Gamer mom/dad thread

A girl I went to high school with just had a baby and she had a friend paint the room in an ocean theme. It is just fucking amazing.

559574_2987262449500_2053311453_n.jpg

Im not a gamer dad, Im a gamer mom, so sorry if Im intruding. It took us about a year to get pregnant. I read the book "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" from cover to cover. AWESOME book when you are trying to get pregnant. I charted my cycles (drove my husband crazy from time to time) with no luck. But was able to see that I wasn't always ovulating. I was eventually put on clomid, and then finally got pregnant. That seemed to kick start things because when our first was only 6mos old, I found out I was pregnant again. The look on my husband's face was priceless.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']My wife and I have been trying to have a baby for the last year or so without any luck. We started the infertility tests a month ago and we're getting ready to start taking fertility pills. Apparently there is an increased chance of twins but no chance or triplets according to the doc. Anyone hesse have some experience with infertility?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='season187']Im not a gamer dad, Im a gamer mom, so sorry if Im intruding. It took us about a year to get pregnant. I read the book "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" from cover to cover. AWESOME book when you are trying to get pregnant. I charted my cycles (drove my husband crazy from time to time) with no luck. But was able to see that I wasn't always ovulating. I was eventually put on clomid, and then finally got pregnant. That seemed to kick start things because when our first was only 6mos old, I found out I was pregnant again. The look on my husband's face was priceless.[/QUOTE]

We were charting the cycles and using fertility sticks, etc. This current cycle my wife is being put on Clomid and we are going to do IUI. All the tests came back and nothing is physically wrong with either of us so they chart it up to 'unexplained fertility' which is actually about 50% of all cases. Crossing my fingers that the IUI works and we can just move on.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']A girl I went to high school with just had a baby and she had a friend paint the room in an ocean theme. It is just fucking amazing.

559574_2987262449500_2053311453_n.jpg
[/QUOTE]

That's really cool thanks for sharing. Encendido, you have a nice set up too.

My wife made these cool banners using Annimal Crossing playing cards I got from Nintendo's Club. My daughter likes them.

DoK, that is pretty awesome! I'll keep that in mind if we have another baby.

Sorry season187, I didn't mean to exclude the CAG moms. I can't change the thread title, but I would love to see everybody's parenting perspectives.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']We were charting the cycles and using fertility sticks, etc. This current cycle my wife is being put on Clomid and we are going to do IUI. All the tests came back and nothing is physically wrong with either of us so they chart it up to 'unexplained fertility' which is actually about 50% of all cases. Crossing my fingers that the IUI works and we can just move on.[/QUOTE]

I really hope IUI works for you. Trying to have a kid really does stink when you have to put so much effort into it. On the bright side, at least there isn't a known issue that completely shoots down the chances of you guys conceiving a baby. Good luck!

[quote name='encendido5']
Sorry season187, I didn't mean to exclude the CAG moms. I can't change the thread title, but I would love to see everybody's parenting perspectives.[/QUOTE]

That's ok. I rarely post in gaming forums because they intimidate me. LOL This is the first forum where I am actually starting to come out of my shell. Probably because I have a huge addiction to bargain shopping and gaming. Glad moms are welcome on this thread as well. :)

My wife and I had two miscarriages before we were blessed with a beautiful little girl who will be two this coming Wed. Keep trying. Good things will come.

Fatherhood is such a blessing. Father of six and my oldest will be a full fledged teenager in less than two weeks. I still the remember the first time I held him. Just remember each one is different and needs a different approach.

John Arthur was born yesterday at 1:50 pm. 7 lbs 11 oz and 20 1/2 inches he was. Surprising, because we had expected bigger from how her OBGYN had talked.

Excuse me guys, is this where I apply for my 'Gamer Dad' ID card? Got our first bundle on the way in September, so in addition to getting our house (and lives) in order I'm trying to get through as much of my existing backlog as possible. I can only imagine how things are going to pile up after we bring this kid home.

The new guy (yep, it's a boy) is due right around Borderlands 2, so in addition to all the other stresses I've been wondering if I'll even get to play Borderlands at some point in the next six months.

