Gamecube Import Coverart project?

thealternakid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Hey guys,
I was working on completing my GBA to DS case project when i noticed how odd my handful of import gamecube games look. I realized that with the low cost of buying the cases straight from nintendo (instead of dumpster diving behind blockbuster every tuesday) i started a project and am just about done.

I have been trying out a lot of different resolutions and such to find the best way of doing this but would like some help from you all.
I posted over on Snackbar games, which is here
http://www.snackbar-games.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=117229#117229

Anyways
I have the following game cases done in 1200 dpi if anyone is interested.

Action Replay (US)
Action Replay Max Drive (US)
Baten Kaitos Disc 1 (JPN) Each disc has it's own seperate cover art
Baten Kaitos Disc 2 (JPN)
Donkey Kong Jungle Beat (JPN) this one i am very pleased with
Doshin the Giant (Pal)
F-Zero GX (JPN)
Giftpia (JPN)
Gundam Pilots Locus (JPN)
Legend of Golfer (JPN)
Legend of Zelda Collectors Edition alt cover (US)
Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time/Master Quest Alt cover (US)
Luigi's Mansion (JPN)
Nintendo Puzzle Collection (JPN)
Memory Card 59 (US)
Memory Card 59 (JPN)
Memory Card 59 Animal Crossing Version (US)
Memory Card 251 (US)
Pikmin (JPN)
Super Mario Sunshine (JPN)

Any interest in either helping me make these look the best, or anyone want em, let me know
Later

Very cool. I don't have any Photoshop software, knowledge or skill, so I'm probably not going to be able to help you, but I do have some (different) Jap software that I want to make cases for. I'm assuming you used Photoshop?

Yeah i got a copy of photoshop for school a couple years back, at this point it is rather old, but it gets the job done.
and yeah if you have the ability to scan in front and backs on Gamecube JPN boxes that would rule. The way i have it set up is the english sidepanel and the front get scanned in and then the back and the japanese sidepanel on another image.

I might be able to help, as I've been making some custom covers for the N64 project. Send me the Nintendo Puzzle Collection scan to see if it's better than my NPC scan.

did you want the 1200dpi version or the 300dpi? i have both at home and i have been currently working on getting a good template working. I have cleaned up a 300dpi scan from a super smash brothers cover and cut out everything but the side panel and the "only for" nintendo gamecube logo at the top. When i get off work tonight, i will send which ever version you want.

[quote name='thealternakid']did you want the 1200dpi version or the 300dpi? i have both at home and i have been currently working on getting a good template working. I have cleaned up a 300dpi scan from a super smash brothers cover and cut out everything but the side panel and the "only for" nintendo gamecube logo at the top. When i get off work tonight, i will send which ever version you want.[/QUOTE]
I'd rather have one with more resolution, but 1200 is way too much, if you can make a 600 DPI one, I'll take that.

Also, send in some more covers, so that we can start a project.

If 600dpi is the best resolution to use, i can rescan all of the ones that i have already completed and will send at least the nintendo puzzle collection cover.

I would like to complete at least all the first party games because i would like to at least get all of them to round out my gamecube collection. I am always checking ebay for some cheap imports and will add as many covers as i can get ahold of.
I can also start hosting all of the completed images or if we can get the snackbar guys involved they could as well

if anyone wants to start i can send them my refined template.

oh and banpeikun, as soon as i get them, i will post them

I'm willing to help by putting together all the covers, but I also want to request that we only make covers for Japanese games, as these can be used for piracy. And I don't want to contribute to the dark side :(

Oh i guess i didn't even think of the piracy aspect, I can remove the american games like my alternate covers for the Legend of Zelda games if that would be better. I just made them as i didn't think that the original collectors edition and the orcarina of time cover fit well, but would be happy to remove them from the list.
The only non-japanese cover that i would like to keep up is the Doshin the Giant Pal version as i assume that if anyone imported it, it would look out of place on a shelf with other cube games. The pal versions have the side panel with the gamecube logo at the top instead of the bottom as the US version do.
but if we only want to do Jpn only i can dig it as well
Hopefully I can get some hosting from either snackbar or from my personal Ftp site set up tonight so that everyone can see what i have done with the covers so far.
As far as the piracy aspect is concerned. I also do not want to help the dark side and wish that anyone using any covers from this project, only use them on original games. Support the Big N!

hmm, sounds interesting. I have naruto: gekitou ninja taisen 2, 3, and 4 and bleach: tasogare ni mamieru shinigami. I can scan those if you like.

luckily DS import game cases are the same size.

I finished both the donkey konga jungle beat and the nintendo puzzle collection at 600dpi tonight
I will see if i can get my hosting up to show these to you all to see what you think

I will have to check that once i get home, what i have been doing is enlarging the actual jpn coverart. I am also removing the blue bars at the bottom. Once i join that site, i will upload my covers so that you can check them out.

How did you make the NPC scan look so beautiful? Can you give me the raw? It looks way better than mine because of the colors. I like to have them without the American GameCube tag.

Another thing, did you use a lot of cloning to cover the Japanese GameCube tag at the top of the front part of the cover that's under the American GameCube tag?

I can add the raw scans but they are like 40mb a piece. I scanned them in at 600dpi and then i added a tiny bit of cloning at the top and a whole two rows at the bottom. Did you want the pal version of the top logo? i have a copy of that that i can add (cause i have the pal version of Doshin.)
I am going to upload all the raw scans to my ftp site and will give you the info as soon as it is set up.

[quote name='thealternakid']Did you want the pal version of the top logo?[/QUOTE]
No, I just want the raw scan without anything added to it, but maybe if you used 300 DPI it would be a smaller file. Use that, I think I was being too obsessive when I wanted the 600 DPI scan anyway.

I have the scans here at work, I can see if i have any 300dpi ones.
I will edit this with my box.net link for the scans.

Edit, I spoke too soon, I just checked my disc and the only 300dpi files i have are for f-zero. I can rescan them tonight and add them to my box.net.

Also do you want me to include the reworked scans, with the cloned sections, or just the actual jpn boxart.

Last but not least, I just got five JPN games for 23 shipped from ebay so i will have the following scans soon.

Legend of Zelda Wind Waker
Phantasy Star Online Ep 3
Bomberman Land 2 (Hudson Classic)
Star Fox Adventures
Dobutsu Bancho (cubivore)

bread's done
Back