Game Dev Story

keithp

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
is the most addicting game I've played on iOS. Just played for a few minutes after dinner and next thing I knew 5 hours had gone by!

...but I got my Hall of Fame Game developed, along with 2 sequels that were million-plus sellers! :D

Anyone else addicted? Or post-addicted and quit?

I quit after the game "ended", but I've thought about starting anew every once in awhile. My company, Bono-Metzen (named in honor of this guy), was pretty successful. I think I even had one game that won a ton of awards one year, including worst game :lol:

For my games, I did a lot of parody mash-ups. Just grabbed the iPad to look up some of the titles (I apologize in advance for the really groan-inducing ones):

- Pop'n Rifle (Music, Hunting)
- Tales of Class (RPG, High School)
- FMV Turismo (Racing, Movies)
- Final FMV (Sim RPG, Movies)
- Kawaii Hero (Music, Cutie)
- Umpire May Cry (Action, Baseball)
- Splinter Kart (Racing, Spy)
- Airport Hearts (Action RPG, Airplane)
- Chrono Singer and Radical Divas (both RPG, Pop Star)
- Paper Madden (RPG, Sports)
- Yu-Gi-Snow! (Card Game, Snowboard)
- Gears of Store (Shooter, Conv. Store)
- FeatherQuest (Online RPG, Animal)
- Acne Kart and Super Acne Kart (both Racing, High School)
- Lone Wolf & Kart (Racing, Samurai)
- boatmania (Music, Harbor)
- Whoops Sports (Motion, Sports)

Is the sequel out in English yet? Haven't kept up with news of that.

Last edited by a moderator:
i quit because once you hit end game, it's really boring. everything you make is a hit anyway.

now... grand prix story... that's a fun game, but it's android only. =)
the academy game is pretty fun too, that's on iOS. but hot spring story isn't so fun.
hmm, there's now a megamall story... but it looks a lot like simtower.

Probably one of my favorite iOS games (besides THPS2). I used to kill time in class by playing this all the time

I never really finished it. Not even close to finishing it. So many games come out on iOS that it's hard for me to stay focused. :) I did like it for as long as I played it and keep meaning to go back to it.

[quote name='4thHorseman']Had fun, but never figured out how to make your own console...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's one of my next goals. I guess you need to get a hardware engineer somehow, but I haven't figured it out either. I'm on a second playthrough of the 20 year-span and doing much better since on the first I wasn't too sure how to play.

But I keep forgetting to always develop something else after one of my games is released. I'm too busy seeing how it sells and watching the money roll in! :)

I was never able to make my own console either; hardware engineers never showed up for me as any of the potential hires. I'm sure there's something on GameFAQs telling you how to unlock them...

The company that made Game Dev Story, Kairosoft, has also made 3 new games after GDS:

Hot Springs Story
Pocket Academy
Mega Mall Story

All are ridiculously addictive, more complex, and overall better than GDS. I highly recommend trying them out.

~HotShotX

i think there's only one "natural" hardware engineer. (the monkey?)

to get your own, you need to get a lot of career change manuals and level everyone up. i forget which careers you need at level 5 to make a hardware engineer.

if everyone's a lv5 hardware engineer then you can make some super sick console that sells like 60 billion or something. at that point it's like beating a dead horse though.

I never got past like 4 years, I dunno, I always got discouraged thinking I screwed something up. I haven't played in like 5 months though so maybe I'll try it again.

Keep going back in and making 2-3 games then saving. Finally able to create consoles, but can't break more than 26 million sales for them. But doesn't seem to do much more for the game and you can only have one console at a time. Would be nice to have one console and one handheld at a time though.

And I tried the other ones like Mall Story and Hot Springs Story. Didn't have the same pull for me. Hot Springs I was tired of after one sitting, but Mall Story I did put some time into. Just...didn't grab my interest as much as Game Dev Story.

All my games suck lol. 3s and 4s; I'M SO ASHAMED!

UPDATE: Well they're all hall of famers, and I always get runner-up award, but I can't get that top-dog game.
UPDATE: Yeah, just a matter of time. Beat it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got Mega Mall Story today, I love it but I kind of hit a plateau. After like 5 years my mall just stopped growing, so I don't really know what to do. Sales are stagnant.

bread's done
Back