Gamecube component cables

ne2eire

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Sort of desperate for these now. Nintendo.com has been back ordered for ages and I really want to play games in progress on our DLP. If anyone can provide alternative places to buy these cables it would be appreciated. Thanks

edit: $35 on lik-sang.com (someone on another forum just posted), any place cheaper?

[quote name='ngamer007']Back in December they were going on ebay for around $90 sealed. :| People are so stupid.[/QUOTE]

Some people have more money than time. If I had all the money in the world, perhaps $90 for a sealed set of component cables wouldn't seem so bad.

So much for sealed, I ordered a brand new pair from Nintendo's store but they sent me one in a cheapo baggy. Plus, it's starting to go crazy on me...

I ordered mine around Feb and received it by the end of March. If you're desperate, $35 form Lik-Sang or Play Asia isn't bad.

I ordered mine from nintendo around Jan or Feb and could never tell any difference. I was playing RE4 on an HD LCD TV. Bought some Monster cables for my PS2 and cant tell any thing with them also. So I don't know if its me or the games don't suport it.

I just got an HDTV and looked into getting a set of cables only to find that Nintendo dropped support for 480p so the Gamecube I got for christmas doesn't have the proper connector port on the back. Damn Nintendo!

[quote name='sendme']I ordered mine from nintendo around Jan or Feb and could never tell any difference. I was playing RE4 on an HD LCD TV. Bought some Monster cables for my PS2 and cant tell any thing with them also. So I don't know if its me or the games don't suport it.[/QUOTE]

For gamecube you have to hold down b while the game is booting. Then it will ask you if you want to run in progressive scan and you should pick yes (you have to do this every time you turn on the console). If it doesn't ask you when you hold b then the game doesn't support it.

Maybe that is why you don't see a difference (because you aren't enabling progressive scan).

[quote name='peteloaf']I just got an HDTV and looked into getting a set of cables only to find that Nintendo dropped support for 480p so the Gamecube I got for christmas doesn't have the proper connector port on the back. Damn Nintendo![/QUOTE]

Yeah they claimed it was cutting into their production costs or something. Shame since I've never seen a console with so many progressive scan games.

[quote name='chunk']For gamecube you have to hold down b while the game is booting. Then it will ask you if you want to run in progressive scan and you should pick yes (you have to do this every time you turn on the console). If it doesn't ask you when you hold b then the game doesn't support it.

Maybe that is why you don't see a difference (because you aren't enabling progressive scan).[/QUOTE]

seriously? you have to hold B to enable it? thats stupid you would think its a menu option!!! but this is real i guess huh?

i cant believe nintendo did away with better cable support for the newer gen NGC's and not allowing progressive scan

[quote name='peteloaf']I just got an HDTV and looked into getting a set of cables only to find that Nintendo dropped support for 480p so the Gamecube I got for christmas doesn't have the proper connector port on the back. Damn Nintendo![/QUOTE]

Loaf, depending how attached you are to that particular Gamecube (and how down you are about refurbs), you can send it to Nintendo and exchange it for a component-enabled refurb.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/nintendogamecube/component_faq.jsp

[quote name='fieldkillah']You only have to hold b once for one game, after enabling one game all progressive enabled games will ask you without holding b.[/QUOTE]
Are you sure about that? I was under the impression that you had to hold B every time. I guess I'll try it.
The Cube actually has quite a few titles that support 480p. I had gotten so used to it, in fact, that I was darn surprised that Tales of Symphonia did not.

[quote name='ne2eire']Yeah they claimed it was cutting into their production costs or something. Shame since I've never seen a console with so many progressive scan games.[/QUOTE]

Oh yes you have. Not only the same, but more. ;-)

xbox-new.jpg

Whether or not you have to hold B depends on the game. After playing numerous 480p titles, RE 4 never flicked over for me, so I assumed it wasn't. However going back I realized it was and I played through my third time with that option enabled. I never noticed a major difference on that particular title though. Some games like Enter the Matrix and I-Ninja are immediately noticeable, but sometimes you may not notice the difference right away.

I think it's more dependant on the GC... As soon as I got my component cables and started up a game while holding 'b', it asked me of I wanted to enable progressive scan. I selected yes and since that time, I've never been asked whether I want progressive scan enabled/disabled unless I hold the 'b'.

[quote name='fieldkillah']You only have to hold b once for one game, after enabling one game all progressive enabled games will ask you without holding b.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I think it depends on your tv (and also possibly the game). When I use my cube on one tv then I only need to do it once, but when I use it on another I have to do it on every boot.

In any case, if it doesn't ask you then you know for sure you're not running in proscan.

[quote name='supadupacheap']Oh yes you have. Not only the same, but more. ;-)
[/QUOTE]

Pfft, this one supports even more than that:
Dc1.jpg

xbox-new.jpg
[/QUOTE]

There are some multiplatform games that support progressive scan on gamecube but not on xbox. Need for Speed Underground is a good example of this. I was planning on getting the XBox version till I noticed that the gamecube version supports it and the XBox doesn't.

xbox-new.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Meh I never considered the Xbox to be a console, and theres all of 1 exclusive game that actually interests me (PGR)

I picked up Baten Kaitos yesterday (used at Gamecrazy for $15!) and decided to test this. I turned on the Cube, and, sure enough, it automatically asked me if I wanted to enable progressive scan. Pretty cool.

You people must be blind. To me progressive scan is like night and day when it is enabled. I get annoyed when a game doesn't support it and I expect all three next-gen consoles to support 16x9 and 720p on ALL games...

[quote name='seanw']Loaf, depending how attached you are to that particular Gamecube (and how down you are about refurbs), you can send it to Nintendo and exchange it for a component-enabled refurb.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/nintendogamecube/component_faq.jsp[/QUOTE]

Thanks a bunch! I just got off the phone with Nintendo and got it all set up! The cool part is not only does the refurb come with a warranty, but Nintendo will pay for the shipping!!!

BTW the tech said a new shipment of component cables is scheduled for June!!!

Nintendo should make the component cables available at retail, duh.

Here's a good game to try out those HD, widescreen, and progressive scan features: Soul Calibur II. First set it to 4:3 mode and use those component cables, but do not enable progressive scan. Take note of battle arena width, and during the high score auto-display, freeze frame and look closely at a character portrait.

Now, set your HD TV to 16:9 and enable progressive scan on the GC. In SCII, go to options and change the in-game setting to widescreen. Notice a wider battle arena display, and during the high score auto-display, freeze frame and you'll notice the same character portrait is shown in greater detail.

HD and progressive scan IS day and night when playing video games. I wished all games fully utilized these great features!

bread's done
Back