Gameboy Collection and Collectors

sonia1234321

CAG Veteran
I've recently experienced some revelating chemistry with the original Gameboy and Gameboy Color, so I've decided to start collecting for it. It really excites me because I love everything about the Gameboy: the shape, design, it's games, the sound of the cartridges being piled up on top of each other...

Though, one thing that's been disappointing is the lack of Gameboy collections/collectors online. I mean, there's a fair amount, but I feel like there should be more. Anyways, here's my fairly small collection:

• Super Mario Bros Deluxe (x2)
  • Yu-Gi-Oh Dark Duel Stories
  • Kirby's Dream Land
  • Battletoads
  • Donkey Kong Land
  • Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (with box)
  • Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
  • Pokemon Blue
  • Pokemon Red
  • Pokemon Crystal
  • Pokemon Gold (complete mint boxed!)
  • Wario Land 3 (complete mint boxed!)
  • Tetris Attack
  • Rampage 2: Universal Tour
Oh, and I also have a boxed Gameshark (with manuals) for the GBC!

Games currently on my want list are:

• Super Mario Land 1 & 2
  • Wario Land 1 & 2
  • Pokemon Silver, Yellow
  • the other Battletoads games
  • Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
  • Donkey Kong Country 1 & 2
  • the Megaman games
  • Metroid!
  • Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat
  • Bionic Commando
  • Paperboy
  • Crystalis

I've sent more than several offers to people on Kijiji and Craigslist for some of these... Now to play the waiting game....

I'm also going to be scoring a working Pikachu-edition GBC this weekend along with Pokemon Silver and some other games for about $10, so that should be good.

Oh, I almost forgot, the hardware currently on my want list are the Gameboy Light (especially!), and the Gameboy Pocket.

I'm wondering who else here collects for the original Gameboy and Gameboy color? Does anybody have any suggestions of good games I should add to my collection?:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Good news! My friend gave me his old transparent Gameboy Color today with Donkey Kong Land in it, so that's another to the collection! He says he has more, but he just has to find it. I hope he does :D

[quote name='kudegras']I collect all types of gameboy stuff. Check out my collection thread.[/QUOTE]

I know, I did. Great collection!:bouncy:

When i get a new gameboy, i usually place my old system in it's original box on my shelf. I've been doing this since the first gameboy.

Thats a great start to a collection there Sonia.:applause: I'll have to look through my stuff and post up what I have. I might even have an extra copy of Pokemon Yellow version if you still need a copy.

[quote name='sonia1234321']I've recently experienced some revelating chemistry with the original Gameboy and Gameboy Color, so I've decided to start collecting for it. It really excites me because I love everything about the Gameboy: the shape, design, it's games, the sound of the cartridges being piled up on top of each other...

Though, one thing that's been disappointing is the lack of Gameboy collections/collectors online. I mean, there's a fair amount, but I feel like there should be more. Anyways, here's my fairly small collection:

• Super Mario Bros Deluxe
  • Yu-Gi-Oh Dark Duel Stories
  • Kirby's Dream Land
  • Battletoads
  • Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (with box)
  • Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
  • Pokemon Blue
  • Pokemon Red
  • Pokemon Gold (complete mint boxed!)
  • Wario Land 3 (complete mint boxed!)
  • Tetris Attack
Oh, and I also have a boxed Gameshark (with manuals) for the GBC!

Games currently on my want list are:

• Super Mario Land 1 & 2
  • Wario Land 1 & 2
  • Pokemon Silver, Yellow, Crystal
  • the other Battletoads games
  • Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
  • Donkey Kong Country 1 & 2
  • the Megaman games
  • Metroid!
  • Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat
  • Bionic Commando
  • Paperboy
  • Crystalis

I've sent more than several offers to people on Kijiji and Craigslist for some of these... Now to play the waiting game....

I'm also going to be scoring a working Pikachu-edition GBC this weekend along with Pokemon Silver and some other games for about $10, so that should be good.

Oh, I almost forgot, the hardware currently on my want list are the Gameboy Light (especially!), and the Gameboy Pocket.

I'm wondering who else here collects for the original Gameboy and Gameboy color? Does anybody have any suggestions of good games I should add to my collection?:)[/QUOTE]

Nice. I've started collecting gameboy and have about 60 games or so. I do have some nice ones like Dragon Warrior 3, Zelda Links Awakening, Zelda Oracle of Seasons/Ages Kid Icarus, Megaman, Double Dragons and so forth. IT's a really cool piece of small history that has all the main franchises too.

I think some people shy away from collecting Gameboy stuff because there is sooooo much of it (colors and what not).

But I agree, it is a really cool thing to collect. I actually found a CIB sealed copy of Jurassic Park for the original gameboy. I'm probably the only one who wanted it, so I bought it.

Everything from the boxes to the cartridges bring back memories.

I suggest that you pick up Kirby's Dream Land 2. It was actually a lot more than than the original, and it was the first to introduce the animals.

And how do you own a Gameboy and not own the original Tetris. How is that possible?

Anyway, good luck!

Thanks for all the replies guys!

Yeah, I used to have Tetris somewhere, but I think I lost it... Oh, and Pokemon Yellow would be sick! I'm also looking for Kirby's Dream Land 2.

