Games for a little sister.

Krohboy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
My sister is 10 years old and my mom asked me to put together a list of games she might like for the Wii/Gamecube. I own the Xbox 360 so I havn't payed attenion to the Wii, let alone the games aimed towards younger audiences. Here is a list of games/Accesories I've found she would like.

Mario Party 8
Hannah Montana: Spotlight World Tour
High School Musical: Sing It
Cooking Mama: Cook Off
Wii Play with Wii Remote
Nunchuk (x2?)
Wiimote

PS: My Mom is having a hard time finding the Wii, anyone have any tips?
PSS: If we have three main players in the house will we need three Nunchuks aswell? Basically how often are they needed.

to find a wii, look in the sunday ads for them, and show up early. nunchucks are only needed in some multiplayer games, like wii sports boxing. most multiplayer uses the wiimote .get one, but three is a little unessasary, and isnt much of an investment. since it comes with wii sports, buying wii play would be enough for now. maybe buy just one more game with those, any more and your sister will be swamped with games, just like all the other hardcore gamers this holiday season

I see what your saying, I'd play some of these with her, but I got Call of Duty 4, Mass Effect, and Bioshock to play through yet. We own all of the Mario Parties up to 8 so it's a tradition we have.

just because shes a girl doesent mean you HAVE to buy her girly games. mario party 8, wii sports, and wii play are a good choice, but thats up to you. also, if its a tradition to get all mario parties, you may have to get the DS one ;)

[quote name='Krohboy']My sister is 10 years old and my mom asked me to put together a list of games she might like for the Wii/Gamecube. I own the Xbox 360 so I havn't payed attenion to the Wii, let alone the games aimed towards younger audiences. Here is a list of games/Accesories I've found she would like.

Mario Party 8
Hannah Montana: Spotlight World Tour
High School Musical: Sing It
Cooking Mama: Cook Off
Wii Play with Wii Remote
Nunchuk (x2?)
Wiimote

PS: My Mom is having a hard time finding the Wii, anyone have any tips?
PSS: If we have three main players in the house will we need three Nunchuks aswell? Basically how often are they needed.[/quote]
First thing, don't just get certain games because your sibling is a girl. Although you can tweak your choices, getting Cooking Mama (a game which I found to be broken) seems like a shady choice to me influenced mainly by gender/age.

This is a much more better catalog of games that you should look into.

Super Mario Galaxy - 2 players - Player 2 collects items - Rated E for Everyone
Ghost Squad - 4 Players - Wiimote Only - Rated T for Teen
Zack & Wiki - 4 Players - Only 1 controls the action - E for Everyone
Trauma Center New Blood - 2 players - Co-op Mode - Rated T for Teen
Mario and Sonic At The Olmpics - 4 Players - Rated E for Everyone

Generally every Wiimote will need its own Nunchuck.

To be honest, there's not a lot of great games I would say that are good for a 10 year old (gender aside). Obviously, Wii Sports comes with the Wii which is great for all ages. Wii Play maybe, probably get boring after awhile. The only reason I would get Wii Play is for the extra wiimote. If you're looking for one, then go ahead and grab it with the additional $10 for the game.

I would say Super Mario Galaxy in all. Even though it might be challenging for a 10 year old, she might like it. Also, good choice on Cooking Mama.

Edit: I wouldn't get Zack & Wiki for her. Game is way too challenging for a 10 year old. You don't want to make her kill herself, now do you?

[quote name='Chronotrigga']To be honest, there's not a lot of great games I would say that are good for a 10 year old (gender aside). Obviously, Wii Sports comes with the Wii which is great for all ages. Wii Play maybe, probably get boring after awhile. The only reason I would get Wii Play is for the extra wiimote. If you're looking for one, then go ahead and grab it with the additional $10 for the game.

I would say Super Mario Galaxy in all. Even though it might be challenging for a 10 year old, she might like it. Also, good choice on Cooking Mama.

