Game Tester

Matedawg11

CAGiversary!
Feedback
65 (99%)
I just wanted to know whether becoming a game tester is possible and if there is any legitimate way to do it. I know this might sound dumb or possibly even ignorant but I was really wondering how something like this could exist.

I think you have to just apply to the Game company in your area. They always need lots of testers, not sure of the requirements.

I have heard that it is an agonizingly boring job as all you do is play the same part of a level 50 times or whatever.

[quote name='kirby145']I think you have to just apply to the Game company in your area. They always need lots of testers, not sure of the requirements.

I have heard that it is an agonizingly boring job as all you do is play the same part of a level 50 times or whatever.[/QUOTE]

Oh man that kinda sucks :\ but anyway, how would you apply to local game companies??

[quote name='Matedawg11']Oh man that kinda sucks :\ but anyway, how would you apply to local game companies??[/QUOTE]

Probably with a resume.

I have been a playtester twice. Once for Microsoft and once for Monolith. If you are talking about just being a playtester then just google search "microsoft playtest" and apply. You can also find some developer studios near you and check if they have a playtest sign up link on their website or on their usual publisher's website. I went to Monolith's website and found a link for wb games playtesting.
Being a playtester you just test a game for an hour or two usually, fill out a questionaire, then they give you a free game or other software for your time. I got Forza 3 from Microsoft and FEAR 2 from Monolith.

If you are talking about being an actual tester for a job, then you need to know games inside and out first. I dont know how to apply for it as I've never looked it up, but google and probably ask.yahoo.com are your friends.

p.s. non-disclosure agreement keeps me from talking about the games I tested. So if you're curious, I wont tell.

I'm currently a game tester with Microsoft. Don't do it. You may think it's "fun" but it's not. "Playing games" for eight hours a day (without overtime) is not as good as it sounds.

Assuming you aren't dissuaded, how old are you? In addition, game test jobs are usually contracted, so you'll need to find a contract company wherever you are (another good question, where are you?).

a lot of places look for people with experience in the field. They also like if you send in a review of a game with an application.

Full-time game testing is a rough job. Unlike casual testing (such as open beta where you can generally run around and play the game at your leisure), full-time game testing goes more in-depth to a tedious degree. A real basic example is you could be assigned to test the layout of a zone; this may entail starting at square 1x1, moving to square 1x2, 1x3, et cetera, and your job would be to make sure that the world geometry is fine (ranging from finding invisible holes/barriers to noting glitchy textures that only occur at certain angles). Unlike casual testing where feedback is optional, you'll likely be required to write out detailed reports of bugs. Sometimes this type of job is part-time, but it could be full-time, meaning you better be able to sit in front of a computer for 8-hours a day and maintain focus. During crunch time before the actual release, you may be working overtime (60-80 hour weeks).

If you're trying to get an actual job in the field, you'll want to tout your analytical and communicative skills. As well, if you've ever tested previous games (as a casual tester, even), list those that you can (without breaching NDAs). If the company you're interested in is having an open-beta, get in and give proper feedback (unlike some people who just play around for the hell of it). Finally, if you get an interview, be prepared to give examples of well-made games you admire and why.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I'm not an industry person myself, but I have friends in the industry.

What Guerrilla says is all true

I was a game console tester (plz dont ask, NDA agreement) and all I did was press the eject button ALL DAY LONG for almost a year. What I had to do is write down how many times I pressed the eject button in a day and write it down a detail written report if it stuttered, failed, or any of the eject button wiring got fried.

You can say that was the most boring job in the world. But Im happy to know that my work enabled for many of you to get the damn best ejecting button in the gaming console industry. ^_^

Btw, I got my job thru a temp to hire job placement company. If you live on the west coast where most of the developer companies are located at, then call those entry level headhunters and ask if they staff for any gaming companies.

Its going to be a long and boring step into the gaming industry but most of the best game developers started out as testers. Good Luck!

I got a job through my local Craigslist. The company posted an ad, and I responded. I took a small quiz after the application process and then I interviewed. Got it and then started a few weeks later.

The job is pretty menial, and it gets really tedious. I was thrown into 48-hour work weeks to start with *Mon-Sat* and then three months in, 60-hour work weeks *Mon-Sat*, all on the Night Shift (as thats the typical shift that hires year round). Granted, it was my first job, but the hours were horrible. It was decent money, but not really for the amount of work invovled.

And most places will hire you as a TFT (Temp. Full Time) on a contract, which usually lasts for a project or for a few months or so, in which time they'll lay you off afterward. You can re-apply, but you need to sit out for an extended amount of time.

Not great work. Good people (for my old place), but the work was BS really.

i think by the 4th hour of that job i would've figured out a way to rig something up that would automatically open and close it over and over and count it...

i interviewed to be a tester some years ago. ended up not taking it because i got another job. but i went through a temp agency, not through the actual publishing company.

I put in for that microsoft tester someone posted. Said they were looking for anyone that plays games so as long as it is not something that they end up having me do for 40 hours a week I'm good. I'm cool with some questions for a chance to get a free game however doing this to get paid for from what I have always heard is a pain in the ass. I have friends that wanted to do this at some point and after I told them how I have read this stuff works they changed their minds real fast.

I done game testing for Capcom and I know people that done testing for EA, 2K games. It helps that I am near that HQ

I don't work in the games industry, but part of my job is overseeing a quality control team, and I can tell you that almost any type of QC work is tedious and boring. For rigorous game testing, you're there to test code, not concepts. I doubt it's very glamorous at all.

Speaking as someone that is currently a tester, I can say it is very tedious and can get pretty boring. You have to really love working on games if you want to work as a tester. However, it can also depend on where you work. If you work for the actual game developer rather than a publisher you have more say in the design when it comes to feedback for the game and have direct contact with the developers. Also, the people you work with make a huge difference. If you work with cool people, work is much more enjoyable.

bread's done
Back