@Gamer magazine 9.99/1 yr

Keegs

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Sorry if this was already posted, but I got an email this morning from Best Buy about some buyback promotion they're starting. If you scroll down in the email, @Gamer magazine is on sale for 9.99 for 10 issues.

Not sure if this is for Premier Silver members only, but check your in-boxes.

UPDATE: Here's the direct link

(Thanks Daz)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ssjmichael']So do you have proof of that? And like I said, even if it was, that was a BF deal, this is a random month deal. I don't really care, based on this sample, I have a good feeling I'll get back my money and more from this magazine :)[/QUOTE]

I, too, am sure you'll convince yourself to get a game you don't really want to justify the subscription of the magazine. And thus costing you money, not saving you money. And now you have to buy the game at Best Buy since you have to justify your subscription to the magazine.

Mark my words, this happens with 90% of the people subscribing.

And the magazine is horrible, it's poorly written, full of remedial "insight" and random thoughts from the editor. It's awful. It's a press release written below a high-school grade level. I seriously couldn't read another issue. There are so many good videogame magazines out there that actually do a good job. This one is a joke.

Best Buy did a great job suckering people.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']I, too, am sure you'll convince yourself to get a game you don't really want to justify the subscription of the magazine. And thus costing you money, not saving you money. And now you have to buy the game at Best Buy since you have to justify your subscription to the magazine.

Mark my words, this happens with 90% of the people subscribing.

And the magazine is horrible, it's poorly written, full of remedial "insight" and random thoughts from the editor. It's awful. It's a press release written below a high-school grade level. I seriously couldn't read another issue. There are so many good videogame magazines out there that actually do a good job. This one is a joke.

Best Buy did a great job suckering people.[/QUOTE]

For someone who hates the magazine and has zero interest in the deal, you sure spend a lot of time trolling it. You don't like the magazine, or the deal, we got it. Please try not to shift that hate to people who do think this is a deal with your shitty assumptions and statistics that you pull out of your ass.

[quote name='ssjmichael']The following games say hi

-GT5 CE - $59.99
-AC: Brotherhood CE - $59.99 (or lower with that $15 coupon)
-And no one has verified that Arkham Asylum GOTY has been cheaper than $15
-Weren't X-Blades, Mini Ninjas, Fairytale Fights and many others cheap or damn near free with coupons last year too? They were crap games, but no one had them cheaper is the point

People should really stop talking in absolutes....[/QUOTE]

Weren't there like 5 posts earlier saying it was $15 at Amazon? No tax. Cheaper.

And if you're using X-Blades and Fairytale Fights as justification for this argument, then I know exactly the type of gamer I'm talking to, and we're done, lol.

[quote name='ssjmichael']For someone who hates the magazine and has zero interest in the deal, you sure spend a lot of time trollingit. You don't like the magazine, or the deal, we got it. Please try not to shift that hate to people who do think this is a deal with shitty assumptions.[/QUOTE]

I read the free issue they mailed me.

They're not assumptions. Same "deal" as the 10% off regular price coupons you get in the mail. It's always cheaper somewhere else. But enjoy spending more.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']Weren't there like 5 posts earlier saying it was $15 at Amazon? No tax. Cheaper.

And if you're using X-Blades and Fairytale Fights as justification for this argument, then I know exactly the type of gamer I'm talking to, and we're done, lol.[/QUOTE]

No one has proved the GOTY edition was cheaper. You may have some difficulty reading as I said those were crap games, but it was to prove that BB does have games cheaper than others thus making your statement 100% incorrect.

"we're done" and throwing in some random insult that makes no sense is just your way of wiggling out of saying bullshit you can't back up.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']I read the free issue they mailed me.

They're not assumptions. Same "deal" as the 10% off regular price coupons you get in the mail. It's always cheaper somewhere else. But enjoy spending more.[/QUOTE]

The assumptions I'm referring to troll are the ones you're making about a so-called "90% of subscribers" who force themselves to buy some game in order to justify the subscription. That's a bullshit assumption .