Edit: I wouldn't get Zack & Wiki for her. Game is way too challenging for a 10 year old. You don't want to make her kill herself, now do you?[/quote]
Have you played Cooking Mama? The game controlled horribly when I rented it from Blockbuster. The game hardly did anything I wanted it to. And I personally think kids could slowly handle Zack & Wiki but that's just me.

[quote name='Zen Davis']First thing, don't just get certain games because your sibling is a girl. Although you can tweak your choices, getting Cooking Mama (a game which I found to be broken) seems like a shady choice to me influenced mainly by gender/age.

This is a much more better catalog of games that you should look into.

Super Mario Galaxy - 2 players - Player 2 collects items - Rated E for Everyone
Ghost Squad - 4 Players - Wiimote Only - Rated T for Teen
Zack & Wiki - 4 Players - Only 1 controls the action - E for Everyone
Trauma Center New Blood - 2 players - Co-op Mode - Rated T for Teen
Mario and Sonic At The Olmpics - 4 Players - Rated E for Everyone

Generally every Wiimote will need its own Nunchuck.[/quote]

I'm not saying Cooking Mama, based on gender, but on her DS collection because she loved the DS version.

I wasn't sure about Super Mario Galaxy and Mario/Sonic at the Olmpics for a 10 year old. I thought it might be a little too challanging. I could always play with her on Mario Galaxy right?

Maybe she'd like Trauma Center, I'll ask my mom. I havn't heard too much on Zach and Wiki, but it looks too hard for her.

I got the two Disney games from comercials (Her saying ooooh that looks fun!).

[quote name='Krohboy']I'm not saying Cooking Mama, based on gender, but on her DS collection because she loved the DS version.

I wasn't sure about Super Mario Galaxy and Mario/Sonic at the Olmpics for a 10 year old. I thought it might be a little too challanging. I could always play with her on Mario Galaxy right?

Maybe she'd like Trauma Center, I'll ask my mom. I havn't heard too much on Zach and Wiki, but it looks too hard for her.

I got the two Disney games from comercials (Her saying ooooh that looks fun!).
[/quote]
The main core of Super Mario Galaxy is easy enough. It's the additional stars once you beat the game that are a bit tougher. I mean you can't go wrong with the highest reviewed game of all time can you? :)

Mario & Sonic is a party game just like Wii Sports and I think your entire family will be able to get in on the fun. The problem with Cooking Mama is that it's pretty much exactly like the DS version except the controls aren't nearly as good or fun. I would avoid it. The DS version is superior.

Ghost Squad is something I think you're probably going to overlook but as a party game, it's a lot of fun. Almost no blood,the controls are great, and it's just overall a lot of fun.

As for Zack & Wiki, check the out the Zack and Wiki thread. Basically everyone who has given it a play has fallen in love with the game.

[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=NED0zcgYL9o[/media]

Don't forget that you'll have access to the Virtual Console as well.

Here is my suggestions:

Mario Galaxy- Fun for everyone and is just simply amazing.

WarioWare Smoothe Moves: The frantic fast paced action is great and the slight humor makes this game pretty cool. Plus the game is real easy to learn how to play since a lot of the minigames require real life motions.

Mario Party 8- (if she never played a mario party game before, if she has skip it).

Mario and Sonic

I wouldn't reccomend the Disney games. Ign gave those games like a 5 and a 6 on the ratings score, and generally I haven't seen a good disney game in like 10-12 years (ok not including kingdom hearts but well thats different).

Also please download Mario 3 and Super Mario World from the Virtual Console (assuming she never played it). Everyone who plays video games should have the chance to play those.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Here is my suggestions:

Mario Galaxy- Fun for everyone and is just simply amazing.

WarioWare Smoothe Moves: The frantic fast paced action is great and the slight humor makes this game pretty cool. Plus the game is real easy to learn how to play since a lot of the minigames require real life motions.

Mario Party 8- (if she never played a mario party game before, if she has skip it).

