Game recommandation thread

S0DA POPINSKI

CAGiversary!
Feedback
45 (98%)
I just bought a Wii and wanted to pick up a few Gamecube games that I may have missed last gen. I had a GC but sold it when I got cracked out on Xbox Live and never played the thing. I already bought Eternal Darkness. You guys wanna name a few you think I should get and why they rock?

What are some of your favorite genres?

If you liked Eternal Darkness any of the Resident Evil games should do just fine.

Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker - Completely engrossing exploration-based adventure. Innocent fun that will make you think.
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door - If you like RPGs and love the roots of the Mario series, you'll adore this game. Again, innocent fun but you will literally lie in bed at night thinking about how much you want to get back to the game.
Mario Kart: Double Dash!! - I know some people find fault with it when compared against its peers, but I think it's one of the most enjoyable games on the 'Cube. Fast paced, beautiful in terms of both graphics and sound and easily accessible for those who aren't 'gamers' per se. Great for a 'quickie'.
Ultimate Muscle: Legends vs. New Generation - Fun, fun, fun fighting game if you're into the old N64 grappling-based rasslin' games. A great sense of humor.

Honorable mention: Mario Superstar Baseball

I second the recommendation of Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door. My sons and I finished this game a few weeks back and we found it to be a complete blast. You don't have to like RPG's to like it. In fact, if you don't like RPGs, you may well like this game more than RPG fans will (though I think RPG fans will find plenty to like in it as well). It infuses action elements into traditional RPG style, menu-driven battles. The graphic style is fantastic and there's lots of really great humor. I consider it to be one of my all-time favorite games on any platform, and that, I have to say, was a complete surprise to me. I expected to be bored with it, but it completely drew me in and when the days play was over, I always looked forward to our next session with the game. Fantastic stuff.

lego star wars II - local target has this on clearance for under 6.
viewtiful joe - got this at kmart for 3.50 last week
ssx3
f-zero gx
nba street v3
simpsons hit and run

6 games i listed are all different genres. but i really enjoy playing them all. not much of a gamer. the only other system i've ever owned is a nes which i still play bubble bobble and zelda on occasionally. my favorite of the ones i listed is lego star wars ii. tons of fun. after you play the main story, you can do freeplay with tons of characters. there's tons of stuff to do. and the little lego dudes are cute. simpsons is sort of like gta. i like it, but its sort of repetitive b/c you have to go home almost every time after missions. but its funny and if you like the show, you'll enjoy the game.

Beyond Good and Evil- another highly rated RPG that many people have looked over. It got great reviews and everyone who played the game loved it, yet it never really got that popular. It can be a little tricky to find for the GC but also available on other systems as wel (xbox, ps2, PC) so if you want to play it but can't find a GC copy there are some alternatives.

I managed to get a GC copy from a nearby GS but have only played the first few minutes. Was really great so far though!

Ruahrc

Skies of Arcadia Legends: Might be hard to find now but it's a really fun RPG.

Pikmin: I only own the second one but it's a blast, definitely worth playing and hopefully a game that'll be announced for Wii here sometime.

Super Monkey Ball: Either the first or the second one, both are really fun, personally I thought the main game in the first one was a little better but the second one has more mini games. I know there's a Wii version but the reviews weren't that good and if you can find them the GC versions should be really cheap.

Wave Race Blue Storm: I haven't played this yet, I'm just about to buy it since the Gamestop here in town has it for $6. But it got good reviews and the N64 version was one of my favorite N64 games. Not sure why I didn't buy this game a long time ago since the previous one was so much fun.

[quote name='rlse9']Skies of Arcadia Legends: Might be hard to find now but it's a really fun RPG.

Pikmin: I only own the second one but it's a blast, definitely worth playing and hopefully a game that'll be announced for Wii here sometime.

Super Monkey Ball: Either the first or the second one, both are really fun, personally I thought the main game in the first one was a little better but the second one has more mini games. I know there's a Wii version but the reviews weren't that good and if you can find them the GC versions should be really cheap.

Wave Race Blue Storm: I haven't played this yet, I'm just about to buy it since the Gamestop here in town has it for $6. But it got good reviews and the N64 version was one of my favorite N64 games. Not sure why I didn't buy this game a long time ago since the previous one was so much fun.[/quote]

Wave Race is tons of fun but god damn it is hard.

