Games for GOLD (August Edition) Crackdown, Dead Rising 2

One nice thing about this for Crackdown 2....I can FINALLY install the game. Thanks to the old Halo 3 beta being on the disc with Crackdown, you couldn't install it.

Downloading now!  The only problem is that I still have a retail copy(still sealed I think) and the TIV is shit and a turd everywhere.

On the DR thing, I liked DR1 and OTR better than DR2(have it for PC) just because of the photography aspects.  Then again, I'm a photographer.

"bought" it for nothing.  I beat it years ago but I'm compelled to "buy" it so that I'll own it forever and so that the developers will get paid by MS.

Free games are great and all, but its like they are not even trying.

What are you even talking about? Crackdown, DR2 (plus Case Zero) and AC2 are all great games. Plus Halo 3 is coming as well. Really don't understand that comment.

What are you even talking about? Crackdown, DR2 (plus Case Zero) and AC2 are all great games. Plus Halo 3 is coming as well. Really don't understand that comment.
Great Games I bought Years ago and Still Own!

Its like they went through their statistics and found the games that everyone already has and decided to give those away for free. At least they could throw a bone and give away something came out within the last 2 years.

Never played Crackdown but I have played 2 and kind of liked it. From what I am reading I should love the first one if I liked the second one.

Never played Crackdown but I have played 2 and kind of liked it. From what I am reading I should love the first one if I liked the second one.

If you liked the second you will definitely love the first!

ps plus gets games that came out last year, were over here stuck with 5-6 year old games.
On the bright side, the games that are free here are free for keep. That probably a double edge sword as companies ain't likely to put up a free to own copy of say Mass Effect 3 on this next month when compared to putting it up for free on Plus knowing it at least goes away if that expires.

This is nearly as good as PS+, but at least it trying. And owning a version of Crackdown that I can install makes me very happy.

Decent, I guess. Dead Rising 2 and Crackdown can be picked up for very cheap on eBay. I mean, I know it's free, but I know Microsoft can do better than that. Especially given it's the end of the life cycle for the system.

I wish they had a way for us to pick a single game from a library of older games (link one game per account per month, leading up to the release of the X1).

But again, it's Microsoft... and I'm sure a large portion of customers would find a way to abuse the shit out of it lol

I remember playing the demo for Crackdown a while back and thinking it was really fun and I wanted to play it.  Guess I ended up forgetting about it, but I'm glad they decided it to give it away for free, specially since I'm on my last day of XBL gold that I bought last month (for a dollar, just to get a 360 version of AC2, lol).

Happy to have the games, but I wish they'd have something else that wasn't rated Mature. My (teenage) daughter has only been able to get Defense Grid since this started. It's a freebie perk which nobody was expecting and so nothing that I'd get bent out of shape over, yet her Gold membership doesn't cost any less than mine; it would thus be cool if MS extended this to family-appropriate games down the road so she could enjoy the promotion too.

Well, I missed out on Assassin's Creed II since my gold subscription ran out and it didn't work with a gold trial I used.  I have ACII on PS3 so it wasn't a complete loss.  I also have Crackdown on disc, so I suppose I can wait until August 16 for Dead Rising 2 and Case Zero at the earliest to renew my gold subscription.

I don't play online with my 360 so a 12 month may not be worth it to me.  Then again, I'll be spending $50 on two 3 month subscriptions.

Anyone know what the JP games for Gold are for next month? I know they got different ones not ACII and not Fable 3 so just curious if they are getting something different on this again.
Well, from what I hear from certain sources, its Shadowrun (for now, dunno about the 2nd game). http://bit.ly/11vK2iV

Ger. XBL accounts also gets Shadowrun (1st), and also Lost Planet 2 (2nd).

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome. Beat Crackdown but no longer own it, and I own Dead Rising 2 on PC, but I can never get enough of that game.

Looking forward to playing through it again on Xbox

Hey, it's that game that came with the Halo 3 beta!

Seriously though I loved Crackdown!  Still need to play the second one...

Last edited by a moderator:
Never bought either of these but wanted to play both eventually.

So far I havent owned any of the free games we've been given. I hope that trend continues.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't work anymore. It said the promotion wasn't valid when I tried last month. I was lucky to get the offer on dashboard, so you may want to try that.

What a complete joke. Both $5 games on their best day. Not saying they weren't good but both are so readily available you can almost use the game discs as coaster. PS+ offers Xcom & Uncharted3, and you get these with Live? Oh microsoft, you never cease to disappoint. 

My gold ran out but I managed to get them. So I get to keep them and play without paying for a sub like ps+? And what is this Dec 31 date, is that when the program expires or games won't work anymore?

My gold ran out but I managed to get them. So I get to keep them and play without paying for a sub like ps+? And what is this Dec 31 date, is that when the program expires or games won't work anymore?

The games never expire. They are yours...forever.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't work anymore. It said the promotion wasn't valid when I tried last month. I was lucky to get the offer on dashboard, so you may want to try that.
I originated that thread back in December and again with the 1-month FREE update in February.

It was removed shortly after CAG 3.0 came online.

The 2-month $2 is showing the 'promotion no longer available' message while the FREE will still display but, for me, it will no longer accept the payment options that I have on file nor will it let me update with ANY kind of different payment option.

I had previously used it multiple times and alternated with 3 payment options and ALL 3 had worked before and now NONE of them can be updated or re-added to my account.

I've seen the links copied and posted elsewhere.

The reason Microsoft isn't giving out newer or "better" games is that they don't have to. They rake in money on Live memberships and they don't feel a ton of heat from Sony in this market. Sony on the other hand hasn't been as successful in monetizing online so they've had to offer better incentives. It's not that complicated, really. If you want to put pressure on Microsoft, preorder a PS4, cancel your Gold subscription, etc. That's the only type of pressure that they're going to respond to. I think the only reason they've even instituted Games for Gold is that it's a cheap way to achieve bullet point feature parity with Sony.

I originated that thread back in December and again with the 1-month FREE update in February.

It was removed shortly after CAG 3.0 came online.

The 2-month $2 is showing the 'promotion no longer available' message while the FREE will still display but, for me, it will no longer accept the payment options that I have on file nor will it let me update with ANY kind of different payment option.

I had previously used it multiple times and alternated with 3 payment options and ALL 3 had worked before and now NONE of them can be updated or re-added to my account.

I've seen the links copied and posted elsewhere.
Here's the best I can do for those links:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/303584-free-month-of-xbox-live-or-2-months-for-2/

Neither promotion appears to be valid anymore. I figured it was worth a shot for someone else to try.

Happy to have the games, but I wish they'd have something else that wasn't rated Mature. My (teenage) daughter has only been able to get Defense Grid since this started. It's a freebie perk which nobody was expecting and so nothing that I'd get bent out of shape over, yet her Gold membership doesn't cost any less than mine; it would thus be cool if MS extended this to family-appropriate games down the road so she could enjoy the promotion too.
Agree with this. I own practically all the lego games for my kids and I'm really not much of a fan of high gore blood fests (I mean when can I play them without the kids around?) so I'm hoping they can add in some better arcade games since my HD is maxed.

I guess it gets frustrating because each generation outside of Nintendo keeps getting more and more mature and the number of games I can get my kids is decreasing. Microsoft wants to make their products a special all around entertainment system but they forget about my kids. All the annoying horror ads on the dash, I have to password lock everything....kind of a tangent but I pay for my gold subscription just like everyone else but my preferences make it not really worth me getting anymore new systems with the current trends.

bread's done
Back