Gamers and Our Significant Others

sheepboy_1923

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Dating non-gamers isn't so bad...

My boyfriend did the coolest thing this morning (excepting morning sex, of course). At 5:50 AM Central time, he woke me up and said, "I didn't hear your alarm, but it's almost EBGames time."

I didn't realize that he even paid attention when I tell him about the games I'm looking for, let alone my morning EB updates. In a geeky sort of way, I was moved.

That's pretty cool...two years ago my wife came home from shopping and after about 10 minutes in the house, she says, "Oh, I think I left a bag in the trunk, would you get it for me?" I head out to the car, open the trunk, and find a brand new Xbox sitting there. I was shocked.

She's a non-gamer, but I'm making strides thanks to Super Monkey Ball and Mario Kart.

I hear you. My wife has stood in the cold with me for more game/system launches than I care to count!

Okay, truthfully it's just been a couple times, but it's still damned sweet of her. :D

[quote name='Jerichoedge']That's pretty cool...two years ago my wife came home from shopping and after about 10 minutes in the house, she says, "Oh, I think I left a bag in the trunk, would you get it for me?" I head out to the car, open the trunk, and find a brand new Xbox sitting there. I was shocked.

She's a non-gamer, but I'm making strides thanks to Super Monkey Ball and Mario Kart.[/QUOTE]
I remember coming home from classes on my birthday a few years ago and finding an N64 hooked up to our TV and a Zelda cart in it.

Mario Kart and Super Monkey Ball are great games for nongamers. DS has a lot of non-trad games that might be fun. I got the bf hooked on Nintendogs and we've pre-ordered Mario Kart.

believe it or not, my girlfriend got started on LOTR: ROTK for the xbox. after that she moved onto mariokart: DD, and of course she's always loved playing the old DK Country among a host of other classics (SMW, old MarioKarts, etc.). But LOTR: ROTK, she absolutely loved... we beat it on co-op (she's the only reason we beat that mother of a spider). i sold it to eb like a jackass, and only just recently re-bought it when it dropped to 5$ at KB. well worth it. she makes an effort, which i appreciate. i am totally lucky, hot chicks hardly ever like videogames.

[quote name='sheepboy_1923']I remember coming home from classes on my birthday a few years ago and finding an N64 hooked up to our TV and a Zelda cart in it.

Mario Kart and Super Monkey Ball are great games for nongamers. DS has a lot of non-trad games that might be fun. I got the bf hooked on Nintendogs and we've pre-ordered Mario Kart.[/QUOTE]

Nintendawesome FTW!

My GF won't touch the things. She gets frustrated just playing pacman. Though I got her three kids into games. The 12 year old was home sick last week. After 2-3 days playing Halo non-stop she's gotten really good. It was her first time playing it too, but now she's able to get some kills on me. I'll have to take her online soon.

yup,

Good times in Co-Op baldurs gate 1 & 2. As well as the Donkey Kong Country on SNES, etc.

We recently went on a SNES kick and played quite a few games together. I gotta love my wife.

Hopefully she will stand outside with me on the upcoming Xbox 360 release... The more stores we are at the better the odds.

whenever i talk on the phone and start to not listen...she just asks "Are you looking at that cheap butt gamer site again?"

My ex was jealous of my gaming habit. She treated it like it was childish.

I wish I could find an understanding woman, all of you are very lucky.

My wife's great. She got me a launch PSP after getting the Big V. She likes a lot of games too. Loves the first few Spyro the Dragon's, Loves the whole Mario Party series ( 5 was my favorite), Grew up on NES & SMB3. Kicks my ass at Soul Calibur. We unknowlingly got each other DS's for christmas last year. She really is my best friend. If only she'd play Street Fighter. :p
-G

My wife's great. She got me a launch PSP after getting the Big V. She likes a lot of games too. Loves the first few Spyro the Dragon's, Loves the whole Mario Party series ( 5 was my favorite), Grew up on NES & SMB3. Kicks my ass at Soul Calibur. We unknowlingly got each other DS's for christmas last year. She really is my best friend. If only she'd play Street Fighter. :p
-G

My wife isn't much of a gamer either. But every so often. She hates game stores so usually doesn't shop for them with me, but she did make cupcakes with Dreamcast logos on them on 9/9/99. :)

The first Christmas we were married I got her a GameGear and she liked Columns. She got into Bust-a-Move, Tekken 2, Soul Blade, Worms:Armageddon and Animal Crossing each for a little while.

She does like the DS though. In fact, I bought her her own for her birthday (imported the pink one from Japan) so we could do multiplayer games. She pretty much sticks to Zoo Keeper and Yoshi T'n'G. We'll also play Mario Kart-DD or Mario Party with our son sometimes.

My exgirlfriend wasn't a gamer, but she played a lot of SNES when she was a kid... and would beat my ass in Super Mario World (a game I thought I was actually very good at, too).