From what Backlash said, I might be all clear with the newborn (as long as the wife doesn't mind) but its when they get older that game time is going to be hard to find.

Well, no matter what I'm happy to finally be joining the club. When this kid is out and mommy and baby are doing well, drinks are on me!

Congrats to Gden and Tengaport!

Tenga - our daughter is nearly 2 and she was born in late September - that's right around when all the good games come out! Well not necessarily but BL2! I've already prepped my wife that I'll be doing a lot of late night gaming after her and my daughter are asleep when it comes out - BL was my fav game of the past several years. My gaming has certainly dwindled since my daughter was born. I can't really do marathon sessions anymore. Our tv/movie watching has pretty nearly ceased as well. I'm good with it though - I mean I sorta crave sci-fi drama every now and then but I don't really miss it too much. I've managed to do one play-through on ME3 and probably put in 40+ hours on multiplayer ME3 so I'm still gaming some when I find a game that I'm really interested in - which seems to be increasingly difficult to find these days really.

I know ya feel bro. Not much gaming for me either. A few hours here and there but I'm happy with it. I got used to it. My 2 year old is much more fun than any video game.

Our daughter just turned 3 earlier this month, and man... does time fly. My 8:30-11:30 PM gaming time has been working out nicely for the past three years. The wife is content with playing on her iPad at night, as she is the type of person who requires an abundance of alone time. Works for me... as I don't have to deal with guilt.

Boy #2 (Child #3) arrived yesterday here. Everyone is happy and I'm looking forward to the baby/game bonding time, provided our 6-year-old and 4-year-old allow it.

Congrats to all the new Dads and Moms! While your gaming will take a back seat to parenting, you can always squeeze in some gaming time in between feedings. :) The best part is, as your kids get older, you can share your favorite hobby with them!

When I met my wife she had never owned a video game system, and had maybe played her cousin's Atari a couple times. Now she plays more than I do and is an RPG fanatic. My son was holding a SNES controller before he could crawl, he always had to hold a controller while Daddy played. My daughter broke my Dreamcast, she climbed our entertainment shelving by standing on plugged in Dreamcast controllers during her terrible twos. She also wanted to hold controllers while I played... but she was smart enough to figure out that the ones not plugged in didn't move the characters on the TV!

Fast forward two decades. Due to work, I play even less these days... I usually only play a couple of hours on the weekends. The kids? Now, they're 18 and 15 respectively, and have their own HDTV's and Xbox 360's in their rooms. The family that games together, stays together!

Congrats to all! My daughter just turned 3 months. My oldest (6) and I have have been playing skyward sword together. She loves flying around and going to the Lumpy Pumpkin. Gaming time just evolves with kids.

Yeah it is fun gaming with your kids. I have a 6 and a 4 year old. We play Skylanders, LEGO games, Just Dance 4, SMB-WiiU, and Nintendoland together. It does add another element of joy and fun seeing your kids having a blast. 

My daughter and I just completed our first game together. We played Lego PotC to completion. I must say, at just four-years-old (she just turned four), I was quite impressed with her hand/eye coordination and basic problem solving skills. Sure, it's not a necessarily difficult game, but she was quick to pick-up the mechanics and followed the non-verbal narrative relatively well. Now we must play all of the Lego games... or at least that's what she tels me.

My 2 year old isn't gaming yet (well other than the iPad) but he sure loves those Disney movies. He can watch Dumbo and Lion King over and over.

Decided to dig up this old thread. My daughter is now 3 and is starting to show an intrest in video games. I decided to start her off with Super Mario and we play for about 10 or 15 minutes a couple times a week. She really doesn't know what she's doing and often hands the controller to me because she gets frustrated. We also tried out a couple other games like Kirby, Mario 2 & Hamster Ball.

A friend of mine has a 1 year old and I asked him to help me kill a boss in Dark Souls one evening. While in chat I hear his kid in the background and he's talking to his wife. I didn't say anything but I would never play a game like Dark Souls infront of my kid. Similarlly my brother would often play Call of Duty in front of his daughter. Also my wife would kill me if I played a violent game in front of our daughter.

