Gamecube to Game Boy Micro Cable - Instructions in here

Hey there Troz! Like many other folks, I signed up just for the cable.

Dumb question here, but this cable will enable me to hook up my Micro to my Gamecube with Animal Crossing, to transfer Super Mario Brothers so I can play it on the Micro on the go, right? I can currently play it directly on the GC - I bought a memory card from somebody that had an ActionReplay, I think, along with all the other NES carts on Animal Crossing. That's actually the reason I bought Animal Crossing in the first place, so my wife can play the only game she's ever enjoyed - SMB1.

If that's what this cable does, I'm in! Let me know how to pay (Paypal, right?), how much, and when. BTW, I live in SoCal also (La Mirada, just south of Whittier), and could drive by to pick up/pay cash if it would be easier for you.

Thanks for your work on this!

Maybe someone else with Animal Crossing can chime in here regarding the NES games. If it works with the standard GC->GBA cable then it will work with this one.

And speaking of SMB1... That was the only game my wife liked too, until I got her to play NSMB on the DS. She's hooked on that now and has finally made it to the last level in the game!

I'm in Valencia so shipping would actually be cheaper than having you drive to pick it up, plus I don't have any right now. It'll be a few weeks before I can get some more completed. I'll add you to the list for the next batch.

Well, if you read my eariler post, I did confirm that this cable worked with Animal Crossing for the e-Reader at the eTM and with Animal Island... However, I did not test Advance Play.

Just now tried it using Super Mario Bros. and my micro, along with this glorious cable and it worked perfect.

Thanks Troz. I got mine today as well. Looks and feels like an official cable and works like a charm. Nice job!

Thanks Troz. I got mine today as well. Looks and feels like an official cable and works like a charm. Nice job!

Got mine in today.

Being the pilot tester from the first batch, I am again floored by this man's work. This new cable is absolutely beautiful and looks professional in every possible manner. It's clean, sturdy, everything.

Thank you Troz, Cheapy, and everyone else who has helped in the creation of this cable. I will be showing it off tonight! :D

Troz1820, that's awesome! It turned out that my wife now plays more Animal Crossing than the SMB1... got quite the swank pad in there now. Nintendo is genious at attracting non-gamers, or at least coming up with games that prove to be fun for them. Which is a mixed blessing when I'd rather be playing Zelda while she's fishing in AC...

Thanks UncleBob for testing out Advance Play - that helps! I did read your prior post, but was unfamiliar with the e-Reader, eTM, or Animal Island.

Glad to hear that so many people are enjoying these so much... it's nice to know that, although I did very little to help with these, that I can give a bit back to this community that has made me spend so much money.

A couple more questions for you guys:

Does the cable recharge the micro while playing?

Does the micro function like a digital GC controller for regular GC games? For example, I'm playing Zelda1 on the collector's edition GC disc, and I'm thinking of picking up the Hori "SNES" GC controller because the GC d-pad blows. Would the micro+cable work just as good?

Finally, I found this list of games that have link functionality (with a nice credit to Troz).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_GameCube-Game_Boy_Advance_cable
Which ones are worth picking up?

Thanks!

[quote name='desultor']A couple more questions for you guys:
Does the cable recharge the micro while playing?

Does the micro function like a digital GC controller for regular GC games? For example, I'm playing Zelda1 on the collector's edition GC disc, and I'm thinking of picking up the Hori "SNES" GC controller because the GC d-pad blows. Would the micro+cable work just as good?
[/QUOTE]

No, it does not recharge and no, it cannot be used as a controller.

[quote name='desultor']
Finally, I found this list of games that have link functionality (with a nice credit to Troz).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_GameCube-Game_Boy_Advance_cable
Which ones are worth picking up?
[/QUOTE]

The big three for me are Pac Man vs. (great for non-gamers), Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, and Zelda: Four Swords. Of course, the irony of all this is I've yet to have a chance to get four people around to play FF:CC or Zelda.