But you should have seen her play Return to Castle Wolfenstein. It was cute. :)

... fuckin' bitch. >:[

*reads first post*

*sees mention of morning sex with boyfriend*

*realizes the OP is also a man*

*shakes head (not that there's anything wrong with that)*

*makes this post*

*leaves topic*

^^ lol lol lol I don't think anyone else realized that...

"Biography:
Puttin' the Gay in Gamer Since 1986" lol funny sheepboy

[quote name='DJSteel']"we cannot afford a Xbox 360" - the wife

**passes out in fear and shock**[/QUOTE]

"Even though you can totally afford an Xbox 360 I don't see the need for another game system in the house - you have enough as it is." - the wife

**passes out in fear and shock**

I don't know who has it worse. The real kick in the ass is that my wife likes videogames but just thinks enough is enough.

I noticed it too. But, I don't have a GF at the moment...although everyone I've dated recently has sat down and played some games with me, so that's always good.

[quote name='bostonfrontier']I wish my girlfriend liked games......... all she ever seems to want to do is have sex[/QUOTE]

Yeah, mine's the same way.

I was playing FFIX while on the phone with her and she started calling it "the bird game" because the menu sound sounded like a bird chirping to her.

[quote name='optimolife']^^ lol lol lol I don't think anyone else realized that...

"Biography:
Puttin' the Gay in Gamer Since 1986" lol funny sheepboy[/QUOTE]

I noticed but didn't really care...

As for me, my fiancee hadn't played games since the SNES days. However, over the past few months, she has started to really enjoy Burnout 3 (I have Revenge but haven't opened it yet), Tony Hawk's American Wasteland (She got upset when I mentioend that I was tired of it and wanted to trade it in toward a PS2), Nintendogs, Mario Kart Double Dash, and Mario Superstar Baseball.

She hasn't really even tried many other games, but I'm sure I have some others that she would enjoy. We're going to try Donkey Konga 1 or 2 together soon, and the other night when I popped in Animal Crossing for the first time in a year, she seemed intrigued.

She does know that I go to this site, and she knows that zewone is obsessed with her. She's also spoken to some friends ofmine on Live before.

[quote name='Matt Young']I noticed but didn't really care...

As for me, my fiancee hadn't played games since the SNES days. However, over the past few months, she has started to really enjoy Burnout 3 (I have Revenge but haven't opened it yet), Tony Hawk's American Wasteland (She got upset when I mentioend that I was tired of it and wanted to trade it in toward a PS2), Nintendogs, Mario Kart Double Dash, and Mario Superstar Baseball.

She hasn't really even tried many other games, but I'm sure I have some others that she would enjoy. We're going to try Donkey Konga 1 or 2 together soon, and the other night when I popped in Animal Crossing for the first time in a year, she seemed intrigued.

She does know that I go to this site, and she knows that zewone is obsessed with her. She's also spoken to some friends ofmine on Live before.[/QUOTE]

Does she know your father was the greatest high school football player of all-time? :rofl:

I forgot. My wife also picked up a copy of Shaq-Fu (SNES)for me as a stocking stuffer after I told her about the filter on this site. I've yet to have the courage to try it out though.
-G

[quote name='psiufoxx2']Nintendawesome FTW![/QUOTE]
I think people sometimes mistake me for a Nintendo fanboy, but Nintendo makes games that seem a little more accessible to non-trad gamers. So I buy them in hopes of drawing the bf into gaming. (He's promised that we'll get a Revolution on launch.)

I forgot to mention Alien Hominid. We love that game! Reminds me of the good ol' days of Contra. Does anyone know if the Metal Slug games co-op as well?

My wife surprised me with a PSP for our 1 year wedding anniversary. Never expected it. I would have never spent the money on one for myself, but she knew I had my eye on it...

[quote name='sheepboy_1923']I think people sometimes mistake me for a Nintendo fanboy, but Nintendo makes games that seem a little more accessible to non-trad gamers. So I buy them in hopes of drawing the bf into gaming. (He's promised that we'll get a Revolution on launch.)

I forgot to mention Alien Hominid. We love that game! Reminds me of the good ol' days of Contra. Does anyone know if the Metal Slug games co-op as well?[/QUOTE]
Yes

my GF sticks to the gamecube while i focus my time on ps2 rpgs. her hand-eye coordination is lacking so i used to get frustrated watching her play games, until i decided to set up the ps2 on the other tv.

[quote name='Quillion']My ex was jealous of my gaming habit. She treated it like it was childish.

