Games based on Rome?

MillerTime2523

CAGiversary!
Feedback
119 (99%)
After a few weeks of studying ancient Rome in global class, and watching through the movie Gladiator, lets just say that i've become very interested in the subject.

I thought that games based on Rome would be fun to play, but I was wondering what some CAGs thoughts were on how they were.

I know, I know, IGN and GS are right there, but sometimes they aren't so reliable. I also want just a second opinion from some people to let me know how they are.

Any must buys? Any games to stay away from? Here is the list of games I'm looking at:

Gladiator: Sword of Vengence (PS2, XB)
Gladius (GC, PS2, XB)
Shadow of Rome (PS2)
Circus Maximus: Chariot Wars (XB)
Colosseum: Road to Freedom (PS2)

Let me know if i'm missing anything. Right now i'm looking for some reccomendations from you guys, as I think the list is pretty much full. What do you think? Also, if you would happen to have any of these games available for trade or something, check my list. :D

A few PC games come to mind. One is Rome: Total War which is still easy to find. It may be in a 'Total War Package' at some stores.

Also the old Ceasar games.

I recommend checking out the HBO mini series "Rome" too while you are at it. I rented the entire first season during the Xmas break and it was awesome.

EDIT: I personally loved 'Gladiator, Sword of Vengence' but that doesn't really have much history tied to it. Its more mythological stuff

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm not really looking much for historicly accurate stuff, just whatever games are fun and somewhat relevant to the topic.

I just thought it would be cool to play a game as a gladiator or something like that.

Rome: Total War is an amazing strategy game and will definitely fulfill your Rome fix.

Gladius is a good but very easy SRPG with some characters and environments which are set in a Roman-like fantasy world but aren't specifically set in Rome.

[quote name='6669']God of War?
Rygar?[/quote]
:cold: How could i forget, lol.

:edit: I'm not completley familiar with those games. Aren't they based on greek mythology?

[quote name='MillerTime2523']:cold: How could i forget, lol.[/QUOTE]
:lol:
Sorry, that wasn't meant to be smart-ass with the question marks. Those were just my guesses, cuz I didn't know if they were Greek, or Rome, or something else I dont know about.
edit. Yeah, they might be Greek, IDK.

[quote name='6669']:lol:
Sorry, that wasn't meant to be smart-ass with the question marks. Those were just my guesses, cuz I didn't know if they were Greek, or Rome, or something else I dont know about.
edit. Yeah, they might be Greek, IDK.[/quote]
Yeah, i got it - I wasn't sure either lol.. Thanks for the suggestions - after looking at some videos on them i'll probably pick them up either way.

[quote name='MillerTime2523']Yeah, i got it - I wasn't sure either lol.. Thanks for the suggestions - after looking at some videos on them i'll probably pick them up either way.[/QUOTE]
Cool, they're great games, especially God of War.

[quote name='6669']:lol:
edit. Yeah, they might be Greek, IDK.[/QUOTE]

God of War's 100% Greek.

[quote name='DreamSymphony']Warrior of Rome I and II (genesis and maybe pc too) are awesome strategy games.[/QUOTE]

And alas, there was the third one due out for the SNES that was cancelled.

I think just about everything for home consoles has been mentioned. The only other ones I came up with were only on PC I think.

There's a game called Colosseum: Road to Freedom for the PS2. I've never played it to give you any kind of recomendation, however Gamespot gave it a 6.0 calling it a "button mashing", "hack-n-slash" game that one tires of easily.

Colosseum: Road to Freedom is fun if you get it cheap. My friend bought it for 20 used from Gamestop and we got way too much fun out of it. It's a hack-and-slash all the way, but you start to play it more strategically, as you can hit in multiple areas (head, left side, right side, feet) and you gain equipment by basically knocking them off your opponent and walking out of the arena with it. However, you can only carry so much so it becomes a question of what equipment you want to leave with. The historical battles, when you make it up to them, are absolutely awesome. Though I'll admit, there's problems, such as the repetitive nature of the hack-and-slashing and the fact that there's no way to lock onto people. Still, if you get it cheap, fun can be had.

Those are all great games, Im a total fan of that time period as well and have all the games you mentioned. While not historically accurate they are damn fun. I would also reccomend Spartan:total warrior. Its also a hack and slash but not roman per se, just around the time period and similar in style to the others.

As for PC, some of my favorites around that time period aside from the ones already mentioned are:
Civ city Rome
Age of Mythology
Titan quest
Zeus ( im pretty sure thats the name i will have to go dig into my collection and find it, but its an older city builder from Sierra)
Theres also an upcoming MMOPRG based on that time period where you can be a roman soldier and you fight all the mythological creatures. Its called gods and heroes and it looks really cool. Im defintely gonna be trying it out.

Theres also a few obscure older rts games. I just got Punic wars, and i know thers a few more I dont have.

Those are all the ones I can remember off the top of my head

If you have a genesis I highly reccomend all the ones mentioned in the previous posts. My personal favorite being centurion.

As for tv shows, you might want to chek out the latest docu drama about Rome from the bbc. Its like a docu but they do it in a story style thats almost as good quality as ROME on hbo. Each episode deals with a different emporer. They skim over a lot of history and its not entirely accurate but its still entertaining.

Out of your master list in the first post, be aware that circus maximus is the weakest of the lot.
Gladius is probably the strongest since its such a damn long game with so much to do ( and i love srpgs). The rest fall somewher in the middle.

Rome: Total War is AMAZING. I don't care for Strategy games and really despise RTS (except red alert), but it kept me addicted for about 3 months. As in I would play it an hour or two EVERY DAY for several months.

[quote name='radjago']It's a terrible game, but you can add it to your list.

Catechumen[/QUOTE]

WTF

That looks like satan himself coded it. Ive seen better graphics on a speak and spell.
The morbid side of me is curius enough to DL it to see if its as bad as it looks/sounds lol.

[quote name='Noodle Pirate!']WTF

That looks like satan himself coded it. Ive seen better graphics on a speak and spell.
The morbid side of me is curius enough to DL it to see if its as bad as it looks/sounds lol.[/QUOTE]
Let me quell your curiosity. It is.

You can add Maximo: Ghosts To Glory & Maximo vs. Army of Zin (both :ps2: games) to your list. However, beware of the deadly camera angles of frustration in part I. I can't vouch for part II though, since I haven't played it.

Damn, good topic OP. I have Gladius and will probably play it eventually. Of course there isn't anything remotely historically accurate (including the movie "Gladiator", unfortunately) ;). I'd really like some sort of RPG based on Rome. Yeah, might be too niche, but if done right most people wouldn't care.

I was a big Roman history junkie for a while. I took 5 years of Latin in Middle School/High School, went to Rome after graduating high school and again 10 years later. It is incredibly awesome to stand in something like the Pantheon and think of the history there...

[quote name='Xevious']You know...there should be a Toga Party Simulation game. What do you think?[/QUOTE]
I think one of The Sims Party Expansion packs let you do that.

[quote name='radjago']Semper ubi tua sub ubi.[/quote]
Always wear your underwear? I think I learned that from one of my teachers last year. ;)

Anyway, thanks for all the great suggestions guys! Keep it up.

I want to try this one:

4037.roman_bowl_iotd.jpg

bread's done
Back