I thought Custom Robo was fun, 007 Nightfire,Animal Crossing, Naruto, Resident Evil, Super Mario Sunshine, and Mario Power Tennis although I only played it once at a friends and I'd love to own it.

Mario Power Tennis is indeed great. You should have bought it when we had the 25/35% off coupon, though. At the full GS/ebay price it may not be worth it (but it is great, so maybe it is worth it....)

I recently picked up Waverace Bluestorm and I haven't had a lot of time to play it, but it does seem difficult. Difficult to control, which isn't unrealistic, but may not make the game fun. I haven't played it nearly enough, though. Literally only 20 minutes of play or so. Probably you get use to it.

the donkey konga games! All the gamestops around me have/had the bongos clearanced down to $5 each, so I got three of them for my birthday and bought all three games that use the bongos :D

Both Metroids in my opinion were the best games for the cube. Also try Mario kart double dash, F-zero GX, Ikaruga and Killer7. WARNING: most people tend to say f-zero and ikaruga are difficult, however if you like a challenge go ahead, they're both great.

I second (third and fourth?) the Metroid games. Metroid Prime is also great because it is very cheap with copies under $10 used. I found mine for 4.99 at GS last year.

Skies of Arcadia is great if you can stand turn-based rpgs with random battles. I love it but it's not as easy to find.

Of ones not mentioned here, I'd say:
cubivore- Great, but extremely hard to find.
SSBM- How hasn't this been mentioned?
Pokemon XD- Pogeymans FTW!

here's what i bought once i got a wii, mabye they will help:
gothca force - great fighting gaem by capcom
zelda-fourswords adventure - like the gba game
zelda-wind waker
megaman anniversery collection - insteadof VC

ive played paper mario and it's definitly worth it. pokemon coloseium is tedious but you get good pokemon out of it. Custum robo is good. but not my style. RE4 is really good too.
Pikmin
supersmash bros melee
sonic mega collection - instead of VC
ultimate spider-man - not bad, but im stuck on a mission that annoys me
x-men legends 2 - similar to Marvel ultimate allience, but with all x-men characters, duh

Chibi Robo, Mario Kart, Mario Golf, Pikmin 1 or 2, Warioware (if you don"t have the GBA version), and Ikaruga were the games that saw the inside of my Cube the most.

Also, you really should pick up the Wii version of RE4.

Pikmin 2 - Very intriguing real-time strategy/adventure game.
Zelda Wind Waker - Best console Zelda since Link to the Past.
Resident Evil - Really well made game, it has tough controls though so be forewarned.
Paper Mario TTYD - Fun and accessible RPG, great graphics and a fun story.
Metroid Prime - Great game, much better than the later games because it emphasizes exploration.
Tales of Symphonia - A solid action RPG that is a bit generic, pick it if you need an RPG fix.

[quote name='shinobi2k']WARNING: most people tend to say f-zero and ikaruga are difficult, however if you like a challenge go ahead, they're both great.[/QUOTE]

That's because they are.

For the most part, pretty much any of the first-party Nintendo titles are worth picking up, like usual. There are a lot of decent third party games out there (Viewtiful Joe and its sequel are cheap, and well worth it), but there's also a lot of crossover if you had an Xbox.

The Rogue Squadron games are fun, and Rogue Squadron 2 was one of the launch titles and is usually cheap.

And in honor of your user name and avatar...if you buy Animal Crossing and a second memory card, you can unlock Punch-Out! in the game. It's not the Mike Tyson version, but it's still as much fun as it was years ago. :)

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']
if you buy Animal Crossing and a second memory card, you can unlock Punch-Out! in the game. It's not the Mike Tyson version, but it's still as much fun as it was years ago. :)[/quote]

What do you mean? Can you only unlock punch-out if you have a second memory card?

Hey guys, I've been building up a small gc collection from the used games at Gamestop and I picked up Killer 7 for 9 bucks tonight.

Is it a worthy game?

I have 7 days to decide if I want to take it back or not. It seems like it got mixed reviews at release.

Heres some of my favs

Skies of Arcadia
Tales of Symphonia
Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes
Paper Mario: TTYD
Zelda: Wind Waker
Animal Crossing
Mario Golf
Resident Evil Games 0,1,2,3,4,CVX

bread's done
Back