[quote name='Kirix']Got mine today. Thank you Troz. Bet you're making a lot of money ;D[/QUOTE]

I wish. I'll be honest and let everyone know that I'm making about $5/cable which includes:

- Sourcing all materials (Micro Link cables suck to get!)
- Solder work
- Modifying the plastic junction box
- Testing (They're all tested with Pac Man Vs.)
- Packaging & Shipping

When all is said and done, I'm spending around 35-45 minutes of my time per cable, so I'm getting around $7.50-8.00/hour for the work. I must admit that the funds received from this will go straight back into Nintendo when the Wii comes out. It's all being set aside for that, so thank all of you who are purchasing the cables and contributing to my Wii fund!

I see so you're really just doing a service for us. Well thanks, youre a generous, helpful person and I appreciate it.

[quote name='desultor'][...]and I'm thinking of picking up the Hori "SNES" GC controller because the GC d-pad blows.[/QUOTE]

GET THE HORI DIGITAL CONTROLLER!

That thing kicks so much ass.

Aside from that, no the micro will not work like a controller for any normal GCN Games.

However, it will work as a controller for GBA games played on the Game Boy Player.

[quote name='desultor']Finally, I found this list of games that have link functionality [...] Which ones are worth picking up? [/QUOTE]

As Troz said, Pac-Man vs. Completly. Four Swords Adventures is a great game, as well. Of course, Wind Waker has some GBA elements with the Tingle Tuner - although don't buy the game because of that, buy Wind Waker because it rocks. Of course, Animal Crossing has some great GBA connectivity elements to it and, if you're into it, the Chao garden in the Sonic games is kinda neat.

Hi I'd like to order one of these awesome self made GBmicro-GC cable. I live in Italy (Europe). Please can you tell me the grand total (shipping included) to send it in my country? I can paypal you.

Thank you.

I still haven't got my cable, maybe that's because I live in the Netherlands?
I pm'd you with my address-information and stuff and I donated the money trough Paypal to your acc. a week ago (still have the 'paymentevidencemail' or whatever lol). Maybe I'm just a little bit too anxious but can you confirm this please?

Dont start worrying yet, mine has only just turned up today & i live in the UK so yours shouldnt be too far away now.

Like others have already said, thanks for making these cables they just scream out quality. You did a excellent job, it looks so neat & professional.

Time for many hours of pacman vs i think (^_^)

Bastard666 - PM Sent with details!

DekuPNut - Your cable shipped out on June 6th. The USPS says it can take up to 10 days to arrive. Just give it a little time.

Kaladron - Don't know what happened there. Got your recent PM, send a reply and put you on the list for the next batch.

I'm glad many are getting their cables. Hope you all are enjoying them!

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up that half (15) of the cables from the next batch are already spoken for. It's still going to be a few weeks before they're ready but I suggest that you PM me if you want one. This will be my last set of 30 cables at this price. Any cables made after this will be at a higher price point since I can no longer get the GBA link cable at a super-cheap price.

Where did you get the black box that is enclosing the mini pcb? What size and how much? I got the cable wired up but now I need to enclose everything.

I can't wait to get word when the new cords are done i'm so excited for my cord it is unbelieveable. Well Troz i'm just waiting for word when they are done, just let me know.

The cable came in yesterday and it works like a charm! :D
Thank you very much!, I played FF:CC with it, I'm finally able to play the multiplayer after 2 years :p

Like many others I have a few questions ^_^

I am wondering what the total materials needed to make this are, besides the two cables that is. I'm figuring that you need cable ties, a soldering iron, some solder, a black plastic box to drill holes in, a drill, scissors and heat-shrink tubing/or electrical tape?

I want to make this for myself, I joined CAG just to ask ^_^. I live in Australia so ordering is too hard. If this is all that is needed I will make it myself, well after I figure out what that black box is and how heat shrink tubing works (in case you can't tell, I never did shop class at school ;))

Thank you ^_^

Hello, is it possible to cut a gba to gba cable and splice it into a NGC controller cable to make your own NGC to GBA cable? Or is there some sort of small circuit board needed?