In case you forgot what you wrote already, here's the bullshit again:

"I, too, am sure you'll convince yourself to get a game you don't really want to justify the subscription of the magazine. And thus costing you money, not saving you money. And now you have to buy the game at Best Buy since you have to justify your subscription to the magazine.

Mark my words, this happens with 90% of the people subscribing."

Since this is going nowhere, I won't continue to feed you. Enjoy the meals provided

-GT5 CE - $59.99
-Weren't X-Blades, Mini Ninjas, Fairytale Fights and many others cheap or damn near free with coupons last year too? They were crap games, but no one had them cheaper is the point

Fairytale Fights was free and thankfully so. That game was/is atrocious. X-Blades was already $5 at Kmart(if you could find it) and it was a sucky game too.

Well I just signed up for a subscription. I figured what the hell, its only $10. I'll just add it to the bathroom stack. If I end up using one of the coupons then that'll be a plus, but I'm really not counting on it. Honestly I feel the mag is worth a buck a issue.

Any idea is Gamer a better reading material than game informer? My 6 dollar game informer sub will expire next month and I am not seeing any more deal on it for resubscription. Also, any idea if I can sub this in store for $10.00 cuz I got some bb gift card and gift cerf.

[quote name='Xellos2099']Any idea is Gamer a better reading material than game informer? My 6 dollar game informer sub will expire next month and I am not seeing any more deal on it for resubscription.[/QUOTE]Its definitely not better than GI

[quote name='Xellos2099']Any idea is Gamer a better reading material than game informer? My 6 dollar game informer sub will expire next month and I am not seeing any more deal on it for resubscription.[/QUOTE]
Dear god no, if the edition of @Gamer that I got is any indication.

GI is bad, but @Gamer is much worse.

[quote name='Enuf']I got it for $20 after a few issues & it's paid off $10 is a steal, made my $ back on 3 games -$20 on spiderman SD ($40), -$30 on Hawx 2($20), -$15 on kingdom hearts psp($25) and I think 2 of these came in 1 issue. The KH coupon was available less then 1 month after it released.

The coupons tend to match the sale prices of the competition during that 30 day time period. Basically, if it's a $15-$20 coupon off a $60 game you'll most likely see the game on sale for $40- $45 @ target/kmart/walmart/sears etc. But b/c the coupon doesn't expire for 30 days you don't have to pick up that week. I get paid bi-weekly so this works for me. The $20-$25 coupons off $60-$40 games tend to b on titles that didn't meet sales expectations and may be on there way to a perm. $20 price drop(blur/modnation racers) and the $10 coupon on budget titles that are $20 are probably just to clear out the stock or generate interest on the sequel of that game(assassin's creed)[/QUOTE]

If there are others out there that bought at the original $20 tag, send an email to [email protected]. I did, and they extended my subscription by a few issues to "compensate" for the price drop. I don't even read the thing-I just got it for the coupons. Although I am really ticked-I really needed that AC:B coupon as I just bought a CE and the issue never showed up...

[quote name='typical guy']and in this case, all the revenue is from the developers paying them to never give worse than an average rating no matter how bad the game is.[/quote]

beware the average rating!!!!! ;)

[quote name='lobito72']beware the average rating!!!!! ;)[/QUOTE]

Oh wait, my mistake. In the issue they sent me free, I was told that they won't waste their time reviewing bad games. So that issue they only reviewed quality titles like naughty bear.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Fairytale Fights was free and thankfully so. That game was/is atrocious. X-Blades was already $5 at Kmart(if you could find it) and it was a sucky game too.[/QUOTE]

Did you really get ban from gamestop? What the hell they do put up a picture in every store within a 10 mile radius? I got 4 stores in the city I live in ! And I'm almost positive they have at least one store in all the cities around, so how did they get the word out to all the surrounding shops? crazy

[quote name='typical guy']Oh wait, my mistake. In the issue they sent me free, I was told that they won't waste their time reviewing bad games. So that issue they only reviewed quality titles like naughty bear.[/QUOTE]

Nice! Yeah, I really would think twice before taking the advice of some "reviewer" who gets his paycheck from the company trying to sell the game.

