Gamefly Two week Trial - Free

I'll get it out of the way: a trail that takes two weeks? What is it? A segment of the Appalachian(sp?) Trail?

[quote name='dabamus']I'll get it out of the way: a trail that takes two weeks? What is it? A segment of the Appalachian(sp?) Trail?[/QUOTE]
hahahahaha you got me! good man, real good.

Hmm...I may try this out again. I tried it like a year ago and their service was atrocious. I never even received a single game throughout the entire trial period.

Wasn't worth it for me. I tried it a while ago, and unless you have the 2 game plan, it's not worth it. For me it was like this:

They send the game, get it in 1-2 days, I play it, send it, they get it the next day but not ship the next game until the following day. Netflix ships out same day. Wait until a month trial as you're really only going to get a couple games to play in those 2 weeks. Once you cancel, you have like 3 days for them to receive it or you're charged.

Gamefly trial totally sucked for me. I did the 2 week trial last year and it took practically a week just to receive a game! To make matters worse, on my trial I received the WRONG game and by the time they replaced it, my trial was up. So I maybe played about an hour of a game before having to send it back and that sums up my "2 week trial". Don't get me wrong, I love gamefly's used games store since I've always received like-new discs with perfect cases/manuals, but I would never pay for their rental service.

Yea, definitely not worth it. All you are signing up for is the ability to play a random game for a week and then maybe getting stuck with charges...

i think i might do this just because i have some games i want to buy for the keep it price. gamefly still does offer the best quality of used games ive had the pleasure of purchasing, so why not. plus their prices arent bad.

Two agonizing problems with gamefly:

1. It takes 24 hours to ship the next game on your Queue. Translation? If you return a game on Monday, by Thursday, the next game should be shipped, but NO... There's a up to 24 hours "delay" in shipping of the next game. So, instead of getting the next game on Saturday, you get it on the following Monday.

2. The Queue is weird... You almost never get the game on the top of the queue (regardless it's HIGH or old releases). The quickest way to amend this is to put only the games you really want on the queue (which they have to ship, duh).

Other than that, the fee and timing is quite reasonable. However, once Blockbuster releases game rental plans, i'm going to stop GF (nothing beats in-store exchange!)

I thought GF always offered 2 week free trials? They used to anyway... a deal is when you can find a 30 day free trial. As others have said, with a 2 week free trial, if you plan on cancelling before they charge you, you will probably only get your initial shipment of games, and have them available for about a week. Turnaround time back and forth takes just about a week usually. And they do not prioritize the games you put at the top of your queue, they will send whatever they have available, even if it means sending the bottom game on your queue.

That being said, it's not a terrible service or a terrible price, they just don't have the infrastructure to have service as good as Netflix, which they are modeled after.

(edit) Heh, side note, for me, this page has a Gamefly banner ad at the top of the page as I type this...

This isnt really a deal as they seem to always have a free trial.

Also, for those of you complaining about the time to get games, where do you live? Remember it all depends on that. I live in Tampa, which happens to be where they have a shipping center, so for me the service is very fast. Never wait more than 2-3 days. And since I always have a backlog of a couple games, I never run dry of something to play while I wait.

So for those on the fence, Gamefly is real nice if you are near a shipping center and for $25 a month, I can try out a few games even if they suck. Really, are we not going to spend more than $25 a month on games anyway?

They need to offer a reduced price for members that only want to rent handheld games. I was pleased with the service, but I'm not paying $15 a month to rent handheld games when it's not much more to actually purchase the game. My area had a quick return service (they'd send out a new game when the post office scans the return in their system), so the turn-around time wasn't that bad.

I'm on the 1 month trial thru the ECA membership and the service is so-so. Took them 2 business days to ship them my 2 games (although I'll give them credit, with my 8 game Q they shipped BlazBlue out to me which had a "very low" availability). I tried BlazBlue and Cross Edge out over the weekend and shipped it right back to them, since I'm mainly using this period to demo stuff I might want.

I think it'd be really not worth it if you got only 1 game out at a time; the time it takes to ship back to them and get your next game is terrible, on the order of 3-5 days without anything to play.

A 2 week trial isn't worth it either, it really does take a full week to get your first game and you need to send it back beforehand or you'd get charged.

You have 7 days after cancellation to send in your games before you get charged. You DO NOT have to send them in before ending your account.

I've rented from gamefly for quite awhile and used to wonder if $22 / month was worth it. This usually occurred when I got busy and didn't have much time to play. At around the end of year 2, I suddenly realized that I hadn't thought about how MUCH I was spending on video games in a long time.

