GameBoy MICRO Discussion Thread

Everything on Nintendo is just smaller and smaller. Sure it may be convinent, but think of the gaming. From what I've seen the SP is the greatest portable ever. Sure it maybe not have MP3 or movies on it like PSP, but I prefer that kinda stuff to just stick on its original purpose: to play games on.. with a convinent sense. This is small and nice and all I guess, but don't make everyone go blind. I'll wait also for an SP price drop.. hopefully.

it sure is purty, but I already have both the Advance and SP, and will eventually get a DS. Why would I need this thing. I really don't understand the logic behind putting out a new version of an outdated system that they'll prolly stop making games for pretty soon

[quote name='rywateska']If it's that small then there is no reason why it should be expensive.[/QUOTE]

Really? The smaller things get, the more expensive it is. This isn't the 80s, man.

I like the SP more so far. I don't own a SP yet, but comparing them, this one doesn't look that great. Unless I get this GBA Micro on the cheap, I don't plan on ever really getting one. I never thought there was an image problem with the GBASP so I don't understand what need there is for this one. IMO, the GBASP looks fine and reminds me of a cell phone. Hopefully this one comes out at $80-100 so they'll drop the price on the SP to $50 so I can pick one up.

Meh. I can see why some might like it, but me? I was worried that I wasted my $80 when I bought a GBA SP last year, now I'm happy I did.

They should just release a gameboy that has a built in mp3 player that allows you to simultaneously listen to music, and hear a game's sound effects/music/etc. THAT would be cool =)

82821f02-4142-4401-bcb2-a3bb122cc86f.jpg
Bigger pic...

[quote name='2poor']is that the volume switch on the lower left corner?[/QUOTE]

I bet that's the brightness switch. They said we'd be able to control how bright the screen is.

I agree with most of you guys about picking it up at $50. However, I really agree with pumbaa that it would be great to always be able to carry this thing around. I mean, if the PSP were this small, it would always be in my pocket, or the ds for that matter. But, the fact is they aren't. I traded in my SP for a DS but now I don't really have a portable I can throw in my pocket. This is good news for me although I wish they had announced a new Gameboy with GC graphics :(.

Screw price...i'd be worried about being able to see the action. This just seems like a waste of nintendo's energy.

A few points few people noticed.
* This would show thrid parties there is still support for GBA. This is a huge plus for those that dont have a DS or PSP.
* As long as the screen size is same or bigger than the gameboy color I am buying one. The GBC has a smaller screen and it is still playable.

Give Nintendo some credit... at least its not a Virtual Boy. OTOH, being too conservative with their projects might hurt them as well.

[quote name='javeryh']This thing looks super SWEET! If they can hit $50-$60 with this then I'm sold. Anyone know if the screen is going to be the same size as the original one?[/QUOTE]

The text you quoted confirms a 2" screen, which is significantly smaller than the current GBAs.

I love Nintendo but GBA, GBA Player, GBA SP, Nintendo DS, and now the MICRO? How many times does the consumer need to buy a system that plays GBA games? I only have had the GBA and DS but I know people who have had or still have all of the afore mentioned systems. This will tank unless its 60 dollars or less.

Well, if the resolution stays the same there shouldn't be any problem viewing it.

It would be smaller but sharper.

Like watching movies on the PSP instead of the TV.

This is the worst move Nintendo could make with the new GBA. Whatever happened to the GBA successor? This is just an extremely useless downgrade to an already proven handheld, the GBA SP. Why would they do this?

This sucks for me, I was finally going to buy a GBA SP when I got the cash, but now I want to wait for this GBA, since it looks so secksay.

EDIT: Yep, I still have a santa hat on my avatar 5 months after christmas.

This would be great for in class. Its kind of hard to hide the SP and not look obvious. It will be mine if its less than $50.

[quote name='Tom']This sucks for me, I was finally going to buy a GBA SP when I got the cash, but now I want to wait for this GBA, since it looks so secksay.

EDIT: Yep, I still have a santa hat on my avatar 5 months after christmas.[/QUOTE]I don't know. The SP is still only $80, brand new. I certainly haven't regretted my SP purchase over a year ago, and this looks like it'll actually be inferior.

why does everyone think it would be smart for them to come out with a new GBA?

I just want to know how people think they could work on two consoles and three handhelds?

Everyone seems to forget exactly how long the original GameBoy lasted... it defied normal console cycles and went through at least 3 itenerations (GB, GB:p, GB:Light in Japan, GBC could be considered part of the GB line as well). I'm pretty sure the GBA is here to stay for the long haul. Especially if thing sells well... that'll send a pretty nice signal to developers that the GBA brand still has legs.

With no real understanding or experience in pricing, I'd be surprised to see this go higher than $30-$40. I think what they want to do is make GBA even more accessible to defend against the PSP's potential market share. Sony has a *long* way to go.