Notice: I did not say BB is writing the check. :lol:

I'm in. It's good for reading on porcelain and maybe save a few bucks. Hardly a backbreaker at $10 - and using even just one coupon will make it a no-loss deal.

-GT5 CE - $59.99

I agree with you that I think some of the Gamer coupons make it worth it. But just to clarify it was discussed in the weekly deal thread that the $15 coupon for ACB is sku specific. So the CE wouldn't get discounted another $15.

I bit on this thing back when it was $20 for a sub because it had a $15 coupon in one issue for me to use, so I figured the other $5 would be compensated in the remaining year.

The problem is I've only gotten 1 issue the last 4 months. I'd call or email but I've had medical issues so when I get a chance, I'm calling them or emailing them. The other reason I have put it off is that when I've been checking CAG, the coupons were worthless and since the literature that accompanies them is too, the MIA status of the mag was kinda moot.

Anyone else get spotty delivery with this thing? I missed the Oct. one, then got a Nov, and haven't gotten one since.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='lobito72']Nice! Yeah, I really would think twice before taking the advice of some "reviewer" who gets his paycheck from the company trying to sell the game.

Notice: I did not say BB is writing the check. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Game Informer, anyone?

I'll probably sign up cause I bet at least one issue will have a coupon to use that'll make it worth it.

[quote name='VyseArcad1a']Game Informer, anyone?

I'll probably sign up cause I bet at least one issue will have a coupon to use that'll make it worth it.[/QUOTE]

Wow. $10 a year? They should give these out for free.
The coupon is helpful, but most of the time the games are already on sale at other places.

Great deal for the magazine. However, my question is whether or not Best Buy will honor coupons that coincide with sale prices they have? I ask because recently when I've gone to purchase items in-store with 10% off coupons I've been mailed, I'm told (almost in a robotic tone- like they're reading a script) "Sorry you cannot use this coupon because the item is on sale".

If this is the case, then the coupons are meaningless (obviously us CAGs are going to maximize the value of these coupons by buying games that are already on sale).

I personally feel that magazines are not a dying breed but that's a different story. I am very much tempted to get this deal, my only problem is the biasness of the magazine.

[quote name='GenPirate']I personally feel that magazines are not a dying breed but that's a different story. I am very much tempted to get this deal, my only problem is the biasness of the magazine.[/QUOTE]

Next update to the magazine, they'll probably charge $10 and give a $10 RZ credit...I'll wait for that "deal".

[quote name='LeonSKennedy']Great deal for the magazine. However, my question is whether or not Best Buy will honor coupons that coincide with sale prices they have? I ask because recently when I've gone to purchase items in-store with 10% off coupons I've been mailed, I'm told (almost in a robotic tone- like they're reading a script) "Sorry you cannot use this coupon because the item is on sale".

If this is the case, then the coupons are meaningless (obviously us CAGs are going to maximize the value of these coupons by buying games that are already on sale).[/QUOTE]

I used several of the @gamer coupons combined with "sale" prices in the past, worked no problem. IIRC: FFXIII, PoP: Forgotten Sands, DQIX.

I don't remember the exact details, but there was one instance where the coupon initially did not work during the sale, but was then corrected to work the next day. So it seems they are intended to stack. Of course this could change, so who knows for sure.

-

[quote name='gunstar808']I used several of the @gamer coupons combined with "sale" prices in the past, worked no problem. IIRC: FFXIII, PoP: Forgotten Sands, DQIX.

I don't remember the exact details, but there was one instance where the coupon initially did not work during the sale, but was then corrected to work the next day. So it seems they are intended to stack. Of course this could change, so who knows for sure.

