Gamefly rentals: 2 months for $30 (2 games out)

Sashka

CAGiversary!
Hello.

You can "gift" yourself 2 months of Gamefly for 27.95 ($30 with tax) 2 games out at a time. Usually, with no deals/coupons, this would be $50 if you picked 2 games out at a time for 2 months. Just go to

http://www.gamefly.com/Gift-Certificate/Buy/

I just did it and it worked perfectly. This is the full list. Choose whichever is best for you. This is a rather phenomenal deal if you use Gamefly on a regular basis and can't afford to buy many games (*If you buy six 2-month gift cards, that's $168 as opposed to a regular subscription which would be 12x23 = $276, both no tax included. So, if you use Gamefly frequently, it's obviously best to buy several 2-month cards) Also works with 1 game out at a time.

* Make sure to use this http://www.gamefly.com/gift-certificate/redeem when redeeming your gift card.
  • 1 month - $22.95
  • 2 months - $27.95 (Save 20%)
  • 3 months - $48.95 (Save 15%)
  • 6 months - $107.95 (Save 15%)
  • 12 months - $224.95 (Save 15%)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've bought a second 2-month code and extended through April 2012. For every two-month subscription I get with the gift certificate, I'm saving $18. The question now is: how many of these should I buy? I'm a fan of GF over my first two years, but I don't want to miss out if some Quikster comes along that I want to switch to.

[quote name='Bucket2222']I've bought a second 2-month code and extended through April 2012. For every two-month subscription I get with the gift certificate, I'm saving $18. The question now is: how many of these should I buy? I'm a fan of GF over my first two years, but I don't want to miss out if some Quikster comes along that I want to switch to.[/QUOTE]

Well..obviously, it's up to you. But I bought 3, used one and am saving the other two for the summer.

[quote name='Bucket2222']I've bought a second 2-month code and extended through April 2012. For every two-month subscription I get with the gift certificate, I'm saving $18. The question now is: how many of these should I buy? I'm a fan of GF over my first two years, but I don't want to miss out if some Quikster comes along that I want to switch to.[/QUOTE]

Netflix said they are "evaluating" doing games, so I'm not really holding my breath for it.

To be honest, considering the large userbase of Netflix, I don't neccesarily think when/if they do games it'll be much better/different than Gamefly. And if there is some type of discrepancy, Gamefly would most likely change things around to try and match Netflix's offerings.

I'd just go with this deal. (BTW, the Gamefly FAQ specifically says you can use this for your own account)

[quote name='BigPopov']
I'd just go with this deal. (BTW, the Gamefly FAQ specifically says you can use this for your own account)[/QUOTE]

I understand that it's allowed, but where does it say that? I've looked through everything regarding gift cards/certificates within the FAQ and the page for this deal and can't seem to find what you're talking about.

The only reason I was skeptical was because I've run into trouble before under similar circumstances of a different service. That doesn't mean it was going to happen again here, but that's why I asked initially. The responses I received weren't exactly helpful, so I argued the point a bit while waiting for an official response. Once I got that, I saw that there was nothing to worry about here (ordered 2 months for myself), so I was just being paranoid before.

[quote name='slidecage']able to grab 2 but 99% of the time i got that STUPID SILIVER BAR over the games out[/QUOTE]

Maybe there's something wrong with your browser..?

Quick question someone might know the answer too... I normally like to do 2 at a time with GF during the heavier release seasons and then drop to 1 during the drier months. Anyone know if I get a combination of 2 and 1 month gift certs and try redeeming them all what will happen? Prolly gonna just go with all 2 months at this price to be safe unless someone knows.

Grabbed 4 as well. I'm paid till August 2012. Thanks op. Its expensive now, but I don't see me dropping Gamefly anytime soon, love the service!

I've been a member for 2 years now and I love their service. For the most part it's 2-3 days one way shipping and I average around 6 games/month with the 2 game plan which is roughly $4. something per title.

Just last month one of my titles wasn't recieved (reported it to GF when the one week period ended) and they were quick to respond and fix the issue. About 3-4 days after that I recieved on email saying they found the problem and recieved the disk.

Think I recieved only one disk that wouldn't work due to scratches but that's about it.

Does anyone have this problem? I signed up for the 2 month gift certificate thing and paid $30.68. I then went to billing history and it shows the $30.68 but then it shows $13.98 as "monthly fee."

Now, I gifted the certificate on my own account (I basically bought it for my account). Is this why I am being charged additional money?