I never play "my" games around her, but I did start playing a little Kingdom Hearts 1.5. Not many action parts and it's only for maybe 20 - 30 minutes. Mainly cutscenes with characters she knows and the Winnie the Pooh missions. My wife doesn't mind (she is not a gamer) but I was curious how other dads handle their gaming time with their kids.

I really don't play anything unless my son is asleep.  The only games I've tried playing with him around are things like Toy Story 3 or The Unfinished Swan, but he doesn't seem to be too interested.  He does love to play Angry Birds and Bad Piggies even though he doesn't know what he's doing.

I also don't play anything other than age appropriate games in front of the kids.  I have a stack of games I'll never got to because I only have about an hour to play after everyone is asleep!  Lego games, Skylanders, Disney Infinity, etc keep us plenty busy though!

My 3 year old just started console gaming -- :360: Angry Birds Trilogy. It's a nice & easy conversion for him from his favorite game on the iPad. Took a little adjusting for him to use the analog stick instead of his finger, but his hand-eye coordination is pretty spot on for a little kiddo his age.

While kids had it pretty good in my day (late 80s, early 90s), they've definitely got it made nowadays. They are way more advanced than any of us were when we were that age, that's for sure.

Do you guys have any recommendations for a train table I can double as a coffee table?  I want to get something with storage and good quality.  

Do you guys have any recommendations for a train table I can double as a coffee table? I want to get something with storage and good quality.
Not that I use it as a coffee table, but we use the Imaginarium table that was available at Toys R Us for $150 -- I'm not sure if they are available in-store anymore, but if you look on Craigslist or Classifieds/Facebook Classifieds for your city, you can probably find them pretty cheap from someone looking to offload theirs. We bought ours from a Facebook Classified for $50. It's fairly solid. It has two large drawers for storage, and you can use a Rubbermaid-type storage bin to slide underneath it depending on how much storage space you want to utilize.

After about a year, the drawer started to fall apart -- granted, we had it overloaded with wooden railway trains & track, lol -- but it was an easy fix if you know how to use a hammer & nails.

Not that I use it as a coffee table, but we use the Imaginarium table that was available at Toys R Us for $150 -- I'm not sure if they are available in-store anymore, but if you look on Craigslist or Classifieds/Facebook Classifieds for your city, you can probably find them pretty cheap from someone looking to offload theirs. We bought ours from a Facebook Classified for $50. It's fairly solid. It has two large drawers for storage, and you can use a Rubbermaid-type storage bin to slide underneath it depending on how much storage space you want to utilize.

After about a year, the drawer started to fall apart -- granted, we had it overloaded with wooden railway trains & track, lol -- but it was an easy fix if you know how to use a hammer & nails.
Thanks for the recommendation. I started checking CL, but it seems people around here want a lot of money for their busted tables :lol:

I did some research and I really like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/KidKraft-17935-Metropolis-Train-Table/dp/B003BVK28A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382386818&sr=8-1&keywords=kidkraft+metropolis

It looks like it will fit in with the rest of our furniture and it even has a plain brown table top when it's not used for play. They don't sell it in stores unfortunately, but I can get it from Target.com with free shipping and can return it if anything.

Thanks for the recommendation. I started checking CL, but it seems people around here want a lot of money for their busted tables :lol:

I did some research and I really like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/KidKraft-17935-Metropolis-Train-Table/dp/B003BVK28A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382386818&sr=8-1&keywords=kidkraft+metropolis

It looks like it will fit in with the rest of our furniture and it even has a plain brown table top when it's not used for play. They don't sell it in stores unfortunately, but I can get it from Target.com with free shipping and can return it if anything.
Pretty sleek. I like it! Wish I had seen this one before we bought the Imaginarium.

