Game Sharing Illegal???

mr_burnzz

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I was just on the phone with PSN and I needed rectify a situation and I revealed to them I game share with 2 of my friends. She told me that game sharing is illegal and I can be banned. The fuck? Didn't sony advertise game sharing at one point?

If you read their TOS I believe the wording says that it's not acceptable

And they never "advertised" gamesharing, Jack Tretton merely commented that it was okay. Something he may have regretted saying. The purpose of having it was to allow you to have your content on multiple machines you own. People gamesharing are simply exploiting that function.

[quote name='ssjmichael']If you read their TOS I believe the wording says that it's not acceptable

And they never "advertised" gamesharing, Jack Tretton merely commented that it was okay. Something he may have regretted saying. The purpose of having it was to allow you to have your content on multiple machines you own. People gamesharing are simply exploiting that function.[/QUOTE]

And yet it still reads you can activate up to 5 systems for most games....:roll:

(took note on this with some of the "Welcome Back" games)

The way Sony looked at it as it drove sales since most people wouldn't buy items at full price if they didn't gameshare.

Best rule of thumb when calling Sony tech support Don't ask, Don't tell. Capiche. :whistle2:#

Well, if they get rid of gameshare than they can get rid of earning more money on PSN titles than they would otherwise. 5 people getting 1 game together still is one purchase they wouldn't have otherwise, cause I bet none of those 5 people would be willing to pay full price. PSN goods are far too overpriced.

[quote name='Buuhan1']PSN goods are far too overpriced.[/QUOTE]

Says the person with his Wii id. If you have more than a handful of Wii games, then that's throwing stones from a glass house. I'd rather pay full price for something like Joe Danger or Dead Nation as opposed to $5-$10 on the vast majority or crapware for that system.

Nothing personal and I will not get into a system war, but your opinion is just your personal bias.

Now, if you are solely talking about COD map packs, fire away.

I've had tons of people online ask me to gameshare my DLC packs in random games that I play in multiplayer, but to tell you the truth, I don't want people anywhere near my account. And having multiple accounts to set up such a group is a waste of time and money considering anyone who has the main account can just bail on you at any moment.

That's the only reason why I don't do it.

me and 2 friends have a shared account that we all put $20 psn cards on and then buy whatever we want and share it. it usually works out that only 1 person wants a game, but when they buy it on the shared account, the other 2 can try it and maybe make them a fan of the series.

[quote name='uncle5555']And yet it still reads you can activate up to 5 systems for most games....:roll:[/QUOTE]

I have no idea why you're using that smiley and saying "and yet". Did you read what I said? Of course you can still can activate 5 systems, that's why the feature is there for. That does not, in any way, imply that it's there for gamesharing. It's simply so people with more than one PS3 can have the content on all their systems. If sony really wanted to kill gamesharing, or reduce it, they could limit the number of machines to 2 or 3.

I was just taken aback by her sternness with the game sharing thing and was just confused when she said that I could be banned. But then she's just like whatever, what's the problem. Here's what I learned to do with this phone call to PSN. It seems they have the ability to either deactivate your PSN id on every console that's been activated or make it so that 6 consoles have it. My problem was that I used the 5 uses for my ID. Couldn't figure out how this happened but that's the situation. They will email me in 1-2 days probably telling me that I need to activate again. I wanted my ID off all consoles cuz I didn't like the fact that there were 2 consoles with my ID i didn't know about. Unsure how that happened. Also, they will only do this ONCE.

[quote name='ssjmichael']I have no idea why you're using that smiley and saying "and yet". Did you read what I said? Of course you can still can activate 5 systems, that's why the feature is there for. [/QUOTE]

Because I think it is hypocritical on their part to get the OP crap about it when it blatantly STILL SAYS you can share it with 5 systems, if they don't want you too do it that disclaimer should be completely removed to leave no doubt that they do not condone people doing that. Period.

And I thought after how the CS rep treated the OP, it was stupid for their reaction and how the welcome back games say something completely different (hence the sarcastic eye roll smiley).