[quote name='clemdog14']Does anyone have this problem? I signed up for the 2 month gift certificate thing and paid $30.68. I then went to billing history and it shows the $30.68 but then it shows $13.98 as "monthly fee."

Now, I gifted the certificate on my own account (I basically bought it for my account). Is this why I am being charged additional money?[/QUOTE]

No, I gifted it to myself as well and there are no additional charges other than the $30 I spent.

[quote name='Ymeegod']I've been a member for 2 years now and I love their service. For the most part it's 2-3 days one way shipping and I average around 6 games/month with the 2 game plan which is roughly $4. something per title.

Just last month one of my titles wasn't recieved (reported it to GF when the one week period ended) and they were quick to respond and fix the issue. About 3-4 days after that I recieved on email saying they found the problem and recieved the disk.

Think I recieved only one disk that wouldn't work due to scratches but that's about it.[/QUOTE]
Man I'm lucky when it comes to gamefly. Its one day shipping to me because the shipping center is so close to me

[quote name='GUNNM']Man I'm lucky when it comes to gamefly. Its one day shipping to me because the shipping center is so close to me[/QUOTE]

Damn lucky. I live in Austin and there is a center in Austin so sending back my games takes only 1 day confirmation but somehow it takes 2-3 days to actually ship my game after receiving the confirmation email.

[quote name='PancakesAreLove']Damn lucky. I live in Austin and there is a center in Austin so sending back my games takes only 1 day confirmation but somehow it takes 2-3 days to actually ship my game after receiving the confirmation email.[/QUOTE]
I live in San Antonio and they ship the game monday from austin and I get it tuesday for the whole year I've had gamefly a game has never been late

[quote name='GUNNM']I live in San Antonio and they ship the game monday from austin and I get it tuesday for the whole year I've had gamefly a game has never been late[/QUOTE]

^ I said it takes 2-3 days to ship the game. I usually get it around 1-2days after it ships. so overall it takes like 4-5 days to get a new game after I send mine in.

[quote name='perfectsil']15 dollars a month and the devs don't see a penny, don't you want to support people that make your games?[/QUOTE]

I rent a house, but I don't feel that I'm failing to support the builder.

[quote name='perfectsil']15 dollars a month and the devs don't see a penny, don't you want to support people that make your games?[/QUOTE]

You mean we didn't support them when Gamefly bought 22984179 copies of Modern Warfare 3? :hot:

When they make something worth purchasing, I'll buy it.

[quote name='clemdog14']Does anyone have this problem? I signed up for the 2 month gift certificate thing and paid $30.68. I then went to billing history and it shows the $30.68 but then it shows $13.98 as "monthly fee."

Now, I gifted the certificate on my own account (I basically bought it for my account). Is this why I am being charged additional money?[/QUOTE]

gamefly does this for some reason.. i paid like 90 for a 6months acccount and it keep going monthly billing 13 xx

they will probally take 13.98 for the first month and the rest of the cert for the 2nd month

[quote name='Sashka']Maybe there's something wrong with your browser..?[/QUOTE]

think there is a glitch cause sometimes it pops up goes away then pops back up...

got 3 so far dont know to keep grabbing or not ...

1 at a time with tax is 10 per month...

REMEMBER you can always go 1 at a time and upgrade later ( you have to pay 7 bucks per game upgrade fee though)

Im prepaid right now though March 17 2012 (without adding these)

and remember YOU get 5 GAMEFLY BUCKS every 3 months your a member

so 10 bucks - 1.67 gamefly bucks per month like paying 8.34 a month 1 at a time that is mostly a store rental

Assuming this OT post was not missing the /SARCASM ...

No, I do not want to support the studios that put out the trash that I would be renting. I do in fact buy games quite frequently. However I do not feel at all shameful for not wanting to put down MSRP for another trash Spiderman game or a yearly installment of reskinned models in Madden 20XX or CoD X.

These studios keep pushing every form of DRM, and perpetuate this myth that rentals and re-selling are killing them. It is a complete farce and just a desperate attempt to skirt the First Sale Doctrine (US Law). This is because many of them know that they are pumping out uninspired rehashed drivel that people will regret purchasing and have no interest in keeping in their collection.

Look, I am no fan of people losing their jobs, but there are multiple articles knocking around da netz recently (IGN, joystiq, etc.) mourning the loss of 12 studios this year. Quite frankly, most of those shops started small, made a decent creative game or two and then sold out to the likes of Activision, EA, or some VC firm.