So I started to think about that and realized that over a year I spend, with Gamefly, a little over $200. I do keep a game occasionally. So tack on the 2 or 3 games I buy from them a year and call it $300.

At new game prices $300 equals about 5 games. At jeffbase34's $37 a games thats about 8 games. In a year with gamefly I play 25 - 30 games easy.

Of course some I rent and send right back cause I don't like em, but then that to me is priceless in and of itself.

[quote name='Serpentor']Two agonizing problems with gamefly:

1. It takes 24 hours to ship the next game on your Queue. Translation? If you return a game on Monday, by Thursday, the next game should be shipped, but NO... There's a up to 24 hours "delay" in shipping of the next game. So, instead of getting the next game on Saturday, you get it on the following Monday.

2. The Queue is weird... You almost never get the game on the top of the queue (regardless it's HIGH or old releases). The quickest way to amend this is to put only the games you really want on the queue (which they have to ship, duh).

Other than that, the fee and timing is quite reasonable. However, once Blockbuster releases game rental plans, i'm going to stop GF (nothing beats in-store exchange!)[/QUOTE]

they shipped a game on the same day they received one many times for me.

[quote name='ryauda2006']I've rented from gamefly for quite awhile and used to wonder if $22 / month was worth it. This usually occurred when I got busy and didn't have much time to play. At around the end of year 2, I suddenly realized that I hadn't thought about how MUCH I was spending on video games in a long time.

So I started to think about that and realized that over a year I spend, with Gamefly, a little over $200. I do keep a game occasionally. So tack on the 2 or 3 games I buy from them a year and call it $300.

At new game prices $300 equals about 5 games. At jeffbase34's $37 a games thats about 8 games. In a year with gamefly I play 25 - 30 games easy.

Of course some I rent and send right back cause I don't like em, but then that to me is priceless in and of itself.[/QUOTE]

The value proposition is a lot better if you're playing a lot of games and sending them right back. I know for myself I love RPGs, so renting them and keeping the same game for weeks isn't exactly worth it to me.

They received BlazBlue and sent inFamous out the same day, but it's a case by case thing. I sent Cross Edge and BlazBlue back at the same time and they haven't "received" Cross Edge yet... which I cannot understand how that happened. :/ So yeah, YMMV.

Anything less than 30 days on a trial is pointless. I know they're banking on lazy people who don't cancel promptly, but in my case all a 2 week trial would accomplish is to point out to me how few games you actually get to play.

I've done the Gamefly thing a couple times & felt like I got my money's worth out of it, but I felt like I had to push myself to do so.

When I did the gamefly trial I just thought of it as 2 weeks free. Not, how can I rent a bunch of games then cancel.

I figured I'd at least try it for a full month after that. I went through 2 games in the week. Now with the 2 at time plan I figure each game costs me about $3 each.

I only do these free trials when I need to buy games from gamefly. I just rent it, then pay the keep it price, then cancel. Thats all these free trials are useful for me.

I have a question.

1) If a family member in my household used to use GameFly, can I use a free trial like the ECA one? It would be under my name, and a totally new account.

[quote name='RedGamer']I have a question.

1) If a family member in my household used to use GameFly, can I use a free trial like the ECA one? It would be under my name, and a totally new account.[/QUOTE]

I believe GF considers the same "home address" or credit card billing address/shipping address to be invalid to have another free trial. I believe that's the case, but I could be wrong... which would be a good thing for you! :razz:

[quote name='Squarehard']I only do these free trials when I need to buy games from gamefly. I just rent it, then pay the keep it price, then cancel. Thats all these free trials are useful for me.[/QUOTE]

I think that's not supposed to work though... does it? They claim people on trial do not get the free shipping on "Keep It" games.

You're saying since you already have the disc they'd ship you the insert and manual for free?

Here's the thing:

He didn't use a -free trial- but one of the promotional offers for "new-users".

The XBox one where it's $5.95 for first month + 400 live points free.

Does that go in the same category as free trial? I'm just wondering 'cause if it doesn't, than picking up ECA sounds even nicer.

[quote name='jjz203']I believe GF considers the same "home address" or credit card billing address/shipping address to be invalid to have another free trial. I believe that's the case, but I could be wrong... which would be a good thing for you! :razz:[/QUOTE]

I used Gamefly a year or two ago and then quit. Then two months ago I wanted to start up again. I went with the 8.95 for the first month deal, but I could have done the free trial if I wanted to as I was leaning that way at first. The system still had my old user name and address. So I think it should work. But it might depend on how long you havent been active?

