Game & Wario

moothemagiccow

CAG Newbie
This is coming out in a few days, and reviews are really odd. Some hate the multiplayer games, some prefer the multiplayer games. Some say X is great and Y is bad, but others say Y is great and X is bad.

Any thoughts? It looks like a fun, simple game like Smooth Moves, but longer and more focused. It seems like a quick play game my wife would like

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on what I've seen so far it looks great. Nintendo minigame compilations always have mixed reviews because hack reviewers don't take the time to properly learn the controls/rules of every game, and it will ALWAYS get wrongly compared to Wii Sports.

Plus, this is the first Nintendo published retail release since the system launched...kinda starved for content right now.

Sometimes I find review styles odd, which is why reading the rating isn't always useful. I've seen reviews knock something because of the release date, because there are "better games out right now." Many compared it to WarioWare, which it's not, and many compared it to Nintendoland, which seemed more focused on pleasing "gamers" at times than being a pick up and play game.

I downloaded it this morning (secret midnight release) and so far it's resulted in me posting the following on miiverse:

COMMUNIST BABY

PENGUIN PARTY

PIRATE DOG

I played it at a friend's house and thought it was alright but kept thinking they should have just made this another straightfoward Warioware game the entire time IMO.

All the reviews say the same thing, and I get the confusion, but it's not a sequel, so adding sequel expectations to the review makes little sense. It's like saying it should've been more like Wario Land. "This game would've been great if it was completely different" is a dumb thing to say. I don't see why reviews don't judge the game on its own merits. Some said it's "six months too late" as if the release date affects the playability. Either way, Smooth Moves was over in 2 hours.

Too many people keep suggesting game-related words in Miiverse Sketch. I don't want to draw "gamecube controller" or "xbox fail."

Based on what I've seen so far it looks great. Nintendo minigame compilations always have mixed reviews because hack reviewers don't take the time to properly learn the controls/rules of every game, and it will ALWAYS get wrongly compared to Wii Sports.

Plus, this is the first Nintendo published retail release since the system launched...kinda starved for content right now.
Lego City Undercover was published by them....

All the reviews say the same thing, and I get the confusion, but it's not a sequel, so adding sequel expectations to the review makes little sense. It's like saying it should've been more like Wario Land. "This game would've been great if it was completely different" is a dumb thing to say. I don't see why reviews don't judge the game on its own merits. Some said it's "six months too late" as if the release date affects the playability. Either way, Smooth Moves was over in 2 hours.

Too many people keep suggesting game-related words in Miiverse Sketch. I don't want to draw "gamecube controller" or "xbox fail."
So do you like it or not? I can't tell from your posts thus far. I'm open to buying it, but I'd like to hear impressions from users rather than site reviews, if it's not too much trouble.

So do you like it or not? I can't tell from your posts thus far. I'm open to buying it, but I'd like to hear impressions from users rather than site reviews, if it's not too much trouble.
I'll jump in, since we spent all of yesterday afternoon/night playing it.

I think it's a solid collection if you can play it with multiple people. The best single player games (Gamer, Shutter and Taxi) are much easier/more fun to play if you have other people watching the TV for you, and all of the multiplayer games we played were aces (didn't get to try Disco or Islands yet). The presentation is top notch and is completely in line with the other WarioWare/Rhythm Heaven games. All of the controls are spot on and super fun...any "professional" reviewer who complained about them obviously ran through the game one time and skipped the tutorial screens.

I'd say if you can get a lot of use out of the local multiplayer, $40 is a damn fine deal for what's included, but if you're going to be playing alone I'd wait for $20 or less.

I like it. The game is hilarious, which is something you dont see often. My wife described the game as very japanese - funny yet bizarre. A couple minigames are stinkers - Islands is just boring. The graphics are really unique and the gamepad use is impressive, even for single player games.

Thanks for the impressions guys.  I think I'll hold off for now since I'm knee-deep in a couple of 3DS games and I've got SMTIV coming in a couple of weeks.  $20 sounds about right for this one.

I like it. The game is hilarious, which is something you dont see often. My wife described the game as very japanese - funny yet bizarre. A couple minigames are stinkers - Islands is just boring. The graphics are really unique and the gamepad use is impressive, even for single player games.
We had a blast with Islands, especially on the tippy tower stage. We had a full group of four though, so it got pretty chaotic.

Odd but I can't seem to find the retail release of this game at Best Buy. I went to my local Best Buy and saw no signs of it. Sold out? I'll try another Best Buy later today.

Islands is so much fun once you understand what's going on and really try to strategize how to play your fronks. I thought Fruit was fun too. Disco was a dud and Sketch is what it is. The single player stuff is fun and I give Nintendo credit for realizing this is not a $60 game. I think $20 would have been the sweet spot, but I have not been disappointed with the game. I would have been extremely impressed had Islands and Fruit had more stages to choose from. The content is very lacking but the game is still quite fun.

What is going on in Islands? I shoot some fronks onto a flat dartboard, and someone tries to shoot mine off.

Is there more to it than that? I think the pacing is what gets me. I also found Fruit way too hard, though the concept's interesting. Maybe more players would help.

Sketch is my favorite game - the suggestions are bonkers and anyone can play. I think the only improvement would be another team suggesting words, or pulling down the miiverse suggestions for multiplayer. The games are polarizing - maybe a Disco fan will pipe in now. 

3 Best Buy stores here in Houston and nothing!! According to a clerk at Best Buy, he states the game was never shipped to any of the stores around the city. WTF!?

I just picked this up at TRU. The clerk informed that they only received two copies and that I was the first to buy it.

That's... yeah, that's not great.

After spending some time with this game... I understand the lower review scores, but that doesn't change the fact that I'm having a fucking blast with this game. It really shines in multiplayer, but I'm even enjoying single player. To say that I got sucked into Patchwork is an understatement.

So, yeah, if you're on the fence... I really recommend giving this a shot. I was surprised by how much I ended up liking it.

Some of the mini-games are just awful.  To make matters worse, there aren't that many of them either.

This is not even DS level quality (as far as being creative and playable at the same time)...crappy attempt overall.

bread's done
Back