Games for Windows: Age of Empires III: 10 cents

EliotAndrews

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
Hey, all.
Games for Windows Marketplace just relaunched with a new, web-friendly system. To celebrate, they're doing "Deal of the Day's" all week.

Monday: Grand Theft Auto IV: $11.99 (40% off)
Tuesday: Borderlands: $9.99 (50% off)
Wednesday: Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY: $11.99 (60% off)
Thursday: Red Faction: Guerrilla: $5.99 (70% off)
Friday: Saints Row 2: $5.99 (80% off)
Saturday: Bioshock: $1.99 (90% off)
Sunday: Age of Empires III: 10 cents

http://www.gamesforwindows.com/

It should be noted that, so far, Steam has offered these games for less in the past. Therefore, I'd say "wait for the Steam Holiday Sale." (A CAG phrase that has been popular for about 6 months now.)

Thursday: I admit, Red Faction: Guerrilla at this price is a bit insulting since both Steam and D2D have offered the game for $4.99 in the past.

Saturday: This is easily the most surprising of the deals. Bioshock has been $4.99 at the lowest over at Steam. So, if anyone's interested, this is the perfect time to pick the game up.

Sunday: I'd like to know which CAGer's can resist a 10-cent game. (CAG TIP: Due to the "exchange rate," using your Microsoft Points costs you more money.)

Though it's not part of this deal, I thought I'd add that Bioshock 2 is the Deal of the Week: $9.99 (50% off)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice. Have the first two, nice to finally get the final expansion. Downloading now -- or trying to at least. Started to download, crashed, and now seems to be stuck at 0%. Get what I pay for, I guess.

[quote name='TLPRIME']Is it just the base game or does it include the expansions?[/QUOTE]

It includes both expansion.

I don't know what Age of Empires is really all about except for some vague memory that it's a strategy game but for 10 cents I'll play through the first level at the very least.

Thanks OP. Have the game and have beat it but I don't have the expansion so I'm definitely happy to spend my 10 gamer points on this.

[quote name='Spokker']I don't know what Age of Empires is really all about except for some vague memory that it's a strategy game but for 10 cents I'll play through the first level at the very least.[/QUOTE]

As an avid fan of RTS games.. this, AoE Age of Kings, AoE II and Rise of Nations are my absolute favorite RTS games of all time. Give it some time and play it. You'll get hooked. Don't let the .10 price point fool you, lol

Wow. Good eyes guys. Decided it was time to jump on the GFWL bandwagon, for 10 cents, I can roll the dice. Loved AOE II, haven't played it in years, but always wanted to try AOE III. Now's as good a time as any!

Ugh this is so annoying !!

everytime I start the GFWL client it tells me I need to download the "Windows Live ID Sign-In Assistant" so I go and download it but it wont install because I get an error. But I cant tell what the damn problem is :cry:

FML

anyone have a fix ?

or is there a Microsoft support email ?

[quote name='ClevelandBrowns']Never downloaded anything from games for windows marketplace. Where do I get the product key for when installing?[/QUOTE] Underneath where you see the progress of the download and whatnot there should be a thing that says "View Game Keys". Click that, and you should see the product key.

[quote name='TLPRIME']Hmmmm GFWM keeps crashing when i try to download AOE3. Severs must be getting hit hard.[/QUOTE]

Did you look at the error message? The same thing was happening to me. Turns out the GFWL Client was using up all my memory and crashing. Each second it ran, I lost 1% of my RAM to just the client.

But if the Client is running, but minimized, I don't have this problem. It has been successfully downloading now for 20 minutes.

[quote name='inubu']Did you look at the error message? The same thing was happening to me. Turns out the GFWL Client was using up all my memory and crashing. Each second it ran, I lost 1% of my RAM to just the client.

But if the Client is running, but minimized, I don't have this problem. It has been successfully downloading now for 20 minutes.[/QUOTE]

Confirmed. Unless the client is minimized it hogs up all your memory and eventually crashes.

Is there a fix for this?

*edit* Also if it does crash you lose all download progress and have to start over. Lame.

[quote name='TLPRIME']Confirmed. Unless the client is minimized it hogs up all your memory and eventually crashes.

Is there a fix for this?[/QUOTE]

I've been looking but I haven't found one. Glad I'm not alone in this.

Quite the hassle at 1:30 AM, but worth it for the deal.

Lol...glad I only paid 10 cents for this. This client is plain busted.

I can't even make a post in the support forum there. Tells me I need a gamertag...So it sends me to the page to sign up for Xbox Live and create a gamertag, but I already have a tag..that I was logged into to begin with. Sign in and it tells me I have invalid credentials. sigh... back to Steam.

[quote name='basilofbkrst']Why does everyone say it's a glitch when its the daily deal on the gamesforwindows homepage?[/QUOTE]
Because that banner wasn't there before.

Well, I own the original AOE3 and the first exp pack, so I guess I just bought the second one for ten cents.

Ya know - today I promised myself that I have so many RTS games installed on my hard drive that I wouldn't buy anymore.

Good find OP - my promise was broken literally hours after it was made!

Give us Gears of War and Fable on sale already, GfWL.

PS:

Thanks for the digital copy of AoE3 plus its expansions for $0.10. I liked using some stray MS points I'd had forever, wanting something to use them on to reclaim my money. Digital backups of said game (plus expansions I never bought) seem worth it.

Let's see Gears of War for... oh, let's go rich and say $0.25 and Fable for what it's worth, which is $0.05. A shiny nickel for Fable! You know you want to do it, MS!

I've never played any of the Age of Empires games, but for $0.10 I'll give anything a go.

Thanks OP!

bread's done
Back