Mario and Sonic

I wouldn't reccomend the Disney games. Ign gave those games like a 5 and a 6 on the ratings score, and generally I haven't seen a good disney game in like 10-12 years (ok not including kingdom hearts but well thats different).

Also please download Mario 3 and Super Mario World from the Virtual Console (assuming she never played it). Everyone who plays video games should have the chance to play those.[/quote]
To give credit where credit is due - Disney Sports Soccer was fantastic! Rent the Disney games even though your sister may be interested in the license, it may turn out that she doesn't care as much about the core gameplay and ends up losing interest quickly.

Really, man... Zack & Wiki - doesn't rely on hand-eye coordination, fun and sweet, cute and pretty. Relies mostly on being awesome for the same reasons that adults and kids would enjoy - you solve puzzles!

It's lovely. See sig! :)

[quote name='mega_n00bzer']just because shes a girl doesent mean you HAVE to buy her girly games.[/quote]

Exactly what I was thinking.

I'm a girl and when I was 9-11 years old, I had a lot of fun with all kinds of games like Joe Montana Football (Game Gear), Sonic the Hedgehog (GG), Alex Kidd (Sega Master System), Columns (GG), Ghouls N Ghosts (SMS), California Games (SMS - I loved this game), After Burner (SMS), Devilish (GG), Super Mario Bros 1-3, Ninja Gaiden 1-3, TMNT, Double Dragon, Super Mario World, Mario Kart, Street Fighter II, Mario Paint, etc. I would've avoided any of the girly types of games - that kind of stuff just doesn't appeal to me at all.

Why not just ask your sister what she wants?? Or is this supposed to be a surprise for her?

I'd get:

Super Mario Galaxy
- you can never go wrong with any Mario game
Guitar Hero III - if she's into music games - my brother's little sisters-in-law really love playing GHII
Super Paper Mario
Rayman: Raving Rabbids - the first one is cheaper now that the 2nd is out; lots of fun mini games
Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz - I've never actually played this before, but the ones for Cube always had fun mini games
Zack & Wiki - I haven't played this yet... my copy from Amazon just shipped yesterday, but from the videos I've seen and all of the things I've read, it looks & sounds like a lot of fun

Maybe even just the Wii itself with Wii Sports & a copy of Wii Play would be enough because she might end up spending most of her time making Miis (which I did when I first got my Wii and still do from time to time) and messing around with other channels like Everybody Votes and Check Mii Out.

get her wii points ( WP= wii points)

yoshis story ( n64, 1000 WP) very cute. lacking challenge though.

mario 64 ( n64, 1000 WP) ultimate platformer. later stars might be challenging

super mario bros 1,2,3 ( nes, 500 WP) all fantastic. even SMB2. avoid lost levels, it basiclly super hard mario bros 1 minus the awesomness

sonic the hedgehog ( megadrive, 800 WP) I find kids love this game. ''look how fast he is!''

wii points cards come in 2000 points

[quote name='mega_n00bzer']avoid lost levels, it basiclly super hard mario bros 1 minus the awesomness[/quote]

I agree very much with mega regarding getting it for a 10 year old.

I don't agree with him at all regarding the game itself. I played it on a SNES emulator first, and I thought the level design was brilliant. A must-play to anyone who likes a proper challenge.

Does she like puzzle games at all? My sister LOVE things along the lines of

Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure

a puzzle game for the Wii that makes excellent use of the Wii's unique controls and such. Plus the reviews for it are great. $40 too.

Zack and Wiki looks too hard for a ten year old, IMO.

Cooking Mama is a great choice. I have both the DS versions and love them both, and rented the Wii version, which was also great. I'm still waiting for a price drop so I can buy it.

I'd also suggest Rayman Raving Rabbids.

