Games for Windows: Age of Empires III: 10 cents

EliotAndrews

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
Hey, all.
Games for Windows Marketplace just relaunched with a new, web-friendly system. To celebrate, they're doing "Deal of the Day's" all week.

Monday: Grand Theft Auto IV: $11.99 (40% off)
Tuesday: Borderlands: $9.99 (50% off)
Wednesday: Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY: $11.99 (60% off)
Thursday: Red Faction: Guerrilla: $5.99 (70% off)
Friday: Saints Row 2: $5.99 (80% off)
Saturday: Bioshock: $1.99 (90% off)
Sunday: Age of Empires III: 10 cents

http://www.gamesforwindows.com/

It should be noted that, so far, Steam has offered these games for less in the past. Therefore, I'd say "wait for the Steam Holiday Sale." (A CAG phrase that has been popular for about 6 months now.)

Thursday: I admit, Red Faction: Guerrilla at this price is a bit insulting since both Steam and D2D have offered the game for $4.99 in the past.

Saturday: This is easily the most surprising of the deals. Bioshock has been $4.99 at the lowest over at Steam. So, if anyone's interested, this is the perfect time to pick the game up.

Sunday: I'd like to know which CAGer's can resist a 10-cent game. (CAG TIP: Due to the "exchange rate," using your Microsoft Points costs you more money.)

Though it's not part of this deal, I thought I'd add that Bioshock 2 is the Deal of the Week: $9.99 (50% off)

Last edited by a moderator:
Buy this! The AoE games are so damn good. I played the hell out of them years ago. 10 cents to not have to dig out my discs the next time I want to play? Sure!

If you're looking for games that will run great on your netbook, you won't do much better than this.

[quote name='Coyotezeye']I cant get mine to download. the damn client thing keeps crashing :([/QUOTE]

I downloaded the client about a year ago and haven't touched it since. When I tried to open it up this morning it wouldn't connect. So I redownloaded the client and it works fine now. Try that if your issue is similar.

It's Microsoft's game so they can charge 1 gamer point if they wanted. It's a great way to get people to download their marketplace. And when you play the game you load their software and maybe see another game to buy... which helps them with market penetration.

Smart marketing/business move by Microsoft.

Just a tip for everyone who picked this up and plans on playing, if you launch the game from the Client, it will just bring up the installation folder. You can click the game launcher from there, or the simpler way is just to launch from the Games folder in your Start menu.

[quote name='vauhs']Even though it's only $.10 I'm skeptical about DRM. =/ Anyone know if this can be removed later on?[/QUOTE]

Really? It's $.10 and you're complaining about possible DRM? This is cheaper than all non-free iPhone games, for gods sakes. If you're worried about DRM, spend a buck and buy 10 copies. That should last you as long as you want.

[quote name='madogmgd']Eh,

I WOULDNT use my credit card if i were you
If its not on their file already it will keep it there for life.

If it is on there just use your MSP

Because as soon as microsoft sees its a mistake.
They can always do some legal thing to jump the price up to 40$ and charge your card for it.

Might not happen but its FRIGGIN MICROSOFT
Anythings possible.[/QUOTE]

nothing to see here, this guy has been threadcrapping all morning

Got AOE 3 just hoping it will eventually show up for download, shows purchased just getting the "sign out and try again later" when I look at my "download queue". I would be hard to pass up a game for 10 cent, used left over points from when I had an Xbox 360.

You can pay for this one with (10) Microsoft points, but it'll cost you an extra two cents that way. :whistle2:k

[quote name='EliotAndrews']Age of Empires III is up for 10 cents. This might be setting some kind of digital distribution price record.[/QUOTE]

In terms of legitimately offered prices, you're probably right. Outside of pricing errors and choose your own price, I don't think I've ever seen a lower offer.

There's a very real chance I'll never play this, but what the hell. I literally don't think I can say no to this for a dime, especially given the amount of loose change on my desk right now...

[quote name='INCyr']Really? It's $.10 and you're complaining about possible DRM? This is cheaper than all non-free iPhone games, for gods sakes. If you're worried about DRM, spend a buck and buy 10 copies. That should last you as long as you want.[/QUOTE]

I'm not worried about using the activations up, I'm worried about the damn DRM software installing a rootkit onto my computer.

ok, I take away my AWESOME... damn thing won't let me sign in to the client to download, although I know I am doing everything right. Feels like using Bing Rewards all over again... blah!