I wish I could find an understanding woman, all of you are very lucky.[/QUOTE]

It was more than the games you put in front of me. And understanding I was. I was planning on spending my life with you even though you're rough and highly distracted. What happened was it was going to be to much work on your end and you bailed. The childish part......well, I'm older than you. I only game when I have a chance....not live my life when I get a free moment from the games. I'm sure if I could have sat around, watched you play, fetched your dinner, and put out on demand it may have worked.......then I woke up. So when you find your gaming whore who wants nothing more than to believe you walk on water.........have fun with her.

[quote name='Hot Donna']It was more than the games you put in front of me. And understanding I was. I was planning on spending my life with you even though you're rough and highly distracted. What happened was it was going to be to much work on your end and you bailed. The childish part......well, I'm older than you. I only game when I have a chance....not live my life when I get a free moment from the games. I'm sure if I could have sat around, watched you play, fetched your dinner, and put out on demand it may have worked.......then I woke up. So when you find your gaming whore who wants nothing more than to believe you walk on water.........have fun with her.[/QUOTE]

Holy shit, owned....

My girlfriend actually has gone as far as to say she hates videogames. It is most unfortunate, I've tried to get to the root of this clearly concerning hatred, but to little avail. Her ex played games a bit, and she didn't care for that, including wasting money that they didn't have on video games and she had friends who'd all get real into games while she'd zone out. If there's any one thing that could ruin our relationship this is it, but we're both willing to work through it as #1 I really don't play many games anymore, and #2 I've made haters into gamers before, I've just got to find the right game.

Although... she didn't care for Mario Party which is usually a guarantee :whistle2:k

[quote name='Hot Donna']It was more than the games you put in front of me. And understanding I was. I was planning on spending my life with you even though you're rough and highly distracted. What happened was it was going to be to much work on your end and you bailed. The childish part......well, I'm older than you. I only game when I have a chance....not live my life when I get a free moment from the games. I'm sure if I could have sat around, watched you play, fetched your dinner, and put out on demand it may have worked.......then I woke up. So when you find your gaming whore who wants nothing more than to believe you walk on water.........have fun with her.[/QUOTE]

Did that just happen??

Gaming with my girlfriend is a difficult balancing act. She plays games. She just doesn't play them the same way that I do. First of all her computer is a Mac, and the only game she has for it is the Sims. Her family has owned a Commodore 64, a PC, a Mac, an Atari 2600, a Gameboy, an NES, a 3DO, a Playstation, and a PS2, so she definitely comfortable around them. She likes to play games with me, but she's not that skilled and she won't play for more than an hour at a time.

I've been wanting to get my partner into games for a while. I've got plenty of stuff we can play together but hes always tired from work (hes 49, I'm 22). But hes more than willing to sit down with me and try stuff out. Only problem is that hes not very coordinated with both hands (ironicly, he plays the bass guitar, go figure), so I think it might be a task to teach him some Street Fighter. lol

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']I've been wanting to get my partner into games for a while. I've got plenty of stuff we can play together but hes always tired from work (hes 49, I'm 22). But hes more than willing to sit down with me and try stuff out. Only problem is that hes not very coordinated with both hands (ironicly, he plays the bass guitar, go figure), so I think it might be a task to teach him some Street Fighter. lol[/QUOTE]

If he was coordinated with both hands he would play the piano! :D

[quote name='javeryh']If he was coordinated with both hands he would play the piano! :D[/QUOTE]

You've got a point there lol

He has a very nice keyboard, but hasn't broken it out in a long time. I think the best thing to do would be to start out with the Atari Anthology and Activision Anthology....something for everyone on those. I got him Trivial Pursuit Unhinged for his birthday this year, but we've yet to sit down and play it...

How bout you guys settle your issues face to face, or at least at a different forum. Maybe he's a jerk of a boyfriend, maybe you're also following him on cag and trying to demean him in front of peers, this shouldnt be the place for it.

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']My girlfriend actually has gone as far as to say she hates videogames. It is most unfortunate, I've tried to get to the root of this clearly concerning hatred, but to little avail. Her ex played games a bit, and she didn't care for that, including wasting money that they didn't have on video games and she had friends who'd all get real into games while she'd zone out. If there's any one thing that could ruin our relationship this is it, but we're both willing to work through it as #1 I really don't play many games anymore, and #2 I've made haters into gamers before, I've just got to find the right game.

Although... she didn't care for Mario Party which is usually a guarantee :whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

There's always the good ol' reliable Rez with accompanying vibrator. :lol:

The only reason you still use the account on here is to snipe at me. If you're the adult that you claim you are, call me and say those things. You know it's not the one sided issue that you're presenting.

That's all I'm going to say on the subject. I apologize to everyone else for this detour.

[quote name='Quillion']The only reason you still use the account on here is to snipe at me. If you're the adult that you claim you are, call me and say those things. You know it's not the one sided issue that you're presenting.

That's all I'm going to say on the subject. I apologize to everyone else for this detour.[/QUOTE]

S'aright. I enjoyed the ownage. ;o

bread's done
Back