cool stories too. The ridiculous difficulty is the only drawback to me...

Now, now. Let's not start saying things we'll regret later.:)
[quote name='Chuplayer']What are you smoking? I'd rather play Superman 64 than any of these games.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Knoxximus']Yeah, AoF was not a high point for SNK. I'm just worried about what kind of message we are sending if we DON'T buy it. I mean, 12-15 bucks is a small price to pay for a cup coaster if it'll force their hands to release the KOF or Fatal Fury Collections....maybe even SamSho![/QUOTE]

Why not just import the SNK collections out in Japan? You won't have to spend money on this piece of shit and you won't have to wait either. And SNKPUSA won't have a chance to fuck up again.

As I said in the fighting thread though, the high point of this game is Roddy's win quote: "Oh, go home, poopy-pants."

[quote name='Lord Omega Yagami']It is more than worth it. AOF1 was amazing for it's time. AOF3 is a very good game, just not up to SNK standards. But the final boss more than makes up for it. And AOF2 is very possibly the hardest game ever made. You just can't pass this up.[/QUOTE]

So... a game that hasn't aged well, a game that's worse than what we want from SNK, and a game that's really difficult. That doesn't sound like a winning combination.

Okay, so I kinda put some words in your mouth, but seriously... not even the nostalgia can compel me to rape myself by playing this series.

Capcom would have, if they still had the rights to the Marvel characters.

But they don't, and licensing them for a compliation, well, they would never make enough money to even cover the cost of licensing unless they sold the compilation at an extremely inflated price.

[quote name='62t']the funny thing is capcom actually sold the marvel license to EA[/QUOTE]
That was like 3 years ago...I remember when that first happened they were talking about releasing a Marvel vs. EA fighting game that never happened. Too bad, I bet it would've sucked bad.

been wanting to get Metal Slug anthology too, but yeah I've always like compilations, althuogh I've never played brotherhood what did they add in that one?

[quote name='freshzen']That was like 3 years ago...I remember when that first happened they were talking about releasing a Marvel vs. EA fighting game that never happened. Too bad, I bet it would've sucked bad.[/QUOTE]

There was, it's called marvel nemesis. The problem was, EA had no original characters, so the had to make up all new ones on the spot. Also, I believe the license expired, Marvel wanted more money, so capcom passed.

I love my Saturn and Dreamcast in situations like this!

For $15, I will buy it just to support SNK, although I'm always interested in a AoF compilation.

I'll probably get it just for the heck of it. I think one of my fren told me that TRU has the collections for 15 bucks (there was a sale going on - I got genji for cheap).

Who knows, they might actually come out with Last blade collection - I'll buy that in a heartbeat.

[quote name='Garfield']I love my Saturn and Dreamcast in situations like this![/QUOTE]

Same here.

[quote name='Richter']doesnt Activision have the Marvel license now?[/QUOTE]

I think there's several licenses depending on the type of game.

they do, but capcom own a license for a fighting game that exist before that. Capcom then sold that license to EA.

Well, Capcom didn't sell the Marvel fighting game license to EA, EA just got it from Marvel (it's not Capcom's to sell). But Marvel Nemesis was something nasty though :(

I don't know why SNK is not putting out the better collections in America. I will buy this to show support with my dollar. But that probably won't do much, haha.

Does anyone actually have this collection? Is it even worth it to play? I bit on SamShoV and KOF Neowave. I'm all about supporting SNK but three strikes in a row will really piss me off.

I think Sega just accuired the rights to publish Marvel games. I think they're going ot start with Iron Man.

As for the series. AoF didn't age well at all. Even during it's original arcade release it was somewhat outdated. The first one only hd 2 characters to choose from in single player mode while Street Fighter 2 had 8 and was already out for over a year at that point. The most notable thingabout AoF is that it was the first fighting game to have graphic scaling. That feature where when the fighters were really close to each other they would almost be full screen sized but if you stepped back the screen would scroll back and keep the character in ratio.

Still. Even in it's prime it wasn't really a good game.

[quote name='depascal22']Does anyone actually have this collection? Is it even worth it to play? I bit on SamShoV and KOF Neowave. I'm all about supporting SNK but three strikes in a row will really piss me off.[/QUOTE]

It's arcade perfect, or pretty damn close - most of the complaints just stem from the games themselves, rather than the quality of the port.

I could do worse with my $15, I've always wanted to play AoF 2 and 3 and "relive" AoF 1, and I was contemplating importing this when it dropped to $24.90 - now I don't really have to, I'll grab this for $15.

They were also talking about bringing over Fatal Fury Battle Archives Vol 1, I'd be up for that for $15 too, I could probably dump my import for $15.

[quote name='Roufuss']They were also talking about bringing over Fatal Fury Battle Archives Vol 1, I'd be up for that for $15 too, I could probably dump my import for $15.[/QUOTE]

That would be a good set to bring over. Hell, put all of the Fatal Fury games in one box set, and I'd pay $60 for them. FF3 FTW! That game's underrated.

Fatal Fury 3 was fun, but Fatal Fury 2 and Special had much better characters and were more fun overall, to me at least.

[quote name='eastx']Fatal Fury 3 was fun, but Fatal Fury 2 and Special had much better characters and were more fun overall, to me at least.[/QUOTE]

But FF3 had a dodging system that was unique to FF3, and it was so much faster. And it introduced Blue Mary! Let's not forget the intro, either. Really gets me pumped! [/sidekick commerical] An interesting story for a fighting game, a good soundtrack, and brilliant graphics. And it has the basic FF1-2-Special controls as opposed to the simplified controls in the Real Bout games. It's awesome!

$15 at Wherehouse/fye, looks like this is MSRP for the most part.

As a word of warning, everyone past the first battle in AoF2 suffers from a severe case of SNK Boss Syndrome.

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']
As a word of warning, everyone past the first battle in AoF2 suffers from a severe case of SNK Boss Syndrome.[/QUOTE]

Yes, total broken boss syndrome. Thing is it's not just the bosses. I remember I emulated that a few years back and even with save points I couldn't get myself to play that game for more than 3 stages.

Are they good games to play with friends? I have no experience at all with Art of Fighting and would rather not pay $15 for a crappy game.

I remeber somone saying why not import the other SNK compilations if this one was so terrible. The reason why I am reluctant to do so is because importing is not only expensive , but also there is also the language barrier to deal with as well. Between opting to either buy a Japanese system or using risky swap disc methods, its not worth hurting my PS2 or my wallet. I guess I will support the SNK cause
by purchasing this game.

Yeah, they could release KOF XI, Neo Geo Battle Coliseum, SamSho Tenka, and any of the million collections that didn't release stateside. They could do small print runs and do minimum advertising and run straight to the bank. The only people that would buy these games already know about them, it's just that we want them in English. Then again, I guess SNK is assuming that we all have modded consoles over here anyway.

bread's done
Back