Game Development Tools / Tricks

Richard Kain

CAGiversary!
I started a thread like this one in the PC games section, but it seems to have gotten cleaned up. Recent developments and news has led me to believe that a thread about indie game development, and the available resources to make it happen, would probably qualify for the main gaming and industry news thread. :D

On the indie gaming front, there has been some BIG news in recent weeks. To kick it off, the Unity Game Engine and toolset has been released for free by its producers. http://www.unity3d.com This is one of the most popular and capable game engines for indie developers. It has all kinds of tools and abilities, and is known for being extremely cross-platform. (it can make games for Windows, Mac, Web-Player, iPhone, Wii, and soon the XBox 360) There are two tiers for the engine that are sold, the Indie version and the Professional edition. The Pro edition has more features, most notably real-time shadow generation. It is the Indie version is now available for free from the Unity website. Anyone interested in game design should definitely check it out.

About a week later, Epic Games announced the release of the UDK. (Unreal Development Kit) http://www.udk.com/ This package bundles the latest and greatest version of the Unreal Engine 3 with all the tools and assets necessary to start producing your own Unreal Engine 3 - powered game. It does not include the source code for the engine, but does provide all the scripting tools available to full UE3 developers. They also announced a new liscencing plan to coincide with the release of the UDK that opens the UE3 development up to smaller teams. The UDK can be acquired and used for free, even for the production of commercial games. Once revenue from those games exceeds $5,000 USD, the developer has to start paying royalties to Epic. (25% of generated revenue) This plan is beneficial to Epic, while requiring much, much less initial investment on the part of developers.

Finally, the new and popular title Torchlight has had its free toolset released to the public. http://www.torchlightgame.com/ The TorchED package includes all of the tools you need to produce your own dungeons, quests, and import any of your custom-created assets into the game.

I've been using Unity Pro since 1.5. Very nice to see them get more funding recently. If they would release a debugger it would be a top notch tool for Indie devs. If anyone has any q's about it, ping me.

After a little deliberation, I've decided to use Unity for my next game project. I did some more research, and settled on it largely due to it cross-platform support. I also discovered that it is possible to sell Unity-developed games through Steam. The fact that it can be used for free didn't hurt its chances.

Torchlight modding looks fun, and I might dapple in it. But I don't want to devote too much of my time to that. I was planning on buying the retail box of Torchlight on January 5th, so I don't have my own copy of the game yet anyway. The UDK looks like it kicks ass. But the graphical expectations of that engine are extremely high. I don't have the time or energy to sculpt and normal map every object in a game. Also, the fact that it is constrianed to the Windows platform would limit its release.

I have always wanted to make a point-and-click adventure game. I will start off prototyping one of those in Unity.

bread's done
Back