I started gamefly with a free 1 month, from one of netflix's advertisements on their envelopes and they started giving me games with low availability, but after that month ended, it almost seems like its random. The big games for the past couple months I haven't had shipped, even though I've had them in my top 10. Like Wolverine, Transformers, Prototype and others. I have gotten some great games from them though. Games I wouldn't have to worry about buying, because I can just return it the next day, or following 4 if I can stomach to beat it. And adding more systems seems to help. Since alot of games probably be multiplatform this year (besides each consoles big exclusives) it seems to add to your chances on getting that game. Who knows, might get prototype on the ps3, and that'd be cool!

Their store is almost dirt cheap and they give benefits for long standing members. And their keep price is usually reasonable. Their games might be a dollar or three higher then amazon's used prices, but you get free shipping and if you keep the game you rented they ship you the case and instructions and they are usually immaculate condition. I bought Gears 2 for $30 using a coupon and it even had the map pack that came with new titles! Now I have an extra, lol.

My only issue with GF was I kept getting badly scratched unplayable 360 discs, on heavy used games such as Fable 2, GTAIV, Star Wars: TFU. All three games were unlpayable and/or froze mid-play. Signed up for this 2 week trial using a different email, confirmed apparently I'm eligible, put games like Eat Lead, Transformers, Afro Samurai, I might keep it if the games I get are playable. Lets see how the 2 weeks go.

I shipped 2 games back to them and the site didn't update saying they got Cross Edge. I had to report the shipping problem. They fixed it, but it resulted in them shipping my next game out 2 days late... Not sure about the disc scratches, Blu-Ray discs are really really hard to scratch, and they've been perfect for me.

/sigh

Has anyone had any luck with their 1 game out plan? Seems like a pretty good deal if you can rent 2-3 games a month for $16, and still get free shipping on used games.

I'm currently using their 1 game plan and it's alright, the shipping center isn't that close but it's not that far either so the wait time is reasonable. As for auto-charge, I believe they do charge you if you don't cancel on time as they assume you want to keep using their service which is how most trials work from what I've seen.

[quote name='etheidon']Has anyone had any luck with their 1 game out plan? Seems like a pretty good deal if you can rent 2-3 games a month for $16, and still get free shipping on used games.[/QUOTE]

right now im on a 1 game per month cause there is NOTHING I want and with trade in credit you need to stay at 1 at a time (cant close yoru account and reopen later)

account runs 17th to 16th

classic word game shipped out on the 20th never got it till 27th kept it one day and returned it
Little League World Series 2009 shipped out today Wil not get it till monday AUG 3

if i return it aug 4 (1 day rental) I might get one more game shipped to me before my due date

they send me a new game AUG 6 and i get it aug 12 keep it for 5 days

SO for 16 bucks i paid i got

2 1 day rentals
1 5 day rental

now take that to local mom and pop ds rental

2 1 day rentals 2.49 each total 5
1 5 day rental 5.00 total 5

so IF i rented these off local store 10 bucks GAMEFLY 16.00

Gamefly is only good if you are at the 2at a time plan... 1 at a time is a pure rip off

4 1 day rentals total 10
2 5 day total 10

total 20 gamefly 23 still sort of a rip but its not that bad as the 1 a time

whats sort of sad since i only do handheld systems for aug 17 to sept 16 only things im even looking at

DS
Fossil Fighters aug 12 (will up to 2 at time just to get this to ship)

Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story sept 16

PSP
In Q
Dissidia: Final Fantasy aug 27

persona but that is sept 24

holly crap there is only like 2 games once again i would even want to rent in aug to sept (since im buying disgea 2 for the psp)

AUG looks like another lame ass month and sept is just as bad

SEPT

PERSONA psp (will be cancel or pushed back)

Nostalgia
Release: 9/24/09

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
a witch tale (will be canceled)
pokemon sky OCT 11
might and magic clash of heroes (Will be cancel) or pushed back

so until oct 1 i dont have jack crap to really rent : (

Unless you live near a shipping center or want to rent games for a fairly long time it's not really a bargain over your local video store.

w/ the two at a time you might get 5 games a month at the most which averages to about $4.5 per game, and you won't keep most longer than a day. Most video stores charge less than that for short term rentals.

Now if you take a while to finish your games gamefly is a bit better deal since most titles take about a week to ship (unless you're near a shipping center).

Has anybody had anyluck w/ gamerang? They have a shipping center in Minnesota so I thought that would be better for Illinois. My gamefly shipping center was Pittsburgh.

bread's done
Back