-[/QUOTE]

It sounds like a YMMV thing to me. Could you kindly look at a coupon and see if it says that it can't be used on sale items? On the free magazine I got, it said that on all the coupons...

It seems to me that the people advocating this mag are those that have a Best Buy that lets them buy sale items with coupons while those that don't want it or are worried are those that have had previously bad experiences.

[quote name='typical guy']It sounds like a YMMV thing to me. Could you kindly look at a coupon and see if it says that it can't be used on sale items? On the free magazine I got, it said that on all the coupons...[/QUOTE]

It's funny you mention this because I too received the "free" copy in the mail, and used it to buy POP: The Forgotten Sands for $14.99 when it was on sale for $29.99 (used a GAMER $15 off coupon when it was on sale). My experience before was that if you had the coupon, they honored it no matter what the current price of the title was (I doubt they give it to you for free if it's $19.99, and there's a $20 off coupon for it in the magazine though).

[quote name='typical guy']It sounds like a YMMV thing to me. Could you kindly look at a coupon and see if it says that it can't be used on sale items? On the free magazine I got, it said that on all the coupons...

It seems to me that the people advocating this mag are those that have a Best Buy that lets them buy sale items with coupons while those that don't want it or are worried are those that have had previously bad experiences.[/QUOTE]

Well that is definitely standard wording for most of their coupons through the years, and it is definitely YMMV on that (sometimes its worked for me, sometimes not). I don't live close enough to a BB to fool with that. That combined with not being able to use them online makes the only way I'm getting this magazine is free. Not to mention their sale prices suck compared to pre-CC failure anyway.

Well I suppose it is somewhat YMMV on the coupon+sale price. But if the past is any indication, it should work for most people.

These coupons have been discussed a lot on CAG since the magazine launched. The coupons stacked without any sort of override. So the only way you could get rejected was some overzealous CSR would refuse the coupon without trying it.

If it helps any, the Gamer Club coupons also stacked with sale prices in the past. I'm pretty sure those also had fine print that said something like "Won't work on sale prices."

[quote name='Altanis']While CCC is great to get a general idea, they don't always catch everything.

I don't follow PS3/360 gaming prices that much, and I am pretty sure that the game in question was $15 at Amazon during Black Friday.[/QUOTE]

CCC is pretty good.
If the sale last 24 hrs. its on there.

Each issue of The Best Buy Gamer magazine has over $100 in coupons... best price I've seen so far for a yearly sub. is 70% off ($14.99/yr.)

Offer expires 2/14

LINK

Personally, I'm still on the fence on this, but I think it can be a good deal. I happen to live VERY close to a Best Buy and we don't have Kmart's here in Houston any more. I agree that Amazon can often be better, but when Best Buy and Amazon are the same (minus the tax) I often elect to buy a title at Best Buy just so I can pick up the reward zone points (and never mind the extra reward zone points that kick in if you are part of the gamer's club).

Probably also worth mentioning that I'm rewardzone silver so I can bank points without gift certificates expiring.

That said, I still buy most of my games off of the Target clearance rack or amazon... I probably only pick 5-6 titles from Best Buy a year, but still... all I need to do is to hit on 1 or 2 to make this worthwhile.

A year's subscription to @Gamer is only $10, possibly for a limited time, if you sign up on their website.