So, management sold out their IP to a corporation that wanted to bleed the good name of their franchise and I am supposed to pity someone in that greedy mess? Look, making something truly creative and of value is HARD and if you succeed people will reward you by paying good money for it. Heck they will probably even start a great fan supported community around it. But if your management decides to sell the farm don't be surprised when sales drop off and your studio gets "rightsized" as gamers walk away from your franchise.

Back on topic:

I ditched GameFly some time ago in favor of another more gamer community friendly rental service. However, I do thank GameFly for forcing me to find an alternative due to the same issues others have stated earlier in this thread.

fuck em

[quote name='Schade']Assuming this OT post was not missing the /SARCASM ...

No, I do not want to support the studios that put out the trash that I would be renting. I do in fact buy games quite frequently. However I do not feel at all shameful for not wanting to put down MSRP for another trash Spiderman game or a yearly installment of reskinned models in Madden 20XX or CoD X.

These studios keep pushing every form of DRM, and perpetuate this myth that rentals and re-selling are killing them. It is a complete farce and just a desperate attempt to skirt the First Sale Doctrine (US Law). This is because many of them know that they are pumping out uninspired rehashed drivel that people will regret purchasing and have no interest in keeping in their collection.

Look, I am no fan of people losing their jobs, but there are multiple articles knocking around da netz recently (IGN, joystiq, etc.) mourning the loss of 12 studios this year. Quite frankly, most of those shops started small, made a decent creative game or two and then sold out to the likes of Activision, EA, or some VC firm.

So, management sold out their IP to a corporation that wanted to bleed the good name of their franchise and I am supposed to pity someone in that greedy mess? Look, making something truly creative and of value is HARD and if you succeed people will reward you by paying good money for it. Heck they will probably even start a great fan supported community around it. But if your management decides to sell the farm don't be surprised when sales drop off and your studio gets "rightsized" as gamers walk away from your franchise.

Back on topic:

I ditched GameFly some time ago in favor of another more gamer community friendly rental service. However, I do thank GameFly for forcing me to find an alternative due to the same issues others have stated earlier in this thread.[/QUOTE]

Personally I think the gamers need to go to used only... Game publishers especially the main ones have pretty much stomped the crap outta Gamestop making it so the Used are nearly the same as New price... Most people think this is gamestop being greedy but every post ive ever read says Gamestop majority of there profits come from acessories & used games... The problem is the publishers dont make the same money off those used games..
Going to get to the point the publishers will end up telling Gamestop if you want to sell our product you can sell it when it gets to the bargin bin and we'll see if you can manage to sell a used copy then for $1.99 or $2.99 when it hits B2G1.... I of course have stopped buying from Gamestop used since they got rid of manuals , and original artwork but I certainly haven't stopped buying used... Gamestops in a tough place with the pressure from the publishers.....

was Finally able to get that silver bar off enough to order 4 of them

Paid right now though March 2012

this will push me though NOV 2012 when i apply them to my account ...

Wont grab anymore since i only do handheld games and 99.9% there is nothing coming out in handhelds from DEC to FEB every year ...so im good

80 bucks for 8 months is cheaper then what i paid (90 for 6 months) back in aug

[quote name='slidecage']was Finally able to get that silver bar off enough to order 4 of them

Paid right now though March 2012

this will push me though NOV 2012 when i apply them to my account ...

Wont grab anymore since i only do handheld games and 99.9% there is nothing coming out in handhelds from DEC to FEB every year ...so im good

80 bucks for 8 months is cheaper then what i paid (90 for 6 months) back in aug[/QUOTE]

And there you were..just a couple pages ago, telling people that this deal will never work and that Gamefly is a terrible service.

-.-
-.-
-.-

[quote name='Sashka']And there you were..just a couple pages ago, telling people that this deal will never work and that Gamefly is a terrible service.

-.-
-.-
-.-[/QUOTE]

I still stand by my points .. i wouldnt be shocked if gamefly cancells all of these gift certs and refunds the cash..

Games do take up to a week each way to get to me..

but like i said after putting in the gamefly bucks 1 at a time is like 8 something what is the price of a 3 day game rental here so even if i only had a game in hand for 5 days i would be getting a better deal here.

i know if this did not come along I would been long gone from this site come march when my gift cert that im using now expired

Judging by the fact that they still haven't changed that %20, it might not even be a mistake..might be deliberate on their part.

