Gamersgate - Stalker: SOC $10

I bought this a while back when Steam weekend deal had it for $5 in November or so.

I just started playing it heavily until recently, it's a pretty amazing game at times. What turned me off initially is how difficult firefights were, especially since you have to scour for ammo for your first decent weapon. But once the money starts rolling, the loot and artifacts starts selling, it becomes really, really fun.

Extremely buggy, however.

[quote name='sniping_dreamer']I bought this a while back when Steam weekend deal had it for $5 in November or so.

I just started playing it heavily until recently, it's a pretty amazing game at times. What turned me off initially is how difficult firefights were, especially since you have to scour for ammo for your first decent weapon. But once the money starts rolling, the loot and artifacts starts selling, it becomes really, really fun.

Extremely buggy, however.[/QUOTE]

You should try some mods. Paradise Lost (my favorite) takes care of a lot of the problems in the game and makes it more interesting throughout.

How creepy is SoC compared to Clear Sky if anyone has played both? I don't deal with creepiness well, it's just not my idea of fun lol. Clear Sky was what I consider mediocre though, so related to that, how is SoC?

I'm really debating this as I've wanted to play the other for a long time, just not sure on the above. Bugs and such don't bother me, as Clear Sky was said to be similar but I encountered little issues with patches and a few choice mods.

SoC is a better game than Clear Sky, but it's also much creepier I thought. More freaky underground areas and you felt more alone in the world since you didn't mess with factions a whole lot. I thought the story was more engaging as well. If you don't like creepiness though you might want to stay away. I had a knot in my stomach for the first couple hours lol, pretty unsettling to play at first but I love that in games.

If anyone does get it I suggest you play it pretty much vanilla the first time around, with only minimal mods. Oblivion Lost is a great mod, but I thought it ruined a lot of the scripted sequences. Some of the tense firefights in vanilla only last a couple of seconds in OL due to the damage changes.

[quote name='Tooki']You should try some mods. Paradise Lost (my favorite) takes care of a lot of the problems in the game and makes it more interesting throughout.[/QUOTE]
Aye, someone recommended me to play through vanilla STALKER first, then go install mods.

I'm definitely trying Oblivion Lost., and maybe ramping up the difficulty level.

bread's done
Back