P.S. sorry if this has already been posted

I received this "magazine" for free a few days ago. This magazine is a product of Future Publishing. Future also publishes "Nintendo Power", "Official XBOX Magazine", and "PlayStation: The Official Magazine".
Best Buy is clearly having some kind of issue (pun intended) selling this magazine. It has only be available for a few months and is already being offered at half price. Best Buy should be ashamed of themselves to think that us gamers are foolish enough to just drop another $20 on a shiny new game magazine...that has coupons oooooh. I'm glad the release of this magazine didn't meet Best Buy's expectations. The content of this magazine is so piss poor, and clearly biased. However, something that I do like about this magazine is, the lack of bullshit advertising. There are very few ads in this mag compared to any of the others listed above. Any ad that is in the mag is either a game ad, or a game product/accessory that can be purchased at Best Buy. These ads actually pertain to me, and it is also a reminder of what is new in the gaming world. The other thing I like is the "release calendar". It takes up the whole page and lists all the games that are coming out, along with gaming celebs B-days and stuff. It reminds me of the old Game Informer release date calender.
All in all, it is written poorly, and is safe for kids. If I had a kid with ADD who wanted to read a magazine, and not spend a lot of time reading in depth reviews, this is a good choice. For an adult with so many other good video game magazines available out there, I would pass this up. If you do decide to get it, don't do it for the reviews. For those who are doing it for the coupons, I'm sure the same deal will be able to be available somewhere else eventually...unless of course it has anything to do with Batman GOTY edition...lol
For a Future publication, it is sad to see them selling out to Best Buy.

[quote name='ShirtSizeXXXLXT']I received this "magazine" for free a few days ago. This magazine is a product of Future Publishing. Future also publishes "Nintendo Power", "Official XBOX Magazine", and "PlayStation: The Official Magazine".
Best Buy is clearly having some kind of issue (pun intended) selling this magazine. It has only be available for a few months and is already being offered at half price. Best Buy should be ashamed of themselves to think that us gamers are foolish enough to just drop another $20 on a shiny new game magazine...that has coupons oooooh. I'm glad the release of this magazine didn't meet Best Buy's expectations. The content of this magazine is so piss poor, and clearly biased. However, something that I do like about this magazine is, the lack of bullshit advertising. There are very few ads in this mag compared to any of the others listed above. Any ad that is in the mag is either a game ad, or a game product/accessory that can be purchased at Best Buy. These ads actually pertain to me, and it is also a reminder of what is new in the gaming world. The other thing I like is the "release calendar". It takes up the whole page and lists all the games that are coming out, along with gaming celebs B-days and stuff. It reminds me of the old Game Informer release date calender.
All in all, it is written poorly, and is safe for kids. If I had a kid with ADD who wanted to read a magazine, and not spend a lot of time reading in depth reviews, this is a good choice. For an adult with so many other good video game magazines available out there, I would pass this up. If you do decide to get it, don't do it for the reviews. For those who are doing it for the coupons, I'm sure the same deal will be able to be available somewhere else eventually...unless of course it has anything to do with Batman GOTY edition...lol
For a Future publication, it is sad to see them selling out to Best Buy.[/QUOTE]

All the other magazines you mentioned get offered at 50% or more off all the time.....

[quote name='ShirtSizeXXXLXT']The content of this magazine is so piss poor, and clearly biased. However, something that I do like about this magazine is, the lack of bullshit advertising.[/QUOTE]

Uhh... everything in the magazine is an ad.

[quote name='Woolagaroo']When I go to their website, it says $15 for a year's subscription.

Is there any really good reason to pay for a subscription?[/QUOTE]

If you want to gamble with the coupons being good and you need some cheap toilet paper.

[quote name='LordVila']If you want to gamble with the coupons being good and you need some cheap toilet paper.[/QUOTE]

queue the pain, @gamer does not qualify as toilet paper. Imagine being upset they only ripped off $10. Now think what would be ripped off if you used it as TP.

How about.....

If you need something to start the fire in your fireplace?

I went ahead and bought it for the $9.99 price. I hope their will be some sort of useful coupon over the next 10 months that I would really use.

-GT5 CE - $59.99

I know this comment was a while ago but when did they have a Mini ninjas near free and how much, and those were BB RZ coupons that made those other games free.

Best buy is going down the drain and this failure is a show for it. The only time the magazine was decent was that 1 month article where you could get splinter cell conviction for really cheap and even then it wasn't worth keeping, ended up flipping it for a small profit.

Thank you for posting this. I have a 2 year subscription already, so this will add a third for $10. I like the magazine and the coupons are an added bonus.

bread's done
Back