Games for Someone w/Poor Hand Coordination

jlieu

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I have an interesting situation that maybe you guys can help with.

I have a brother-in-law that we are getting a PS3 for and was looking for some games that he can play decently.

He was hit by a car at 12 and has permanent nerve damage. One effect of this is that his hand (usually thumb) freezes up sometimes and involuntarily shake for several seconds before he can regain control. Similarly, his other hand is a bit 'twitchy' at times.

He has had a Wii for awhile that he enjoyed playing some games. However, he is in his late 30s (but stuck with a teenager mentality) and is really wanting to play more "adult" games. We got a Move Bundle for him as well. For games that require intense hands-eye coordination, he often get very frustrated when he 'fails' or 'loses' due to his disability. Therefore, we want to try to get games for him that would help reduce such situations. IMO, He has control; however, the reaction time is just slower than a regular person.

On the Wii, he has played Resident Evil, Racing (Mario Kart) games, Hunting games, Skylanders, and the CSI series with much enjoyment.

What do you guys think about the Sly Cooper series or Ratchet and Clank?

Try the new XCOM game that came out. Turn based strategy game but with lots of action. Although its supposedly very challenging, I don't think his physical disability would factor in as it's turn based. Lots of very good reviews out for this game.

Little big planet karting, hell, all of the little big planet games. Yeah, they're not adult games, but they're really good games. All of the ps3 collections (god of war, infamous, ratchet, sly, jak and daxter) are all great games, but if his reaction time is bad he may find them frustrating, unless it's more of a reaction movement issue. I'm sorry that that happened to your brother-in-law even as long ago as it was.

Great, thanks for the recommendation. Never heard of XCOM, but will definitely look into it.

[quote name='Gden']Little big planet karting, hell, all of the little big planet games. Yeah, they're not adult games, but they're really good games. All of the ps3 collections (god of war, infamous, ratchet, sly, jak and daxter) are all great games, but if his reaction time is bad he may find them frustrating, unless it's more of a reaction movement issue. I'm sorry that that happened to your brother-in-law even as long ago as it was.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. Most of those will at least be more 'adult' than many of the Wii titles available, haha. I'll look into Little Big Planet, my family enjoyed that awhile back and it included kids of 7 years old. So that should work IMO.

Burnout Paradise. While he may get frustrated with some of the races, there is more than racing available in that game and a TON of things to find and do. For

Id go with xcom as well. He would never lose because of issues with hand eye cordination. Id think little big planet would be a bad idea. My girlfriend has bad hand eye cordination and gets frustrated on the harder later levels where a slightly wrong jump or not pressing the grab button at the right moment kills you.

It sounds like an arcade stick would benefit him since the thumb is not your main method of pressing buttons. Of course there arent a ton of games that can use the arcade stick and a good one isnt cheap.

The Walking Dead - not a lot of fast twitch control needed, since it is a point and click adventure type game. Definitely fits the "adult" type game IMO.

Looking through my collection, LA Noire would also be one that doesn't require much fast twitch type control (yes, there are shooting and fighting parts, but they are sparse).

God of War can be pretty forgiving if you just want to mash buttons on lower difficulty settings, and I think the entire set is going for $15 at Amazon and Walmart today. It's much more forgiving IMO than Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden, and Devil May Cry.

Sly, R&C, and Jak and Daxter are all good games, but do require a lot of timing for the platforming sections.

May seem obvious, but maybe let him try some games on the easiest difficulty setting? I've seen people who aren't very quick or coordinated manage to play all the way through shooters and other games that seemed to be beyond their skill level by just adjusting the difficulty. The realism goes down when you can get shot 20 times before you are in danger but it makes a difference for someone who has a hard time moving and aiming quickly.

Thanks everyone. Got him XCOM, God of War, LA Noire, and PS Move (w/Killzone) and some kiddy games. Let's hope he enjoy these out!

[quote name='waldo21212']The Walking Dead - not a lot of fast twitch control needed, since it is a point and click adventure type game. Definitely fits the "adult" type game IMO.

Looking through my collection, LA Noire would also be one that doesn't require much fast twitch type control (yes, there are shooting and fighting parts, but they are sparse).

God of War can be pretty forgiving if you just want to mash buttons on lower difficulty settings, and I think the entire set is going for $15 at Amazon and Walmart today. It's much more forgiving IMO than Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden, and Devil May Cry.

Sly, R&C, and Jak and Daxter are all good games, but do require a lot of timing for the platforming sections.[/QUOTE]

I don't know about the walking dead. There are a few points to where you have to move the right analog stick to the right place (for shooting, kicking, etc) or you die. While you don't generally need any hand eye coordination, for some part you kind of do and it would be frustrating for people who don't have good hand-eye coordination such as the OP's brother.

In my opinion, any turn based game or hack n' slash would be good. When I mean hack n' slash, I mean the games where you just mash the x button.

bread's done
Back