That does not, in any way, imply that it's there for gamesharing. It's simply so people with more than one PS3 can have the content on all their systems.
This has never been said in any offical statement from any top member of SCEA/SCEE/SCEI. (unless you have seen otherwise)

And yet WHY??? (is there no official word...)

Because of the reasons we've already mentioned because it would cost them money, money they don't want to loose because of lost sales. End of story.

If sony really wanted to kill gamesharing, or reduce it, they could limit the number of machines to 2 or 3.
Exactly. ;)

But I dunno what we're arguing here, I just thought it was silly of them to tell OP one thing then blatantly have another policy elsewhere saying the complete opposite, total hypocrisy by Sony with that.

So until Kaz Hirai, Jack Tretton or Howard Stringer come back and officially denounce and refute what Tretton said a few years ago, I consider it a non-issue, I just find it mildly amusing that corporate policy is to hand slap people for doing it, plus play bad cop when people are suppose to have the EULA memorized when and if they violate it, when probably a very large amount of users gamershare. Hence...:roll:

And thanks for the info, Mr. Burnzz, I have an account on a buddies system I've not talked to in years and its nice to know in case I need to null it.

Sony announced that players who download games from PlayStation's online shop can share them on up to five other PS3 machines.

If a player logs into his PlayStation 3 account on a friend's system, he can download any game he has already purchased. "You can send that content to four other friends for that initial investment," said Tretton. "We want to get the game in as many hands as possible." "It's not about generating profits at each and every interaction with the consumer," he said. "I think that really offsets the argument that says, 'Wow, that's a really pricey system.'"

It's not illegal.
/thread

Sony announced that players who download games from PlayStation's online shop can share them on up to five other PS3 machines.

If a player logs into his PlayStation 3 account on a friend's system, he can download any game he has already purchased. "You can send that content to four other friends for that initial investment," said Tretton. "We want to get the game in as many hands as possible." "It's not about generating profits at each and every interaction with the consumer," he said. "I think that really offsets the argument that says, 'Wow, that's a really pricey system.'"

It's not illegal.
/thread

[quote name='Buuhan1']Well, if they get rid of gameshare than they can get rid of earning more money on PSN titles than they would otherwise. 5 people getting 1 game together still is one purchase they wouldn't have otherwise, cause I bet none of those 5 people would be willing to pay full price. PSN goods are far too overpriced.[/QUOTE]
:applause: I can't believe how much they want for some of this digital download crap. Albeit some games are fun(see: Dead Nation), but most of it is junk I wouldn't bother paying a nickel for let alone $15 or sometimes MORE per game.

As for me, unless they specifically wanna go into each system I have my primary PSN account activated on, then they have no idea how many systems I'm on and it's staying that way.;)

[quote name='mr_burnzz']I was just taken aback by her sternness with the game sharing thing and was just confused when she said that I could be banned. But then she's just like whatever, what's the problem.[/QUOTE]

I think she is either just having a bad day, or maybe she's supposed to say that. In my opinion, I think Sony tries to discourage it, while at the same time, they allow it.

Also, I think the people that create a shared account for the sole purpose of game-sharing are breaking the TOS and pushing the interpretation of what Jack Tretton said. I think he was mainly stating that if you have friends, you can share your allotted copies of the games with them; however, I doubt he intended that to mean that you can set up a second account and share that account with 5 random people.

Hi,

My PS3 had a serious problem during the outage and it had to be sent to France for repair, where they formatted the HDD and also replced the motherboard. Now all my gameshared games are gone, and I can't redownload them since the PSN recognizes my PS3 as a different one (because of the new motherboard), and since the previous motherboard hasn't been deactivated, I can't download anything from our gamesharing accounts, as all the 5 activations have been used.

Do you think I can call my local Sony service to arrange to deactivate my old motherboard or will they probably refuse to do it? Also, do I have to be afraid of getting banned from PSN if I call them with this problem?