This will, hypothetically, create a small cost of entry into portable gaming; by the look of it, I can't tell if they're going after an older crowd (traditionally outside the range of GBA users) or a younger crowd (y'know, small people and all).

It will keep GBA titles selling like hotcakes for awhile, as if it needed any help.

myke.
...if they bring the play-yan stateside, you can use memory cards to watch movies on the thing (yeah, small screen, I know).

I was thinking about it and this is actually a good move for nintendo... I mean Sony has the interest of most people looking for a handheld right now, at least in America. The only way Nintendo will continue selling more than Sony is through their loyal fans and appealing to a wider audience. Since sony has the same things to think about, they made a system with movie, picture, internet, etc. So all the techies are happy. But the average person, who is not obsessed with videogames, might want a small, cheap system, like this one, and would readily pick it up at a good price. So, Nintendo gets new customers, has the DS which can battle out with the PSP, and comes out with something spiffy.

[quote name='mykevermin']With no real understanding or experience in pricing, I'd be surprised to see this go higher than $30-$40. I think what they want to do is make GBA even more accessible to defend against the PSP's potential market share. Sony has a *long* way to go.

This will, hypothetically, create a small cost of entry into portable gaming; by the look of it, I can't tell if they're going after an older crowd (traditionally outside the range of GBA users) or a younger crowd (y'know, small people and all).

It will keep GBA titles selling like hotcakes for awhile, as if it needed any help.

myke.
...if they bring the play-yan stateside, you can use memory cards to watch movies on the thing (yeah, small screen, I know).[/QUOTE]

Sorry i just posted the same thing, sort of, while you were. Oh well :).

[quote name='clockworkvictim']Sorry i just posted the same thing, sort of, while you were. Oh well :).[/QUOTE]

Y'know...great minds and all.

I'll actually buy this if this places the old gbc and gba games, and is $30 or less.

At $30 Nintendo could reach EVERYONE who has ANY interest in gaming whatsoever.

Although yeah this isn't exactly the best thing on earth, thank god it wasnt a whole new handheld already, save that for another two years.

This is good news for me. I bought a used SP a while back but never really played it. So my brother uses it even though he has a regular GBA. But now I'm starting to get some games for the SP and I was looking into getting him an SP so I could use mine. Hopefully I'll be able to get an SP for cheap because of this.

no doubt that it's the second-grader's bling, bling, in the playground.

"wanna play pokem.... wait, i can't play with you. you have a sp, hahahaha."

This is good because you get to play all the old GB & GBC games on a nicer screen since the DS does not play those games. I will buy one when they hit under 50.

May 17, 2005 - Nintendo Executive Vice-President of Sales and Marketing Reggie Fils-Aime surprised an engaged audience by slipping his hand into his jacket pocket and revealing...a tiny device he calls the Game Boy Micro. Though we've heard rumors that Nintendo was once again retooling the Game Boy Advance to be sleeker and brighter, what Reggie whipped out was the first revelation of the unit, and not exactly what we were expecting. But after seeing it in-hand, I want one.

After the press conference, I was given the opportunity to hold the unit in my own hand. The Game Boy Micro is indeed a tiny device. The dimensions are very wee -- four inches wide, two inches tall, and not even an inch thick. It abandons the cool and clever clamshell design of the Game Boy Advance SP in favor of a much more minimal gaming presentation. The unit's more like a cellphone in size and weight, and it just looks so damn cool.

The cartridges plug into the bottom of the unit, much like the GBA SP does. The cartridge port is slightly off-set to the left side of the unit, making room for the headphone port on the right. That's another big deal: instead of the proprietary headphone port of the GBA SP, the Game Boy Micro uses standard 1/8" headphones. On the top of the unit between the L and R buttons, the system has an EXT port that will be used for charging the internal battery as well as provide a plug-in for the link cable dongle that will be made for the unit. The EXT port is proprietary to the Game Boy Micro, looking similar to plug-in ports for a cellphone.

The start and select buttons are on the bottom edge of the unit, and they will light up a cool blue when powering on the system. The A and B action buttons, as well as the D-pad, are no longer the "clicky" style of the GBA SP, instead going back to a more softer feeling of standard D-pad and action button feedback.

Along with the small size comes a smaller screen than the Game Boy Advance and Game Boy Advance SP system. The LCD screen is far, far more bright and vibrant than the GBA SP system, more in line with the backlight technology of the Nintendo DS system. GBA games are definitely much more vivid in light and color on the device, and text is completely legible even at the slightly smaller size.

The system is surprisingly comfortable to hold, though it's made more for portability than it is for ergonomics. It goes back to the days of the original Game Boy Advance design that allows for players hands to spread out a little more than the GBA SP's more "cramped" configuration.