In the past week, I've picked up another Super Mario Bros Deluxe, Pokemon Crystal, and Rampage 2, all from a generous friend :)

I'm also going to be picking up a Limited Edition Pikachu Yellow GBC with Pokemon Silver, Hamtaro, Prince of Persia, Mario Land (don't know which version), Yoshi (don't know which version), Donkey Kong Country, and Hello Kitty, all for a pretty appealing price sometime this weekend.

[quote name='DrMunkee']

Everything from the boxes to the cartridges bring back memories.[/QUOTE]

That's one of the biggest issues with trying to get GB/GBC games for me... almost nobody kept their boxes/manuals for GB/GBC games. It's really hard to find games that are complete and in good shape. I got 50+ complete GBA games but in the 2-3 years I've started hunting GB/GBC games, I only have ~13 GB/GBC.

I had more as a kid but I stupidly got traded them in for newer games and whatnot.

I would recommend the following original game boy games:

- Kid Icarus
- Kwirk
- RC Pro Am
- Kirby's Pinball Land
- Castlevania: Belmont's Revenge

I went lurking around town today, and managed to pick up the following:

-GameBoy Camera
-Pokemon TCG
-Perfect Dark (with rumble!)

I'm not sure how to get the rumble working on Perfect Dark though... I'll have to look into that. The DJ minigame on the GB camera rocks! I'm also about to start playing the Pokemon game... Heard a lot of good things about that one (also hear that many want a sequel).

For GB, GBC, and GBA, I have about 300 titles with box and manual. A lot of them are junk titles, but I've got some nice ones in there. One of these days when I get rich I want to get all of the desireable titles complete-- for now I've got most of them cart only.

Yeah, it's quite difficult to find complete Gameboy games though... Though I did manage to find a complete copy of Super Mario Land yesterday, which is great because it was one of the top games I was looking for! :) I also picked up Space Invaders, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3, Yoshi's Cookie, and Mortal Kombat 2.

Now hopefully this deal I found on Craigslist for Balloon Boy and Metroid 2 will work out so I could as those to my collection as well...

Gameboy collecting is really tough since there are a huge number of different titles, and many of them are very hard to find. Gameboy games were produced in much smaller numbers than their console counterparts, and the fact that they were frequently lost, or misplaced, or thrown away by their owners make them even more difficult to find. Of all the different video game related items I come across in thrift stores and at tag sales, I think I see Gameboy related items the least.

I just passed up a boxed original gameboy for 10.... after checking some auctions I may go back and pick it up. Hopefully I get a discount as I bought a sega cd/32x/sega + games for 25 but the cd needs a replaced fuse :(.

But to contribute to this thread. Many of the old games had their charm, but as time goes on, I find it hard to play many old games that I used to appreciate :(. I have nightmares from getting beat down in Gargoyle's quest :(. And past regrets of choosing Play Action Football over one of the Final Fantasys.

In addition to the in house titles.. I'd like to toss out Dragon Ball Z: Legendary Super Warriors, Gargoyle's quest, Kwirk, and surprisingly the KOF titles, as being enjoyable...at least for an hour or 2 :p

I have a clear Gameboy 1st GEN. I collect gameboy titles but as far as the original gameboy, I have these games: Final Fantasy Adventure, Tetris, Tetris 2, Zelda: Links Awakening and a blue Gameboy Camera (I have pics up on my CAG profile). Good luck on collecting CAG Sonia.

Thanks 200STM! Also yeah, you should definitely pick up that boxed Gameboy, Theeternal.

I just ordered a bunch of games online... Can't wait for them to arrive! The games are:

-Pokemon Pinball
-Kirby's Pinball Land
-Super Mario Land 2
-Baseball
-Nemesis
-Paperboy
-Metroid 2
-Mega Man: Dr Wily's Revenge
-Double Dragon
-Gargoyle's Quest (heard a lot of good things about this one!)
-TMNT: Fall of the Foot Clan

The next games I'd like to pick up are Crystalis, Donkey Kong '94, Kid Dracula, Adventure Island, and pretty much all the sequels to the games I already have (especially Kirby's Dream Land 2, Wario Land 1 & 2, Donkey Kong Land 2 & 3, moar Battletoads, and all the Mega Man's). Anybody have other recommendations?

As others have stated , GB game collecting can be very difficult do to the large number of titles , and in turn the difficulty of sorting the good from the bad (the old joke the 75% of all GB games are rubbish). For Original GB games my collection is pretty small , as many of them had when I was younger either got sold/traded/lost/whatever. My GBC collection is a bit bigger since I started getting them when I had actual income available to spend (albeit not very much). My GBA and DS game collections are huge , but thats not the topic of discussion here.;)

Back to the GB games , I've actually not been trying that hard to track down any games I'm interested in , due to hearing that nintendo is supposed to be doing a GB Virtual Console for the 3DS I'm hoping that a lot of the games I never got the chance to find or play (Metroid 2!) will become available , but I'm completely ready to get disappointed once again.:cry:

Ahem , games that are good that I didn't see mentioned already:
[Original GB games]
Game and Watch Collections 1-3
Final Fantasy Legend 1-3 and Adventure
Revelations : The Demon Slayer (offshoot of the Shin Megami Tensei series)
Dig Dug (surprisingly good port with long "quest" mode)

[Game Boy Color Games]
Warlocked (good RTS style game)
Magi Nation (Trading Card themed video game)
Lufia : The Legend Returns (not as good as its SNES predecessors but still decent)
Mario Tennis and Golf (especially if you have the N64 versions with Transfer Pack)
Metal Gear Solid

bread's done
Back