Hi, I registered just for this topic :) I just wondered if there are anymore cables available, and if so how much one would be with shipping to the UK?

Also, I just wondered, would it not be possible to use this configuration to make an official GBM>GC link cable?:whistle2:
Gameboy Micro> Official Gameboy Micro Cable>Gameboy Micro/GBA Convertor>Gameboy Advance Link cable (using the pass-through box as a female to female adaptor)> Gamecube/GBA Link cable>Gamecube console
I know its abit long winded, but would it work?
TIA :)

I registered just for this as well.

edit: but now that I've spent some time reading this site, I like it a lot! I used the front-page yesterday to pick up some PC games :)

Sorry for the delay all. I've been too busy with "Real Life" to make any of the cables these past few weeks. Hopefully I'll get them done this week to those that are on my list (which is full BTW)...

Dinodoedoe - http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?han...ductid=778996&e_categoryid=70&e_pcodeid=54603

Keaton - If you're going to make your own, the best way is whatever works for you. I don't use any heat-shrink tubing on my cables since they don't really need any. I do use some electrical tape to wrap up each spliced wire. A dremel is used to cut the plastic box that I linked above. As long as you can solder you should be able to make a cable.

gdingy - Unfortunately that will not work. There is a small circuit board required for the GC-GBA link to work.

link83 - That method will bypass the GBA link port which relies on the circuit board unfortunately.

Hi, I'm a newbie who's interested in making a homemade cable, and I've been looking through the archive of this thread for information about the pins. They were brought up in some posts on page 4.

[quote name='Troz1820']Patters: I've been looking at my drawings and I can't really tell which cable is what. I never properly labeled the male or female connectors. To figure all this out, all I did was use the GBMicro->GBALink converter to figure out which wires went where.

There are 8 pins total on the GBMicro, of which 1 & 8 are 5V and Ground I know. The remainder look like they go in the same order as the GBA Link port. So from what I can tell, looking at the connector straight on would be:

1=5V OR Gnd
2=3.3V
3=Serial out
4=Serial in
5=Serial data
6=Serial clock
7=Ground
8=5V OR Ground

Of course, they could be reversed but that's the general idea. I don't have any tools to test this kind of stuff with so unfortunately this is all I can do for you (I think).[/quote]
Troz gave an idea of the pin configuration in this post, but I'm not sure whether he was referring to the Micro's female-type connector or a cable's male-type connector.

[quote name='Troz1820']I used my multimeter and verified that Pin 7 is 3.3V (I really hope) so the order should be reversed from what I posted above. Hope that helps and that you find a micro link cable to use.[/quote]
This other post also makes it a bit confusing about which order the pins are in.

If it's not too much trouble, would either Troz or someone else with an official GBMicro to GBA/SP converter be able to confirm what direction of which connector type the pins go in? The positions of the Serial-related pins are what I need to find out the most.

Troz, could you put just one cable on Ebay and then link it here so we can bid on it? Of all the people who missed the chance to get a cable the normal way, at least the one who wants it the most would get it.

Kree - I'll try to take some photos/draw up a diagram tonight to give you and everyone else a clearer picture of all this.

Warm Woolly Sheep - I really can't say if this is a possibility or not. I've got a waiting list beyond the initial batch. It'll all depend on how many people actually pony up the cash for their cables when the time comes.

Speaking of which... the delay comes because my wife and I are in the process of selling our home. Of course it seems everytime I setup shop to work on these cables someone calls to come look at the house and I have to quickly pack it all away for another time. Anyways, I've got the casings complete and just need to splice the wires and the batch will be complete. Those of you whom I've guaranteed a cable to, keep an eye on your PMs in the next few days.

Status update: Everyone that was on the initial reservation list should have received payment details from me. Some cables have already shipped.

I've decided that when I have someone drop off the list at this point that I'm going to move the cable to Ebay. You can find my current auctions at my CAG Auction Page.

