Game Ports: Info, Differences, etc.

haguremetaru

CAGiversary!
With so many games coming out on multiple systems, sometimes its hard to figure out which one to get, especially if you're CAGing around for older games. So I was wondering if there was a compiled resource that compared different ports of games. If no one knows of one, then lets start here!

For starters, I know that with MegaMan Anniversay Collection, the best version is the PS2 one, b/c of GC's wonky controls (shoot and jump are switched; as most of these are simple nes/snes games, this situation is worse than it sounds).
I've heard that this isn't an issue in the MegaMan X Collection though, is this true?

I've also been wondering about the PoP and Viewtiful Joe games.

Well, thanks for you help!

Well, in general, always get the Xbox version if available. If it's only on GC/PS2, like VJ or RE4, get the GameCube version.

90% of the the time is is going to be Xbox >Gamecube >PS2. Sometime the version with the later release date will have extra. Get that if it matters to you. (gamecube Mortal Kombat: Deception has the extra characters)

the best version of MegaMan Anniversay Collection is actually Xbox because that one has the bonus form the gameucbe version as well as the anime.

[quote name='haguremetaru']With so many games coming out on multiple systems, sometimes its hard to figure out which one to get, especially if you're CAGing around for older games. So I was wondering if there was a compiled resource that compared different ports of games. If no one knows of one, then lets start here!

For starters, I know that with MegaMan Anniversay Collection, the best version is the PS2 one, b/c of GC's wonky controls (shoot and jump are switched; as most of these are simple nes/snes games, this situation is worse than it sounds).
I've heard that this isn't an issue in the MegaMan X Collection though, is this true?

I've also been wondering about the PoP and Viewtiful Joe games.

Well, thanks for you help![/QUOTE]

Well, the best version of the Mega Man Anniversary Collection is probably the Xbox version since that has an episode of a Mega Man TV series and the interview that the Gamecube version had. The controls are not fucked up either. MMX Collection allowed you to configure your controls on the Gamecube version, but the PS2 version was still better since (according to IGN) the graphics and sound were maybe a tad bit better. Viewtiful Joe is better on the Cube... you don't get Dante like you do in the PS2 version, but you do get better graphics and no slowdown.

[quote name='62t']90% of the the time is is going to be Xbox >Gamecube >PS2.[/quote]
Agreed, though the limited space on the GC discs is a big consideration. No telling what compromises are made (usually to the audio) to fit a game on those smaller discs. Most reviewers seem to focus on the Xbox version and give the ports a cursory glance at best. Game Chronicles did an in-depth comparison of PoP's ports, but that doesn't seem to be a regular feature for other multi-platform games.

[quote name='Allnatural']Agreed, though the limited space on the GC discs is a big consideration. No telling what compromises are made (usually to the audio) to fit a game on those smaller discs. Most reviewers seem to focus on the Xbox version and give the ports a cursory glance at best. Game Chronicles did an in-depth comparison of PoP's ports, but that doesn't seem to be a regular feature for other multi-platform games.[/QUOTE]
the gamecube controller also have fewer buttons, which might make a differences in some games. (In Beyond Good and Evil, you can click in the stick to center the camera in the PS2/Xbox version, something you cant do on the cube version)

I only have a PS2 and Gamecube because I sold my xbox. With the extreme lack of GC exclusives I gave it to my sister, so now I just get the PS2 version.

Usually in games, there isn't a huge amount of difference between the versions, so it really doesn't bother me.

One thing about 360 is 90% if a game is multi-platform including current-gen systems it won't be up to its full potential. Splinter Cell which I'm getting on the 17th is looking to be that 10%.

bread's done
Back