Zack & Wiki is a great game. Hell, for $40 it's a good deal. But, I would agree it is too hard for a 10 year old. Unless your sister is a genius, it's going to take her a few tries to get through some of the levels -- maybe even in all of them. Hell, I know some CAGs here got stuck on many levels. Throughout the game, I got stuck on some where it felt like I just wanted to throw the game out the window (later levels -- like in the castle), because you had to constantly restart and restart -- or revive using doll if you wanted a horrible score. I think she would be better-suited for different games, not a puzzle game. The game is fun, but once you get stuck, it fucking sucks. That's pretty much the bottom line. If you want to play this with your little sister, then yes, I would suggest it. If she's playing it by herself -- eh.. this is borderline. I would recommend more games along the line of her playing with her friends. She's 10 after all. Do you want to socially cripple her for life?

[quote name='Chronotrigga']Zack & Wiki is a great game. Hell, for $40 it's a good deal. But, I would agree it is too hard for a 10 year old. Unless your sister is a genius, it's going to take her a few tries to get through some of the levels -- maybe even in all of them. Hell, I know some CAGs here got stuck on many levels. Throughout the game, I got stuck on some where it felt like I just wanted to throw the game out the window (later levels -- like in the castle), because you had to constantly restart and restart unless you wanted a horrible score. I think she would be better-suited for different games, not a puzzle game. The game is fun, but once you get stuck, it fucking sucks. That's pretty much the bottom line. If you want to play this with your little sister, then yes, I would suggest it. If she's playing it by herself -- eh.. this is borderline.[/quote]

01. She has her big brother.
02. Gamefaqs
03. Don't underestimate ingenuity of kids.

Guides are for noobs. Also, read last sentence. Which, leaves #3. Not all minds are alike, agreed, but she will still get stuck. As said, if her brother plays with her, then I would suggest it. It all depends. If she's playing it by herself, then it's borderline.

[quote name='Rocko']Zack and Wiki looks too hard for a ten year old, IMO.
[/QUOTE]

Pretty much was going to say the same thing. At first the game is pretty simple, just overall... I don't know if 10 year olds (in GENERAL) can handle a frustrating game like that. I love it, however I am 23. If I was 10, I would of been pissed off at this game many times.

My advice, as I have a 10 year old brother who got a Wii last year for Christmas would be...

Wii Play since it's another simple game that comes with a remote. Right there is total win.
2000 Wii Points As there are close to 200 games already on the Virtual Console..many games great for anyone. (Almost all Mario games are there)
Classic Controller *IF* getting Wii Points. Some VC games can use the Wii Remote, but some require the Classic controller OR Gamecube controller. (You don't need both, just one of the 2)
Carnival Games is like $40. I have it, my brother has it. It's pretty fun. The controls are pretty solid, and it's just a bunch of Carnival Games ;) (Lots to unlock too. So there replay value IS there)
Big Brain Academy Wii Degree seems to get looked over a lot. It's a fun puzzle game for anyone. Seriously. I think overall many people here prefer the DS versions..but it's not a bad game at all. Def a pick up and play game fo ANYONE!
Wii Zapper with Link's Crossbow Training $20 and you get a cool 'accessory' WITH a game. LCT is a pretty solid game. It's short and there's not much to it..but earning & beating high scores usually appeals to anyone. Plus the Zapper is pretty awesome, IMO :)
Ghost Squad is a Zapper game. It's ALSO $30. Maybe a squad based game may not appeal to her because yes, she is a girl and USUALLY 10 year old girls may not like that kind of stuff. However, it IS a fun game. With or without the zapper. It's also 4 players co-op..so that's always a good time
Mario Party 8 like everyone said. It's just a pretty good game.
WarioWare: Smooth Moves is fun and can appeal to anyone. Very easy to get into, and very easy to enjoy.
Rayman Raving Rabbids 1 OR 2 I only have the first one, and I hear the second one isn't much different. I loved it and so did my brother.
Cooking Mama: Cook Off like a few others said. IMO, only worth it on the cheap. Not a $50 game. So..try and get a cheap one.