"Thursday: I admit, Red Faction: Guerrilla at this price is a bit insulting since both Steam and D2D have offered the game for $4.99 in the past."

How is a dollar price difference insulting?

I can't even buy it anymore nor can I add a credit card. The SD thread on it was put into the Spam section as well. What's going on?

How does the drm work on these games the website is vague. I got it anyway but was not quite sure since AOE3 was not a gfwl game to begin with.

[quote name='martyback']"Thursday: I admit, Red Faction: Guerrilla at this price is a bit insulting since both Steam and D2D have offered the game for $4.99 in the past."

How is a dollar price difference insulting?[/QUOTE]
It's mostly because this is CAG, and every cent counts. Having that been said, the game has been on sale throughout the year for $4.99 on Steam and Direct2Drive.

So, for Microsoft to charge $5.99 is definitely curious, and any discerning CAGer will note the extra money.

By the way, faithful CAG's, I made a note on the original post, since it seems some people are using MSPoints to buy Age of Empires III. Not the worst "mistake" to make, surely, but one that can have an effect on one's CAGliness.

Has anyone tried installing this? i keep getting the CD key prompt...but i cant find where that would be to enter. And yes, i checked my email and spam boxes my GFW Live ID is connected to.

I have to say, it's amusing that this single deal has gotten more attention from CAGer's than the thread dedicated to this sale.

It's understandable, though, since the only truly good deals have been Bioshock and Age of Empires III. The other sale prices, in my opinion, have been disappointing.

Download of item failed. Retry later.
Code: 80131620
Anybody else getting this error?
Figured it out it was automatically signing me into and old account . I signed into my current account and downloaded with no problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just grabbed this game, which is the first time I've used GFWL. Tried installing the game, but it's asking me for a product key. It says it's on the back of the product packaging, but I bought it online so obviously that doesn't exist. Any idea what I'm supposed to do here?

[quote name='Jeffstr']Just grabbed this game, which is the first time I've used GFWL. Tried installing the game, but it's asking me for a product key. It says it's on the back of the product packaging, but I bought it online so obviously that doesn't exist. Any idea what I'm supposed to do here?[/QUOTE]

Same situation.

[quote name='jr8rulz']Has anyone tried installing this? i keep getting the CD key prompt...but i cant find where that would be to enter. And yes, i checked my email and spam boxes my GFW Live ID is connected to.[/QUOTE]

in your gfw section that lists the games you own, there is a cd key tab.

10 cents? sure, why not.

even better... knock out 10 of the 20 unspendable microsoft points i eternally have attached to my balance.

(ie.. 420, 820, 1620).... thanks axe!

ah well... one more 10 cent purchase and i'll be even steven again :)

[quote name='Jeffstr']Just grabbed this game, which is the first time I've used GFWL. Tried installing the game, but it's asking me for a product key. It says it's on the back of the product packaging, but I bought it online so obviously that doesn't exist. Any idea what I'm supposed to do here?[/QUOTE]

you need to sign into your gfw, go to downloads, then click the cd icon, and there is a view key tab below it.

Well, my purchase is still blocked because I'm apparently not over 13, I am also not a human because I can't even download "Everyone" rated games.

On the phone with MS now, they got some techno music when you are on hold. It sounds so weird to my alien ears.

[quote name='Tokyojon']you need to sign into your gfw, go to downloads, then click the cd icon, and there is a view key tab below it.[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much

[quote name='jaso']Same situation.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='tukai']It's asking me for a product key. Where do i get this?[/QUOTE]

Under downloads click on the game icon. Next, click on the link that says "View Game Keys".

[quote name='madogmgd']Eh,

I WOULDNT use my credit card if i were you
If its not on their file already it will keep it there for life.

If it is on there just use your MSP

Because as soon as microsoft sees its a mistake.
They can always do some legal thing to jump the price up to 40$ and charge your card for it.

Might not happen but its FRIGGIN MICROSOFT
Anythings possible.[/QUOTE]

Yes, because they want more bad publicity by magically stealing your money. This isn't going to happen. If something bad did happen, you'd complain, they'd give you free stuff and bend over backwards.

Get over the hate.

Awesome, thanks OP! I remember playing the original Age of Empires ions ago. I used my odd amount of leftover MS Points, so this worked out terrifically.

It's too bad there doesn't seem to be a gifting option on the GFW client (unless I'm completely overlooking it). This would be an awesome gift to my brother.

bread's done
Back