Game for a 5 year olf or younger?

iRandom

CAGiversary!
Feedback
271 (100%)
I'm looking for a good to great videogame for a 5yr old or younger.
I'm thinking How to Train Your Dragon or the upcoming Brave...
What are you suggestions and where can I buy them at for a good price?
Any good deals out there?

I often play the Lego games with my young nephew; they are very accessible for children and have cooperative play if you want to play with them. Lego Batman is his favorite, and he also really enjoys Lego Indiana Jones. Most of the games in the series are between $10 and $20 on Amazon, though you may be able to find them cheaper elsewhere if you look around.

Hope that helps.

hmm that's right. It's a B-day gift for a friend's nephew. I think it's best to give him a toy instead of a videogame since I'm sure he'll be exposed to them in his later years. I'd like to get him legos but I'm afraid he'll shallow 'em...
Thanks everyone!

Skylanders - but be prepared for your friend (or at least the kid's parents) to hate you as he will then be on the hook to buy the kid more figures ;).

[quote name='iRandom']hmm that's right. It's a B-day gift for a friend's nephew. I think it's best to give him a toy instead of a videogame since I'm sure he'll be exposed to them in his later years. I'd like to get him legos but I'm afraid he'll shallow 'em...
Thanks everyone![/QUOTE]

If you get him Lego Duplos they're larger and they still connect and work with the standard legos when he gets older. They're really good for bases or even larger walls.

5 year-olds will not swallow legos. Believe me - I have 5 kids. It is really just the 1-2 year olds that you need to worry about swallowing things. Even my 2 1/2 year-old at this point is pretty much beyond that stage. My 4 year-old is way beyond that and plays with legos all the time. The "3 and up" on toys with small parts is standard cover-you-ass legalize for products that has a built-in cushion of a year or more.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='iRandom']hmm that's right. It's a B-day gift for a friend's nephew. I think it's best to give him a toy instead of a videogame since I'm sure he'll be exposed to them in his later years. I'd like to get him legos but I'm afraid he'll shallow 'em...
Thanks everyone![/QUOTE]

A 5 year old? Swallowing Legos? :lol: If that's the case he/she's got other problems/issues...of the developmental variety :)drool:).

[quote name='pyoobez']If you get him Lego Duplos they're larger and they still connect and work with the standard legos when he gets older. They're really good for bases or even larger walls.[/QUOTE]

If you get a 5 year old Duplos, you will either be insulting the parents/family (and possibly the child), OR the child actually is developmentally disabled :)drool:).

I would get pokepark for Wii, after playing it myself, I can assure you its appropriate for a 5 year old. It would probably seriously bore any kid over 5 years old though. But if you need a super easy game, this is the way to go.

I wouldn't get any movie games, those games are A LOT more difficult than they seem, I have also played these types of games, and they are hard for an adult to beat, I can't imagine a 5 year old beating them.

I would buy them Mortal Kombat thats what my nephews plays and he just turn 5 just 2 months ago. The game is very educational, it teaches kids the atomy of the human body.

------------------------ Suggestions: Marios Series, Sonic series, Lego series, or anything made by nintendo

I would suggest something along the lines of a Dora or Diego. The ones that High Voltage made are simple platformers that have characters that kids will recognize. They're pretty good for kids and they're super cheap. You could also try something like Disney Guilty Party if you are going to do the reading for them, the minigames are a blast for the little ones and the pixar-like style will keep them entertained.

I have a 6, 5 and 3 year old. Their favorites are the Lego games and Skylanders. Skylanders is great for my 3 year old because there is no jumping. Trying to get down the moving the character and jumping is hard to grasp when they are younger. We tried a Diego game and none of them liked it at all. Tried Toy Story 3, and my then 5 year old was a bit frustrated and needed us to help him out from time to time. Disney Universe they all enjoyed, but it didn't hold their attention like the Lego games or Skylanders. Oh and my 5 and 6 year old are Mario Fanatics. but I find Mario on the 3DS/DS is easier for them. They also love Mario Party.

[quote name='karkyco']A 5 year old? Swallowing Legos? :lol: If that's the case he/she's got other problems/issues...of the developmental variety :)drool:).

If you get a 5 year old Duplos, you will either be insulting the parents/family (and possibly the child), OR the child actually is developmentally disabled :)drool:).[/QUOTE]

My nephews were 5 and 7 when we quit buying them Duplos. They loved the Thomas train sets and would use the two buckets we got them to build tunnels, stations, etc. They're hardly developmentally disabled, both are straight A's in school as well. And they still use the Duplos for bases and walls when they use their regular Legos.

Kirby's Epic Yarn on Wii or Disney Universe for Wii/360/PS3. You should be able to find both brand new or in excellent condition on eBay for under $20 each.

Thanks everyone![/QUOTE]

Smart choice. I don't think kids should be exposed to video games that early in life, but that's just my personal opinion.

I have a 4 year old son and this is what he likes, but like others are saying, he is still a little young and would rather play with his toys or go outside. He only wants to play when he catches me playing during my little sneak-breaks.

Toy Story 3
Lego Anything (He has Batman and Indiana Jones, but I'm sure he will love Star Wars as well)
Plants Vs Zombies (since its cartoonish, he likes it even if he losses all the time. Peggle also comes with it which he likes as well)
Cars 2

We have a Kinect also so theres:

Kinectimals
Sesame Street: Once Upon a Monster
Kinect Sports

If you go the toy route, Legos are great for their ages. My son loves them, and a simple box of mixed Legos is fine instead of spending $50 - $100 on a themed set which they probably won't even put together like its suppose to be.

Or, I just bought my son a fishing rod. The kids rods are for ages 3 and up so they are great if he likes the outdoors and only cost like $10.

Hope this helps!

My son just turned 6 and he loves the disney universe game on 360. I did get him the sesame street game for kinect but the controls really frustrate him, it may just be the kinect setup but its not super intuitive. Other than that there are tons of arcade games that are great for younger kids.

Yeah toys are great too, my son loves legos, kids tend to get bored or go back and forth with them. But personally I dont think there is anything wrong with letting them play some video games within moderation. It's really not much different from your child sitting and watching a cartoon or TV show, as long as its age appropriate.

bread's done
Back