Gamer profile temporarily corrupted?

Allnatural

CAGiversary!
I was looking through my achievements last night when suddenly, they're gone. All of them. I have my profile and saves on a USB drive (I trust flash drives a bit more than HDs). When I checked the drive it showed that my profile was corrupted. After a reboot things were back to normal.

I'm thinking it might be a connection problem. I plugged the drive into my PC to do a backup and noticed that a little jiggling in one of the USB ports would cause a disconnection. I suppose the drive could be a bit lose in the 360 a well. Or it's going to fail...

I'm getting rid of it regardless. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

Well, this doesn't really help me, but I've narrowed it down to a problem with The Orange Box. I can scroll through my list of achievements until I reach TOB. That's the first game to show a blank tab, after which they all do and my profile is suddenly corrupted. I can load any game I've played before or since without problems (after a reboot); all saves and achievements are present in-game. TOB will also load, achievements and all, but as soon as I exit that game the profile is corrupted.

This is why I hate gamer profiles and the fact that saves are linked to them. One corrupted save I could live with, but I may lose all of them if I can't fix this somehow (offline profile means no recovery via Live).

That's really unusual, and I'm sorry to hear about it. I've never heard about such a problem, and I've never had it myself. I imagine it might have to do ith the USB and the backing up of saves via PC. Something may have happened in the lates transfer.

It doesn't help now, but I'd highly recommend getting a Silver account for the future, if only to connect once a month or something to back up your gamertag. Now that Microsoft has annoucned it will be implementing Cloud Saving to their service (though whether it applies to all users or Gold only is currently unknown), it's even more of a reason to connect.

why is it so hard to recover your profile from live? all it takes is to plugging a ethernet to your xbox. you might lose your achievements but you can still use your saves.

unless you modded your xbox and got banned, which explains the corrupted profile.

[quote name='shosh']why is it so hard to recover your profile from live? all it takes is to plugging a ethernet to your xbox. you might lose your achievements but you can still use your saves.[/QUOTE]
*shrug* Nothing I can do about that now. Besides, my saves still work, The Orange Box excluded.

It's kind of like Schrödinger's cat. My profile isn't corrupted unless I look at it, so I just have to avoid looking at it. :D

[quote name='Allnatural']*shrug* Nothing I can do about that now. Besides, my saves still work, The Orange Box excluded.

It's kind of like Schrödinger's cat. My profile isn't corrupted unless I look at it, so I just have to avoid looking at it. :D[/QUOTE]

Well, the fact is, connecting your profile now to Xbox LIVE would afford you Gamertag recovery in the future, so you should probably do it. And you never know if one of the LIVE auto-patches or if one of the Orange Box auto-patches would fix your problem.

I was going to say, I had a similar problem, and deleting my gamertag from my USB drive, and recovering it from XBL fixed my problem. But if your profile is strictly an offline profile, not even a Live Silver/Free account, you're probably screwed. Definitely at least use a silver profile, as stated above, so that you can back it up online, and download patches for your games. The majority of games ship with bugs that get patched, so if you're offline only, you're not getting those bug fixes.

Fixed. I had to sacrifice a few hundred gamerpoints (I won't go into detail), but the corruption is gone.

This got me thinking. Hypothetically, if I had recovered my gamertag from before a particular achievement was earned (for example, one for level completion) but I only had a save from after completion. Would I not be able to acquire that achievement without replaying the level? If replaying that level wasn't an option, I suppose I'd have to replay from the beginning if I were intent on getting that one achievement. Or maybe the save would be no good, since it would technically be "out-of-sync" with the game.

I'm not an achievement hound by any stretch, just curious.

bread's done
Back