Then there's a few others like Super Mario Galaxy or Super Paper Mario and even Sonic and The Secret Rings. It depends on her attention span. If she wants to play a game and really get into it and play for a while, then any of those 3 should be fine choices. Mixed with 1 or 2 from the list above, it would be a very merry Christmas for her :)

Thanks guys I'll be showing my mom the games you guys recommended. I'll buy her Super Mario Galaxy, as I loved Mario 64 as a kid.

Ghost Squad and Trauma Center for a 10 year old girl? I think that gives weight to the argument that the "hardcore gamer" doesn't know anything exists outside of their own sphere. I'm surprised RE4 or Metroid didn't make the list. I have an 8 year old boy and he can handle mario galaxy just fine, btw, so that may be the best suggestion. I'd also recommend the following:

Super Paper Mario - it's cute, girly cute, and it's a platformer, not just a pseudo rpg

Carnival Games - good wholesome multiplayer family fun

EA playground - it's also cute and great for multiplayer. It's more "boy" oriented, but the mini games are executed well and fine for everyone, adults included.

The Simpsons Game - Yeah, it has camera issues, but it's good clean fun (mostly) - if she likes the simpsons at all.

Sponge Bob: Creature from Krusty Krab - The Sponge Bob Games are surprisingly good platformers. If you can get this one on the cheap even better 'cause it's only about $20 or less good.

Open Season - This is not a bad game either for the younger crowd, especially for the $16 you can get it for at Circuit City. Probably even less at EB games, used.

Have you played Ghost Squad?

When I was 10, I was beating Super Mario Bros. World, Street Fighter 2, Mortal Kombat 2, and The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past. Again, don't underestimate the ingenuity of kids.

I think too many people talk down to kids nowadays and are regarding the material they consume and ignoring how they should behave in the first place. It's the reason little kids on XBLA are calling are sorts of names to the people they play against even if they were handed a E rated game to begin with.

Bottom line, Ghost Squad IS a fun party game. It's not Time Crisis and it's not House of the Dead. With the laughable voice over acting, I can't see how anyone couldn't see Ghost Squad as anything but a party game.

RE4, Ada is the best girl video game role model I can think of. She would totally dig it!

Jokes aside, I would recomend these games:

Super Mario Galaxy (Fun Game and who doesn't love mario?)

Zack & Wiki (This one could be challenging, however if she likes puzzles she would like it)

Rayman Raving Rabbids (Great if she wants to play with friends.)

Super Paper Mario (Cute, Funny, Mario, RPG. Get'em addicted early.)

A Bunch of Classic Points, everybody loves classic games.

[quote name='Zen Davis']Have you played Ghost Squad?

When I was 10, I was beating Super Mario Bros. World, Street Fighter 2, Mortal Kombat 2, and The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past. Again, don't underestimate the ingenuity of kids.

I think too many people talk down to kids nowadays and are regarding the material they consume and ignoring how they should behave in the first place. It's the reason little kids on XBLA are calling are sorts of names to the people they play against even if they were handed a E rated game to begin with.

Bottom line, Ghost Squad IS a fun party game. It's not Time Crisis and it's not House of the Dead. With the laughable voice over acting, I can't see how anyone couldn't see Ghost Squad as anything but a party game.[/QUOTE]

No offense to you intended in my previous post. No, I haven't played Ghost Squad yet, I've only watched the videos. Santa is bringing it to our house in 3 weeks along with Links Crossbow training. I guess I'm just a sexist pig who doesn't want to immerse a 10 year old girl into a world of firearms - yet. There are plenty of other target shooting games that work just fine for fun and playability. The ones in Carnival games and Rayman are terrific, and girly cute.

Games for a little sister, you say? Well, obviously I'd suggest Bioshock.

:whistle2:D I kid, kid...

It looks like you've got a good list yourself already, and I've seen some good suggestions, so you should be good. Hope she likes whatever you end up getting.

get Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles for her... she'll love it..

Hannah Montana: Spotlight World Tour works as well... that girls got the best of both worlds

bread's done
Back