[quote name='Sashka']Judging by the fact that they still haven't changed that %20, it might not even be a mistake..might be deliberate on their part.[/QUOTE]

or they are too stupid to look at their own site :) its bigger then 20% off anyways so even the 20% off is messed up

I ordered 5 of these and added them all to my account. The next day I got a call from Gamefly customer service saying they didn't allow that many gift certificates on an account, but would let it slide this time since I was a loyal customer, blah blah. Just FYI for anyone who is planning to stack multiple of these on their account.

I ordered another 5 GCs after that, but will wait to redeem them until my current ones run out. :)

[quote name='fritolay59']I ordered 5 of these and added them all to my account. The next day I got a call from Gamefly customer service saying they didn't allow that many gift certificates on an account, but would let it slide this time since I was a loyal customer, blah blah. Just FYI for anyone who is planning to stack multiple of these on their account.

I ordered another 5 GCs after that, but will wait to redeem them until my current ones run out. :)[/QUOTE]

i would told them to go screw themself .

that is what im doing im waiting for each one of them to run out before applying the bad thing about this is IF gamefly desides to cancell all of the gift codes without notice Good luck disputting with your credit card company 6 months from now

[quote name='slidecage']or they are too stupid to look at their own site :) its bigger then 20% off anyways so even the 20% off is messed up[/QUOTE]

For those that don't understand the "% off" numbers, that is X % off the normal price of the gift certificate, not the normal monthly price for subscribers. Example:

"2 months - $27.95 (Save 20%)" -- The normal 2 month gift certificate is $34.95. $34.95 - 20% = $27.95

And this is not a mistake, they had the same deal last year at this time.

don't worry about them. They get a cut as well when games are rented out.

An update on how the mechanics of this are working for me. I purchased three two-month gift cards and queued them up on my account. It shows my account extended from 12/26/11 to 6/26/12. On 12/26/11, instead of the normal monthly charge of $22.95 being charged to my credit card, my account history shows GF drawing down on the gift certificate for $13.98 (i.e., one-half of one two-month gift certificate). I've enjoyed GF at $23/month. I'm enjoying it that much more at $14 a month. Even if I keep each game I get out for a month at a time, that one-month rental is only costing me $7. I've found it particularly useful for games my kids bug me for right after release (like Disney Universe) that I don't want to pay $40-50 for, knowing that it will be gathering dust after about a month. Thanks OP.

[quote name='Sashka'] Gamefly would not be as successful as it is if their business model and execution was not solid.
[/QUOTE]

This is supposed to be a joke right? The scummiest companies are usually the most successful: Gamestop, Wal-Mart, Redbox, etc. Either you are delusional, making a joke, or EXTREMELY naive. And yes, I have experienced the mysterious "losing" of games with them before too. From what I've read around, it seems to happen a whole lot more now, but they've been doing it for years, and it seems to happen a WHOLE lot more to people who have cancelled their subscriptions... Yep, I'm sure they are COMPLETELY on the up and up...

[quote name='yruluis']don't worry about them. They get a cut as well when games are rented out.[/QUOTE]
Doesn't the First sale doctrine allow gamefly and netflix to rent out discs without paying royalties? The only reason netflix sign contracts with movie studios to delay newly released movies is to get them at wholesale rates.

The only royalties they must pay are for the streaming content.

The Gamefly conspiracy theories are always hilarious.

Keep in mind that Gamefly is a potential bankruptcy risk at any time. I'm not risking anything beyond a year because I'm not sure they'll be around.

Also to clear up some misinformation there are two different ways publishers generally get revenue from rentals:

1) Revenue sharing - Publishers sell rental titles at a low initial cost and then get paid a fixed amount per rental

2) Straight sale - Titles are sold at full price and the publishers don't get anything for each rental

Either way the publisher/developer gets paid. Obviously it's not the same ARPU as a purchase, but something is larger than nothing for games that people would not buy otherwise.

Can someone quickly tell me how this works if I have a 3-game plan? Will it not work at all? Will it downgrade me? Or will it just deduct the difference and therefor still make this worth my while.

[quote name='karishbhr']Can someone quickly tell me how this works if I have a 3-game plan? Will it not work at all? Will it downgrade me? Or will it just deduct the difference and therefor still make this worth my while.[/QUOTE]

It will downgrade you to 2 out and then you can pay the difference to upgrade. For me it was a $7.61 charge last month.

bread's done
Back