I'm joining the club in the end of May and I already picked out the baby seat that matches my BRZ. :D

0088285499107_500X500.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A friend of mine has a 1 year old and I asked him to help me kill a boss in Dark Souls one evening. While in chat I hear his kid in the background and he's talking to his wife. I didn't say anything but I would never play a game like Dark Souls infront of my kid. Similarlly my brother would often play Call of Duty in front of his daughter. Also my wife would kill me if I played a violent game in front of our daughter.

I never play "my" games around her, but I did start playing a little Kingdom Hearts 1.5. Not many action parts and it's only for maybe 20 - 30 minutes. Mainly cutscenes with characters she knows and the Winnie the Pooh missions. My wife doesn't mind (she is not a gamer) but I was curious how other dads handle their gaming time with their kids.
Late reply to your post, but yeah, I cringe when I hear people playing mature games around their kids, they must not realize how much their kids actually absorb. One of my daughter's playmates (age 4) was talking about how he loves to sit and watch his daddy play Deadpool on the 360. I really didn't know how to respond to that.

Luckily I'm a kid at heart, so about 70% of the games I play are clean enough to play around my kids. I love trying new games to get my older daughter into it, definitely one of the most rewarding VG experiences when something just clicks with her.

The remaining 30% usually isn't that bad anyways (I usually don't push beyond T ratings anymore), and that's usually either co-op with the wife or the rare chance of solo gameplay after they go to bed.

Thanks, dude. Hopefully for the better! :lol:
Yes, the change is certainly for the better, it just might not be apparent at first. Just expect your habits and free time to change with the arrival, and enjoy the new responsibilities and activities. Maybe you'll get lucky and your kid will be a big time couch + chest sleeper for the first couple of months, makes for good play sessions (neither of my kids so far were that way though).

I found out right before Christmas that we are having baby #2!  We are both pretty excited.  I can't wait to see how my son interacts with the new baby.

For X-Mas I bought my daughter (3 1/2 yrs old) "Disney Princess Enchanted Journey" for Wii. I figured it's something we can play together on my days off. So we popped it in for the first time last week. As you can imagine it's an extremly easy and simple game and it's pretty much impossible to die. All was good until we got to an enemy that slows you down and stops time. You wave the wiimote to cast spells, simple stuff, but she was having difficulty attacking him. After a few seconds of not being able to hit him she exploded and started crying. Well kinda sorta crying, more like whining.

I immediatly turned it off which at that point made her Super Saiyan angry. She wanted me to turn it back on. Of course I said "no". Not yelling at her but I sent her to her room to calm down. After about 5 minutes I walked in and talked to her about her behaviour. I made it clear we will not play any video games if she acts like that. She said she was sorry and that was that. But I am a little afraid to have her play it again but if we do I'm going to make it clear I'll turn it off as soon as I see her getting frustrated.

Any similar stories for you dads and moms? And how did you handle it? I think I did a well enough job with my situation but I'm open for suggestions.

You did well enough, that's about the same approach I have when my 4 1/2 daughter plays.  If she's getting frustrated to the point of annoyance (for both of us), more hyper whining than talking frustration, I will tell her it's time to stop if she doesn't calm down.  Often she understands that and starts asking reasonably for me to help or to change games, but at those times where she doesn't, I just turn the TV off and remove her (as civil as possible with someone under the age of 5) and send her to her room to calm down.

Afterwards we try to talk about it and why she was frustrated, but the message isn't always received.  I try different games with her at different times, and if I can tell she's not skilled / patient enough for it at her current age, I wait a few more months to see if she's matured enough.

Maybe it's just a daughter thing, as I've played with my nephews and they get bored with a game long before they get ornery.

Congrats dohdough! Hope you have a handheld of choice.
Awesome, congrats! You're going to be just a bit busy for the next few years :lol:
Thanks guys!

I have a psp, but I think that I'll probably be too busy to play. Besides, I'm really loving daddy/daughter time! I just wish I did those squats, curls, and pull-ups so I could hold her longer. :)

encen, it looks like our lunch/autocross date will have to be postponed for the time being...haha.

OR I could post on CAG. :lol:

Not going to lie though, I wish I had time to finish off the MGS demo.

bread's done
Back