Nintendo did not reveal price or specific release date beyond the "Fall 2005" window, nor did it reveal possible features such as wireless or GameCube connectivity. We were expecting the possible announcement of the ability to play MP3 files, but this wasn't mentioned or commented on by Nintendo.

We'll have more on the Game Boy Micro as the show progresses.

http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/615/615202p1.html

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']May 17, 2005 - Nintendo Executive Vice-President of Sales and Marketing Reggie Fils-Aime surprised an engaged audience by slipping his hand into his jacket pocket and revealing...a tiny device he calls the Game Boy Micro. Though we've heard rumors that Nintendo was once again retooling the Game Boy Advance to be sleeker and brighter, what Reggie whipped out was the first revelation of the unit, and not exactly what we were expecting. But after seeing it in-hand, I want one.

After the press conference, I was given the opportunity to hold the unit in my own hand. The Game Boy Micro is indeed a tiny device. The dimensions are very wee -- four inches wide, two inches tall, and not even an inch thick. It abandons the cool and clever clamshell design of the Game Boy Advance SP in favor of a much more minimal gaming presentation. The unit's more like a cellphone in size and weight, and it just looks so damn cool.

The cartridges plug into the bottom of the unit, much like the GBA SP does. The cartridge port is slightly off-set to the left side of the unit, making room for the headphone port on the right. That's another big deal: instead of the proprietary headphone port of the GBA SP, the Game Boy Micro uses standard 1/8" headphones. On the top of the unit between the L and R buttons, the system has an EXT port that will be used for charging the internal battery as well as provide a plug-in for the link cable dongle that will be made for the unit. The EXT port is proprietary to the Game Boy Micro, looking similar to plug-in ports for a cellphone.

The start and select buttons are on the bottom edge of the unit, and they will light up a cool blue when powering on the system. The A and B action buttons, as well as the D-pad, are no longer the "clicky" style of the GBA SP, instead going back to a more softer feeling of standard D-pad and action button feedback.

Along with the small size comes a smaller screen than the Game Boy Advance and Game Boy Advance SP system. The LCD screen is far, far more bright and vibrant than the GBA SP system, more in line with the backlight technology of the Nintendo DS system. GBA games are definitely much more vivid in light and color on the device, and text is completely legible even at the slightly smaller size.

The system is surprisingly comfortable to hold, though it's made more for portability than it is for ergonomics. It goes back to the days of the original Game Boy Advance design that allows for players hands to spread out a little more than the GBA SP's more "cramped" configuration.

Nintendo did not reveal price or specific release date beyond the "Fall 2005" window, nor did it reveal possible features such as wireless or GameCube connectivity. We were expecting the possible announcement of the ability to play MP3 files, but this wasn't mentioned or commented on by Nintendo.

We'll have more on the Game Boy Micro as the show progresses.

http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/615/615202p1.html[/QUOTE]

I was pretty unsure about this but I love things to be very small and portable. After reading this I think I'm getting one. I thought the SP was great and although I love the DS and the PSP they are a bit on the big side of things. This will be great to bring everywhere. I'm psyched the screen will be backlight. Damn you Nintendo!!!

Like many of you, I’m fairly interested if the price is right. My problem with the PSP and DS is that both units are far less convenient to carry around than my old SP—they’re both a little on the bulky side for my taste, but that’s the price I pay for the expanded features. If they drop this thing in at a 30 or 40 dollar price point, I may well bite.

A smaller, more versatile version of the GBA that I can drop in my pocket is a good start, now if they can assure me that my screen will be protected and flaunt a new feature or two (the touted MP3 playback is a start) for a nice price I’m sold.

The way I see it, at least Nintendo is sticking to their guns about the DS being a third-tier device. The GBA has a strong following because it’s a solid system with a huge library. If they have to put out a new iteration of the GBA to assure that they’ll continue to support it with new content, then so be it.

I wouldn't mind if the GBA stayed Nintendo's main handheld for another decade, it is awesome, easy to develop for, and has more good games than any other system or handheld in the history of earth.

[quote name='Quackzilla']I wouldn't mind if the GBA stayed Nintendo's main handheld for another decade, it is awesome, easy to develop for, and has more good games than any other system or handheld in the history of earth.[/QUOTE]

I've gotta say I still have more fun with Fire Emblem than with, say, Wipeoout Pure. The GBA has a simple charm to it. Hell, I've got two GBAs, an import SP, a GBA Player, and one of my main reasons for picking up a DS was the GBA support.

The more I see the Micro, the more I like it. I like the size. I like the face plates. I like the tiny, bright screen. I like the NES controller look.

I've heard a lot of talk around asking who this new GBA is for, about what kind of crazy bastard needs another GBA. I guess, when you get down to it, I am that crazy bastard. ;)

bread's done
Back