When these are gone I am done with this. It unfortunately has been more of a hassle than I bargained for. I hope that those of you with the cables are enjoying them!

I got my cable today. I'm very impressed with the quality of it, it's very well made. :applause: I've only tried it out with Four Swords (import version) so far, but it works great!

Anyone who has a GBM and Cube with games that use the connectivity features should bid on the one Troz has on eBay while you still can. You won't be disappointed.

Miranda - I'm glad you're pleased with the quality. Thanks!

A status update for everyone on the remaining cable: I have 4 individuals that have not gotten back to me yet. If I don't hear from them by late Sunday I will be putting their cables on Ebay as well.

i thought i signed up for a cable when i first saw this thread reappear, but i guess not :(

any more cables, or is that one on ebay the last one?

Sorry but I never received any PMs from you.

There will be 2, maybe 3, additional cables going on Ebay after this one finishes. The option is still open to send me materials (Nintendo GBM Link cable, GBA->GC Link cable) and I'll build one for a fee...

Hey,

First... thanks to TROZ for pioneering this whole get-up so I can play with Tingle...

Second... curses to TROZ for making me relive the hell that was shop class, and cementing my position in this world as a white-collar worker...

After recently getting my hands on a Micro, I was frustrated that I couldn't just go out and grab a cable or adapter to hook them up, especially since I live in the land of Nintendo. So for those who were wondering, there's nothing available on the Japanese market to solve this problem either.

Finding this thread was a stroke of luck... but I came too late for the big sell off, and since I had ready availability of the components, I thought I'd have a crack at it myself.

I picked up a cheap micro link-cable (cyber-gadget, 730 yen frm Bic Camera, Japan), dug out the cable that came with the 4-swords pack and got
a soldering iron from the local 100 yen store.

I dissected the link cable (only 4 wires, strange) and figured out which pin connected to which wire. Then I got too excited and rushed into things and sliced the GBA/GC cable thinking I'd be able to do a patch job like with the Nyko cable... not the case.

Based on a previous post from Troz, the micro pins are set up as such

1=5V OR Gnd
2=3.3V
3=Serial out
4=Serial in
5=Serial data
6=Serial clock
7=Ground
8=5V OR Ground

My link cable seems to have wires for pins 3-6. Easy enough. My only question now is can I just connect these to the GBA/GC cable wires? And if so, which wires connect to which?

In the GBA/GC cable I have a red wire, blue wire, yellow wire and an unshielded wire. Can anyone tell me which wires belong to which pins? Can I do this by connecting wires directly? Or should I have left the little circuit board on?

Sorry for being such a numpty. I'll leave it to the professionals next time!!

:wall:

Perhaps Troz can explain this a little better, but from my understanding when we were trying to get the goods together to make this last batch cheaply, we tried using two different third-party GBmicro cable to do so (I forget the brands...) When they arrived, Troz said he couldn't use them because they only had four wires in them when the GBA/GCN cable requires six...

We ended up having to go with the official Nintendo Link Cables (which, over here in the states, can *only* be ordered from Nintendo's website) which, unfortunatly, bumped up the cost by quite a bit...

Again, Troz might be able to clear this up a bit, but it's my guess that you won't be able to use the third party GBmicro cable you've got.

UncleBob is right, the 3rd party micro link cables simply won't work for this. You're missing the 2nd wire (3.3V) in the micro link cable which supplies power for the small circuitboard inside the GBA->GC Link Cable. You'll have to find the Official Nintendo Micro Link Cable to get it to work.

Right.... so wasted 730 yen on the cable... messed up my GBA/GC cable by splicing it... remind me never to do my own home electical work... geeeez.

I looked about and I can get the official Nintendo cable from electronics stores over here as well as the offical GBA/GC cable... looks like I'm starting over.

This time I'll follow the instructions on here to the letter.

Thanks guys... I'll keep you posted.

Damn, I just got a Micro today so I'm too late. If you decide to reopen for business Troz, please reserve a cable for me.

thanks

RC

bread's done
Back