Thanks!

[quote name='ako127']Hi,

My PS3 had a serious problem during the outage and it had to be sent to France for repair, where they formatted the HDD and also replced the motherboard. Now all my gameshared games are gone, and I can't redownload them since the PSN recognizes my PS3 as a different one (because of the new motherboard), and since the previous motherboard hasn't been deactivated, I can't download anything from our gamesharing accounts, as all the 5 activations have been used.

Do you think I can call my local Sony service to arrange to deactivate my old motherboard or will they probably refuse to do it? Also, do I have to be afraid of getting banned from PSN if I call them with this problem?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

I assume you're in Europe for it to go to France for repairs?

If it was an authorized legit service repair through SCEE then there shouldn't be an issue at all to call them, explain the situation and get them to rectify the problem, since by extension they caused it when they replaced your Mobo, if nothing else they should be able to switch the old account over to the new system.

Out of curiosity, are you the main account holder for all of the items on your account, of was everything gameshared via other accounts (you didn't make it clear in your comments) or is it not an issue at all and nothing is gameshared? (if so then you shouldn't have an issue just settng up a new account with the old username / password and using your old account, however the old system will still be activated, as you've already noted)

[quote name='0_0']Sony announced that players who download games from PlayStation's online shop can share them on up to five other PS3 machines.

It's not illegal.
/thread[/QUOTE]

Sony says a lot of things they later go back on: how's that OtherOS thing working out?

[quote name='trq']Sony says a lot of things they later go back on: how's that OtherOS thing working out?[/QUOTE]

Wasn't there a big lawsuit for that? If the same thing happens I'm sure there will be another one.

[quote name='uncle5555']Out of curiosity, are you the main account holder for all of the items on your account, of was everything gameshared via other accounts (you didn't make it clear in your comments) or is it not an issue at all and nothing is gameshared? (if so then you shouldn't have an issue just settng up a new account with the old username / password and using your old account, however the old system will still be activated, as you've already noted)[/QUOTE]

Yes, I'm from Europe, and there were several accounts on my system:

First, my main account that I use for gaming, trophies, friends list, etc. It's completely intact, it's only activated on my PS3 (although probably twice, with the old and new motherboard as well). So no problems here.

However, I had a number of gamesharing accounts as well, I wasn't the host (or account creator) on any of them. 5 people shared the same account, as usual, but since my PS3's motherboard has been replaced, it's now recognised as a 6th system, and it doesn't let me re-download the games.

So I want my old motherboard deactivated from the PSN (I don't really know how this works) because of the gamesharing accounts, but I'm not sure it's a reasonable claim, and whether I can expect anything.

I believe gamesharing is actually illegal now in the state of Tennessee based on new legistlation passed on sharing digital content such as rhapsody, etc.

Wouldn't surprise me if it were illegal in other states as well, regardless of what Sony's policy on it is.

[quote name='nbballard']I believe gamesharing is actually illegal now in the state of Tennessee based on new legistlation passed on sharing digital content such as rhapsody, etc.

Wouldn't surprise me if it were illegal in other states as well, regardless of what Sony's policy on it is.[/QUOTE]
fuck me.

*remembers you also live in TN*

fuck us.

[quote name='Buuhan1']fuck me.

*remembers you also live in TN*

fuck us.[/QUOTE]
You can probably find something on it- it was just passed the week that the PSN came back online. It didn't specifically mention PSN or anything. [EDIT - Here is a link to a story about it - http://www.revenews.com/brittraybould/tennessee-nixes-sharing-with-friends-and-family/ ]

I think the idea is to prevent people from using password generators and bots to exploit those services- they just wrote the law in such a way that it's VERY broad and can be used easily.

That sucks for TN.
I read something similar about netflix making it illegal to share accounts in a certain state but I forget where.

Well, I didn't receive a response from PSN about this deactivation thing so I'm planning on contacting them tomorrow. Hopefully they come through.

bread's done
Back